Animator
explodingbunnies
explodingbunnies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 13th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

Read the first review. Saw : Short campaign.

Fuck this game. I thought they might actually have put care into the campaign before I'd have to rush off into the very same online matches I've seen for years now.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.
PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature
UltimateSavior
UltimateSavior
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 13th, 2011 @ 02:55 PM Reply

"I was not disappointed that the story was short; I was disappointed that I couldn't spend more time in the Homefront universe"

That, my good friends, is a good sign for THQ. It'll leave us satisfied yet wanting more.

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 06:17 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Don't be stupid, Travis. You know that plenty of today's games are built with multiplayer in mind.

If you want a long, fun game with a great story, then play Mass Effect.

There should be more than one developer(bioware) that (mostly)dedicates itself to singleplayer games.

Multiplayer is too focused on these days.

Anyway, on Topic, Homefront to me just looks like another generic war shooter. Doesn't look bad though, but nothing new.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 07:02 PM, Travis wrote:
At 3/14/11 06:17 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 3/13/11 02:34 PM, Travis wrote:
At 3/13/11 02:24 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: I don't care how long the campaign is.
I do believe this is why these things called "stories" have all but one limb in the grave.
Don't be stupid, Travis. You know that plenty of today's games are built with multiplayer in mind.
Hold on... you just confirmed what I said? I said "I do believe this is why these things called 'stories' have all but one limb in the grave."

With more developers building games with only multiplayer in mind, it is killing storylines.

You are aware that this is THQ right? All of the FPS are story based (Metro 2033, STALKER, etc) and I don't see how this is different.

And if you actually read the reviews it says "that the story draws me in, and makes me want to know more". THQ is wanting to make this a franchise, and from the looks of it, I can't see how it isn't going to be great.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 06:32 PM, ironraven24 wrote:
There should be more than one developer(bioware) that (mostly)dedicates itself to singleplayer games.

Bethesda. Obsidian. There's two more.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 08:13 PM Reply

To the people who claim that short stories are a bad thing, its quality, not quantity. If you played a 20+ hour story and got nothing good out of it, compared to a 4-6 hour story with incredible strength, which one will be better?

I pre-ordered the game the other day and was gonna get it despite the fact I suck at FPS and if the reviews sucked (which they don't).

explodingbunnies
explodingbunnies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 07:39 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Fallout 3

This one made you lose your credibility. Here's the Story :

YOU'RE IN THE VAULT. DAD LEFT. FIND HIM. YOU FOUND HIM. OH NO ENCLAVE HES DEAD. OH HEY FIX THE WATER. OH NO THE ENCLAVE AGAIN. NOW YOU CAN FIX OR POISON THE WATER. OH AND THERES MUTANTS AND SHIT. HOORAY YOU MESSED WITH THE WATER, NOW BUY A $10 EXPANSION SO YOU CAN KEEP PLAYING.

As fun as it is, it has such a terrible story that I almost didn't want to play it. Don't you dare bring that game's story up in a discussion about game stories.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.
PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 10:59 PM Reply

Oh come on Travis, MW1 had a great story, don't tell me you weren't just like "WHAT THE SHIT THIS IS AMAZING" when the nuke fell

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 11:45 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 11:30 PM, Travis wrote: I said Call of Duty is unbalanced. Black Ops, WaW, MW2, and yes, even my beloved Call of Duty 4 is unbalanced.

It's not unbalanced if everyone has the same access to guns.

Vultyrex
Vultyrex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 11:45 PM Reply

I've played Call of Duty with my brother all the time and after a while, the game loses it replay value. Yeah sure, its decent as you play it the first few times but after a couple of times through, it's boring as fuck. You already know what's going to happen and the gameplay never changes.

Playing against people online is a joke. I can't find a single match without someone using some form of cheating hack. So that's a joke in itself. I'm an above average player so I know its not my game playing skills. The game is very overrated in my opinion.

Just lurking...

Vultyrex
Vultyrex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 11:59 PM Reply

I seriously don't see what bullshit is being said upon a simple opinion.

Just lurking...

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 12:06 AM Reply

It's like nobodies ever heard of Gamefly.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 12:07 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 12:00 AM, Travis wrote: At 3/14/11 11:51 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:

And you two are still fighting over stupid shit? Awwww, how cute.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Most of the reviews seem to be mentioning that Homefront actually does really well with its story and setting. I'll see for myself first, but it just makes me more hopeful that John Milius managed to do something with material he's done quite well with in the past.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:16 AM Reply

This argument is hilarious. Travis, stay on topic or go to another thread. Rightwinggamer, just.. you know... chill.

IMO, a good story doesn't have to be long, the only thing it should affect is price. For instance, I like Flower's story for what it was. A great $5 story. I'm liking ME2's story for what it is, a fantastic $60 story.

BBS Signature
IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 3/14/11 10:19 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: YOU'RE IN THE VAULT. DAD LEFT. FIND HIM. YOU FOUND HIM. OH NO ENCLAVE HES DEAD. OH HEY FIX THE WATER. OH NO THE ENCLAVE AGAIN. NOW YOU CAN FIX OR POISON THE WATER. OH AND THERES MUTANTS AND SHIT. HOORAY YOU MESSED WITH THE WATER, NOW BUY A $10 EXPANSION SO YOU CAN KEEP PLAYING.

This.

When you're talking about great stories in games, I don't get why, out of all the main Fallout entries, you'd pick 3.

Really fun, but it had a pretty bad story.

#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 12:00 PM Reply

lmao, IGN's review makes no sense.

It's so unique, but so typical.

Goodie, first reviews of Homefront

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:33 PM Reply

Saw a preview of this. Looks like typical CoD bullshit. Why anyone is excited for this game is beyond me.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
Danavers
Danavers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 10:19 PM, explodingbunnies wrote:
At 3/14/11 07:39 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Fallout 3
Here's the Story :

YOU'RE IN THE VAULT. DAD LEFT. FIND HIM. YOU FOUND HIM. OH NO ENCLAVE HES DEAD. OH HEY FIX THE WATER. OH NO THE ENCLAVE AGAIN. NOW YOU CAN FIX OR POISON THE WATER. OH AND THERES MUTANTS AND SHIT. HOORAY YOU MESSED WITH THE WATER

Fuck you, I just started that game.

BBS Signature
Krbyfan1
Krbyfan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 12:00 PM, Makeshift wrote: lmao, IGN's review makes no sense.

It's so unique, but so typical.

I played through one third of the game and am thoroughly unimpressed. Yeah it's colorful, but looks a bit blocky as far as humans go, and there was a love story shoehorned in which ends one mission after you realize it exists.

Really the only parts that got to me were seeing a kids parents murdered right in front of him and watching people burn to death. Even then, so far it's not really unique, especially with the somewhat wooden acting early on.

Oh, and the real world adverts intended to make you feel immersed are forced down your throat. You can't spit without seeing an advert or logo for something, this includes Full Throttle and NOS energy drinks, White Castle, Tiger Direct.com, and Hooters. Immersion my ass, now I'm just hungry for wings.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:33 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: Saw a preview of this. Looks like typical CoD bullshit. Why anyone is excited for this game is beyond me.

It plays like typical CoD bullshit, but it's presented differently. I found the first few levels to actually be some of the best shooter material I've seen in a long long time. The later levels however slacken up a bit and become much more typical CoD style.

Have yet to try multiplayer... not enough servers.

Optimisticperson
Optimisticperson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 11:25 PM Reply

Well, I saw the whole typical shooter thing coming. When you think of all the copies the COD series sold, you don't really try "New" controls.

"Would you kindly..."

Tovi-Noname
Tovi-Noname
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Goodie, first reviews of Homefront Mar. 21st, 2011 @ 11:43 PM Reply

I don't have a lot of good things to say about this game. The story itself isn't terrible, but the only time it's every really anything "gripping" is at the very beginning where the game does its best to show us what dire condition the no longer United States is in; and with decent results.

But from there, the game just sort of drifts off into becoming every other first person shooter I've ever played; not that I expected much different.

I'm slightly disappointed in how few of the areas within the campaign actually take place in well-known areas (other than the Golden Gate Bridge, you really never see any recognizable landmarks). So the areas you're running in are very generic; it honestly reminds me of a Left 4 Dead campaign where I'm running through random suburbs and fields, rather than a war-torn America.

I'm glad we don't spend every moment of the game skipping between the Statue of Liberty and the White House, but it would have been nice to see some really defined areas. This isn't a game-breaker, so much as it is a small disappointment.

All in all, the campaign isn't bad, but it's certainly not worth rushing to the store to purchase this game to play it.

As for the multiplayer, the only word I can use to describe it is "clunky". Whenever I'm jumping, it almost seems like I'm in some sort of moonbounce. I also seem to run into and get caught up against a multitude of things that I don't feel as though I'm very close to, which causes me to die far more than it should (because it shouldn't be a problem at all).

I really wish there was a better way to describe it, but movement in this game just seems off. With this being such a new game it may just be something I need to attempt to adapt to. But the multiplayer isn't anything too diverse, and with a lack of game modes that take us anywhere but far from just playing team deathmatch, it really just doesn't seem worth getting used to.

One thing I can say I enjoy about the online experience is that the maps are fairly large, and they don't have a whole lot of places where one can simply camp the entire match, thus keeping it from being a CoD clone (the controls are the exact same, but really, the control scheme CoD uses is fitting, so I'm glad).

The addition of being able to use vehicles (by earning them, rather than by being first to the cockpit) is also a welcome change to recent FPS releases. They're used by earning BP throughout the battle, allowing you to spawn as whichever vehicle you purchase.

But as far as I'm concerned, the online play isn't anything legendary, and all of the problems I seem to have outweigh the few good things I've noticed about it. Personally, I've never been a real expert in the FPS department, so this is more of an observation by the average gamer; if you're not big into FPS games, I would certainly avoid this game altogether. The campaign is decent enough, and the multiplayer isn't the worst thing I've ever played, but the game really doesn't have enough diversity to keep its head above water, IMO.

Is it because I'm not a hardcore FPS player that I dislike the online? Maybe. I look forward to seeing what anyone who has any actual skill with games like this has to say.