W3R3W00F
W3R3W00F
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 11:22 AM Reply

I'm almost positive this idea has been suggested before, but whatever. :P

As we know, some people jump the gun on voting on submissions, both audio and flash. They play a few seconds of a game, watch a few seconds of a movie, or hear a few seconds of a song... and BAM! They make their decision right then and there.

Seriously... that isn't fair for the person who put their time into creating the submission, only to have gotten a vote from some dude who didn't watch/play/hear enough of the submission to make a proper decision. It's like first impressions are everything to people... if it isn't good to begin with, it isn't good at all. -_-

So I propose this idea: People will only be able to vote once they've played a game, watched a movie, or heard a song for, at least, 1 minute (Or some other allotted amount of time). That way, even if the submission isn't great from the get-go, people will still have to play/watch/hear enough of it to make their decision. It's only fair for the submission authors.

Agree? Disagree?

Discuss. Honest answers only. No stupid, off-topic posts, please.

Just a starving artist. Nothing new.

JTS
JTS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 11:28 AM Reply

You can modify the system however you'd like; it will always be abused.

Your, you're.
There, their, they're.

Callum123456
Callum123456
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 11:30 AM Reply

That would just be annoying, like sometimes I want to quickly vote on something i've already played/watched. Also it would mean spam/malicious flashes would be less likely to be blammed as nobody would wait 1 minute just to blam a quick spam loop or wait 1 minute though something malicious like auto pop ups or whatever.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

I agree with callum123456.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 11:46 AM Reply

It doesn't matter what they do, people will still find a way to just vote and go.
My only portal proposal is allow portal-buddies for Audio submissions.
I understand that Newgrounds makes no money off of the audio portal, and it would take time to add that feature, and time is money for them... But if I submit an audio and it's a collaboration with another artist on here, they can't get the full credit they deserve for the track. Same with with someone adding a submission that I'm in, the only thing I can do to have it on my page is favourite it and hope somebody will see it and realize it's also my track.
Doesn't work the same way though.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

W3R3W00F
W3R3W00F
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 2/8/11 11:30 AM, Callum123456 wrote: That would just be annoying, like sometimes I want to quickly vote on something i've already played/watched.

Good point. Possibly the system could be changed so that, once you vote for the first time, Newgrounds will remember which submissions you voted on by checking the Member ID or Modem ID, and won't ask you to wait [amount of time] before voting again.

At 2/8/11 11:30 AM, Callum123456 wrote: Also it would mean spam/malicious flashes would be less likely to be blammed as nobody would wait 1 minute just to blam a quick spam loop or wait 1 minute though something malicious like auto pop ups or whatever.

Another good point. But isn't that what blowing the whistle is for?

Also, EpicFail's idea is good.

Does anyone else have a suggestion for the portals that could improve them?

Just a starving artist. Nothing new.

Atypop
Atypop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 12:39 PM Reply

There will always be people that try to get round the system, no matter what.
Although I admit I do that as well.

Pm me for a pleasant conversation or for help with anything.
Thanks to JebbaL for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal proposals! ...And stuff. Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 12:43 PM Reply

Tom could add option to choose how long the submission is, so the system knows on how long it should disable the vote, till the move ends, or payer gets to know with the game, or beat it.

For example: 10 minutes, 7 minutes, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute.

The cons:

The spammers would set most probably set timers to the highest, so people loose encouragement to blam it. For example it would requite 10 minutes of listening to screams, or shity music.

People would just open 5 tabs, set timer to let's say 10 minutes, and after that just look at the submission for few secs, and vote. Again, just by the first impression.

In my opinion it's not needed.