00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The bass frequency that shakes you.

29,420 Views | 31 Replies

Does anyone know the bass frequency that "shakes" you?

In more technical terms, if anyone has been to a concert or has very powerful speakers, they will notice that at certain times that when a specific bass frequency plays, they feel their "insides shaking", which is pretty much the air in your chest moving in and out very fast because of the bass frequency. Sometimes it's also felt in your groin. That's a good one....

(I am not referring to the brown note.)

So does anyone know what that frequency is, and if that frequency is the same for everyone, or it varies between each person?

The bass frequency that shakes you.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 22:53:10

I think it's one of those sub bass frequencies below 60 hz.
They can be heard, but are felt more by the body.

Everyone has a sig... Except me. :(

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 23:01:19

At 1/28/11 10:53 PM, TeHLoY wrote: I think it's one of those sub bass frequencies below 60 hz.

Well yeah, definitely below 100hz. But what about a pinpointed # of hz?

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 23:02:47

At 1/28/11 10:53 PM, TeHLoY wrote: I think it's one of those sub bass frequencies below 60 hz.

We can hear down to 20Hz.

Listen to Fauré's Requiem in concert, if you get the chance. The organ has some really, really low bass notes -- right at the bottom of its range -- that are barely audible, but shake the entire concert hall.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 23:09:29

At 1/28/11 11:02 PM, RampantMusik wrote:

Listen to Fauré's Requiem in concert, if you get the chance. The organ has some really, really low bass notes -- right at the bottom of its range -- that are barely audible, but shake the entire concert hall.

I can only hear to 40hz. That's my lowest. And my highest is about 14.5khz. I'm f-ed up...

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 23:22:49

At 1/28/11 11:09 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote:
At 1/28/11 11:02 PM, RampantMusik wrote:

I can only hear to 40hz. That's my lowest. And my highest is about 14.5khz. I'm f-ed up...

Nah, you can lose your ability to hear the full range as you get older, and also if you listen to a lot of loud music.

Now, in your case, you might not actually be able to hear the lowest notes on an organ. So for you, you will actually only feel it rather than hearing it. Imo, that's actually pretty frickin' cool.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-28 23:52:45

Well I can't hear 20hz at normal volume levels (below 90db), but at high levels I can faintly hear it. Anyways, still looking for dat frequency *bites bottom lip*

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 00:17:24

At 1/28/11 11:52 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Well I can't hear 20hz at normal volume levels (below 90db), but at high levels I can faintly hear it. Anyways, still looking for dat frequency *bites bottom lip*

Resonant frequencies will vary based on gear, room, your position, size, etc... There's no single frequency if you want a resonant one. Try just doing a slow bass slide with a nice visualizer up and marking where it "moves you."

If you just want a nice rumble on a large system, anything around or below 20 Hz will do for shaking the room.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 00:20:40

bass of that frequency is a personal thing... Think of several different size crystal wine glasses.. each one has its own volume, key and frequency that will shatter it.

a very large fat dude will feel a slightly different frequency than a skinny small dude.

its basically a matter of volume and frequency.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 00:47:29

I see that you have a wrong idea about frequencies.
Frequency is the same as pitch, a lower frequency also means the pitch is lower.

20 hz is a constant D#, and I don't think I'd want to hear the bass constantly at the same pitch. This frequency always varies. Frequencies are always in ranges, so there's more room for different notes to be classified under the same frequency range.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 04:13:44

if you go to a gym where they have one of those "whole body vibration" machines (which is a bullshit excuse for an exercise machine but that's not the point), you can stand on that and turn a knob to adjust the frequency at which it vibrates. When it feels like hell or like you're going to literally bounce off the thing, that's the resonant frequency of your entire body.

Though I'm not sure if you could use that for anything worthwhile because people and even body parts have different resonant frequencies

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 10:14:37

Didn't Tesla try to build a machine to use resonant frequencies to knock over building or something like that? I remember reading or watching something about that...

or something.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 11:20:03

Definitly around 35Hz.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 12:00:34

At 1/29/11 10:14 AM, djInTheDark wrote: Didn't Tesla try to build a machine to use resonant frequencies to knock over building or something like that? I remember reading or watching something about that...

or something.

Ah, yes, I've heard of it.
Mythbusters proved of wrong. They set a machine vibrating at a certain frequency on a bridge. Once it was calibrated, the whole bridge started to vibrate to the resonant frequencies, and it could be felt from a very long distance.
But it didn't collapse.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 12:11:32

Nav and Symbol touched on it, there isn't some magically set frequency/pitch that "shakes" you.

But wait... aren't perceived sounds oscillations in atmospheric pressure?

Der yaw. All sound vibrates you. Raise the amplitude to a high enough level at any lower frequency and you'll feel it. Blast yourself with 5khz at +200db from a few feet away and you'll (probably) feel it. Doesn't mean it feels good (also probably).

My personal response to this though Myster Moon is that if your goal is 'shake' people, you'd be better off just telling people to raise their volume really loud then trying to make a song that does that specifically.

Cause you should be using bass in your songs anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 13:20:36

IO there is most definitely a range of frequencies that will "shake" you more than others (you absorb more of it) due to the physical phenomenon of resonance and I think that's what he's talking about

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 13:39:03

At 1/29/11 01:20 PM, SBB wrote: IO there is most definitely a range of frequencies that will "shake" you more than others (you absorb more of it) due to the physical phenomenon of resonance and I think that's what he's talking about

We are organic mushy inconsistent matter, mostly made of water, which ripples pretty easily.

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 13:42:23

I'm not entirely sure what your point is?

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 14:06:48

At 1/29/11 01:42 PM, SBB wrote: I'm not entirely sure what your point is?

We don't really shake at one frequency more then others.

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 14:15:34

At 1/29/11 02:06 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:

And that sound travels well though water? lawl

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 14:31:21

At 1/29/11 02:06 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:

Guess not, I don't really know myself

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-29 22:51:06

I know that every part of the body has it's own "resonant frequency", but I am sure that there is one that works for (mostly) everyone. I don't wanna use bass sweeps for what I am trying to do, I just want the one bass frequency. Preferably the one that gives you that odd feeling when you are breathing/you feel the vibrations in your lungs and chest.

If anyone can do the test on themselves, could you see what bass frequency you feel most strongly and post it back here? It be good to see whether we all actually have a same/similar frequency. I'll try it tomorrow if no one is home.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-30 20:59:27

Barium (total), Chromium (total), Cyanide, Mercury (total inorganic), Nitrate, Nitrite, Selenium (total), Trichlorofluoromethane, 1,2,4-Trichlorobenzene, cis-1,2-Dichloroethylene, 2,2-Dichloropropane, Monochloroacetic acid, Dibromoacetic acid, Chloroform, Xylenes (total), p-Dichlorobenzene, 1,1-Dichloroethylene, 1,1-Dichloroethane, 1,1,1,2-Tetrachloroethane, Monochlorobenzene (Chlorobenzene), Toluene, Ethylbenzene, Alpha particle activity (incl. radon & uranium), Combined Uranium (pCi/L), Cadmium (total), Lead (total), Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, Heptachlor epoxide, MTBE, Total haloacetic acids (HAAs), 1,2-Dibromo-3-chloropropane (DBCP), Bromoform, Bromodichloromethane, Dibromochloromethane, Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs), 1,2-Dichloroethane, Carbon tetrachloride, 1,2-Dichloropropane, Trichloroethylene, 1,1,2-Trichloroethane, Tetrachloroethylene, Benzene, Alpha particle activity (excl radon and uranium), Radium-226, Radium-228

those chemicals found in tap water and food + deadly brain damaging vibrations = no wonder you behave in such a way

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-01-30 21:51:51

At 1/30/11 08:59 PM, unowned wrote:
those chemicals found in tap water and food + deadly brain damaging vibrations = no wonder you behave in such a way

foo, I drink ddt for breakfast, I ain't scared a that

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-06 17:48:58

just have ur subs pitch controlled by an evelope and have it rise quickly from an octave lower so that if u use the sub properly (play it in the right range) everybody will shake at some point during the start of each note.

:P

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-08 18:05:43

I think that anthing below 100hz will make some objects shake, but below 40 will make insides scream for mercy, depending on the sound system.

A good way to "feel" the bass notes is to buy an overpriced amp, some big speakers, put it in the trunk of your car and set and EQ preset of +30dB at 80hz, then you will for sure FEEL music but at the same time you might be deaf.

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-08 18:18:48

At 2/8/11 06:05 PM, KrisSumara wrote:
buy an overpriced amp,

I lol'd at this part

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-08 20:37:21

Matching a certain resonance with a corresponding frequency makes the sub go crazy. Thats why it hits harder on some notes than others. Play with the low pass filter and it's resonance and youll see that you can line them up and get it to wub out.

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-09 09:34:24

At 2/8/11 06:18 PM, Envy wrote:
At 2/8/11 06:05 PM, KrisSumara wrote:
buy an overpriced amp,
I lol'd at this part

The more pay the better the bass ;p, that's why it's better to get something overpriced haha.

BBS Signature

Response to The bass frequency that shakes you. 2011-02-14 14:37:56

Usually a resonating and harmonic bass frequency will be doubled when a kickdrum is played right when a certain bass note is played which combines those two into one frequency range spectrum, usually making the room shake. This is usually observed below at about below 30hz but as such can be heard in the 50hz range where if playing a real bass guitar, the finger hitting the string shows a note changing to determine variation and to eliminate muddiness but this is irrelevant. This is also why recommended to boost at about that frequency range for the bass guitar to hear the notes change when the string is picked or hit.

BBS Signature