New Topic Respond to this Topic
J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 10:54 AM Reply

I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones suitable for mixing under $25. I had a $10 pair that were decent but they broke this morning and I have no speakers! I have to use my crappy iPod headphones!!!

I was looking at these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d o?product_id=10980444&findingMethod=rr

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-MDRXD200-
Studio-Monitor-Series-Headphones-with-Le ather-Ear-Pads/13904810

Contact me if you would like reviews on your music! (or Collabs)

Join The Audio Portal for another place to post music

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 11:40 AM Reply

I use these headphones, and they're really good. Very clear sound, and they don't have too much bias in any one frequency range. They're pretty much the same price as the second pair you were looking at, but I've used these ones and I'd personally recommend them.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 12:14 PM Reply

If you go with Rampant's suggestion, careful with them in the cold. The bits that hold the ears get brittle.

I'll +1 them as decent headphones for the price bracket.

BBS Signature
acmeDyne
acmeDyne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 12:15 PM Reply

See joshhunsaker's headphone breakdown in
this thread.

There's a couple of budget models in there. I've never used used 'em myself, but he really seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to gear.

J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 12:21 PM Reply

I don't know if I want those sony headphones. I was going to get them awhile ago but they look really small and I like 'around the ear' phones.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 12:58 PM Reply

Studio Headphones = > $25.

lel

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 01:17 PM Reply

The headphones you need to be looking at in this price range are:

Cheapest:
Behringer HPM-1000 - $10.91
- Pretty amazing value for the money, not the last word in sonics obviously but for $11 it's pretty much impossible to go wrong, this is my new recommendation for the audio producer on the ultimate budget

Middle-of-the-Road:
Creative HQ-1400 ~ $18 (looks like they're unavailable through amazon now)
- Absolutely superb phones (unbeatable for the money they typically cost TBH). The headband is a major weakpoint though (it WILL break after some time) so be warned that you may at some point need to fabricate a custom band for it... These may actually be discontinued however as I can't seem to find them anywhere (sadly).

Higher-end:
AKG K44mkII - $39.99
- These are about as good as you can do under $50 for everything considered (no headband issues here and excellent sound). I'd stretch if possible to pick these up.

ReklessCreati0n
ReklessCreati0n
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 01:40 PM Reply

I got my pair of SkullCandy Headphones at Target for $29.99 I feel it was a great deal! They are comfortable and have great sound.

They are called the Skullcandy lorock, or something like that, I like em :)

until i get the beats of course

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature
WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 12:58 PM, Sequenced wrote: Studio Headphones = > $25.

This is unfortunately true. The best you'll get in your price range is these, in my opinion.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Kylenorbury
Kylenorbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 02:14 PM Reply

Get some Skullcandy .G.I's.. You can get some on ebay for about 35 dollars.. Worth it in my opinion.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 01:55 PM, WerewNC wrote:
This is unfortunately true. The best you'll get in your price range is these, in my opinion.

Actually, yeah - that looks to be a very good deal, wow, I didn't think you could get audio technicas so cheap!!

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 02:25 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
At 3/11/11 01:55 PM, WerewNC wrote:
This is unfortunately true. The best you'll get in your price range is ATH-M20s, in my opinion.
Actually, yeah - that looks to be a very good deal, wow, I didn't think you could get audio technicas so cheap!!

They are still headphones for less than $25, Josh.

J-N-R, they might satisfy you for a while, but you shouldn't get them. Save up and by a pair of these. I found mine shipped for $47.55. They're better than some $250 headphones I've listen to. (Bose is a joke though.) It's worth saving up.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 03:15 PM Reply

Please do yourself a favor and don't touch skull candy.

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 02:55 PM, WerewNC wrote: They are still headphones for less than $25, Josh.

Huh? Yeah, I mean exactly. Which is pretty cool. I'm confused as to what you mean.

J-N-R, they might satisfy you for a while, but you shouldn't get them. Save up and by a pair of these. I found mine shipped for $47.55. They're better than some $250 headphones I've listen to. (Bose is a joke though.) It's worth saving up.

Yes, audio technica has a great line-up though undoubtably the ATH-M50's are something of the holy grail of it's price range currently. I would say those topple the Senn HD-280 PROs for my typical $100 headphone recommendation. Not real impressed by the ATH-M30 that I currently have but those are relatively cheap.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 03:44 PM Reply

Go to headphone.com, read their reviews and read their frequency response graphs. The closer to flat the graph the better the headphones are for studio use.

1) Set search options to < $25
2) Read entries
3) ???
4) Best headphones for studio use under 25 dollars.

Done.

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 03:22 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
At 3/11/11 02:55 PM, WerewNC wrote: They are still headphones for less than $25, Josh.
Huh? Yeah, I mean exactly. Which is pretty cool. I'm confused as to what you mean.

Yes, audio technica has a great line-up though undoubtably the ATH-M50's are something of the holy grail of it's price range currently. I would say those topple the Senn HD-280 PROs for my typical $100 headphone recommendation. Not real impressed by the ATH-M30 that I currently have but those are relatively cheap.

What I mean is, to some extent (less than any other headphones in that price range) you get what you pay for. The ATH-M20s aren't as good as your M30s. Yeah, it's an obvious statement, but where do you draw the cut-off between, "that'll do," and, "you'd be better of using your iPod headphones and saving up"? That's not nearly as obvious. At an impedance of 40ohms, he might even need to get a headphone amp if he goes with the M20s, and he's mixing on a laptop. (I'll leave the folks that mix on their laptops with 40ohms head phones to answer that. I bet they'd do fine without an amp.)

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Thanks guys.
I am really considering on spending twice as much for the AKG K-44MKII Headphones.

BBS Signature
WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 09:03 PM Reply

I looked to see if I could find the deal on the ATH-M40fs that I found when I got them, but I can't. However I did find
this (hope that link works) if you can spend $50 and someone else doesn't get them first. They'll knock your socks off. Flattest headphones I've ever listened to, and I've listened to a lot. About half the people that have listened to them and M50s say the M40s sound better. The only downside is they're shit construction. My first pair was DOA, but Audio-Technica has great costumer service. I'm pretty sure Josh would agree with me that if you can afford the M40s, get them over the AKG K-44MKII. Luck.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 04:11 PM, WerewNC wrote: At an impedance of 40ohms, he might even need to get a headphone amp if he goes with the M20s

And I'm a moron for getting impedance and resistance confused from my days repairing headphones. Generally lower impedance headphones are louder. Definitely shouldn't need an amp for those suckers. Not, that they wouldn't sound like shit compared to M40s.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Kylenorbury
Kylenorbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 11th, 2011 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 03:15 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Please do yourself a favor and don't touch skull candy.

Your opinion. I don't like the other skullcandy headphones but the G.I's were actually pretty good for the price and work great for recording with my band. Better sounding than my singers Sony MDR's he uses in my opinion. It's all opinion anyways. ( unless they're the JVC 2 dollar special at Dollar General).

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 12th, 2011 @ 12:31 AM Reply

Very rarely do I buy a pair of headphones for more than 30$. But then again, I know not just one, not just 2, not even 3, but 4 places I can find decent headphones for cheap. (and I need those places too, headphones only last me about 3 months on average.

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 12th, 2011 @ 12:33 AM Reply

Sorry for the dub post, I forgot the second half of my first one:

Generally, if I do end up with a pair of headphones I'm not satisfied with, I'll train my ears to "get used" to their sound, then mix according to what I'm used to. That really came in handy recently when I bought a pair of headphones that were ridiculously loud on the higher frequencies.

HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 12th, 2011 @ 06:41 AM Reply

Huh, wow. You guys.

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 12th, 2011 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 3/12/11 12:31 AM, blackattackbitch wrote: Very rarely do I buy a pair of headphones for more than 30$. But then again, I know not just one, not just 2, not even 3, but 4 places I can find decent headphones for cheap. (and I need those places too, headphones only last me about 3 months on average.

You ever think how long they last and how much you pay for them might be related? :p

DjCryogenetic
DjCryogenetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 12th, 2011 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Grab some senhiezer HD 201's. Best headphones ive ever used, reliable and incredibly durable. It, and its brother the HD 2's are the only ones ive used. The HD 201's are 23 -30 depending on your area, but the HD2's are about 60. You will need to drop a bit of cash for anything really usable.

Check out my Favorite Track Current

BBS Signature
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Studio Headphones under $25? Mar. 13th, 2011 @ 02:37 PM Reply

At 3/11/11 10:40 PM, devilfreak wrote:
At 3/11/11 03:15 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Please do yourself a favor and don't touch skull candy.
Your opinion.

I've seen my friends go through three different pairs of skullcandy headphones and then finally decide to go with a better make after the third one busted. Not only are they not very durable, but if you were to compare them to any higher end headphone (that would cost about the same as a pair of skullcandy ones) you should notice a huge difference in sound quality.

I understand that you think it's his opinion, well just like how I can say I didn't think the holocaust was all that bad, you can say that skullcandy headphones are great for recording.

Back on topic: if you're really into making music I would just save some money and get a pair that is really made for production.