New Topic Respond to this Topic
ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:44 AM Reply

My boner still hasent gone down yet even after ejaculation, I think Im going to have to call a doctor. But other then that Its a huge step up from the last and now I really cannot wait until march 8th?

I played it on PS3 and thought the game was great what did you guys think?

Also be warned if you play you might get a permaboner so be cautious and try to blink often!

ugh

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:30 AM Reply

I also played it today (PC), and I have mixed thoughts.

The narrative, and opening was subpar compared to Origins. Not really bad, I just felt that Origins had a much stronger opening.

They removed the tactical camera from the PC version, alright, I'll miss it. At least I can pan my view and zoom out a little bit. Hopefully they'll update the DA:O mod tools eventually, then modders will just fix this.

The UI was kind of ugly. Albeit simple, I much preferred Origins' UI. Not really a big deal though, at least we have a quick bar. (PC)

The combat is much more fun than Origins. Bare in mind, I liked Origins combat, I just thought it was annoying that you basically had to trick and lure the AI, and chug tons of health potions to win fights in higher difficulties. Honestly I wish the combat would be more like Baldur's Gate. It's also extremely over the top and gory. I honestly didn't expect to see men swinging around two-handed swords like they were plastic, or arrows causing a whole man to explode.

While it's kind of cool, I liked Origins' realistic yet fantasy setting. They seemed to have went to pure fantasy, which is fine I guess, but it does ruin some immersion for me. It's kind of a novelty, honestly I wish it was slowed a bit more (the animations). But not as slow as Origins, was a bit too slow.

I played through fully with a Rogue archer, and it was very fun. The archer felt more like a nuker (aside from Arrow of slaying) than just a support/CC class(Pinning shot is pretty amazing now). Also played a bit as a dual-weapon Rogue in the beginning, was also fun. The abilities like backstab were really fun, and visually appealing to use.

The Mage was also kick ass. I didn't play through the whole demo with the mage like the Rogue, but during the time I did it was extremely fun. Especially the new attack animations for them. Makes them feel a lot more useful as damage dealers.

The warrior was the most boring of the three classes. With the abilities I was given (shield bash/heavy strike). They just weren't as fun or satisfying to use. That being said, I loved playing a 2hander in Origins. I'm guessing the Warrior class gets more cool abilities later on. To be fair I didn't get too far with the warrior in the demo.

The voice acting was worse than Origins and Mass Effect. It wasn't really bad, but it wasn't amazing like usual. Having a silent protagonist didn't mind me at all before, though Hawke's voice is actually pretty good. His/her Sister didn't preform that well. At least from what I've heard in the demo.

They seemed to have stylized the art more, while it doesn't really look bad, it doesn't look better, or worse than Origins. (Maxed out on PC, DirectX11).

I don't like that the game doesn't continue with the Warden and his/her companions. I know due to how Origins was set up (I haven't played Awakening or any DLC yet) it probably wouldn't have happened anyway, but still. I grew attached to those characters, and my Warden. I don't really like how they're just saying "Fuck it' and casting them all aside. I guess I'll get used to DA2's companions.

Kind of unrelated but whatever.

This brings me to my next point. DA2 doesnt really feel like a sequel, it feels more like reboot as someone else said. Then again I don't have much evidence to support this until I actually play the full game. wtb cameos.

Overall, it seemed more like a combat demo than anything. Hopefully later as the game progresses the story, and dialogue gets better than the demo. I liked it, and I'll probably pick it up sometimes this year, not a buy on launch title for me though.

Yes I was quite nitpicky, but these are my honest opinions. Some things are easily shrugged off, but that doesn't make them hidden. I can still have a fun time even with some minor flaws, so please don't bitch to me that I'm being a nitpicking fuck.
Also, long post get. And boobs, lots of big boobs. Seriously, my sister is hot.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:51 AM Reply

Yeah I agree with the comment about it being a bit like a "combat demo". Nothing was really unexpected and most of us knew at least a little about what the start of the game is like.

Overall though I'm pleased with it and the combat (talking about the PC version here) is much more responsive and more faster. A lot of Rpg complexity and 'depth' has been changed around or taken away too which has been getting a lot of flames but I think it's going to be a beneficial change and the game will be worth my time.

I don't regret preordering it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:43 AM Reply

I'm just glad the graphics aren't as horrendous.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 08:08 AM Reply

I heard good things about the first so I checked out. Never has 30 minutes been so boring.

Shit graphics, and before I anyone has a go, the gameplay was weak as fuck, mash A to attack or wait for the skills to cooldown and spam those. And the dialogue parts were piss poor, seemed like the guy changed completely.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 09:53 AM Reply

At 2/23/11 01:44 AM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: Its a huge step up from the last and now I really cannot wait until march 8th?

No character customization, worse graphics, a generic story and just fighting generic baddies that require no strategy in a corridor is an improvement?

I heard lot's of bad things about DA2.

IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:16 AM Reply

I haven't played the demo yet, but I watched my brother playing some of the demo on the PC today.

As a fan of Origins, I have to say it looks very, very bad.

The conversation system was changed to a dialouge wheel a la Mass Effect, which would have been fine if they didn't have a little icon in the middle of the wheel to tell you whether it's good, bad or neutral. Talk about holding the player's hand. I really hate people who use this word as a synonym for 'bad', but I can't help it - it's very, very casualized.

The voice acting is awful. Hawke's alright, but words can't explain how bad Bethany's voice acting is. Hers is on par with anyone from Just Cause 2.

The graphics aren't anything special either. Not really any better than Origins', and Origins' were pretty bad.

Also, the character design. It's HORRIBLE. Why did they make the Darkspawn look like that? They look abysmal. It's as if someone told the model designer that "SPIKES AND BLUE/WHITE CONTRAST AND SOME MORE SPIKES THEY LOOK MENACING AND DARK HURRRRRRR". The ogres don't look any better.

But, as I said, I haven't played it yet, and demos can't be used as evidence for judging the game as a whole. It could be a very fun game and in that case I'm willing to let all this slide, but I don't know about it yet.

#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:39 AM Reply

The thing is people, Bioware is no longer appealing to the RPG market, but now to the kiddies and casuals. They used to make great games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but it seems that now they want to tone everything down for the younger audience. Sad generation of gaming we're in right now.

Matt
Matt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:10 PM Reply

ANOTHER WAVE!

XBL Gamertag: Dr Lipschitz /// Steam ID: Zippomatt /// League: Zippomatt
last.fm

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:37 PM Reply

Wow... I'm actually rather surprised at how upset everyone is getting over this demo. Oh wait... it's popular that's why.

In the end I found the demo was a huge tease, holding back many elements from the game, including chunks of story, the inventory, character creation. Really all this game had was the base core of combat, a sample of the dialogue system, and how leveling works. I'm still getting the full game to actually play the full game because the demo really had fuck all in it.

As for the different style over the first one, remember this is being told from how one character saw it happen rather than it being set in the present day. To the graphics themselves... yeah they're not great, but they're more than good enough. I remember a day when DooM was top of the par with graphics, and now apparently we're not happy unless it looks like a damn photograph. The only thing that bothered me with the graphics were how Isabelle's swords hovered off her back at one point.

I like the dialogue system, I don't find it's holding your hand, it's simply telling you how your character is going to speak rather than making a guess at it, which will make it easier to play as the Hawke you want to play as. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't see how this demo is in any way a good way to judge the full game with so much not actually included. I think that was my biggest annoyance with this whole thing. I didn't get to check out how the inventory works, or how good the character creation system works.

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:33 PM Reply

Personally I think its a step up, mainly because I play consoles and compared to the first the fighing seems more fun more for the console gamers. Relating to children, I just don't see it, this game is easly for the older audience mainly because kids dont like too much talking and understanding a story.

As for PC fans I can probly understand why they don't like it because they removed certain aspects that were important in strategic combat.

ugh

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 02:33 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: this game is easly for the older audience mainly because kids dont like too much talking and understanding a story.

Not necessarily. When I was a kid my favourite games were in the Final Fantasy series.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 02:38 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 2/23/11 02:33 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: this game is easly for the older audience mainly because kids dont like too much talking and understanding a story.
Not necessarily. When I was a kid my favourite games were in the Final Fantasy series.

Not all kids, When I was a kid I liked the Final Fantasy series aswell. But idk if I would like Dragon age...

ugh

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:45 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 03:38 PM, Travis wrote:
At 2/23/11 03:07 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 2/23/11 02:38 PM, Aigis wrote:
Not all kids, When I was a kid I liked the Final Fantasy series aswell. But idk if I would like Dragon age...
Remember that was when WE were little kids.

Today's generation mostly loves their shitty FPS games and all enjoy cursing like a bunch of stupid twats.

lol cant disagree with you on that, It is a rare one when I come across one decent little kid that dosent act like an asshole.

ugh

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 09:53 AM, VenomKing666 wrote: No character customization,

In the demo only. As I've said before, it was basically a combat demo.

worse graphics,

They aren't really better, but they aren't worse.

a generic story and just fighting generic baddies that require no strategy in a corridor is an improvement?

I thought it was really easy too. Then again it was locked on normal and the first area was really open. It wasn't the best place to showcase a demo. Unless however, they wanted to mainly showcase the new combat system, which is what they basically did.

It still required you to position correctly (ie: tank tanking, mage in back etc) and use talents, but it was definitely easier that DA:O. There is still strategy to it, and again this is the prologue, I don't think it's supposed to be hard.

As for the story, we no nothing of it except the prologue! How can you even judge the story from that? There was hardly anything even story related in the demo. It was almost all combat.

At 2/23/11 11:16 AM, IrishGun wrote:
The conversation system was changed to a dialouge wheel a la Mass Effect, which would have been fine if they didn't have a little icon in the middle of the wheel to tell you whether it's good, bad or neutral. Talk about holding the player's hand. I really hate people who use this word as a synonym for 'bad', but I can't help it - it's very, very casualized.

I felt the same way, but it's really not that bad. As the dialogue wheel can't really tell you the exact words you're going to say (for some reason) the icons help get across the way you want to approach a situation. It irked me at first, but it's not really a big deal, it works fine.

The voice acting is awful. Hawke's alright, but words can't explain how bad Bethany's voice acting is. Hers is on par with anyone from Just Cause 2.

...Yeah, Bethany's voice acting was pretty bad. Which was a big surprise to me, considering this is a Bioware game. And all of their past games had fantastic dialogue. I didn't like Carver either, I'm glad he died. I thought the rest were fine though. Not really up the the standards of Past Bioware games though.

fucking EA.
The graphics aren't anything special either. Not really any better than Origins', and Origins' were pretty bad.

Well I played on PC maxed out, and I honestly thought DA:O looked good. Not Mass Effect good, but far from bad. Especially from a tactical point of view. DA2 looks about the same texture wise, and I thought the stylized art brought out the spells nicely, I thought fireball looked much better. But we weren't given much to look at. Just a tiny bit of Kirkwall, and the Prologue. Not enough to judge yet, I think.

Also, the character design. It's HORRIBLE. Why did they make the Darkspawn look like that? They look abysmal.

I was disappointed at how they changed the Hurlocks. They looked truly evil and menacing in the first game, especially the Alpha's. I absolutely loved their old look. I don't particularly mind their new look, but it's certainly a unnecessary step down,

But, as I said, I haven't played it yet, and demos can't be used as evidence for judging the game as a whole. It could be a very fun game and in that case I'm willing to let all this slide, but I don't know about it yet.

Agreed. If anything, the demo showed us how the combat is going to play out. Honestly they probably should have set the demo in a different part of the game. It presented very weakly on the story/narrative side of the game, mainly focusing on combat. Of course everyone is going to think it's mainly combat based now.

At 2/23/11 11:39 AM, VGmasters wrote:
The thing is people, Bioware is no longer appealing to the RPG market, but now to the kiddies and casuals. They used to make great games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but it seems that now they want to tone everything down for the younger audience. Sad generation of gaming we're in right now.

I don't understand how they are appealing to the kids. If anything their target audience is more like 15-28 or so year olds. They obviously were trying to streamline the game more with more intuitive, interactive, and gorier combat. Again, a demo is no place to judge the RPG part of the game. I said it twice, and I'm going to say it again, I'm pretty positive this demo was mainly to just showcase the combat, therefore it was more of a combat demo than anything else.

At 2/23/11 01:37 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
In the end I found the demo was a huge tease, holding back many elements from the game, including chunks of story, the inventory, character creation. Really all this game had was the base core of combat, a sample of the dialogue system, and how leveling works. I'm still getting the full game to actually play the full game because the demo really had fuck all in it.

Pretty much this. I'm assuming the dialogue, and story progresses much better than the prologue did, if so, it is going to be a damned good game. You can't judge a whole game on a demo.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:48 PM Reply

Dosent anyone atleast try to enjoy a demo, Its hard to judge a full game based on its demo. Playing this only makes me want it even more, As for the graphics theres a pretty big difference on the console ports.

ugh

IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 01:37 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Wow... I'm actually rather surprised at how upset everyone is getting over this demo. Oh wait... it's popular that's why.

Or maybe they just don't like it...?

#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
WaywardVagabond
WaywardVagabond
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:25 PM Reply

It's a pretty horrible game. Very subpar for a AAA studio.

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 05:25 PM, WaywardVagabond wrote: It's a pretty horrible game. Very subpar for a AAA studio.

Have you ever played it?

ugh

Dudeslikepie
Dudeslikepie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 06:51 AM Reply

To be honest i actually really liked the demo, like people have said it's just a combat demo so the actual game will have a lot more to it.

i didn't like how they locked out the inventory, i mean i was picking up stuff that i couldn't equip because the silly demo wouldn't let me. However i did think the graphics were actualy a step up from origins, not a huge step up i'll admit but a step up none the less.

Also the dialogue wheel i really like, i'm gonna enjoy being a smart ass rouge through out the game, and Hawke seems like a great protagonist sure i miss my old warden but Hawke will be a good character

Also Flemeth FTW

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 01:39 PM Reply

At 2/24/11 06:51 AM, Dudeslikepie wrote: To be honest i actually really liked the demo, like people have said it's just a combat demo so the actual game will have a lot more to it.

i didn't like how they locked out the inventory, i mean i was picking up stuff that i couldn't equip because the silly demo wouldn't let me. However i did think the graphics were actualy a step up from origins, not a huge step up i'll admit but a step up none the less.

Also the dialogue wheel i really like, i'm gonna enjoy being a smart ass rouge through out the game, and Hawke seems like a great protagonist sure i miss my old warden but Hawke will be a good character

Also Flemeth FTW

I killed flemeth in the last game, and I like the dialogue alot more atleast Hawke speakes now and he dosent say exactly what is spelled which is good.

ugh

Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

I must say, while it wasn't necessarily the best demo out there, I'm certainly looking forward to playing the full game when it comes out.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
M-Y
M-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 04:43 AM, phrozonfire wrote: I'm just glad the graphics aren't as horrendous.

as horrendous as what?

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 2/24/11 03:08 PM, M-Y wrote:
At 2/23/11 04:43 AM, phrozonfire wrote: I'm just glad the graphics aren't as horrendous.
as horrendous as what?

The previous game, horrendous is a strong word.

ugh

warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 03:40 PM Reply

There was just something about the demo that made it so boring. I'm not even sure what it was. I loved the first game and, even though I didn't paly it death or anything, it was an enjoyable experiance. Something just felt wrong with the demo although it may have been because I chose to be a warrior and all I could basically do was mash A until something died.

I'm assuming the rogue and mage are much more enjoyable classes to play so I may go though the demo again at some point as one of them.

Sig made by simon <3
360 Gamertag - Warshark NG
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 2/24/11 03:40 PM, warshark wrote: There was just something about the demo that made it so boring. I'm not even sure what it was. I loved the first game and, even though I didn't paly it death or anything, it was an enjoyable experiance. Something just felt wrong with the demo although it may have been because I chose to be a warrior and all I could basically do was mash A until something died.

I'm assuming the rogue and mage are much more enjoyable classes to play so I may go though the demo again at some point as one of them.

Eh... no one really has much given to them in the demo simply because you're such a low level. There'll be more and better abilities later on for the warrior. Or so I hope.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 26th, 2011 @ 02:54 PM Reply

20 minutes of mashing the A button. How fun.
The graphics are still shit, gameplay is boring and repetitive, voice acting sucks and the
conversations are identical to Mass Effect, but with only 3 options at a time and an icon to
tell you if its good, bad or neutral, just to make it extra retard-friendly.

If this is the best the game has to offer then I sure as hell wont be buying it.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
WaywardVagabond
WaywardVagabond
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 27th, 2011 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 2/23/11 05:47 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 2/23/11 05:25 PM, WaywardVagabond wrote: It's a pretty horrible game. Very subpar for a AAA studio.
Have you ever played it?

Yes. This is one of the few games that made me shut it down and delete it in disgust.

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 28th, 2011 @ 07:21 AM Reply

They tweaked the combat to be more console friendly which was the biggest thing for me. Origins was terrible on a console because of the combat being built for the PC so I'm glad they fixed it for the type of platform I'd use it for. The graphics look the same as Origins so not sure why people are complaining about that. Voice acting was mediocre from what I remember. Not something I was really concentrating on though. I think I might actually buy this at launch unless Homefront does something to change my mind. At least from this, I'd expect at least 40 hours of gameplay.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Just played the Dragon Age 2 Demo. Feb. 28th, 2011 @ 07:57 AM Reply

I'm not actually that worried about it being "dumbed down" for consoles. There's still plenty of hardcore RPG alternatives out there, and I'll probably give this game a spin if only to get my "Ser Isaac of Clarke" armours. It'll be nice to have an easy RPG for once to simply have fun playing.

I'm more worried about the shitty voice-acting and nigh-on any graphical improvement. The voice-acting particularly because I really do like to explore in video-games. Hawke being an actual character and all, I really did figured they'd put some major thought into their characters having character, but of course you really can't have everything.