New Topic Respond to this Topic
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-24 18:34:56 Reply

At 6/23/11 05:37 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: At 6/23/11 04:15 PM, Cootie wrote:.

I was forgetting about protection (probably a really stupid thing to forget about) but what about shots not to the chest though. I mean, in these games people get shot in the fucking face and keep running. Hell, in BC2 it takes TWO shotgun slugs to the face to bring you down with the semi-autos. I think it would be cool to have you actually fall down for a while if you get shot in the leg.
And that is why hardcore mode is better than shit regular mode.

Yeah, hardcore is better. I never used to play it, but the clan I joined only plays hardcore. I just don't like the fact there is no mini map, because it renders the used of motion mines useless.

Anyways, the senior gameplay designer said that revived players will not have any kind of invincibility after being revived in BF3.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-24 21:25:01 Reply

At 6/24/11 03:03 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote:
simplistic mechanics that can easily be programmed into a game if they don't already exist
And then what would happen? You lot would cry at the difficulty of the game and never play it again.

thanks Psychic Sylvester.
your pretentious jerkoffery sure showed me how superior your opinion is -_-

once a combatant was wounded severely they would need actual patching up and evac,
Patching up? You mean medics?
And how much fun would an evac be? Where would they take you? How long would you have to stay there bored out of your mind? Wouldn't respawning just be the better option?
Pick one. Realism, or fun-

fun and functional
that's why i would play a game

firefights would be at greater distances between 75 and 200 meters,
75 to 200 meters is half your throwing distance in call of duty
not to mention in bfbc2 you hardly ever get to see your assailant before you get sniped across 3 sets of obscure hillside.
Sounds like you suck and have little situational awareness. I'd love to meet a soldier who can throw a grenade 75 meters in real life. Grenade tossing is not indicative of firefight range.

It sounds like you didn't understand the context of this quote at all.
I'm trying to show that the mechanics we already have in shooters today exceed that expectation, and that there's no more room for innovation in that area.

Realistic games exist, you guys just don't play them and likely have not heard of them.
Are you kidding me? THEY'RE RE-RELEASED EVERY NANOSECOND LIKE GNATS REPRODUCING IN A BAKERY.
Call of duty, battlefield, and the medal of honor franchises are NOT realistic. Remove head from arse.

Here's a tip, instead of pulling dried up raisin wit from your freshly PMS'd vagina, come up with actual points to counter mine instead of "Oh your wrong on every point because I think so why don't you pull head out of your arse HUR HUR HUR IM FUNNEH YOU NEVER HEARD THAT B4 LOL"

battlefield 3 pretty much tops the potential of realistic fps games from mechanic to mechanic,
give me reasons why it does not and then give me a synapses of what could be improved.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 00:18:23 Reply

At 6/24/11 09:25 PM, naronic wrote: battlefield 3 pretty much tops the potential of realistic fps games from mechanic to mechanic,
give me reasons why it does not and then give me a synapses of what could be improved.

You can't select semi-automatic fire on any of the rifles, that's a big one. In combat, assault rifles are almost always used in semi-automatic mode.

The bullet drop is not realistic, though I heard it's been tinkered with in BF3.

There is no bullet drift, as in the bullet drifting due to the rifling of the barrel. There is also no wind, but I guess that is pretty much impossible to program into a large game like this.

Ricochets, there are none in battlefield.

When aiming, the aim never drifts. Fear, excitement, and physical activity are going to greatly to affect your ability to aim the rifle.

Your ammo is measured as a total, and not in magazines.

You can switch from your rifle to your sidearm in less than a second.

There are many more things that could make it realistic, but you see my point that we are far from the pinnacle of realism in FPSs.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 01:28:30 Reply

At 6/25/11 12:18 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
There are many more things that could make it realistic, but you see my point that we are far from the pinnacle of realism in FPSs.

Which may be a good thing. I don't mind elements of realism, but I only want it to a certain point. Playing a 100% realistic shooter would be beyond frustrating. I mean imagine picking the sniper class and some unlucky fuck has to spot you for the whole match. And then you both would need headsets so he could tell you exactly where to aim and whatnot.

It just wouldn't be fun. The match would be over before you ever got to take a shot.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 08:04:28 Reply

At 6/24/11 09:25 PM, naronic wrote: battlefield 3 pretty much tops the potential of realistic fps games from mechanic to mechanic,
You can't select semi-automatic fire on any of the rifles, that's a big one. In combat, assault rifles are almost always used in semi-automatic mode.

that may be one but its definitely not big.
There's no technological boundary to simply programming that in any fps game and most have semi-automatic rifles anyway.
Probably left out for balance issues, although i know for a fact that scoping in with an AUG or an SG552 in Counter Strike changes your ROF slightly so if you want to accept that under your realism wing be my guest.

The bullet drop is not realistic, though I heard it's been tinkered with in BF3.
There is no bullet drift, as in the bullet drifting due to the rifling of the barrel. There is also no wind, but I guess that is pretty much impossible to program into a large game like this.

wind can be added into flash games, once again there's no technological boundaries to programming that in a game so I'm pretty sure it was left out for balance issues.

Ricochets, there are none in battlefield.

but they are present in Time-splitters 2 and Halo, 2 less realistic games.

When aiming, the aim never drifts. Fear, excitement, and physical activity are going to greatly to affect your ability to aim the rifle.

idle sway (especially with snipers) has been a present feature in both call of duty and battlefield so what are you talking about?
Do you mean having the game decide whether your tired, excited or scared and change your aim accordingly? Don't those things control naturally whenever you PLAY a game?
How would that work exactly? It would just be an annoyance and cause nothing but balancing issues and de-immersion.

Your ammo is measured as a total, and not in magazines.

And measuring in magazines would change... what?

You can switch from your rifle to your sidearm in less than a second.

correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure quick switching to your pistol is something they do in the army for intense close combat battle situations when the ammo for your primary is inconsistent.

were practically close enough to stick our tongue on it, I'm pretty sure your just being picky.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 11:04:20 Reply

At 6/25/11 01:28 AM, Cootie wrote: It just wouldn't be fun. The match would be over before you ever got to take a shot.

Exactly. That's why it isn't as realistic as real combat, and it's a game, not a combat simulator. That's why it's inaccurate to call BF3 the pinnacle of realistic gameplay, because it's not.

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 11:38:36 Reply

At 6/25/11 12:18 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Your ammo is measured as a total, and not in magazines.

Doesn't Battlefield measure ammo in mags? Unless they changed that from 1942 of course, because on that game if you reloaded with your mag half full, you'd just lose it.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 11:46:51 Reply

At 6/25/11 11:38 AM, MiroDK wrote: Doesn't Battlefield measure ammo in mags? Unless they changed that from 1942 of course, because on that game if you reloaded with your mag half full, you'd just lose it.

Ammo wasn't counted in mags in Bad Company 1 or 2, so I'd assume it will be the same for BF3.

The guy in GameStation told me today that if I pre-ordered I'd get a poster. Tempting, but it's too early for me to want to pre-order it yet.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 12:07:36 Reply

At 6/25/11 11:38 AM, MiroDK wrote:
At 6/25/11 12:18 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Your ammo is measured as a total, and not in magazines.
Doesn't Battlefield measure ammo in mags? Unless they changed that from 1942 of course, because on that game if you reloaded with your mag half full, you'd just lose it.

In recent times, it has just been measured as a total. It was measured as a total in BF2 also.

At least you lose an ammo counter when you play hard core. That way you have to count your shots. But, since the assault rifles are automatic (insert rage about how they should be semi-automatic), it's hard to keep track.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 19:56:11 Reply

At 6/25/11 12:07 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
At least you lose an ammo counter when you play hard core. That way you have to count your shots. But, since the assault rifles are automatic (insert rage about how they should be semi-automatic), it's hard to keep track.

At least they have some semi-auto weapons in the game which I really enjoy. It would be pretty cool if you got to switch between full-auto, burst, and semi-auto on all the assault rifles. But unless they really cranked up the recoil or gave you a damage boost when you switched to semi-auto there wouldn't be much point.

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 20:06:41 Reply

At 6/25/11 12:07 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: In recent times, it has just been measured as a total. It was measured as a total in BF2 also.

It's weird since changing to semi shouldn't even be such a hassle to develop, but hey, I'm no programmer so I can't know. It was interesting to have mags instead of total, a bit annoying but it made the game more challenging.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
RazorHawk
RazorHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 20:36:57 Reply

At 6/25/11 12:07 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: At least you lose an ammo counter when you play hard core. That way you have to count your shots. But, since the assault rifles are automatic (insert rage about how they should be semi-automatic), it's hard to keep track.

I don't mind losing that information, but you should at least be able to tell how many ammo magazines you still have left. In real war, you wouldn't have a personal radar or digital count of how many bullets you still have left, but you would at least be able to count how many more magazines you still had on your belt.

Anyway, I hope BF3 still has the same kind of hardcore mode that BC2 has. That's the only way I play now.

Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 21:13:42 Reply

At 6/24/11 09:25 PM, naronic wrote:

Here's a tip, instead of pulling dried up raisin wit from your freshly PMS'd vagina, come up with actual points to counter mine instead of "Oh your wrong on every point because I think so why don't you pull head out of your arse HUR HUR HUR IM FUNNEH YOU NEVER HEARD THAT B4 LOL"

battlefield 3 pretty much tops the potential of realistic fps games from mechanic to mechanic,

I've already stated why games are not realistic. You have not proven otherwise. Here's a tip, instead of pulling dried up raisin wit from your freshly PMS'd vagina, come up with actual points to counter mine.

All you're doing is playing a broken record that keeps repeating the refrain "...live in a yellow submarine..." without telling me why it's iconic.

Try again.

Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 21:23:26 Reply

At 6/25/11 01:28 AM, Cootie wrote:
Which may be a good thing. I don't mind elements of realism, but I only want it to a certain point. Playing a 100% realistic shooter would be beyond frustrating. I mean imagine picking the sniper class and some unlucky fuck has to spot you for the whole match. And then you both would need headsets so he could tell you exactly where to aim and whatnot.

It just wouldn't be fun. The match would be over before you ever got to take a shot.

It's actually quite satisfying. There are people who do nothing BUT that in project reality. Snipers have never really been about inflicting the highest amount of casualties possible, but providing recon and destroying high value targets whenever possible. Of course, a vanilla n00b is not going to want to do that, they are just going to want to spam nades and n00b tube people, but there is a certain entertainment in providing recon for high value targets and a bit of a thrill knowing that you are surrounded by OPFOR.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-25 22:44:41 Reply

At 6/25/11 08:06 PM, MiroDK wrote:
At 6/25/11 12:07 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: In recent times, it has just been measured as a total. It was measured as a total in BF2 also.

It's weird since changing to semi shouldn't even be such a hassle to develop, but hey, I'm no programmer so I can't know. It was interesting to have mags instead of total, a bit annoying but it made the game more challenging.

In SOCOM 2, ammo was measured in magazines. And you could switch between semi-auto, 3 round burst, and auto, depending on the weapon. So it is definitely not too hard to develop.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 11:24:25 Reply

^ all examples that we've reached a forte for realism in games

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 15:25:19 Reply

At 6/25/11 09:13 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: I've already stated why games are not realistic. You have not proven otherwise. Here's a tip, instead of pulling dried up raisin wit from your freshly PMS'd vagina, come up with actual points to counter mine.

Here's a pro-tip: chose your words and show some respect or you'll end up banned, not being able to counter other peoples points. No but really, don't act like a shithead, ok?

When it comes to realistic games, there are various degrees of what's realistic and what isn't. The experience in itself can be percieved as realistic, even if the actual gameplay isn't (getting shot multiple times and still being able to run around, carrying endless amounts of first-aid and ammo etc.).

There are alot of things in games that can be alot more realistic than that even, strategic events and tactics can be rather realistic, percieved visuals and audio can be realistic etc. It's possibly never going to be 100% realistic, but alot of games try to mimic the reality, and many times what people THINK is realistic is what you can call "Hollywood realism". Fact is that sometimes visuals and audio doesn't even cut it, even if it's realistic. Exaggarations will actually in many occations help the player percieving the game as more realistic. It's all trix, just like in a Hollywood movie, but if it feels more "realistic" then that's what game devs. will aim for.

At the end of it, my whole point here is that one persons percieved feel of what's realistic can drastically differ from another persons. Previous experience, mental state of mind, awareness, psyche etc. are things that will matter when creating a "realistic experience", and are things that will affect your perception of an event in real life.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 15:46:34 Reply

At 6/27/11 03:25 PM, Rucklo wrote: Here's a pro-tip: chose your words and show some respect or you'll end up banned, not being able to counter other peoples points. No but really, don't act like a shithead, ok?

Oh man, if Rucklo (or maybe any mod at all) was active in the video game forum... awh shiit.

Neoncrotch
Neoncrotch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 16:40:38 Reply

I kinda have to agree with everyone who's getting Battlefield 3 instead of MW3. I've seen and encountered a lot of people who like to use quick scoping in the CoD games to cheat and get more kills. If you think about it you need no real skill to play MW3. I've seen the trailers for both MW3 and Battlefield 3 and I have to go with Battlefield 3 multiplayer-wise. It seems they haven't improved CoD much just the same old shit, same fuckers who like to camp, and people who think they're pro when in actuality it's just a game. In CoD you do nothing but shoot people to get killstreaks in multiplayer but in Battlefield you can actually use the battlefield at your own advantage, blowing walls and other shit up, calling in tanks, and looks way better. I've never played a Battlefield game because I've always stuck with CoD but I'm noticing that on the surface CoD is just so bland with the gameplay. It's time to try something new anyway. I'm soooo tired of Call of Duty. Hopefully, I won't waste my money with the change of heart switching to Battlefield.

BBS Signature
RazorHawk
RazorHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 21:46:58 Reply

As long as Battlefield 3 doesn't have little kids screaming, cursing, and singing stupid songs into the microphone, it's already many classes above MW3, which I'm sure will be smothered with that kind of crap. Meanwhile, MW3 looks like they changed absolutely nothing, and could have easily been a DLC for MW2.

Ironically, MW2 couldn't have said it any better. It's just the same shit, different day.

Anyway, I'm hoping that BF3 will be more like BF2 and not BC2. While BC2 isn't bad, it just feels a little clunky and dry. Not to mention I hate the helicopters in that game with a passion.

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-27 22:44:12 Reply

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to buy BF3 due to the dumb fucking Physical Warfare pack pre order bonus. In no circumstance, should you take content off of the disc, or lock out content for those who didn't pre order you game. If I pay $60 for a game, I expect everything, the fact that EA is taking bits and pieces away is completely fucked up in my opinion.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
RazorHawk
RazorHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-06-28 00:45:27 Reply

At 6/27/11 10:44 PM, ironraven24 wrote: I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to buy BF3 due to the dumb fucking Physical Warfare pack pre order bonus. In no circumstance, should you take content off of the disc, or lock out content for those who didn't pre order you game. If I pay $60 for a game, I expect everything, the fact that EA is taking bits and pieces away is completely fucked up in my opinion.

Just because of that? While I agree it's kind of dumb for them to do that, it's no reason to abandon this and tolerate that Call of Duty crap. It may just mean that people who preorder get the maps earlier than people who didn't. Personally, I think there are better way to promote a preorder, but it's something pretty minor overall.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-01 18:53:48 Reply

At 6/27/11 10:44 PM, ironraven24 wrote: I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to buy BF3 due to the dumb fucking Physical Warfare pack pre order bonus. In no circumstance, should you take content off of the disc, or lock out content for those who didn't pre order you game. If I pay $60 for a game, I expect everything, the fact that EA is taking bits and pieces away is completely fucked up in my opinion.

That is false. If you had kept up with EA's response you would see that the content is on the disk, it's just unlocked automatically when you preorder it.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-01 19:03:39 Reply

At 7/1/11 06:53 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
That is false. If you had kept up with EA's response you would see that the content is on the disk, it's just unlocked automatically when you preorder it.

Yup, it is just a "day-one access" kind of thing from what I take. People who pre-order will get it from the start while people who don't will have to level up and work for it the old fashioned way.

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-01 23:49:06 Reply

At 7/1/11 07:03 PM, Cootie wrote: Yup, it is just a "day-one access" kind of thing from what I take. People who pre-order will get it from the start while people who don't will have to level up and work for it the old fashioned way.

Originally the pack had three exclusive items and a one day one access item. Due to the boycott EA announced that those who don't pre order will get the items in the pack "at a later date" while pre orders get it from day one.

So yeah, I'm gonna buy it now.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
Graduation
Graduation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-03 22:35:42 Reply

At 6/27/11 11:24 AM, naronic wrote: ^ all examples that we've reached a forte for realism in games

Oh cool, another red herring that proves you point in exactly zero ways. I bet you guys think that the rifle and machine gun fire is realistic too. Here's something from someone who has heard the stuff first hand, those weapons in game sound nothing like what the stuff sounds like in real life.

BBS Signature
Danavers
Danavers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-04 00:06:08 Reply

At 7/3/11 10:35 PM, JohnnyDamon wrote:
At 6/27/11 11:24 AM, naronic wrote: ^ all examples that we've reached a forte for realism in games
Oh cool, another red herring that proves you point in exactly zero ways. I bet you guys think that the rifle and machine gun fire is realistic too. Here's something from someone who has heard the stuff first hand, those weapons in game sound nothing like what the stuff sounds like in real life.

It wouldn't be too cool if every gun made an insanely loud CRACK every time you fired it. I only fired the AR-15 on semi-auto so I couldn't imagine what an automatic would sound like. Probably break your speakers.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-04 02:09:50 Reply

Well, reaching the actually levels of combat would probably be damaging to your hearing. I fire my parents .357 magnum revolver all the time and I don't think that would be a pleasant sound for most people to hear over and over again.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-04 02:25:37 Reply

This. The first time I fired a rifle without ear protection (a .308 of all calibers) scared the shit out of me. My ears were ringing for a full day.

BBS Signature
Graduation
Graduation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to A Thread for Battlefield 3 2011-07-04 20:16:01 Reply

At 7/4/11 02:09 AM, Cootie wrote:
Well, reaching the actually levels of combat would probably be damaging to your hearing. I fire my parents .357 magnum revolver all the time and I don't think that would be a pleasant sound for most people to hear over and over again.

You all misinterpet me. Its not about decibel levels. A mama deuce does not make a high pitched pock pock pock sound as it fires. It makes a thundering boom boom boom sound. Another thing, what happens when a 125mm mortar is fired? That shit recoils and let's off a small shockwave that rattles all the lose dirt and dust in the immediate vicinity. What happens in a videogame? LOL boom.

BBS Signature