00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Movie Jam 1 Winners

21,865 Views | 68 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 15:58:47

The January Movie Jam got off to a bumpy start Friday night, with too many people in chat and an incorrect computer clock causing 7pm to catch us by surprise. It still managed to be AWESOME! CHECK OUT THE ENTRIES.

I would like to apologize to the writers from the written portion of the event. There was a change of course towards shorter stories after a lot of guys had already put time into their submissions, followed by a really messy selection process Friday night, and a lot of comments about the number of bad stories... In the end, lots of funny cartoons were made and I hope everyone had fun. Sorry to anyone who didn't get to see their stories get animated and especially sorry to anyone who did get to see their stories animated but didn't like the results. In the future, I think it's a given that we can't take the writing too seriously if animators will only have 48 hours to make it into movies. We still plan to have a larger-scope event, where winning stories and scripts are commissioned to be made into movies by some of NG's top talent.

TEAMS: Please be sure to add the writer as a Portal Buddy, and when he accepts, co-author him with at least 20% rev share.

WRITERS: Check this page to see if you have a buddy invite from the team that animated your story!

To keep the machine moving, WE'VE ALREADY SELECTED WINNERS.

1st - 3rd ($130, $100, $70 store credit split amongst teams)

THAT'S RIGHT, we totally snubbed Egoraptor, Oney and TomaMoto. I sure hope they win at something else some time! You can find their amazing shark movie on the MOVIE JAM PAGE.

Store credit will be applied once authors are credited. MindChamber would like to give an honorable mention:

Tomorrow is the start of voting for the Best of January, so check your account page tomorrow to see if you're on the voting panel.

If you're around this Friday, we'll be browsing the portal LIVE from 3-6pm EST, looking for gems from the past week. I'll make a post when we start, in case it's earlier.

Finally, upload your larger-sized User Picture and User Icon if you haven't done so already - they will show up on those pages if you have. These images will be presented at full size when the redesign launches.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:01:12

damn, i missed it...

i should read these news threads more often...

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:01:24

Most of them were really great! "Encounter" and "Pico and the Dandelions" were both funny.

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:03:10

Can we try to do a better time of avoiding letting spammers/teams that aren't serious about this? I was a little upset that the team that had my story was exactly this, a group of spammers who really had no intention of actually participating.

It's not a big deal, but it'll help things run smoother if you give the animators a little background check first. I'd be willing to help you out with this when the next Jam comes up.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:03:29

I've only watched Encounter and it was hilarious.

ONTOWATCHINGTHEREST

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:06:11

COLL!

Hello.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:06:51

Aww, mAAN!!! I JUST posted mine, LOL. I might not have won, but still, sorry I was late :P I had one of those perfect situations that made me lose unsaved work, you know how that goes. Still had fun, and I don't feel that I wasted my time, which is good, so thanks again!

Next year's will be better :P

Movie Jam 1 Winners

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:12:19

First

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:16:34

I guess that I'll have to try harder to get my story in the jam...

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:17:29

Proper Raptors was amazingly funny and probably my favourite entry. Didn't watch the other winners yet, they belong to the group of 3 - 4 videos I didn't watch yet. Congrats to all of the winners anyway.

Also "The Choice" and "John finds his Dog" were pretty funny movies. I thought one of them would enter the top three.

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:19:09

hahaha surprisingly there was actually some good submissions... velocity raptor one was fantastic. also its good to see egoraptor didnt get the auto-win even tho his was hilarious. Wish there was like 5 winners tho. I mighta had a shot. this was still really fun tho

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:20:55

Way to go guys and gals alike, great stuff, cant wait for future jams.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:23:52

fuck! it was so unfair, my movie should win
I'll sue you all faggots!

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:29:03

I think the results of this contest were nice, I have seen some funny entries yesterday. Proper Raptors was pretty good and I personally liked that Shark movie from Egoraptor. I expected the latter to at least win something, but apparently you guys decided to snub it. Oh well, you must've had your reasons.

Congrats to all the winners.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:31:42

At 1/31/11 04:03 PM, Fro wrote: Can we try to do a better time of avoiding letting spammers/teams that aren't serious about this? I was a little upset that the team that had my story was exactly this, a group of spammers who really had no intention of actually participating.

It's not a big deal, but it'll help things run smoother if you give the animators a little background check first. I'd be willing to help you out with this when the next Jam comes up.

I second this motion. The animated version of my torn apart story was somewhat offensive, I originally took the collab thing serious and was let down. I hope for better results next time around.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:36:50

Congratulations to all the winners!

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:52:00

Congrats to all the winners!

Also good job on arranging the first ever movie jam Tom, I think you've done a pretty good job considering it's the first movie jam ever here in NG. Must've taken you a lot of hard work and preperation getting those teams to pick a story then arranging them later to make the final product. Kudos to you good sir.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:55:35

At 1/31/11 04:03 PM, Fro wrote: Can we try to do a better time of avoiding letting spammers/teams that aren't serious about this? I was a little upset that the team that had my story was exactly this, a group of spammers who really had no intention of actually participating.

I think the only way to ensure participation from teams ... is an entrance fee.

Even if that fee isn't monetary... like, perhaps, your ability to ever participate in another jam?

Just a thought.

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 16:58:55

Whoa, winner? Wow! Thanks everyone, didn't expect that! But mega contrats to the team for all their hard work getting it done!

At 1/31/11 04:55 PM, RicePirate wrote:

I think the only way to ensure participation from teams ... is an entrance fee.

Even if that fee isn't monetary... like, perhaps, your ability to ever participate in another jam?

Just a thought.

Or have to have a certain batting average or at least one trophy or something as proof that they've made content before and with effort.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:00:27

To be honest, I knew this writing jam thing was going to fail.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:10:54

Much <3 to Team Wienerbarf, but I really think they got outclassed. (Most) Everyone did really good, and I can't wait until the next Jam. Good going, guys.

Hopefully inb4 lois

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:16:01

What happened to the idea that Mary Poppins stole an umbrella and sucked some guy off in mid-air?

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:17:32

Congrats to all the winners, awesome stuff here, I had a ton of laughs... Love Movie Jam, great opportunity to reveal fresh talents... :)

Keep it up guys!!

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks

Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:22:31

Wait a second, how are the winners already chosen? 48 hours from being assigned my story would be later tonight, at like... 9 pm Arizona time. Right? So... recount? LOL

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:24:06

Yea i agree. It might be worthwhile to keep some sort of naughty list. So that if someone bails on 3 jam's they are blacklisted. This was particularly frusterating in my last game jam KEVIN.

all in all it was fun, it was a little chaotic, but I kind of expected the first one to be a little rough around the edges.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:31:42

That was my idea you fucking theif! Go jump out a window, I need a new iPhone.

At 1/31/11 05:24 PM, Luis wrote:
Yea i agree. It might be worthwhile to keep some sort of naughty list. So that if someone bails on 3 jam's they are blacklisted. This was particularly frusterating in my last game jam KEVIN.

all in all it was fun, it was a little chaotic, but I kind of expected the first one to be a little rough around the edges.

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:39:14

I want to get blacklisted and eat ass for you all!
popular artits fagoots from front page!

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:40:31

Swimmin with the Sharks really looks overrated. A 3.5 at best.

I enjoyed a lot of the other submissions.

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 17:59:38

At 1/31/11 05:16 PM, XenonMonkey wrote: What happened to the idea that Mary Poppins stole an umbrella and sucked some guy off in mid-air?

It kinda got made...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Jam 1 Winners 2011-01-31 18:01:04

At 1/31/11 05:59 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/31/11 05:16 PM, XenonMonkey wrote: What happened to the idea that Mary Poppins stole an umbrella and sucked some guy off in mid-air?
It kinda got made...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 0898

Well I was wondering what happened to my story too.

BBS Signature