Respond to this Topic
AudioVision
AudioVision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 25th, 2011 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Sorry, that got messed up. I was responding to Tom.

BBS Signature
Squishy69
Squishy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 25th, 2011 @ 11:54 PM Reply

Gee, I hope my story didn't cause too much distress. Well the best course of action I say is to just run with what is here and then instill the 1-3 sentence rule next time. Or if you're gonna change it now then definitely give us a heads-up; I wouldn't want to miss out :P

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 01:18 AM Reply

I fucking loved Garfield the Cat on the front page. The second one of that series blows though. Props for whoever found it!

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 01:20 AM Reply

At 1/25/11 10:34 PM, FurryDemon wrote: The icon mods are to blame for not having the redesign yet, they are slow and incompetent.

hey fuck you

­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 02:51 AM Reply

I'm sorry but restricting writers to just a few sentences seems a bit unfair to me. All a writer brings to a collab like this is his creativity, and you are preventing us from showing that in favour of someone else's creativity. As far as I'm concerned I don't feel I deserve to be credited on an animation if all I have contributed is a couple of lines of rubbish, which have then been interpreted and changed anyway.

If you want writers to take part, let writers take part. There is nothing wrong with a long submission so long as the actual plot is simple. My story for example was easy to summarise in your three sentence limit, but was originally 1000 words because I wanted to write something that was enjoyable to read without needing animators to make it worthwhile. Most of the story was visual description to inspire an animator and help to get across what I had in my mind when I was writing it- I wasn't expecting it to be literally stuck to, but interpreted with some ideas used and some scrapped. It was also written with music in mind, with rapid swings in emotion a perfect vehicle for a musical composition.

If every film maker made a film based word for word on a book or story then every film would be a week long. The fact is a writer has to include a mountain of description to make a story worthwhile, while an animation need not bother as it visualises the story for you. For me it is much easier to interpret and create something from a story which has description allowing me to visualise the plot, than it is to create something based off 3 lines that contain no description whatsoever and rely on myself being able to create all of the visualistion and ideas myself.

Two better solutions have already been made here- don't force animators to stick word for word to the story, but let them interpret the story however they want (personally I thought this was the case all along, and if it wasn't it certainly should be). If they want they can animate just a short section of it, or change whole sections so long as it is still loosely based on the original. This would free writers up to actually write something of some worth for this competition.

Alternatively writers need to be able to contribute their ideas to the animators once they have been chosen, essentially describing to them everything that the short sentence limit has forced us to excise. Pointless when we could just write it in the first place, but at least it would allow writers to get more involved and feel like a worthy part of the team.

I recognise that you are an animator yourself Tom, and probably favour animation over writing as after all that is what this site is founded on. I also realise that I have no idea how hard it is to create something in flash, and that overly complicated stories can be impossible to create in flash in such a tight time limit, but I feel that writers need to be allowed their own creative freedom if this is going to work.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 03:11 AM Reply

Pictures have been updated. Thanks for the heads up.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

LeafLock
LeafLock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 05:29 AM Reply

What's the rough ETA on the redesign?

MattyT
MattyT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 06:48 AM Reply

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Sentio brought up. What's the point of even having writers contribute
if you're just going to shit on them with a 3 sentence restriction. You can't convey any worthwhile story in that space. I thought the dev teams where meant to be the vessel that flows on the creative path of the story written by the writers.

I mean, I understand the animations have to stay around the one minute mark, but stories can be edited down to keep the vital parts of the story. You know, like they do with every single book to film adaption ever? Writers on Newgrounds don't get as much attention as everyone else so to find this post right as I'm about to post my submission rather insulting.

What happened baby? I thought there was gonna be change?

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 07:07 AM Reply

Hey Tom,

Speaking of awesome things that were missed, I made a shape movie

I also made this thing

• UMoN-Ducks
    UMoN-Ducks by ForNoReason

Click to view.

Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Everyone

I apologies in advanced for both of them XD

Also I think the 3-4 sentence for the story idea is good. Makes it easier for the team to put in what they want and also gives them more free room for the 48 hour deadline. Not saying that these submitted stories aren't good. Just a lot might have to be taken out of some of them for them to be usable. OH WELL things we learn that can be taken on to the next one!

II II lI

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 07:16 AM Reply

Can I suggest that instead of having the writers submit their stories again that the teams are aloud to take the main idea or theme of the story and just change it to their liking? For example, if someone really liked the idea that somebody wrote, but didn't want to animate the way that they wrote it they could just take it in a new direction.

I think it would be perfectly fine like that and have the same effect of summing a story up in three sentences.

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 08:27 AM Reply

please add this

we are reaching the culmination of history, i am going to send everyone a personalised personal message directly addressing the targets needs and concerns. regarding the possible shift into hyperspace or beyond

Drake5017
Drake5017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 11:32 AM Reply

Upgraded, and.........upgraded. I think its sufficiently more badass now.

Would you could you eat dolphin from a can? I would not could not eat dolphin from a can. Not from a can, not in my tea, NOW CHICKEN OF THE SEA JUST LET ME BE!

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 1/26/11 02:51 AM, Sentio wrote: Lots of stuff.

I was about to go off on one about animators not being able to make a Peter Jackson length movie in the time they have, but as I read on, what you've written makes a lot of sense (particularly when it comes to transposing books to films).

I think what Tom's worried about is that animators will come along and take a quick glance over walls of text and just think, "Why bother, I'm never going to get all of that done in the time I have?", without actually reading through and picking out the important parts and using the animation itself to explain the rest of the story.

Maybe the best compromise would be to have the writers who want their work put to animation in cases like this write a summary of the whole story in a short paragraph before they go into the full thing, as they envisage it?

That way the animators can take a look over the simple plot line without having to spend time reading the whole thing and then if they think it's something they can do or are interested in, they can read on and find out more about what the writer has in mind. Kinda like the blurbs on the back of DVD cases and books, where they give a brief description of everything (though in this case, you'd tell everything from start to finish rather than leaving the reader/viewer on a cliff hanger as they do with those things).

Hope what I'm trying to get at makes sense, I'm no writer or animator - but I think that would help things move more smoothly for all involved.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 1/25/11 11:01 PM, AudioVision wrote:
The more I think about it, the more it seems like every story should be summed up in 1-3 broad sentences, leaving the teams to flesh out the details as much as they want from there.
Tom I think what you actually wanted is for someone to pitch an idea for a movie, not "write a story". I think that's what messed everybody up.

Yeah.... That pretty much sums it up in hindsight. It really took reading through the stories to realize that it just wasn't going to work out well this weekend. I feel bad changing it on people but I just gotta follow my gut on this one... We have other ideas that would involve longer stories and bigger animation projects that don't take place in just 48 hours, so hopefully we'll still give the writers a better chance to flesh things out in the future.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 02:19 PM Reply

Hey Tom, what do you think about my story?

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 02:21 PM Reply

Also RE: what Sentio and Liljim were just saying - if you want to go with a longer story, it WOULD be good to include a 1-3 sentence synopsis that sums it all up. The team could animate based on the synopsis if they don't feel comfortable with the full details, but maybe they would end getting everything in there.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 04:14 PM Reply

Hey Tom, what do you think about Firewolf's story?

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 1/26/11 02:51 AM, Sentio wrote: stuff

Considering that there is a time limit, people are posting movies that would take weeks to animate. It is quite asinine to think that some of these stories can be animated in the short time that is provided. Another thing is, do you expect an animator to limit their creativity while animating to just animate a story a writer would like animated? One thing when animating is if you are not enjoying what you are making, chances are you are going to give up.

While i understand your worries, a few sentences would be better and allow the animators to work with the piece more. The writer is still technically coming up with the idea, but i do agree that it could hinder the writer. Seeing as it must be hard to fit dialog into a few sentences. Though, not every animator is going to want to animate two people having a full conversation with barely animation.

In my opinion, i would rather animate scenes with less dialog rather than scenes with more dialog.

BBS Signature
RageWild
RageWild
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 04:53 PM Reply

Well, the 1-3 sentence rule might be nice n good.
But I think that only 3 little sentences you could write in 5 minutes aren worth the fame and the price money you could get, if you get in the top 3.

And also the whole idea about that the animators-team has to make a movie based on someone else's story ain't that great, if the animators have a lot of "creative space" in this matter.

Well, as always, sorry for some bad english. ^^

sdfho
sdfho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 05:37 PM Reply

WHOA, THE WINNER OF CASTLE CRASHERS TOURNIMENT GETS AN GOLDEN PLATED XBOX!!!!! that would be so cool, must have cost alot of money, But you need an xbox in the first place to enter huh,

Yep...

BBS Signature
CalvinGodly
CalvinGodly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 1/25/11 01:29 PM, Zerok wrote:
At 1/25/11 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: "Wade and Tom are both pooping in the same toilet, but Tom's poop lands on top of Wade's poop and that pisses Wade off so he goes on a total acid trip. And Pico is there too."
Give this man a Pulitzer.

D

Here is the original story!

"Tom Fulp and Wade Fulp are both takin a shit in the same toilet cause moneys tight amrite? Toms shit and Wades shit fall out at the same time and, by chance, both fall on the floor. Wade just goes APESHIT. He can't believe that his FUCKIN BROTHER had the BALLS to take a shit on his shit. WAde starts runnin around and fuckin up the whole goddamn office in a MOTHAFUCKIN ACID TRIP. (his ass hanging out the whole time.)

Oh, and there's some Pico in it too"

You guys can thank Pjorg.

BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 1/25/11 03:49 PM, Drake wrote: That example story is messed up. Sounds like something Catoblepas would animate.

I'm sure that's already done at this point.

Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
comicretard
comicretard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 26th, 2011 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 1/25/11 01:24 PM, Dapper wrote: But what about Pico 2 :(

For even asking about it, it's going to be delayed another year.

Click the image below to check out my webcomic, OVERKILL! - Best Threads Ever!
David Brown//ComicRetard

BBS Signature
JazLyte
JazLyte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Why yes I'd much prefer vague premises.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 02:41 AM Reply

At 1/26/11 04:22 PM, Zachary wrote:
In my opinion, i would rather animate scenes with less dialog rather than scenes with more dialog.

I guess what it comes down to is that both writers and animators want to have the same creative freedom, and only one of the two can really get it. Certainly I don't feel I deserve credit for a three line story, and perhaps an animator doesn't feel they deserve credit for animating something that they have no freedom to change, or more to the point wouldn't want to. I can see that perspective, but if this is going to be a collab involving writers then you have to let them write.

At 1/26/11 02:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also RE: what Sentio and Liljim were just saying - if you want to go with a longer story, it WOULD be good to include a 1-3 sentence synopsis that sums it all up. The team could animate based on the synopsis if they don't feel comfortable with the full details, but maybe they would end getting everything in there.

That seems fair enough, and I have since submitted a three sentence synopsis of the story to go along with the longer version. I can understand why an animator would like a short version to clarify exactly what the story is about, but I would hope that they would take into account at least some of the content from the longer versions- like I said before, that is the creative contribution of the writer and if the prize money and credit is to be shared then it should at least be considered. It's a two way street and writers deserve to have their ideas properly considered just as much as the rest of the team.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Magyar
Magyar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 04:12 AM Reply

so is it happening this weekend or not?

SugarTheDrummer
SugarTheDrummer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 06:36 AM Reply

almost for the flash games I play it or maybe...

Nicknclank
Nicknclank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Filmmaker
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 08:17 AM Reply

Actually, think we could do BOTH type of writing in the story submissions. Sure, we could do the 1-3 thing and let the animators figure out what to do, but what if people tried to do a comedy flash? Here's an exemple:

A guy named Frank is in the kitchen and then, an other guy called Billy comes. Billy starts giving some clues to Frank so Frank can remember it's Billy's birthday. Finally, Frank goes outside and yeels to Billy to come see his present, only to be face-to-face with a dragon that's eat him.

See what I mean? If people actually made some punchlines for their flash, how is the animators suppose to know about it?

baugusbryson
baugusbryson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 1/27/11 08:17 AM, Nicknclank wrote: Actually, think we could do BOTH type of writing in the story submissions. Sure, we could do the 1-3 thing and let the animators figure out what to do, but what if people tried to do a comedy flash? Here's an exemple:

A guy named Frank is in the kitchen and then, an other guy called Billy comes. Billy starts giving some clues to Frank so Frank can remember it's Billy's birthday. Finally, Frank goes outside and yeels to Billy to come see his present, only to be face-to-face with a dragon that's eat him.

See what I mean? If people actually made some punchlines for their flash, how is the animators suppose to know about it?

I'm not entirely sure what point you were making with that example, but that was only three sentences and had the perfect amount of information to base a flash off of. It had a beginning, middle, and end (aka. "punchline") :/

BBS Signature
Smorsh
Smorsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to A Buckshot of News Jan. 27th, 2011 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 1/27/11 06:45 PM, psychicpebble wrote: Am I a bad person for reading the title as "A Cumshot of News"?

Yes.

Real artists draw their own user picture and signature. I am not a real artist.
Free sexay prons!
Sig credit to Ninjar.

BBS Signature