00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My book series: Freesnar fables.

975 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-01-31 02:43:07

A tail to remember
A mother and her son sat near a fire in the woods one night, the boy shivering because he wasn't close enough to the heat.
"Come and sit by the fire, my son. It's a very cold night." The mother beckoned.
The boy shuffled over and warmed his hands on the fire.
"Mum, is it true that your mother discovered another world?" The boy asked.
"Well, it's odd that you should mention that, because that's the reason I brought you out into the forest tonight. I will tell you the story of my mother and her friends she found, and when I am finished, you may ask whatever questions you want to. But listen carefully, because it's a long story, and I want you to soak in every word."
The boy sighed.
"Ok, mum."
The mother retrieved a big book from her back-pack and opened it up.
"Her story begins, not in her home, but in her old workplace, while she was working."
As she started reading, stars sparkled in the sky and all was quiet in the forest. It was like all the wildlife of the wood wanted to hear the story-teller as well.
Chapter One: The Electric Escape.
'Micklang appeared to be an ordinary red squirrel that lived in a large, very well protected zoo in London. But the squirrel was not ordinary on the inside.
Unlike other squirrels, Micklang had emotions that got him out of trouble in the zoo. Fear was the first emotion he had discovered, when he had almost been killed by a piece of shattered glass thrown at him from strange beings called people. Sadness was another, and disgust was the third, which he used heaps, especially when it came to being fed. He hated the strange round things the 'zoo-keepers' gave to him for food.
Also unlike other squirrels, Micklang could swim for large distances. He could achieve this because there was a pond that separated him from the on-lookers; he would swim through the pond to get food that people were trying to give to him. Not that it was much better than the round things the zoo -keepers gave him, but he had to live on something.
Another thing; and this is the very last difference; was that he had a small, but distinguishable, white point on his tail which caused tons of fake rumours among the visitors to the zoo.
He had spent four years in this prison called a 'zoo', never able to escape and always struggling to survive. He couldn't remember his life before being captured, but he knew he had lived for ten years, and today he was going to try to escape for the final time; he just prayed he was successful.
"Attention all visitors, the zoo will be closing in five minutes, please make your way to the exit as soon as possible." A static voice boomed through over-head speakers.
People of all ages zigzagged through the zoo, trying to find the fastest way out.
Micklang watched them from his small, sad excuse of a tree stump and sighed sadly.
"Today's the day, alright. I can't take anymore of this." He told himself.
A young, inexperienced zoo-keeper named Annie came in and poured water into Micklang's bowl, feeling bored the whole time. Micklang crept down silently from the 'stump' and landed behind the zoo-keeper. Then he sneaked past the woman as the food bowl was being filled.
He dashed out the door in one swift leap from the ground and swept down the path.
"This is it! Don't give up! Keep going. They haven't seen you yet." He encouraged himself.
Even though there were still some people hanging around, none of them saw him dash down the path because he kept to the shadows of other enclosures, jumping out when no-one was near.
"That's it. Dodge, weave, and keep to the shadows as much as possible; maybe try hiding in those bushes in the middle of the path. Keep going, you can do it!"
At one point he had to hide in a bush and wait for some people to cross a bridge which divided him from the fence around the zoo.
Once he saw there were no more people near the fence or on the bridge, he zoomed down the path, over the bridge, past some more enclosures and leapt up onto the fence.
"Squirrel! Squirrel!" A small voice cried, unexpectantly.
Micklang looked back to see a small boy pointing up at him in excitement.
He saw with relief that the child was alone and was not trying to get the attention of his parents because the cry was too quiet.
Micklang knew he couldn't talk to the child and tell the boy to be quiet, so he put a paw to his mouth signalling the boy to be quiet; something Micklang had been taught to do by the zoo-keepers.
The child repeated the sign and nodded happily.
"You escapee, Squirrel, I won't tell mummy 'bout you, me promise." The child vowed.
Micklang nodded and continued to climb.
The boy ran off, still with his finger to his mouth as a sign of silence.
If squirrels could laugh in this world, Micklang would after seeing the little child reunited with his mother.
"Right, that's one problem sorted out. Now to get over this fence and too deserved freedom."
Reaching the top of the fence, Micklang accidentally touched an electric wire without knowing it. He felt a strange sensation course through him and, even though he didn't realize it, his fur and tail had changed from the electricity and he now had grey and black fur and a zigzagged tail that looked like a lightning strike.
Micklang didn't want to stay to find out what it was that caused the strange feeling flowing through him, so he climbed down the other side of the fence and ran along the nice, soft grass.
He turned around to stare at the size of the zoo and was surprised to see how far he had come. He could see the same zoo-keeper that had fed him earlier head up the path to the exit.
More than anything he wanted to free the other animals in the zoo, but he didn't dare go back.
He ran; he didn't care which way or how far; but he just had one thing in mind: get as far away from the zoo as possible.

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-01-31 02:45:11

hope everyone likes these. it's a long book, so there will b tons more.

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-02-01 01:55:50

Well, you're new here, so no worries. But no one likes reading a wall of text. Please put a space between your paragraphs. Indentations don't work on NG forums. Also, the hook is really weak. Fix this and I will peruse through it.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-02-10 01:07:14

ok. thnx for the info, mate.
yeah, guess I should have made it more interesting.

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-02-10 01:39:11

At 2/10/11 01:07 AM, freesnarforever wrote: ok. thnx for the info, mate.
yeah, guess I should have made it more interesting.

It's not that your story isn't interesting, the problem is that it's hard to read without proper or at least semi-normal formatting.

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-02-15 20:12:48

proper formatting? how do u mean?

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-03-05 18:47:02

Finally, after running along the soft grass and past a few trees for a half-hour, Micklang stopped at a river and saw huge woodland looming in front of him.
Jumping into the river, he swam across and struggled onto the other side.
Without looking back, he rushed into the forest and jumped into a comfy pile of leaves.
Freedom! Never again would he enter that strange zoo.
He snuggled up in the leaves and sighed, smiling to himself.
Dozing off silently, he failed to notice two sinister figures watching him from high in the trees. The two figures spread their wings and flew off to tell others of their find.
Micklang was having dreams of another squirrel with a sword pointed at him.
The squirrel wore a belt and his voice was like a mighty king's when he spoke.
"Who are you?" Micklang queried.
"Hear me, young one; you have lots to do and not much time to do so. You must wake up and head for the hole that never ends. Do not let any see you." The strange squirrel explained.
"Why are you telling me this, what are the things I have to do?"
The Squirrel poked his sword at Micklang, trying to wake him up.
"Awake, you are in danger."
Micklang opened his eyes quickly and saw a bird about to attack him.
He rolled over just in time. The bird thudded into the ground and was knocked out, but that was the least of Micklang's worries.
There were more birds coming as he dashed behind a tree and another tried to attack him.
Grabbing a stick, he swung it around to try and fight back, all the time retreating into the forest.
The birds were startled to see Micklang try to fight back; but Micklang didn't care, just as long as it helped him out. Still retreating, he tripped over a log just before a bird managed to grab him in its beak. He was about to roll into a small stream when an angry eagle picked him up by his tail and took him high into the air. They went up slowly, Micklang with his stick swinging around and the eagle trying to get higher. Micklang stabbed the bird in its wing with his stick and then they both started to fall. As the two creatures fell, neither of them realised that they were heading straight for a hole in the ground. Micklang was still struggling with the eagle's powerful claws when they entered the hole. The eagle hit the side of the hole first, stunned, and let go of Micklang.
Micklang found he was free-falling through the hole being hit by the eagles' tail or claws. One time he hung onto the eagle's feathers to avoid being hit by rocks.
Unfortunately, the eagle hit a rock sticking out and twisted around, swinging Micklang underneath in the process again, Micklang slipped and free-fell again.
Micklang, as best as he could, tried to dodge rocks or grit as he fell down the hole, but it wasn't good enough. He saw the rock before he hit it, thinking he could avoid it, but he didn't.
The poor squirrel was knocked out but still falling.
The eagle hit the rock as well and knocked it out because of its weight.
Unknown to either Micklang or the eagle, the hole was getting wider and there was a distant light appearing below.
"Micklang, my friend, you have done well. But you are hurt badly." The Squirrel in Micklang's dream observed.
"I tried to get away from the birds, but an eagle grabbed me and I'm afraid that the eagle could kill me."
"He won't, trust me on that. You found the hole, like I wanted you too. But you must do something else for me before you find out who I am,"
The Squirrel placed its sword into Micklang's paws as he continued.
"Use your weapon to stop yourself from dying. You are almost free, young one,"
Micklang nodded at the squirrel as he tried to wake himself up.
"Good luck, Great warrior." The Squirrel's voice faded as Micklang woke up.
He was still falling with the eagle and boulder right behind him, but he could see that they were no longer in the hole; they were in the sky falling towards the ground at an incredible speed.
Readying himself with his stick, he looked back to see the eagle was still blacked out and the rock was almost catching up with it.
Then he had an idea: Using the stick as a paddle, he slowly came level with the rock and grabbed onto it tightly.
The ground was getting clear now and Micklang gasped at what he saw. Mountains, rivers, woods, oceans and lakes covered the land as far as he could see.
They passed through a bunch of clouds and Micklang closed his eyes to protect them from the wind and rain gathering in the clouds.
When he opened them again, he positioned himself on the rock so he was ready when they landed on the ground.
But they wouldn't land on the ground, because they were heading straight for an enormous lake.
Down on the ground, although there were no creatures or humans there, there was life none the less. Something was moving in a forest near the lake, something that could see the duo falling.
"What in the name of my good mother is that?" A conifer tree queried, apparently talking to nothing.

Chapter Two: The Trees Threatening Trial.

My book series: Freesnar fables.

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-03-14 02:59:03

ok. thanks for the tip. i'll keep it in mind

JustparodiesMan

Response to My book series: Freesnar fables. 2011-03-14 03:07:00

following the advice of a fellow newgrounds person, I have decided to make this one shorter and easier to read.
"That be true, but be thankful we pushed the boat out to it, otherwise it would be sunk like the other two objects from the sky."
"What do you think it is?"
"Well, it ain't a tree, that's for sure. Certainly a curious thing though, look at its' tail. It almost looks like lightning with fur covering it. Do you think it will live, Tursorl?"
"It should, I think it's sleeping or catching its breath." The Conifer named Tursorl answered.

Micklang thought he was imagining things again. He could hear the voices clearly, but he couldn't figure out why the voices were saying things he could understand. Were there other squirrels besides him there?

"I can hear you, whoever or whatever you are. Please come out, I don't want to hurt you. I'm a friend." Micklang announced without turning around.

Tursorl looked at the other trees and then walked forwards to the squirrel.
The thumping of Tursorl's feet startled Micklang and he turned around to see the big tree walking towards him, frightened about how big the conifer's stride was.
Micklang jumped up and hid behind his boat, pointing his stick out at the tree in case he had to fight it.

Tursorl chuckled at the sight of the small squirrel doing this, shaking a few cones off in the process.
"Well now! You're a brave one, brandishing that tough piece of stick at a tree like me, friend. Come now, I don't mean you any harm." Tursorl soothed Micklang, leaning down and extending his hand to the frightened squirrel.

Micklang took a look at the extended branch and made another look at the tree, still surprised at the conifer's huge size.
"You're a tree? But, how is that possible? And how can you understand me?"
"Well, we're speaking our natural languages, my small friend, but some magic makes us able to understand each other. As for how I'm able to walk, t'is pretty much the same reason, though no-tree has ever figured out what it is. Now; young and small creature, tell me, what are you and who are you?"

Micklang came out from behind the boat and bowed gently and slowly.
"I am a squirrel; a tree climber that collects nuts and, usually, doesn't like swimming. My name is Micklang, but you can call me Micky for short."
"Well, young Micky, a squirrel that's a tree-climber and a swimmer, you have quite gifted talents. Would you like to meet my friends?"

Jumping into Tursorl's hand, Micklang replied happily.
"I'd love to, but, tell me sir, what be your name?"
Tursorl chuckled again, wobbling Micklang around in the process.
"No need to call me sir, I'm called Tursorl around here: Tursorl chief of the trees of Faraway Lake. It is good being chief, because the other trees listen closely to my rules and follow them precisely, although, you do have to watch out for the occasional restless one. Ahoy, my fellow trees, this be our new friend Micklang the squirrel, but he'd rather be called Micky, which is fine with me. You can show yourselves now." Tursorl announced.

JustparodiesMan