New Topic Respond to this Topic
NitWitt
NitWitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 10th, 2011 @ 10:46 PM Reply

Greetings to one and all, flash animators from NewGrounds and elsewhere.
I bring to you the largest Flash Tournament, now being held on NewGrounds! We will soon decide who the greatest flash artist is for the year 2011.
The Fifth Annual Tournament of Flash Artists, 2010 (TOFA)
Sponsored by Adobe® and NewGrounds®

Quick Links:
- TOFA on NewGrounds (Contains recent updates)
- Official Site (with Donations link)
- Calendar
- About

I would like to thank Tom Fulp for accepting, sponsoring, integrating, and donating to the competition this year. It will be truly epic.

Rules
- The Tournament, beginning on April 25th, will consist of One Open Round and Five (5) scored rounds.
- The top 32 average NewGrounds scores submitted by the deadline will be randomly arranged in the tournament brackets.
- The brackets can be viewed on the front page of the TOFA website.
- The highest score of each subsequent bracket pairing will move on to the next round.
- The winner of the Final Round will be declared "The Champion of Flash Artists" and recieve the majority of the prize.
- The runner-up will be awarded a smaller prize.
- As donations will be accepted throughout the contest, the total prize will not be announced until near the end of the tournament.
- As a TOFA tradition, the Champion must render a flash-drawn image of themselves interacting with Earth before a prize can be awarded. This is used to chronicle the winners of previous TOFAs on the website.
- The Champion must also possess a PayPal account or be able to accept a check through the mail in order to claim their prize.
- The Champion of Flash Artists may not enter the tournament in the year following their victory; However they are always invited to judge for the contest the following year.
- All participants must have a registered account on NewGrounds, as this is where all Tournament activity takes place and where submissions are entered.

Judging
Each round will be judged by a panel of five judges. (Tom Fulp, Eddsworld, Salty Peach, Zeurel, & the final judge is TBA)
For each entry, each judge will score each entry in five categories, for a total of 20 points from each judge.
- Animation (4 points)
- Artwork / Style (4 points)
- Originality (4 points)
- Story / Structure (4 points)
- Entertainment (4 points)
After all four judges have judged an entry, it will totalled out of 100 possible points. Highest total point value in any given matchup will be the winner and move on to the next round.

Donations
- Donations can be made on the front page of the TOFA website, using the "donate" button, or by clicking Here.
- 100% of donations (minus paypal fees) go to the total prize pool.
- You can donate at any time during the contest, even if you are participating.
- Those who "drop out" from any round in TOFA are encouraged to donate for the spirit of the contest.

Prizes
- Near the end of the contest, the exact prizes will be made clear, as donations are accepted througout the contest.
- The largest portion of the prize will be given to the Champion, while the runner-up will recieve a smaller prize.
- NewGrounds will be donating to the prize pool - This amount will be announced just as the contest begins.
- Adobe is also sponsoring the contest. Premiere CS5 and After Effects CS5 (for Windows) will be awarded.

We are now accepting donations!!

I will see you all in April, when the Open Round thread will describe deadlines, themes, and rules.

Tournament of Flash Artists 2011

Thundaboom
Thundaboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 10th, 2011 @ 10:58 PM Reply

Awesome, I can't wait to do this again, but this time on newgrounds :p

No!

NATA
NATA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 10th, 2011 @ 11:24 PM Reply

Side notes:

- The Champion of Flash Artists will be automatically nominated for a Tank Award at the end of the year.
- Avid Lebon is here to help with questions about the contest, her answers are legit.
- ThorClodofBlunders is the offical TOFA critique-man. He will help entrants with advice on entries if needed and will offer helpful comments leading up to the contest.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 10th, 2011 @ 11:29 PM Reply

cool, nice to see this finally on newgrounds

None

Thundaboom
Thundaboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 10th, 2011 @ 11:31 PM Reply

This would be even better if even the spammers kicked in.

No!

ThorClodofBlunders
ThorClodofBlunders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 01:48 AM Reply

UNWARRANTED FEEDBACK

Hi!

I'm Thor, Clod of Blunders. I was one of the original judges for TOFA the first two years it ran. If you saw the contest back then, you might remember that I was the Simon of the judges. I'm very hard to please and I can pick apart just about anything. You might remember me from a couple tutorials I wrote on animation. Most likely you'll remember me for writing a 2/10 review on one of Egoraptor's cartoons on this site.

(Ego, I think you're a fine animator and a belated congrats on getting posted on the front page of cartoonbrew.com, which, if you haven't heard of it, is pretty much the premiere animation blog in the USA, if not the world)

Anyways, Nitwitt has asked me to step in to help judge again, as such, I will be reviewing your entries** and I will be giving you completely unwarranted feedback. HOWEVER, I will not be assigning numeric values to your reviews. Whatever I say will have absolutely no bearing on what your actual score is or whether or not you move onto the next round.

My purpose here is to help you become a better animator. Having studied this stuff extensively through college, I will try to help pass on what I know to you to help you make better cartoons. Believe it or not, there's an actual science behind animation, how to compose a shot so that the viewer's eyes are directed where you want it to be, how to utilize colors to help create moods, how long it actually takes for the human mind to recognize something (1/3 of a second by the way), how long to hold a title, etc. The animators and filmmakers that came before us figured this all out, from delivering a sincere performance to how long to to hold an awkward pause to make it funnier. It's basically mind control. Familiarize yourself with the bag of tricks that they developed and your own stuff will become more than just a "flash cartoon" but a work of art.

Here are a few links to people who can explain this stuff better than I can (and if you haven't heard of these you really ought to take a look>:
Temple of the Seven Golden Camels : cinematography, composition, and storyboarding
John K (guy who did Ren and Stimpey who also happens to be more critical than me, believe it or not: posing, character design, heirarchy
Red Letter Media : If you haven't seen the Star Wars prequels reviews, WATCH THEM. I can say I honestly learned more from these about storytelling and plot than my college classes.
Design Reboot: Character designs. Be sure to check out his post on how to improve designs from the game Jericho

Books:
-The Animator's Survival Kit, by Richard Williams.
-Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life, by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston
-Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair
-Composing Pictures, by Donald Graham (I haven't read all the way through it, but supposedly it's the best book on how to draw. If you need his credentials, he taught the guys at Disney how to draw back in the 1930s. And then they made Snow White and Bambi.)

Also, it's my firm belief that ANYONE is qualified to review our work, even anyone without animation training. Your viewers might not be able to pinpoint what exactly it is that needs to be fixed, but if they will certainly pick up on something that bothers them. I'll try to go that extra step and help diagnose what exactly it is, but remember to take everything I say with a grain of salt (or the whole shaker).

If I might rip off the words of Anton Ego from Ratatouille,

"But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

There will be some harsh criticisms thrown at you, some of it valid, some of it not. And even if you don't win this contest and if you're not crowned the champion, you're already a winner. You were the moment you finished that cartoon and uploaded it, so if you've made it that far, give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

** It's unlikely that I'll be able to review all open round entries. I can only type so much before I am crippled by carpal tunnel.

***** If you are competing and you need a second pair of eyes to look at something, I am more than willing to help out at any point of production. Naturally I won't discuss your cartoon with anyone else until it is released.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 02:18 PM Reply

If by any chance someone wins who owns a mac, can that person exchange the programs for Mac versions?

Emrox
Emrox
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 02:35 PM Reply

Didn't we learn our lesson last time with Adobe?

BBS Signature
Kreid
Kreid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 02:47 PM Reply

Oh sweet lord yes!
I'd love to enter again (this time without my damn laptop blowing up) but I'll have to see how I am for time when it gets closer!

NitWitt
NitWitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 02:18 PM, Mexifry wrote: If by any chance someone wins who owns a mac, can that person exchange the programs for Mac versions?

The Adobe software has already been donated and cannot be changed.

@Elfman - What do you mean, "lesson"? (By the way we are not required to put the Adobe logo in entries this year either)

molkman
molkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 05:56 PM Reply

So, only the open round depends on NG scores? The other rounds are dependent on the judge-scores, right?

XO

NitWitt
NitWitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 05:56 PM, molkman wrote: So, only the open round depends on NG scores? The other rounds are dependent on the judge-scores, right?

Yes

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 05:23 PM, NitWitt wrote:
At 2/11/11 02:18 PM, Mexifry wrote: If by any chance someone wins who owns a mac, can that person exchange the programs for Mac versions?
The Adobe software has already been donated and cannot be changed.

@Elfman - What do you mean, "lesson"? (By the way we are not required to put the Adobe logo in entries this year either)

So basically this means the person is left with completely useless software. :/

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 06:02 PM, NitWitt wrote:
At 2/11/11 05:56 PM, molkman wrote: So, only the open round depends on NG scores? The other rounds are dependent on the judge-scores, right?
Yes

Wait so the open round is NG scores?
So whats stopping people from making a Super Mario Parody and getting a huge score?

Thundaboom
Thundaboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 06:13 PM, Mexifry wrote: So basically this means the person is left with completely useless software. :/

Technically the actual whole price of both of the software is 1,000 dollars, so I'm guessing you could just sell that on ebay if you do win.

No!

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 06:25 PM, Thundaboom wrote:
At 2/11/11 06:13 PM, Mexifry wrote: So basically this means the person is left with completely useless software. :/
Technically the actual whole price of both of the software is 1,000 dollars, so I'm guessing you could just sell that on ebay if you do win.

Nothing hurts from a little extra money.
But yeah idk how i feel about Open Round being determined by NG score.

Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 06:50 PM Reply

I love how most of the above posters are from ABS.

I feel so special right now.

StalkerGuy
StalkerGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 06:25 PM, Thundaboom wrote: Technically the actual whole price of both of the software is 1,000 dollars, so I'm guessing you could just sell that on ebay if you do win.

Why would anyone buy flash off ebay?

fu

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 07:39 PM, StalkerGuy wrote:
At 2/11/11 06:25 PM, Thundaboom wrote: Technically the actual whole price of both of the software is 1,000 dollars, so I'm guessing you could just sell that on ebay if you do win.

Big surprise, but some people purchase software legally.

Thundaboom
Thundaboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 07:39 PM, StalkerGuy wrote:

..the software doesn't include flash :p

No!

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 12:59 AM Reply

At first I didn't really want to do this, but having read the entrees will get actual critical feedback.. I think I'll take a few days off work to crank out a story I've been wanting to do. How often does this kind of opportunity present itself =D (least what I've run into)

The NG score thing is kind of a pisser, so without the aid of mario sprites and titillating images I'll have to bank on my skills as an animator. Hmm.

Ethaneth
Ethaneth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 02:16 AM Reply

April 25th is ironically my birthday, and again that I recently switched to doing animation. But I still need a lot of practice and don't have the proper equipment to enter. But I'll try to show my support for those who take this seriously.

avidlebon
avidlebon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 02:31 AM Reply

I know in prior years each entry had to fit with a specific theme, and copyrighted materials were not allowed. They also had to have it mentioned somewhere in the preloader that they were a part of the TOFA contest.

That would take care of any worries of random entries would win based on using pre-existing sprites and pulling points from a pre-existing fanbase rather than their own animation and creative talents.

Smorgishmorg
Smorgishmorg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 09:56 AM Reply

I'm just trolling cause I'm a jerk.

Last year all I did was get in flame was and talk trash about adobe.

WELL SEE YOU IN TWO MONTHS.

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 09:57 AM Reply

Sorry, that was me. My brother left himself logged in.

Oh whale.

BBS Signature
Arthuria99
Arthuria99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 10:40 AM Reply

Fascinating

Coming Soon :
Wave Warrior Sonic EXE 3: Garnet Version
DeviantArtPage --- Facebook ---My Youtube

BBS Signature
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 11:13 AM Reply

So is anything submittable as long as it ends in .swf?

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

NATA
NATA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 2/12/11 11:13 AM, PBass wrote: So is anything submittable as long as it ends in .swf?

It must be an animation submitted in .swf format on the NewGrounds portal, and tagged with TOFA 2011. Flash is preferred, but any other animated medium can be accepted - Keep in mind that doing a stop-motion animation, for example, is going to take a lot longer and may not come out as well. You only have two weeks for each entry.

Remember the contest doesn't begin until April 25, when a new topic will be created describing the theme, time limit, and rules of the round.

BBS Signature
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 2/12/11 02:46 PM, TOFA wrote: Remember the contest doesn't begin until April 25, when a new topic will be created describing the theme, time limit, and rules of the round.

Oh, I see, at first I thought we had until the 25th to make anything.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Tournament of Flash Artists 2011 Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 2/12/11 04:07 PM, PBass wrote:
At 2/12/11 02:46 PM, TOFA wrote: Remember the contest doesn't begin until April 25, when a new topic will be created describing the theme, time limit, and rules of the round.
Oh, I see, at first I thought we had until the 25th to make anything.

Ahhh.. this makes sense now =P