New Topic Respond to this Topic
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-22 16:45:14 Reply

At 3/22/11 07:44 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Update since my last post. A US warplane has crash-landed.

"A US warplane has crash-landed in Libya, a US military spokesman says.

The spokesman, Kenneth Fiddler, told the BBC there was no indication the F-15E Eagle had been brought down by hostile fire.

Both crew members ejected safely after what was believed to be a mechanical failure, US officials say."

Desert air, coupled with the high tempo of these raids and the location of the crash landing lead me to believe this was likely a mechanical fault, most common for these theatres being engine stall by dust clogging and/or engine fatigue. It'd make even more sense if this F15 has seen service in Afghanistan recently. F15's are old and only getting older.

The thing with the F15s though is they have alot of failsafes to prevent them from just crashing out of mid air due to mechanical failures but engine fatigue would be the most likely of any explanation if pilot error wasn't a factor.

iateamexican
iateamexican
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-22 16:46:41 Reply

At 3/22/11 04:43 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Since when does any modern fighter, US or otherwise divebomb?
At 3/22/11 04:41 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Dive bombing isn't necessary with modern bombs.

Ha ha, oh wow.
'Dive bomb' as an exaggeration of 'crash'.
You guys really are that stupid..

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-22 17:05:14 Reply

At 3/22/11 04:46 PM, iateamexican wrote:
Ha ha, oh wow.

No, but you are. For thinking that anyone could predict such a thing if all preflight checks were correctly carried out.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-22 17:59:05 Reply

At 3/22/11 04:46 PM, iateamexican wrote: Ha ha, oh wow.

How are we supposed to make a connection between WWII bombing strategies and jet engine failure?

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-22 19:53:26 Reply

Jet engine failure = America is stupid.

you people are really grasping for straws, eh? Also... my fucking topic... get back on subject.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 14:17:57 Reply

The USA has taken a step down and is now taking a less significant role. A European power will be the main player in this it seems. Gaddafi seems to be getting cold feet lately. Or, that is what Secretary of State Hilary Clinton says.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
smeagol1
smeagol1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 15:07:36 Reply

I'm hearing it's possible Obama could get impeached for this attack. Another waste of tax payers money, another war.

Enter Thy Metal Hell
.NG Cryptozoology Club
www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 15:12:31 Reply

At 3/23/11 03:07 PM, smeagol1 wrote: I'm hearing it's possible Obama could get impeached for this attack. Another waste of tax payers money, another war.

You hear wrong.

The president has to commit a crime to be considered being impeached.

The house of representatives has to charge him with a crime.

The senate has to have the trial.

He has done nothing illegal or outside the confines of the constitution. Not to mention the cause was just.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 15:51:25 Reply

At 3/22/11 04:45 PM, All-American-Badass wrote:
At 3/22/11 07:44 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
Desert air, coupled with the high tempo of these raids and the location of the crash landing lead me to believe this was likely a mechanical fault, most common for these theatres being engine stall by dust clogging and/or engine fatigue. It'd make even more sense if this F15 has seen service in Afghanistan recently. F15's are old and only getting older.
The thing with the F15s though is they have alot of failsafes to prevent them from just crashing out of mid air due to mechanical failures but engine fatigue would be the most likely of any explanation if pilot error wasn't a factor.

This is true, F15s, specifically F15E's do indeed operate failsafe systems, but these are mostly for the event of electronic failure, such as the controls frying up. Think of it as running yourcomputer on 'Safe Mode' since the failsafes act as a kind of back up aircraft control system.

Mechanical failure is that, the physical mechanics break down and unless these are reduntant (ie a wing piece where using Fly By Wire the other wing and tail panels can compensate) any issues mechanically aren't going to be fixed electronically.

An educated guess would be that there are two main issues that resulted in the crash.

One is that high levels of dust clogged up moving parts in the air intake, resulting in loss of airflow and therefore loss of power. This would then result in a stall, and if not fixed before a safe altitude the pilots did right to eject. Large quantities of dust, especially in sand storms or dust clouds, can literally stick to surfaces inside jet engines like glue and stop them from moving effectivelly or moving at all. Get enough dust in your intake fans and you're fucked, however unless there's some heavy dust cover in the skies above Libya or the airforce base/carrier these fighters are operating from, I'd be suprised if dust clogging was the case considering how early into the operation this crash occured.

The other is engine fatigue/failure. This could be a result of dust damage to the air intakes (different from clogging, rather then 'freezing' the parts up in a sheet of thick dust, dust damage causes metal parts to rust and/or decay out of shape and occurs over time, usually over a period of a week or two in high intensity air campaigns. At high speeds, it's surprising how much dust can eat away at the surfaces of paint and metals) It could also be a result of aircraft over-use, maintenance failure/human error in repairs, or simply old componants finally giving up. As I already said, F15s, even the E series, are getting old. Cannibalising parts from stockpiled F15's is comman practice I hear from USAF pilots I've met since its seen as too expensive and time consuming to replace many engine componants outside of the usual cycle of refits/retrofits/upgrades, but this is heresay so don't take my word as fact.

The latter seems more likely if it's a mechanical and not electronic issue, but unless this particular aircraft has been involved in intense fighter runs in afghanistan recently it's unlikely dust damage was the cause.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 15:57:53 Reply

At 3/23/11 02:17 PM, Cootie wrote: The USA has taken a step down and is now taking a less significant role. A European power will be the main player in this it seems. Gaddafi seems to be getting cold feet lately. Or, that is what Secretary of State Hilary Clinton says.

From what I've seen on the news the states have made this abundantly clear from the get go. Due to military assaults on muslim nations lead by America in recent years there could be a crusade like image amongst the locals in the middle east. And I think the European powers want the Arab league to take control of the situation again for the same reasons to not give the impression of "white domination" or some shit. But they don't seem to want to lead either. This could all go tits up pretty soon.

BBS Signature
someguyishere
someguyishere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 15:59:43 Reply

Supposedly, a jet fired on a civilian during the rescue operation, and the civilian propped himself up against a broom stick after being hit with shrapnel, and forgave the pilot for what he thought was an accident.

Jesus christ.

"Oh, I just got shot at by an F-15, no biggie."

And we still have prejudice against middle eastern countries. I don't understand it. On top of that, some libyan civilians helped one of the pilots and treated him with "dignity and respect".

Loo Loo Loo, I got some apples, Loo Loo Loo you got some too.

Comrade
Comrade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-23 23:53:31 Reply

Ghadhaffi is spreading lies on state television saying that American air strikes have hit hospitals and day cares and shit. He's having pretend photoshoots with soldiers wearing civilian clothing acting wounded or dead, and he had his men fire tanks on a hospital to make it look like it was bombed.

Next Saddam Hussein? or even crazier?

ElijahMoishe
ElijahMoishe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-24 01:14:53 Reply

At 3/23/11 11:53 PM, ComradeMolotov wrote: Ghadhaffi is spreading lies on state television saying that American air strikes have hit hospitals and day cares and shit. He's having pretend photoshoots with soldiers wearing civilian clothing acting wounded or dead, and he had his men fire tanks on a hospital to make it look like it was bombed.

Next Saddam Hussein? or even crazier?

I read that he is actually taking dead bodies out of morgues and setting them up at those sites to make the death count look even bigger.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-24 09:34:15 Reply

This just in: For the first time a Libyan warplane violated the no fly zone, and the French splashed it 8D
http://abcnews.go.com/news

That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
CyprusX
CyprusX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-24 09:43:56 Reply

I must be prophetic or something

USA attacks Libya

Best band ever, click it.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-03-24 09:57:02 Reply

At 3/24/11 09:34 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: This just in: For the first time a Libyan warplane violated the no fly zone, and the French splashed it 8D
http://abcnews.go.com/news

I'll be damned.

I'm surprised the Libyan Airforce decided it was a 'smart' idea to send just one aircraft up when there's such a large coalition presence in the air.

Side note. Be interesting to see if the anchor who pulled out an AK on Libyan State TV really follows through with his claim that he will die defending Ghaddafi.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

BBS Signature
Quicksmasher
Quicksmasher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-06-18 18:40:19 Reply

FYI, the 90 day grace period where the president does not need authorization from congress to deploy troops expires tomorrow.

However, Obama argues that the mission does not meet the hostilities threshold in the war powers act, meaning he needs no authorization from congress at all.

Some members of his legal team say it does meet the hostilities threshold, some say it doesn't. Either way, military operations will continue in Libya, and the president is taking some serious shit for it.

BBS Signature
lilfozzy
lilfozzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-07-05 18:14:09 Reply

At 3/19/11 05:32 PM, Lorkas wrote:
At 3/19/11 05:29 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 3/19/11 05:27 PM, Lorkas wrote:
Then it's only a matter of time til America puts a puppet dictator.

and your a retard for thinking that we think like that!

Prome
Prome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to USA attacks Libya 2011-07-05 18:21:14 Reply

I really feel sorry for the ones that think america is doing the right thing, hate america-get ignored. I don't really know what to say. As you people will probably laugh at it. But you realize that media and government brain-washed you right

Also, they do kill each other however, this doesn't concern americans.

cop