Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 04:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/21/11 04:30 PM, Chameneon wrote: Hey Tom I have one question:
Will other games of the Game Jam also have the chance to be frontpaged?
I'm planning to cycle them through in the coming days!

As in on the "featured" screen, because just being front paged knocked my game's rating from 3.40 and 9.0 to 3.03 and 7.4 in a few hours...

BBS Signature
Chameneon
Chameneon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

But it also creates a more realistic score, because more people will rate it.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 04:35 PM, Chameneon wrote: But it also creates a more realistic score, because more people will rate it.

REAL REVIEWS:
"needs a mute button" (rated 9)

"'Author's Response:
Mute button importance < gameplay importance.
Also, your computer has one, so what's the point?'
The POINT is for when you are listening to music or something else on the computer i don't want to have to mute everything just to play this stupid game." (rated 0)

"this game sucks
for an example to make a good game in 72 hour go play cows anttena co" (rated 0)

See? Newgrounds is full of 13 year olds who only care about mute buttons!

BBS Signature
FuNaNdMoRe
FuNaNdMoRe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 04:46 PM Reply

Meaty Boner and Butcherbugs are definitely great games. They both have a great quality even though they just had 72 hours to make them. Let's see who the winner will be ;)

I was only disappointed that there was no Game Jam #3 preloader.
But anyway, I had a lot of fun making our game!

I'm also looking forward to the broadcast this Friday, if there'll be one.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Hey Tom,how do you judge the games?

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 04:46 PM, FuNaNdMoRe wrote: I'm also looking forward to the broadcast this Friday, if there'll be one.

Actually we'll be at the NYC Meetup this Friday so if we do a broadcast it might be Thursday again.

SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 04:44 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 2/21/11 04:35 PM, Chameneon wrote: But it also creates a more realistic score, because more people will rate it.
REAL REVIEWS:
"needs a mute button" (rated 9)

"'Author's Response:
Mute button importance < gameplay importance.
Also, your computer has one, so what's the point?'
The POINT is for when you are listening to music or something else on the computer i don't want to have to mute everything just to play this stupid game." (rated 0)

"this game sucks
for an example to make a good game in 72 hour go play cows anttena co" (rated 0)

See? Newgrounds is full of 13 year olds who only care about mute buttons!

Its better then having 3 reviews and a score of 4 though, then there's no real indication of how well its received.
I imagine being on the frontpage will mean people who know nothing about the jam will judge the flash against the usual standard ( as all flashes should be to be to be honest). I wouldn't take the portal score as an overall indicator on how well the game has fared for the competition.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 04:44 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: See? Newgrounds is full of 13 year olds who only care about mute buttons!

i can understand not having mute buttons for something miniscule or spammy, or not muting sound effects, but mute buttons are pretty easy to code arent they? (Im not a programmer so i dont know). I just think that the time it takes to code a mute vs. the amount of negative feedback you get for it might make it worthwhile to just code one in no? I dont think being 13 has anything to do with it. Some games have really irritating music, yet i love the game so ill just mute it.

Also Team hipster was too hip to finish. That and my flash crashed yesterday and i was too mad and annoyed to finish and find sound effects and all that. I take full blame :)

Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 05:09 PM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote: I imagine being on the frontpage will mean people who know nothing about the jam will judge the flash against the usual standard ( as all flashes should be to be to be honest). I wouldn't take the portal score as an overall indicator on how well the game has fared for the competition.

Yeah... Your right... I didn't get much sleep last night, and the game, like i said, went down from a 3.40 to now a 2.98, and how Tom put it, I'm pretty sure the game jam is based on votes (probably because they couldn't get Edmund again..). Honestly, right now, I believe users should EARN the right to review (get a certain amount of experience or something) because right now it looks on par with the youtube comments section (which sucks).

BBS Signature
MonoFlauta
MonoFlauta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 05:14 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 2/21/11 05:09 PM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote: I imagine being on the frontpage will mean people who know nothing about the jam will judge the flash against the usual standard ( as all flashes should be to be to be honest). I wouldn't take the portal score as an overall indicator on how well the game has fared for the competition.
Yeah... Your right... I didn't get much sleep last night, and the game, like i said, went down from a 3.40 to now a 2.98, and how Tom put it, I'm pretty sure the game jam is based on votes (probably because they couldn't get Edmund again..). Honestly, right now, I believe users should EARN the right to review (get a certain amount of experience or something) because right now it looks on par with the youtube comments section (which sucks).

They said it was going to be an special guest, doesnt need to be the same one, also its stupid to select the winner with the score because never you will get the most original idea or something like that for winner with that. Also i dont think one guest should select the winner, i think would be awesome if three guest vote for example, give an score from 0 to 10 to each game and then the total score definetes the best one.
Taking care about originality of the idea, graphics and programming

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 06:37 PM Reply

so yeah, not that I think this is the area to discuss this but since that is already happening:
A lot of reviews are totally worthless; so what? Now you know they are worthless, just ignore them. Look at the decent reviews (thats not the positive ones, its those that actually point out what is good/bad about the flash).
I find it funny how you (manly-chicken) complain about useless reviews but make an example out of someone who is actually (crudely) offering something you can improve on. To me reviews like this

"God damn"
"This game is fucking awesome." - 10

are the worthless ones; sure its nice to know that poeple liked your work, but it doesnt really help you.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
FuNaNdMoRe
FuNaNdMoRe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 05:07 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/21/11 04:46 PM, FuNaNdMoRe wrote: I'm also looking forward to the broadcast this Friday, if there'll be one.
Actually we'll be at the NYC Meetup this Friday so if we do a broadcast it might be Thursday again.

Well, that's fine, too. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Thursday, then.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 08:34 PM Reply

Well I fucked mine right in the ass, but at least the cake is cute.
First game jam, massive pain, might do better next time.

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 08:46 PM Reply

People don't seem to like Team Dildo's game Demon Runner as much as I'd hoped but that's okay. We did kinda cop out with the theme. Extremely so.

I had fun making it, and I'm proud of the parts that I did, so all in all it was a success. For me, anyway.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 2/21/11 05:10 PM, Luis wrote: Also Team hipster was too hip to finish. That and my flash crashed yesterday and i was too mad and annoyed to finish and find sound effects and all that. I take full blame :)

i can finish game jams

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 22nd, 2011 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 2/21/11 05:10 PM, Luis wrote: Also Team hipster was too hip to finish. That and my flash crashed yesterday and i was too mad and annoyed to finish and find sound effects and all that. I take full blame :)

I fucking love that image macro.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:28 PM Reply

Thanks for the heads up Tom.

I checked out the current top 3 game jam entries. Personally I liked Butcherbugs most, although it wasn't quite what I expected when I saw their theme. Looks like it's quite far ahead of Meaty Boner by now, so I guess it's gonna win.

Good luck to all the participants.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:08 PM Reply

The score gap from 2nd to 3rd is only a little bit big! :P

EpicVelocity
EpicVelocity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:33 AM Reply

True , meaty boner's an awesome game :D!! ROCK ON...

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 06:12 AM Reply

At 2/23/11 03:33 AM, EpicVelocity wrote: True , meaty boner's an awesome game :D!! ROCK ON...

You called?

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 07:11 AM Reply

My money is on Butcherbugs to be honest. Meaty Boner may be a very well done and polished game and all, but it didn't feel innovative enough.

MonoFlauta
MonoFlauta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 08:20 AM Reply

Come on tom, are this reviews serius?

"Ummm... just a quick question. How do you make the game not suck?" from KoalaCaptain
"u might need an extra than 10,000 hours. i see where this is coming from. . .but it was. . . terrible. i totally hit that house! 1" razgreez

how this people can keep reviewing?! its annoying

studio-nightbird
studio-nightbird
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Tom got my groups game in...I know its late but all the members in my group dropped out one by one. Leaving me to do everything *chuck norries slam*. It sucks because the programmer was using as3 and I only know 2.0. Which meant I had to program from the start...on day 3...on my own *cry*, which is why it came out late.

hope its still classed as a game jam game

TheSlainDreamer
TheSlainDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam Entries, Weekly Wrap Mar. 7th, 2011 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Meaty Boner was cool!