New Topic Respond to this Topic
Viktor
Viktor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-12 15:45:45 Reply

At 2/12/11 12:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thanks for isolating fmsmedia.net - CPMStar couldn't find any trace of the URL that users were being directed to, but I just forwarded this one along to them and it sounds like it should show up in their system, at which point it will be removed. Fingers crossed!

Tom, have their website redirect to newgrounds. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Supasang
Supasang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-12 16:16:26 Reply

IF you DO get it exit out as fast as possible. Or you can hack into their server so when they go to it It downloads on their computer and they get a virus that says "Your a gay virus sending faggot - Newgrounds.com"

"If music be the food of love, play on.'~Spongebob

BBS Signature
BrandonXDD
BrandonXDD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-12 16:26:21 Reply

I got the same thing early. I didn't click anything I just ended the program using the task manager and tried getting back on. Thus far nothing has happened.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 10:12:13 Reply

I just pulled some of CPMStar's ad code off the front page that I think would be the most likely culprit (the pushdown code at the top of the page) - so far I haven't gotten that ad in IE since, so let me know if you get the bad ad any time after 10:10am EST this morning.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ilikeblamingcrap
ilikeblamingcrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 10:18:55 Reply

At 2/14/11 10:12 AM, TomFulp wrote: I just pulled some of CPMStar's ad code off the front page that I think would be the most likely culprit (the pushdown code at the top of the page) - so far I haven't gotten that ad in IE since, so let me know if you get the bad ad any time after 10:10am EST this morning.

Ugh good. I've gotten it (Mal_fakeAV0) at least three times now from NG. Aperently it's a virus that bombards a computer with a bunch of warnings about a virus on your computer to make you buy they're shit.

Only way I could get rid of it was to do a system restore.

dreadryu
dreadryu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 10:32:29 Reply

At 2/14/11 10:12 AM, TomFulp wrote: I just pulled some of CPMStar's ad code off the front page that I think would be the most likely culprit (the pushdown code at the top of the page) - so far I haven't gotten that ad in IE since, so let me know if you get the bad ad any time after 10:10am EST this morning.

ran a couple tests after your post Tom and so far i have gotten nothing ill keep checking it though incase it turns up again im sure if someone else gets it they will post lets hope you got that bug

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 10:46:34 Reply

Actually I just got it again. So still not sure what's up. Passed some more reports to CPMStar so we'll see.

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 10:58:52 Reply

At 2/14/11 10:46 AM, TomFulp wrote: Actually I just got it again. So still not sure what's up. Passed some more reports to CPMStar so we'll see.

Booting ALL of the front-page ads and then letting them back in one at a time may be your best bet, but... how much money from ad revenue would that cost to do?

I remember getting it once, ages ago too. Was the same thing as what seems to be happening here (redirected to a badly-spelled obviously fake antivirus scam). Running a real virus scan afterwards didn't pick anything up (I have AVG on this computer, and nothing's got past it so far), so I'm fairly sure what I thought was a random IP attack is in fact the same as this. And I was on Firefox when I got it too, BTW.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 12:45:20 Reply

A campaign has been pulled that seems to have been the culprit - let me know if you receive the bad ad any time after this post.

BBS Signature
ICY-HURR
ICY-HURR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-14 13:45:33 Reply

At 2/14/11 12:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: A campaign has been pulled that seems to have been the culprit - let me know if you receive the bad ad any time after this post.

i want to mention something keeps making my virus protection software go off every once in a while call ( rr.) any idea what that could be? maybe a certain sponsor ad?

Check me out!
"Of course lifes a bitch, because if it was a slut, it would be too easy"

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-15 11:08:26 Reply

For those who were redirected: Run a virus scan. There's a high chance that the site you were redirected to installed a virus on your computer.

This has some pretty bad implications. It's now possible to run a redirect script AND install malicious software merely through banner ads, which aren't controlled by the site owners themselves. The possibilities for that are limitless. If done on an even more popular site like youtube, you could build a huge botnet system in mere days. That's pretty scary.

Uchumaru08
Uchumaru08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-20 18:15:42 Reply

I just got redirected to that site again while looking through flashes and its still here.

Minecraft - IAmJim .,--,. Steam - IAmJim
Sig made by Squidbit.

BBS Signature
Spartan204
Spartan204
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Did NG's server get hacked somehow? 2011-02-20 18:33:59 Reply

That's never happened to me on NG. I use Firefox, but it probably doesn't have much of anything to with the browser you're using.

Newgrounds | PM me for a forum signature

BBS Signature