Be a Supporter!

Choose your own adventure

  • 304 Views
  • 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 00:55:52 Reply

After every post in this thread by me, there will be a choice. The next person posting in the thread will make the decision of which way the story will go, and at my convenience I will continue the story (expect a 1-2 day delay between my posts, maybe less depending of my work load at school)

------------------

The towers of the Intrak are the last bastion of high technology after a war that devastated human society. Over a hundred years ago a machine known as the Thunderists was invented. A humanoid robot that completely replaced conventional soldiers. The powerful countries of the world raced to buy up the technology, and the company that made it quickly grew to one of the largest in the planet. Soon it had entered every part of life, both military and private. Then at one flip of a button the Thunderist's began to kill humanity.

The five day war. Every bastion of government and leadership was wiped out in only five days, and then in the ruins of the population centers of various countries around the planet they began to build the towers. These towers were filled with the executives and leaders of the company who created the Thunderist's. For reasons unknown they decided to overthrow society, they now are the soul inhabitants who live without fear on the planet.

The rest of humanity was thrown to the way side and forced to build a meager existence in the wastes of what used to be the world. Any instances of high technology would be punished with death.

Enter our main character Xyotle. The sun of the man who runs the water farm for the settlement of Silverwash. Build on the outskirts of the Salt Lake City ruins. His father along with the majority of the able bodied adults have left for the better part of two months to build a new water mill on top of a spring hundred miles to the north. Xyotle has been left to maintain the local water mills that supply the town with most of it's drinking water and irrigation.

Enter in our next main character. While doing routine repairs to a water mill on the shores of a local lake a young woman appears walking down the beach head towards him. She is injured, so much in fact that she passes out before she is able to tell him her name. He takes her back into town and put her up at his house, it is nearly nightfall, and going around even in town at night could be dangerous. Wild animals were liable to enter into and destroy any building that wasn't securely locked down. He decides put her asleep in his fathers bed for the night, he does his best to dress her wounds and clean her up. He looks in her bag for a second set of clothing for her, only to discover the only thing in there is machinery. To his horror he realizes that he has just met a Mechromancer. Harboring a mechromancer, if the Thunderist's found out, would not only mean his death, but the deaths of the entire town.

________________________________

Choice: Attempt to throw her out right that moment, or harbor for the night and send her on her way in the morning.


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
earphonesan
earphonesan
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 03:19:20 Reply

At 1/30/11 12:55 AM, zalecot wrote: Choice: Attempt to throw her out right that moment, or harbor for the night and send her on her way in the morning.

Very interesting read. Looking forward to more.

I think he should attempt to throw her out.


I don't speak my mind, I just say whatever pops into my head.

zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 13:12:57 Reply

At 1/30/11 03:19 AM, earphonesan wrote:
At 1/30/11 12:55 AM, zalecot wrote: Choice: Attempt to throw her out right that moment, or harbor for the night and send her on her way in the morning.
Very interesting read. Looking forward to more.

I think he should attempt to throw her out.

Xyotle in his panic repacks her bag and wraps her in the blanket off his fathers bed before dragging her towards the front door. After listening for a long while to make sure the wild animals had gone he unlatches the bolts holding it secure and slowly forces the heavy gate open. It's a full moon, and the entire ramshackle town is bathed in moonlight. He drags the girl and her bag out to the shed next to the house, and puts her inside, in the hopes that the animals won't tear her apart during the night.

While walking back through the garden he hears a rustle among the plants. From within one of the onion patches a young wolf gazes at him. In his panic he casts his vision around seeing that the one wolf is not alone, but that there were at least three more around him. The wolf leaps from within the reeds towards him, but in mid flight it lets our a strangled yelp and its neck explodes in a shower of gore. The other wolves, after seeing their comrades demise, flee the area. Xyotle looks towards the source of the gunfire, seeing the girl standing in the door frame of the shed holding a long barreled pistol.

"T-thank you. I'm sorry I p-" But he was cut off as a dark struck him in the throat, and it was merely moments before he lost consciousness.

His eyes were heavy, his arm to, something was pressing on it. As he slowly regained his senses he tried to move, but realized he had been strapped down. He eyes fluttered to see the girl working on his arm, the flesh was open as she was implanting something into it. The flash of steel was exposed as she worked on his open flesh.

"What the fuck are you doing!" Roared Xyotle, his words slurring in his still drugged state.

"Integrating you with a SNBA, A secondary nerve battle apparatus, it'll make you much stranger than you are now. Also, stop your whimpering, you aren't feeling pain, I have you anesthetic." She began sewing the wound closed, and Xyotle gazed around the room in horror, it was his house, he was strapped to the table he ate dinner at. There was stitches all over his right arm, she had already finished there, it looked normal except for dark metallic rings covering his arm and even intervals.

"I'm almost done, before I finish I will administer another anesthetic so you can sleep through the night. By tomorrow morning the nanites will have repaired your arms and integrated with your physiology. I will then untie you, and do not even begin to think of hurting me. If I were to die the nanites now coursing through your blood stream will kill you." She smiled at him, under any other circumstances it would have been good natured, but like this is was the most terrifying thing so far. She slipped into her bag once more and withdrew a syringe, then inject the liquid within into his neck.

The next morning he woke up feeling as if no time had passed, he had been moved to his bed. For a moment he could believe it had all been a dream, but a glance at his arm refuted that. And a look over to his fathers bed confirmed she was still here. What could he do? These things were now in him, if he didn't somehow get rid of them he could never go back to a normal life.

-------------------------------

Choice: Go to the local medicine woman to see if she can remove the machines inside him, or try to hide it from the rest of the town?


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
XLR83
XLR83
  • Member since: Sep. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 14:00:37 Reply

At 1/30/11 01:12 PM, zalecot wrote: Choice: Go to the local medicine woman to see if she can remove the machines inside him, or try to hide it from the rest of the town?

Hm, i think he should "try to hide it from the rest of the town", because i think that what she had done to him might come in handy some day..

zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 22:34:38 Reply

At 1/30/11 02:00 PM, XLR83 wrote:
At 1/30/11 01:12 PM, zalecot wrote: Choice: Go to the local medicine woman to see if she can remove the machines inside him, or try to hide it from the rest of the town?
Hm, i think he should "try to hide it from the rest of the town", because i think that what she had done to him might come in handy some day..

"Well, looks like you're awake." The girl had sat up and was rubbing sleep out of her eyes. To his shock Xyotle realized she had been wearing nothing under the blanket on the bed and instinctively averted his eyes.

"No point in that, we're going to be traveling together soon enough anyway, you're going to see it eventually. Besides you only live once, and with the life you are going to have from now on you're not going to know how many chances you'll have to see a good looking girl like me." There was a long pause, and when Xyotle did not look she covered herself in the sheets off the bed. "Fine, you prude. Doesn't matter I suppose, you can look now."

"Who - who are you?" stammered Xyotle. He had never been more terrified in his life, he wanted to just go work on the mills, he didn't want any part in this. He looked down at his mutilated arms, except they weren't mutilated any more. All the stitches were gone and there wasn't a single sign of scaring.

"My name is Lukita. I am on the run from the Intrak tower built on the ruins of a place called Las Angeles, way far to the west. I am in need of a body guard if I am going to complete what I am attempting to do, and you happened to be the first person to I met." She smiled at him before bending down to dig through her bag, she withdrew from it a set of clothing. It was nothing like they what they had, they had always lived with a combination of animal fur, cloth woven from local flax, and anything that could be salvaged from the ruins to the south. Hers were shiny, like it was made of the reflective slivers of plastic abundant among the same ruins. She let go of the bed sheet letting it fall to the floor, and began dressing, Xyotle quickly covered his eyes once more.

"Those rings on your arm. It's part of what I have implanted into you. They are tiny machines now living inside of your body. They'll make you run fast, make your muscles stronger, and make you heal faster, but most important is what comes out of those ports. It's called a Semi-organic matrix, it's made of enormous amounts of the tiny machines and can be molded to by your thoughts into weapons you can use to protect me... You're not getting any of this are you." She had finished dressing and crossed the room towards him, and took his hand away from his face. Tears were streaking his skin and he had begun to tremble uncontrollably.

"I'll never be able to live a normal life again! You know what you've done! I'm a outcast, and outlaw, everything is going to try to kill me!"

"You and me both stupid." She crossed her arms and met his gaze. "Besides, do you want to just sit here on this little farm all your life? Compared to what you could have if my plan works. The world could be like it was before those towers were built."

"You keep talking about these towers? What are they, why do they matter?" Xyotle had calmed down slightly, but was still rocking back and forth slowly.

"That's right, you have never seen one. It's where the Thunderists that come by the town every so often come from. They weren't always there, a long time ago humans lived in giant towers of metal and stone. Those ruins to the south, it used to be an enormous city of what we had. Not just a few hundred people like this town, I'm talking thousands and thousands. I want to bring that world back, and if you help me I c-" Lukita was cut of as an explosion from outside shook the shack. Xyotle wheeled around in bed to stare at the wall in the direction the explosion and emanated from.

------------------------------

Choose: Investigate the explosion or hide inside the house and hope what caused it does not come near.


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-30 23:02:46 Reply

Investigate the explosion. It sounds like a better idea than hiding.


BBS Signature
zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-31 21:05:43 Reply

At 1/30/11 11:02 PM, Chdonga wrote: Investigate the explosion. It sounds like a better idea than hiding.

Xyotle jumped of the bed and ran through the single bedroom to the large common room that functioned as both kitchen and parlor. Some of the large ceramic jars full of dried fruits and salted coyote meat had fallen and smashed on the floor. Xyotle undid the bolts and latches in order to open the door, and when he did caught the sent of smoke on the air.

He house had been build on a hill, looking over the town, because it was close to the main well. What he say rooted him to the spot. A thunderist, at least twenty feet tall, was wading through one of the buildings. It wasn't using it's weapons, that would have been a waste of ammunition against such defenseless opponents. It was simply crushing them under the treads that it used for movement.

Swarming around its bottom half were dozens of smaller machines, in the shape of wolves. Like the gleaming silver fish swarming around a whale they took to the destroyed building picking out anyone who had survived and shredding them under their razor sharp limbs. They had started from the opposite side of town, and had left a trail of gore and debris in their wake.

Behind them was something different, something that was not participating in the combat. Two spindly lanes stretched to the ground, like a crane wading through a pond the platform it supported stayed above the sea of blood. Inside was a man sitting upon a throne, smiling down over his dominion. Xyotle realized normally this would have been to far away to see, somehow his eyes had zoomed in on the man, he opened his mount, and his voice was amplified by horns spaced around the base of the grotesque throne room.

"The township of Silverwash has been condemned to death for the harboring of a prisoner guilty of the crime of practicing engineering. Your deaths will be quick and painless, be thankful, except for those we find who directly helped the rogue mechanomancer. They shall be tortured for days, as long as it takes to draw out the information we need. For the mechanomancer herself it will take years, and we slowly regenerate your body at the same time ripping it asunder. Only the best for those who defy the rulers of this world." He began laughing, the mirth that filled it was sickening. Xyotle began to wretch right there, kneeling over as the heaves overcame him.

"You know you have the power to stop this. That is what I gave you with that implant. If you want anyone to survive you need to take charge what is now inside you and fight." Lukita had appeared behind him, and he looked back, wiping sick from his face. Xyotle looked down at his arm, a sludge like substance had already begun bubbling out of the rings on his arms.

------------------------------------

Option: Stand your ground, or attempt get out of these before the machines reach your house or [insert your idea here, if it is reasonable I will do it instead]


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
Pride
Pride
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-01-31 21:30:58 Reply


Option: Stand your ground, or attempt get out of these before the machines reach your house or [insert your idea here, if it is reasonable I will do it instead]

Hmm I'd say try and get out of there with Lukita maybe find out more about what's going on, not sure if he's strong to fight off a horde of machines. Besides endless torture is never a fun alternative lol

zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Choose your own adventure 2011-02-01 00:28:57 Reply

At 1/31/11 09:30 PM, BigMike47 wrote:

Option: Stand your ground, or attempt get out of these before the machines reach your house or [insert your idea here, if it is reasonable I will do it instead]
Hmm I'd say try and get out of there with Lukita maybe find out more about what's going on, not sure if he's strong to fight off a horde of machines. Besides endless torture is never a fun alternative lol

By the way, the last post was the end of chapter 1, entitled The Silverwash Massacre.

-------------------

Xyotles terror finally let him go, he turned around and began to run. The blind terror filling had overwhelmed any semblance of rational thought and all that remained was the urge to run. His arms were getting worse, the black sludge was running in steams down his arms and pooling on his hand forming a slick glove. Then a shot rang through the air and by his feet a bullet hole appeared, he turned around to stare at Lukita.

"We need to get out of here, we're going to die!" Tears had begun to roll down his face, and his nose was running. He wanted his father, why did he have to leave the town, why?

"I'm not letting you run away you coward. Those little machines have been working on you all night, and I believe you will be able to win. Do you just want to sit here and let your village be killed?" Of course he didn't, it was just, the Thunderists, you're taught since you were a kid just to run. If the Thunderists wanted to see you gone you could never beat them, only run.

With his emotions running so high the ooze on his arms had increased, now from fingertip to shoulder his arms were covered in the goo. It had elongated his fingers into claws, continued to lengthen. Suddenly his body stiffened, he couldn't move an inch. His vision clouded them sharpened, his view overlapped with red boxes outlining the different machines rampaging through the town. His body, against his will, snapped to salute in from of Lukita, who had taken a remote out of her pack. She was entering commands in furiously, which must be what was causing his muscles to react.

"I'm sorry, I am not going to let you run. You are going to destroy those machines; I know you can do it. I believe in you." She pressed a few more buttons before holding the remote limp in her hand. Xyotles body began to react on it's own, sprinting across the space separating them from the village. The elongated fingers of his hand had solidified into single enormous blades, gleaming in the light.

His legs were moving at speeds beyond normal humans, and each bound took him five yards closer to the great machine. The small ones had already noticed him, their sensory modules turning in his direction in unison. They surged towards him as one entity. His arm automatically raised itself, and the black sludge lanced out in a single stream, spearing on of the machines through the head. From there the body exploded and the sludge branched out spears heading in every direction to crush and pierce through processors. The machines fell limp around hims as the sludge, with a mind of its own, swirled around him cutting down the metal wolves.

The titan construct, at the death of its fellows, finally perceived a threat. The two guns mounted on its shoulders swiveled to face him, before belching lead in his direction. The only thing that stopped it was a shield ebony gunk. It bowed in slightly wherever a bullet struck, but held steady. His legs tensed and fell into a squat before propelling him into the air. A globule of sludge formed on his shoulder before racing down his arm to fire like a cannonball at the machine's head. The orb wrapped around the things head like protrusion before constricting, there was a crunch of metal the the machine slowed, then stopped.

The man on the mobile throne sat, mouth agape. The sword weapon reformed as his legs pushed off the casing of the titan, propelling through the air at the man. The man attempted to fun, stumbling over his chair to reach the other side, but after only two leaps across the broken rooftops Xyotle was upon him, knocking him to the floor of the platform. Xyotle held the sword high over his head, the mans terrified eyes reflecting off of it.

--------------------------

As per the last choice, he did try to get out, I never said he succeed :P

Option: Kill him, or let him live, or third option you choose, if it is reasonable I'll do it


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature