Be a Supporter!

Music Programs?

  • 685 Views
  • 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MushroomKingDX
MushroomKingDX
  • Member since: Jan. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Music Programs? 2011-01-31 17:01:23 Reply

I've been using Mixcraft 4 for a while, and I was wondering, are there any programs that are any better? I've used GarageBand too, but I can't help but think there must be something better. It might be that I'm not that good at using it though...


HERP DERP

Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-01-31 17:12:28 Reply

What's not to understand about 'READ THIS FIRST'?

Also this: http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-r esources/music-and-audio-resources/studi os-sequencers-and-composers

SatanPown
SatanPown
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-01-31 21:57:52 Reply

Yer,
I was looking into setting up a recording studio and found this product,

ProTools: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Pr oToolsMPowered8.html

Im looking into it however its a bit on the expensive side. I personally use Sibelius 6 right now but dont recommend it, it sounds a bit fake

J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-01-31 22:02:07 Reply

At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote: Yer,
I was looking into setting up a recording studio and found this product,

ProTools: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Pr oToolsMPowered8.html

Im looking into it however its a bit on the expensive side. I personally use Sibelius 6 right now but dont recommend it, it sounds a bit fake

A DAW has nothing to do with what sounds fake. It may sound fake because you are using crappy samples. You can have the worst DAW program on earth and still get an excellent sound as long as you have good samples/VSTi's.


Contact me if you would like reviews on your music! (or Collabs)

Join The Audio Portal for another place to post music

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-01 07:47:22 Reply

I beat wild yaks with sticks in order to recreate my music. Recording music is so 2010.


This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
RetromanOMG
RetromanOMG
  • Member since: Oct. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-01 08:19:42 Reply

At 2/1/11 07:47 AM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: I beat wild yaks with sticks in order to recreate my music. Recording music is so 2010.

Woah, that beats my style. I have a pulley system over my keyboard what just drops cinder blocks on random keys.

Some DAWs I'd recommend are Renoize, Reason, FL Studio and Ableton Live. I only have experience with FL though, so I think it's your best bet because of how simple to use it is.

moose3642
moose3642
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 00:34:08 Reply

At 2/1/11 08:19 AM, RetromanOMG wrote:
Woah, that beats my style. I have a pulley system over my keyboard what just drops cinder blocks on random keys.

Your style is SO cliche.

Wild yaks though...that's something new.

moose3642
moose3642
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 00:35:20 Reply

I give up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOwcpjr9w FA

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 06:25:49 Reply

At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote: I personally use Sibelius 6 right now but dont recommend it, it sounds a bit fake

Sibelius is not a music making program. That's for arranging MIDI files.....


bork bork bork

MJTTOMB
MJTTOMB
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 07:04:51 Reply

At 2/2/11 06:25 AM, crapatflash wrote:
At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote: I personally use Sibelius 6 right now but dont recommend it, it sounds a bit fake
Sibelius is not a music making program. That's for arranging MIDI files.....

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.

It's absolutely music software. It's a music notation program. It's made specifically for people who write music with the actual notes rather than piano rolls.

It's not a DAW, but it's definitely a music making program. As for the sounds being fake, a reminder that playback isn't the final goal of Sibelius. It's made for musicians who intend to have their works played live or musicians who want sheet music to their compositions.


BBS Signature
ACINO
ACINO
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 11:20:11 Reply

At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote:
It's not a DAW, but it's definitely a music making program. As for the sounds being fake, a reminder that playback isn't the final goal of Sibelius. It's made for musicians who intend to have their works played live or musicians who want sheet music to their compositions.

Its composing and notation program not music making.

Only..

Dino10
Dino10
  • Member since: Aug. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-02 15:13:31 Reply

At 2/2/11 11:20 AM, ACINO wrote:
At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote:
It's not a DAW, but it's definitely a music making program. As for the sounds being fake, a reminder that playback isn't the final goal of Sibelius. It's made for musicians who intend to have their works played live or musicians who want sheet music to their compositions.
Its composing and notation program not music making.

Only..

It's for MAKING MUSIC. That's why it's a MUSIC MAKING PROGRAM. Is this hard to understand?

BluGil
BluGil
  • Member since: Aug. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-03 01:52:48 Reply

I have experience with FL Studio, Reason, and a tiny bit of Ableton.

I began with FL and, well, its an odd situation - it makes you feel pretty beast because of its flashiness and ease of use, especially when you have several good VSTi's. Now the problem is, when you're using FL, you tend to not really be aware of what you're actually doing, and a lot of it just seems like shortcuts - like using Grossbeat for a sidechain or a Parametric preset to do a fadeout and in. Plus FL tends to put out that sort of signature "Made in FL" sound. That said, FL Studio is great for a beginner who wants to get some experience making music, and there are people who use it very effectively, including Deadmau5 (amongst other programs, that is) and allegedly, Basshunter.

From my experience, I much prefer Reason. It has only 3 actual synthesizers. So you end up learning every aspect of a synthesizer, which is pretty critical in the creation of electronic music. Rather than just plugging in a VSTi sound that you like, you create the synth sound from scratch (although there are presets you can use). Drum sampling is still readily available though, and pretty intuitive. Reason is essentially packed with every feature necessary to create nearly anything you want (That is, besides recording live audio) but you need to practice with it and know what you're doing. Nearly everything in Reason is manual and is a digital representation of an analog item. So learning to use Reason is a great introduction to the world of modern music production, including the more precise aspects of it, which is, in my opinion, good to learn.

pokerockmario
pokerockmario
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-04 11:51:41 Reply

There are LOADS of music programs.
I started with MODPlugtracker (A really long time ago), it's perfect for slow computers, but if you want something more advanced you should try Steinberg's "Cubase".

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-04 20:58:52 Reply

At 2/2/11 07:04 AM, MJTTOMB wrote:
At 2/2/11 06:25 AM, crapatflash wrote:
At 1/31/11 09:57 PM, SatanPown wrote: I personally use Sibelius 6 right now but dont recommend it, it sounds a bit fake
Sibelius is not a music making program. That's for arranging MIDI files.....
You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.

It's absolutely music software. It's a music notation program. It's made specifically for people who write music with the actual notes rather than piano rolls.

It's not a DAW, but it's definitely a music making program. As for the sounds being fake, a reminder that playback isn't the final goal of Sibelius. It's made for musicians who intend to have their works played live or musicians who want sheet music to their compositions.

Notice where I said, "not a music MAKING program", and then where you said "It's a MUSIC NOTATION program". Sibelius' final goal is to get things written on PAPER, not into a computer sound file. Therefore, you do not use Sibelius for making music, you use it for composing the score.

Maybe you should've read a bit deeper into what I was saying in the first post...


bork bork bork

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-04 21:35:52 Reply

:facepalm:

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 06:18:29 Reply

Acidpro, despite being a loop based program, can house some pretty badass VSTI synths if used as a DAW.

On the other hand, Ableton live sports just about everything you'd want really. Expencive yes, but just like Adobe prouducts are to productivity, Ableton live is the "Rolls Royce" of music creation software

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 07:06:01 Reply

At 2/4/11 09:35 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
facepalm:

X 2.

What's a music making program? I use a kayboardz :P

Music Programs?

seel
seel
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 08:59:01 Reply

This thread just reminded me of why I don't visit the audio forum any more.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 20:00:11 Reply

At 2/6/11 08:59 AM, seel wrote: This thread just reminded me of why I don't visit the audio forum any more.

Yeh.. it's almost like you have'to troll around the forums thiese day just to find a deicent topic to post on about....

But this forum is about music software, not on, how bored you are with the ap forums.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 21:40:06 Reply

I recommend everything except Reason.


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
BluGil
BluGil
  • Member since: Aug. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-06 23:54:01 Reply

At 2/6/11 09:40 PM, Space-Whale wrote: I recommend everything except Reason.

:( i frown'd

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-07 00:59:23 Reply

space-whale kinda has a point there.

Reason's programming, as far as being able to utilize soft-synths and VSTi, is far inferior to that of Cubase, Ableton, and Acid software. in fact with Acidpro you can modify the individual soft-synth's properties simply by changing it's XML code. and with Ableton Live you can create mod-macro's to handle just about anything you can dish up.

BluGil
BluGil
  • Member since: Aug. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Music Programs? 2011-02-07 02:08:06 Reply

At 2/7/11 12:59 AM, deathteknoX wrote: space-whale kinda has a point there.

Reason's programming, as far as being able to utilize soft-synths and VSTi, is far inferior to that of Cubase, Ableton, and Acid software. in fact with Acidpro you can modify the individual soft-synth's properties simply by changing it's XML code. and with Ableton Live you can create mod-macro's to handle just about anything you can dish up.

The whole idea of Reason is to not use VSTi's. You can still accomplish any imaginable sound. Thats the thing. It just takes understanding of the properties of a synthesizer. If a synthesizer has all the variables present, you can achieve any sound with it. So yes its certainly more difficult; but its ignorant to say that it can't accomplish the same thing. I like using Reason because I see it as a challenge to create a sound that I want, and the variability leads naturally to creativity and new ideas.