Respond to this Topic
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:29:48 Reply

At 1/25/11 03:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Two brothers, one cup? What?

Oh god why would you say that.

|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:30:01 Reply

At 1/25/11 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've been reading through the story entries and I'm feeling... distressed. I'm not sure if teams will really get amped to make animations from a majority of them. The more I think about it, the more it seems like every story should be summed up in 1-3 broad sentences, leaving the teams to flesh out the details as much as they want from there. Otherwise, the stories just feel a bit overwhelming and sometimes too creatively restrictive. THOUGHTS?

I think the writer should post a paragraph or so of the basics in the story, and then from there, collaborate with the artists for the rest of the project. It would get the writer more involved this way.

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:36:05 Reply

Tom I will watch those flashes later, but i updated my user pic and whatnot kay? hope were best buds now.

Peony
Peony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:46:49 Reply

I had to go to the hospital for this thread, you SOB, hit me in the damn shoulder!

I would punch him in the face.

Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:49:18 Reply

That example story is messed up. Sounds like something Catoblepas would animate.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Xenogeist
Xenogeist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 15:50:52 Reply

It all sounds awesome to me :)

MrScriblam
MrScriblam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 16:19:34 Reply

im ok with the 3 sentence rule because my story was already short/flawless

FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 16:51:47 Reply

Can we still submit a story, cause I just thought of a good one not that long ago.

BBS Signature
redminus
redminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Animator
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:00:50 Reply

At 1/25/11 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:THOUGHTS? Should we start over with the stories, implementing a 1-3 sentence rule? If you are planning to submit a story this week, consider something in this range.

Do you think it would work just as well to relax the restrictions on how closely the teams have to stick to the more complicated story ideas? Maybe if the other people in the collabs were free to bend, change, or add to some of what's written (within reason) a lot of people might have a better time tackling some of it.

Also WTF liljim's icon??

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:02:27 Reply

At 1/25/11 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: implementing a 1-3 sentence rule? If you are planning to submit a story this week, consider something in this range.

That would be much better for the teams. And I might actually make a story now.

For example, one of the current story submissions could be summed up as:

"Wade and Tom are both pooping in the same toilet, but Tom's poop lands on top of Wade's poop and that pisses Wade off so he goes on a total acid trip. And Pico is there too."

Amazing story :3

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:04:02 Reply

Im ok with the 3 sentence sum-up. There's no way most of those can be animated within 2 days, with people you've probably never worked with before....

None

Hacsev
Hacsev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Programmer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:10:35 Reply

I'm looking forward to see the results of the jam. Also, I need to get up my lazy ass and start making a new profile pic with right size for the redesign.

$$$ | Sig by TheDingo | Awesome Art | Strawberry Dodge

BBS Signature
Eiomaru
Eiomaru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Filmmaker
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:12:13 Reply

Likewise, as an animator I want to be able to enjoy the content I'd be animating too. Sure it doesn't have to be my preferred genre, but I don't want to have to animate a story about a dick launching a giant shit bomb into a pussy with teeth you know?

.........Wait a minute... that scares me because that could be 1/3 of a potential story for kids to write now.... FUCK.....

~Chase

FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:12:19 Reply

I just submitted my story, and to be honest, the only reason why I came up with the idea is because I was thinking about the Battle of Gettysburg from the civil war.

BBS Signature
Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:12:53 Reply

can't wait till the first movie jam!

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:49:08 Reply

At 1/25/11 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've been reading through the story entries and I'm feeling... distressed. I'm not sure if teams will really get amped to make animations from a majority of them. The more I think about it, the more it seems like every story should be summed up in 1-3 broad sentences, leaving the teams to flesh out the details as much as they want from there. Otherwise, the stories just feel a bit overwhelming and sometimes too creatively restrictive. THOUGHTS? Should we start over with the stories, implementing a 1-3 sentence rule? If you are planning to submit a story this week, consider something in this range.

Holy shit.

Well I just submitted a little script I wrote last year for Luis. Hope it fits. I thought it would be funny if it was made a short movie :P

BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:51:17 Reply

I've organized 24 Hour Playwriting Contests and similar events before. It's best when the writer is ONLY allowed to write dialogue, then everyone else involved gets a bit more creative freedom.

BBS Signature
Pikanjo
Pikanjo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 17:59:31 Reply

"Wade and Tom are both pooping in the same toilet, but Tom's poop lands on top of Wade's poop and that pisses Wade off so he goes on a total acid trip. And Pico is there too."

I'd be pretty pissed if I was assigned that story to animate.

BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:02:27 Reply

At 1/25/11 05:51 PM, BigRed wrote: I've organized 24 Hour Playwriting Contests and similar events before. It's best when the writer is ONLY allowed to write dialogue, then everyone else involved gets a bit more creative freedom.

As well, definitely limit the amount of text. For the plays most people can put on a 10 page script in 24 hours. For animations, maybe one page max? Or maybe give it a word count.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:03:54 Reply

And yeah, my script is a little more than a few sentences long, but it should be about a minute of animation.

Pjorg
Pjorg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:09:24 Reply

Here is the full story, which I posted on the official thread originally. People seems to be enjoying it, so thank you for your support!

HOLLEEEE SHIT do I have the story fer you, Newgrounds. This shits gonna be so fuckin off the goddamn wall, yessiree BOB, you fucks better hold on to yer dicks when you here this one, mmm-hmm.

MMMMMMkay here it is:

Tom Fulp and Wade Fulp are both takin a shit in the same toilet cause moneys tight amrite? Toms shit and Wades shit fall out at the same time and, by chance, both fall on the floor. Wade just goes APESHIT. He can't believe that his FUCKIN BROTHER had the BALLS to take a shit on his shit. WAde starts runnin around and fuckin up the whole goddamn office in a MOTHAFUCKIN ACID TRIP. (his ass hanging out the whole time.)

Oh, and there's some Pico in it too.

BBS Signature
BurntFoxProductions
BurntFoxProductions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:27:49 Reply

why cant we have animated images anymore... :(

JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:53:42 Reply

For example, one of the current story submissions could be summed up as:

You totally ran out of ideas after the 2nd sentence.

DeviantArtDude
DeviantArtDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:57:11 Reply

OMG, Look how many Buckshots of those flash submissions on the January Movie Jam on Newgrounds. :O

DeviantArtDude - A big fan of DeviantArt who was addicted to DeviantArt.

BBS Signature
Leboyo56
Leboyo56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 18:58:56 Reply

On Friday we had a live broadcast where we combed through pretty much every submission from the previous week. If you missed out, here are some highlights:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 9422

I got Impractical Jokes out of judgment. Cool. Also, do you HAVE to adjust your image size? I'm too lazy.

Johnkirk
Johnkirk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 19:17:35 Reply

So are all the previous stories before this announcement null and void? Mine was a bit longer than 3 sentences, but it still allowed for a fair amount of artistic freedom as it was mostly speech with a basic setting.

But I do agree that most of the stories would be useless for an animator to make and I would redo it if it was deemed necessary. My only fear is that with one sentence, what is the point really of having a writer? Instead of creating a story, 1-3 sentences is more like of a prompt than a story at the control of the author.

Cigarettebreath
Cigarettebreath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 19:20:01 Reply

dear fulp,
so how about the day before submissions are due you can write a message to all the writers confusing the shit out of them for all the stories they wrote. it is true that most of the stories, mine included or not, are shit. but sorta thought the point was that quality did not matter. what it is that does matter? nothing does matter is what it is that matters. in fact, do six hundred words show that much more of a pictor than a couple of sentances. in a way yes i guess so but no because i could say purple monkey dishwasher which seems pretty pacific but ask your friend to draw a purple monkey dishwasher and then ask your neighbor to draw a purple monkey dishwasher and see how different the two drawings look. but if the limit is the sky what does it matter how shat and long the stories are what is funny is how they will be animated and turned to turned into a one minute video. i wouldnt worry about it if you got the animators ready to go, just do it, because if you're gonna change the deadline dont, just do let it go as scheduled. cause it seems like you asking peoples to rewrite or redue and it was starting to get a little confusing( the story post) but not enough people are gonna look before the deadline is up, which will probably lead to further confusingness. who cares. movies are gooooood.. cartoons are fun. let us go to space and visit the space station. i have read through most of the stories and most of them are distressing due to quality not length. and i would red them again but i am tired now. I WOULD LIKE A COOIKE. but besides that don't worry, just make movies for my puppy corn.
thank you,
much

cigarettes kill, so let's all die.

JellyDraft
JellyDraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 20:56:58 Reply

Tom, I honestly think that this site, is going downhill and filling up with spam, the flash portal isn't like it used to be. People now rely on cheesy jokes, and aful animation, like the animation "Suicidal bird"

WOW I BLAME THE GOVERNMENT SO FUNNY ROFFLOLOLOXDOMGLOLXDLOL I THINK I PEED MYSELF!

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 22:34:13 Reply

The icon mods are to blame for not having the redesign yet, they are slow and incompetent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

AudioVision
AudioVision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to A Buckshot of News 2011-01-25 23:01:50 Reply

:The more I think about it, the more it seems like every story should be summed up in 1-3 broad sentences, leaving the teams to flesh out the details as much as they want from there.

Tom I think what you actually wanted is for someone to pitch an idea for a movie, not "write a story". I think that's what messed everybody up.

BBS Signature