00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Elfen Lied

15,642 Views | 96 Replies

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-10 18:16:35

At 3/10/11 06:06 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Some of the most brilliant minds of the world were struck down in the education institutions they were enrolled in, often struggled to keep up in the beginning or even dropped out.

Your claims don't phase me, intimidate me, nor do they bother me. All I see is a flaunting, unwarranted self important "intellectual".

I merely wanted to show to you that I am not completely stupid in every respect. As I said, I did not want to go there for the very reason that it portrays what you suggested. I would much prefer that this argument had been conducted in a more civilised way than it has, and for that I apologise.

You were being quite condescending yourself, I'm just playing fair game here.

Again, I apologise for that. It frustrates me that many people (though not necessarily yourself, though I have seen examples in this thread that have brought out my frustration) have such prejudices against these shows and those who enjoy them.

My brother is a director, and my best friend is a novelist, so I do have some sort of inkling as to how stories and stylistic decisions are made.
These stories of consistent personal or related success seem very convenient to be bringing up all at once. I'm not convinced.
Unless you really are some rich kid who owes all their success to the fact that they were bought in, had connections and the right circumstances.

I have no real connections in this way. My and my relatives successes were gained through effort and work on their respective parts. The reason I am bringing it all up now is simply because I did not want to sound self-important, and did not think them very relevant at the time. Having said that, I did make a little effort to make their successes sound more important than they were. My brother is a more-or-less unknown director who has so far directed an as of yet unreleased documentary on Falcons in New Zealand, and my friend has not had any of his work actually published, though I believe he has won certain competitions.

Opinions can only be taken seriously when they are treated seriously. Subjectivity and practicality go hand in hand, and I can't stress enough that it's not just one or the other. It would be ignorant to say the safe thing, and assume subjectivity only has it's place, as would practicality.

Here I cannot help but agree. However, how much value one places on practicality is, in itself subjective. Personally, I put more value on the messages and values behind shows, as well as how much I personally enjoyed them than technical things such as sloppy animation or voice acting.

But, yes, opinions matter. They are essential to the functioning, the developing and the educating of the things around us. They help us to understand if things are as good or bad as they really are. Remember though the important of hard work, effort, intention, creativity,etc.

I can't take your opinion on this show seriously.

I agree that there is a large factor of that, but that does not mean I can't enjoy the show in spite of a few of those.

Can we settle this with a simple conclusion?
These arguments never end. They'll continue as long as we question things and think about why we like or dislike what we do.

To summarize the matter with this quote: Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and they usually stink.

I know that quote. It's a good one.

I'm not going to convince you of anything, and you aren't going to convince me of anything. May we go our separate ways and agree to disagree?
Yep.

Done.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-10 20:21:02

I thought of Elfen Lied as interesting ; not for the nudity or for the violence ; but for the tragedy of certain characters. It's not everyday you find little children being broken apart from families.

Oh, and only reason most of the time the characters were nude is because they weren't treated like actual humans; more like lesser beasts who were dangerous. Also, the most of the nudity in the show wasn't perverse at all; it was simply being realistic with some things. Lucy and the other Diclonius girl were sometimes nude outside of the lab and research facility because they mostly didn't have experience with clothes (they were forced to live nude) and thus they don't have the ridiculous mindset of "modesty". Just to clear that up.

Also, I found a lot of stuff in Elfen Lied unnecessary, but it wasn't much of a turn off. Like I said, the show was only trying to be realistic when someone dies and someone is treated like a lesser animal. Other than that, I liked the main theme song of the show, it was mind numbingly chilling but so good for the harmony of the lyrics.

Honestly, I had hoped that the show would go on further than 13 episodes, but it unfortunately didn't. I think it should've gone like the manga and not a cliffhanger (although the anime was good too).

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 00:10:45

At 3/10/11 05:29 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote:
At 3/10/11 05:02 PM, Hoeloe wrote: A load of horse feces I can't bother to reply with either.
You're a fine example of boring anime fans which has pretty much turned me off of the industry altogether.

Good, the anime industry doesn't need halfwit elitists like you clogging up the fanbase in the first place.

Anime is becoming really hard to take seriously when shows are being marketed specifically to people as yourself.

Oh yeah, because anime has to be about serious shit all the time, therefore blood, boobs and fun is not allowed in anime anymore according to you. Last time I checked, they were pretty popular with normal anime fans, so they must be knowing something you don't, or your head is up your ass again.

In character-driven, we have:
Clannad
Kanon
Angel Beats
Azumanga Daioh
My god, if these are the sort of shows that you'd attribute as "character driven", you really are underexposed as I thought.

Did you just pick those 4 anime out of random, or do I detect a hint of jealousy?

I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll say stupid shit.

Fix'd

In plot-driven, there are:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Rozen Maiden
FLCL
Yep. Underexposed.

You made my point.

Now I know you're not making any sense here, either that, or you need to pick popular anime again, so that you can trash it for no reason.

Please don't try to impress your opinion on me as fact. I am free to like what I will.
I wouldn't dare try to impress someone like you. I'd have to smash my head with a hammer to lose as many braincells as you would have. And you might be free to think what you want, but you're not any more wise for your opinions or conclusions.

Opinion noted, dumbass. And besides, no one here wants to impress you because they are going to get cussed out for disagreeing with you over the smallest things. You do realize that not everyone likes what you like, right?

I am merely suggesting that you shouldn't judge this show from the clearly little you know of it.
Your suggestion is worthless because the show isn't good.

Wow, that's all you could've said. But no, you had to be a smartass elitist, and make a mockery out of yourself once again by the rest of us. And besides, I know that you haven't seen Elfen Lied anyway, but knowing you, you decide to trash it because it's too popular for your tastes, and yet you haven't even seen a single episode, have you?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 00:21:05

At 3/10/11 08:21 PM, SuperSilver123 wrote: I thought of Elfen Lied as interesting ; not for the nudity or for the violence ; but for the tragedy of certain characters. It's not everyday you find little children being broken apart from families.

Like every shonen in existence has a character with no parents and/or no family. Nothing special.

Oh, and only reason most of the time the characters were nude is because they weren't treated like actual humans; more like lesser beasts who were dangerous. Also, the most of the nudity in the show wasn't perverse at all; it was simply being realistic with some things.

You're joking, right? That is utterly laughable considering the show played off of Harem and comedy aspects. You can't be serious in that it wasn't intentionally perverse.

Lucy and the other Diclonius girl were sometimes nude outside of the lab and research facility because they mostly didn't have experience with clothes (they were forced to live nude) and thus they don't have the ridiculous mindset of "modesty". Just to clear that up.

Cop out. You're just trying to justify that there was some deeper meaning into their breast juggling, and the constant ass shots.

Also, I found a lot of stuff in Elfen Lied unnecessary, but it wasn't much of a turn off. Like I said, the show was only trying to be realistic when someone dies

Oh yeah, bodies being torn apart, heads being decapitated. Real realistic. You can try to fool others into thinking there are some deep meanings and symbolisms to the characters' actions. And I understand that they meant to include those. The problem is that the series is also so blatantly indulgent and pandering, that I could hardly take those themes seriously in the least bit.

Also, you're talking about racism being something fresh or enlightening? Astro Boy, Mobile Suit Gundam both focused on those aspects decades before.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 04:13:53

At 3/8/11 02:43 AM, Flak wrote: but why he doesn't tell truth?

Because he knew a thread about this would come up and the title "Elfen Lied" wouldn't make sense if he told the truth.

I often wonder why people lie... some people lie about things that don't matter.

What does it mean?

!NG Birthday List! :3 Current Count: 151 <3|||HELLO OPERATOR!|||Greatest Thread Ever!

Formerly, and still,Rahvin-the-vampire. Thanks Valjylmyr :)

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 05:56:32

At 3/8/11 12:42 AM, Davidxtrem wrote: I just finished Elfen Lied today and I recommend this! especially for their ost which is AMAZING

what do you guys think about this one?

It's amazing. It's one of the first animes I watched and I love it.

Elfen Lied OST

btw Lucy is hot :3

No. She is fucking hot.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 08:37:54

The best anime series out there. I highly recommend this if you like anime!

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-03-11 20:34:25

I said it once, I'll say it again.

Fucking weeaboos.

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 03:42:51

apperently someone needs to know about intense animes like this. you see, a storyline such as this represents how people react to others that are different, and shows the type of things that cruelti for being different can do. NOW heres some info about the actual story: she was beaten, ridiculed, scolded at, for something that wasnt her fault, she had gone through hell and beyond. a story as extremely emotional and touching as this one shouldnt be blocked or censored because Anime has the amazing ability to touch and connect with ppl more then any non-anime and so why not keep it all real? if this were to happen, and Lucy (or for those of u who have looked on wikopedia, Kaede) wouldnt censor shit, shed do exactly what the anime showed. every bloodshed every scream every tear every single thing you find "shitty" about it was absolutely necessary. like the scene with the puppy being beatin to death, i was so shocked i wasnt even able to cry, i felt like it but it seemd even my tears were shocked. so you know what its you whos at fault here. you just cant appreciate anime displaying how a real event of that situation would go down, or anime doing its job: showing us and touching our hearts and minds with storielines and shows and characters and events that no real actors and actresses can do a half job of. i think its one of the best animes ever made in my opinion.

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 03:48:56

elfen lied (elf-en lee-ed) means elven song. and as far as i know its actually the commonly used melody through out the show. the one in the intro video and the music box that lucy was so fond of. thats just as far as i know however about what the song actually is

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 04:07:38

Lmao Elfen lied is a good show but it's not that gory or have much nudity just go look for ecchi/gore anime & you'll find much worst then elfen.

Show was okay but story was a bit weak and.... wait you just finish watching this.... it's been 7 years...

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 04:09:49

Oh hey my old thread came back. I think it's my only thread with at least 4 pages.

cool : P

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 04:31:10

I watched the anime earlier this year and found it to be both intense and satisfying.

what i liked most about it is probably the fact that, despite the fact that it has nudity, its not of the arousing kind.
it was as if i had too much respect for these characters to even think of fucking them (similar to how i respect Lighting from FFXiii)

then theres the theme of the show, bloody carnage in an otherwise peaceful environments, its bi polar but it works.

i just wish i didnot start watching it after i came off Death Note because i was in the mood for smarter animes.

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 06:10:49

Borrows very heavily from Akira, but then many animations do.

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Response to Elfen Lied 2011-09-18 06:28:06

At 9/18/11 04:09 AM, Davidxtrem wrote: Oh hey my old thread came back. I think it's my only thread with at least 4 pages.

cool : P

Then I'm going to cross my fingers for another 4 pages.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 18:26:20

It's incredibly flawed and only really known for it's violence and gore, which was a shock back then but after playing dead space I can't really be affected by most of it.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 18:43:41

Elfen Lied is completely overrated, which is disappointing since japanese horrors are usually really good psychological thrillers about the characters minds rather than the audiences shock. Absoloutely nothing happens for ages, not even any build up or tension, just nothing. When something did happen past halfway through I was past caring and stopped watching. If you like gratuitious tits and violence then youll like it. Id recommend Higurashi no naku koro ni instead since its everything Elfen Lied isnt.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 19:53:16

I'm not going to lie, I really dislike the Elfen Lied Anime.

Compared to the manga, it sucks, hard. Especially since the second half of the series is so rushed in the anime. You can really see this in the last two episodes.
I recommend anyone who watched the series to read the manga also, it really explains more of the back story and the characters have a more in-depth character development.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 22:08:01

My freind reccommened this anime to me i saw the first couple of episodes and it got boring. Is it seriously worth watching?

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 22:11:05

I would give it a 6.5/10.

The voice acting was HORRIBLE, at least in English, and I've heard that the Japanese voice acting sucked as well. The nudity was pointless and made me feel gross because the nude girl is either slaughtering people, or she has the mental capacity of a 2 year old and/or retard. It ended on multiple cliffhangers, and was left completely unresolved. I personally did not care at all for the character models, idk, maybe that was just the typical anime character style at the time, but they looked weird to me.

The main guy in it was a complete tool. Half the time he had no idea what was going on. His cousin, who was IN LOVE WITH HIM, was also a whiny bitch.

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 22:52:44

At 3/8/11 12:42 AM, Davidxtrem wrote: I just finished Elfen Lied today and I recommend this! especially for their ost which is AMAZING

what do you guys think about this one?

Elfen Lied OST

btw Lucy is hot :3

I watched it a couple years ago. Even though it's somewhat funny and perverted with some very violent flashbacks, it's pretty sad.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-02 23:28:32

Although Gory and violent, Elfen Lied is byfar one of the better animes ever created.

The story itself is extremely deep, and tests the morality, and HUMANITY of humans in refrence to anything Foreign.

God... WHen Lucy told the main character the truth it was the most heartbreaking thing ever.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-15 18:30:57

At 6/2/12 07:59 PM, CockGobbler wrote: Elfen Lied is entry level shit, probably one of the worst entry level anime in existence. 90% of the anime sucks and it doesn't get good until the last couple episodes, but unfortunately it is completely ruined by having one of the worst endings I've ever seen in an anime, comparable to that of Magikano.

Which is the reason why the manga is better.

Seriously, the anime ended halfway around where the manga was at.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-15 18:32:26

At 6/15/12 03:07 PM, MidoriKatsu wrote: I saw Elfen Lied and I just had to phoenix down this thread.

Why did you bump a shit thread about a shit anime?

Do you like shit that much?

Why dont you eat it then?

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-15 20:47:10

elfen lied at it's core is a dr jekyll and mr hyde esque romance,with too much fanservice in a show where little girls get torn in half.

the themes of this show are nature vs nurture (lucy admits her species will wipe out human race and she infected a random chick with the Diclonius gene ,chief wants to wipe out the human race),genocide,racism,humanity's capacity for cruelty

if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-15 21:05:50

At 6/15/12 08:47 PM, captainlolz wrote: elfen lied at it's core is a dr jekyll and mr hyde esque romance,with too much fanservice in a show where little girls get torn in half.

Yeah, I would put Elfin Lied as more of a horror themed show than a romance. As for the fanservice, well it's obviously a show aimed for adults, so complaining about fanservice in an adult show is moot.

the themes of this show are nature vs nurture (lucy admits her species will wipe out human race and she infected a random chick with the Diclonius gene ,chief wants to wipe out the human race),genocide,racism,humanity's capacity for cruelty

While it's true that Elfin Lied has plenty of those themes you mentioned, the anime in itself is more blood and nudity more than anything else, particularly in the first couple of episodes.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-15 21:15:13

At 6/15/12 09:05 PM, orangebomb wrote:

While it's true that Elfin Lied has plenty of those themes you mentioned, the anime in itself is more blood and nudity more than anything else, particularly in the first couple of episodes.

Maybe it's just me but when it comes to split personality issues with characters, the evil personality seemed to be the genocidal version of the said character while the good personality on the other hand...is good.

Granted Lucy/Kaede has three personalities and the third was actually genocidal.

They seemed to do that with other series as well, I mean I wonder if Gemini Saga was a hornless male diclonius. That or it might have inspired Lynn with that idea.

Nana actually has the "voice in head" syndrome as well but she chose to ignore it, tells you something about "nature vs. nurture" kind of thing although Stockholm Syndrome helps in her case.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-21 17:48:16

what's so hot about lucy. i saw the whole anime begining to end and P.S. i'm not gay but this anime is messed up.

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-21 18:11:12

I've never loled so much in life with this Anime...
Lucy kinda reminds me of Asuka Langley if she was on crack and had no sense of humor..
The definition of a Sadistic solution, is usually someone painted all over the walls with their own carcass and blood, all this to be loved?
Makes me wonder if that's where the movie Chronical got the idea from, naww that's just a coincidence, it has a similar concept...

Aside from not always making sense and jumping the shark at every driven moment, I still kinda enjoyed it, a point of view is usually seen with the most unexpected, but don't judge me own i how i feel in seeing young children having their torso being ripped from their body, not to mention her motives are usually a Genocide of HATE and revenge, it just soo unfortunate she can't take the heat when people piss her off..

Where's a shrink when you need one?

BBS Signature

Response to Elfen Lied 2012-06-21 20:47:50

At 6/21/12 05:48 PM, DJB0tDude wrote: what's so hot about lucy. i saw the whole anime begining to end and P.S. i'm not gay but this anime is messed up.

You should have read the manga.

The anime ended halfway where the manga was.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature