Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 2/1/11 11:15 PM, Mrockz wrote: sorry for the double post

dont worry, the texture is the only important thing to upload, the render inst necessary :)

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:19 PM Reply

cool idea... iv seen a handfull of people doing it so far... im surpised that there isnt more people intrested... cant wait to see the finished results :D

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 7th, 2011 @ 10:16 PM Reply

At 2/2/11 02:19 PM, LegolaSS wrote: cool idea... iv seen a handfull of people doing it so far... im surpised that there isnt more people intrested... cant wait to see the finished results :D

yah i think the same :s

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 09:08 AM Reply

Things I still need to do:
- Join this contest.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 09:48 AM Reply

I would join this, but my computer crashes instantly when I try to launch Blender :(

BBS Signature
thatrubberducky26
thatrubberducky26
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 05:37 PM Reply

i dont know how to use blender any help how to open the model of the character

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 05:41 PM Reply

thats weird, blender is not a heavy software :s

anyway you only have to draw a textue, the use of blender if you want to check how your texture is going on :)

I will upload a updated MAP to make easier the drawing

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 05:41 PM, Osuka wrote: thats weird, blender is not a heavy software :s

Well, my computer can't handle it ...

anyway you only have to draw a textue, the use of blender if you want to check how your texture is going on

Yeah, I know, but I'd like to test the texture frequently to check if everything works. Aw well, I suppose I can manage without ...

BBS Signature
maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 12:28 AM Reply

I just know there is going to be an explosion of submissions come March. Mark my.. text? Tom mentioning it in the news could make it sooner.

Pretty amped for the animation, fingers crossed =P

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 10:31 AM Reply

At 2/11/11 07:05 PM, Havegum wrote:
At 2/11/11 05:41 PM, Osuka wrote: thats weird, blender is not a heavy software :s
Well, my computer can't handle it ...

anyway you only have to draw a textue, the use of blender if you want to check how your texture is going on
Yeah, I know, but I'd like to test the texture frequently to check if everything works. Aw well, I suppose I can manage without ...

mmm let me see if there are other softwares, the other option is that you can uplaod the texture and i can make a render of the figure

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 12th, 2011 @ 10:33 AM Reply

Now im a litle busy with a animation, i will show the renders of the first textures received, tomorrow i will show the other :)

(talk) Figure Painting Contest

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 14th, 2011 @ 09:23 PM Reply

More Updates :)

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 11:28 AM Reply

These are looking good, however the NG elite is looking really dark for such a strongly lit scene. The original texture is fine though, so maybe take a relook at the shader. Brighten it up a bit.

I want to take a shot at this, just for the fun of it. I've got a lot of work on though, but this could be intesting to do if I get the opportunity.

Not to be a d*ck but their should be fewer restrictions on the character making map creation more approachable. Things like 1024 x 1024 px limit. Which is below the norm, 2024 + would have allowed for a lot more detailing to be seen within the final renders. Whereas now as soon as the camera gets close to a character you'll see pixelation or blurring. The character is crazily dense and polygon based with over 9000 Poly's! Take it into account that a games character from Gears of War is about 5000 this is insanely high. Why not use a subpatch object? It could have been 30 Polygons with just as much curvature with a smoother appearance. Or are you giving just us the polygon version?

What really surprises me is that you have given us a preposed character. To see everything it really should have been left in the T-Pose as the arm is going through the body. Also because it's tri's poly painting programs depend more so on quads, and is more user friendly on them. Tri's create distortion, so anyone who uses anything other than a 2d painting package can't use things like Zbrush, Mudbox or 3D Coat to paint directly ontop of the UV.

A great contest but just a few things to maybe remember for next time when getting someone to texture a model. Minor hiccups but I think this is a good bit of fun!

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 2/15/11 11:28 AM, PeterSatera wrote: These are looking good, however the NG elite is looking really dark for such a strongly lit scene. The original texture is fine though, so maybe take a relook at the shader. Brighten it up a bit.

I want to take a shot at this, just for the fun of it. I've got a lot of work on though, but this could be intesting to do if I get the opportunity.

Not to be a d*ck but their should be fewer restrictions on the character making map creation more approachable. Things like 1024 x 1024 px limit. Which is below the norm, 2024 + would have allowed for a lot more detailing to be seen within the final renders. Whereas now as soon as the camera gets close to a character you'll see pixelation or blurring.

What really surprises me is that you have given us a preposed character. To see everything it really should have been left in the T-Pose as the arm is going through the body. Also because it's tri's poly painting programs depend more so on quads, and is more user friendly on them. Tri's create distortion, so anyone who uses anything other than a 2d painting package can't use things like Zbrush, Mudbox or 3D Coat to paint directly ontop of the UV.

A great contest but just a few things to maybe remember for next time when getting someone to texture a model. Minor hiccups but I think this is a good bit of fun!

Originally was to paint a character in a stardard pose like a collection figure, but then later Tom told me that they can appear in a aniamted short. The UVW map is made in T pose and then i bend it to make the pose that will appear in the contest. Anyways the hands arent important because of the simplicity of the character

I understand your points, normally a big part of NG dont know how to use Mudbox or Zbrush, so I made it to be painted in photoshop or other 2D software

Anyway if this contest goes sucesfull, i will clean those details for the next year :)

:The character is crazily dense and polygon based with over 9000 Poly's! Take it into account that a games character from Gears of War is about 5000 this is insanely high. Why not use a subpatch object? It could have been 30 Polygons with just as much curvature with a smoother appearance. Or are you giving just us the polygon version?

I just gave the character with the turbosmooth. The original have 282 polys

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 16th, 2011 @ 08:39 AM Reply

Thats great! And yeah 282 is more like it!

I have a feeling turbosmooth is like a Max tool which subdivides an object?

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 17th, 2011 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 2/16/11 08:39 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Thats great! And yeah 282 is more like it!

I have a feeling turbosmooth is like a Max tool which subdivides an object?

yeah, subdivide and smooth the mesh :)

------------

And here comes another UPDATE

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 19th, 2011 @ 10:11 PM Reply

UPDATE

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 20th, 2011 @ 12:27 AM Reply

At 2/19/11 10:11 PM, Osuka wrote: UPDATE

Yeah..... dat's me.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Idunno if anybody's tried using Blender to pre-render their textures. It took me a while to figure out, but this tutorial got me there in the end.

Here's a summary:
1 - Install Blender 2.56 beta
2 - Delete the example cube(press A to make sure it is selected in an orange outline, and press Delete)
3 - File > Import > 3D Studio (.3ds), then import the provided .3DS file.
4 - Press "Home" to fullscreen the model.
5 - You can scale the model by pressing S, and move the model by pressing G.
6 - In the top right corner there should be a panel which says "View - Search - All Scenes". Under that there's a list ("Scene, RenderLayers, World ...") Click on "Sphere01" (or whatever object has a triangle next to it).
7 - Press "Tab" to enter Edit mode (exiting out of object mode).
8 - Make sure the whole object is selected by pressing A. The mesh should be highlighted in orange.

*gasps for air*

9 - In the toolbar, there should be a dropdown box which says "Default".Click the icon to the left of Default, and select UV Editing.
10 - If you have the mesh selected, you should see a familar shape in the left window.
11 - At the bottom of the screen (next to "View, Select, Image, UVs ..."), click "New", then just click "Ok" in the following pop-up.
12 - On the bottom toolbar, click "Image > Open", then open the map you want to test out.
13 - You can zoom in by scrolling to see if your texture is fine. If it's not, press A to select the flattened mesh, then scale and move by pressing S and G respectively. Hopefully you don't need to.

Nearly there.

14 - Return to the previous view by going to the previous dropdown box (which says "UV editting") and select Default.
15 - Finally, to see your texture on the model, click on the sphere to the right of "Edit Mode" on the toolbar, and select "Textured".
16 - Hooray! It's rendered in Blender. You can look around the model by pressing "Tab" to leave Edit Mode, and return to Object Mode. The keys in your NumPad can be used to rotate your bloke about.

That's about it. There's stuff about materials as well if you want to finish off the linked tutorial, but this summary is for viewing the model in Blender, and just printscreening some views.

If I've been vague anywhere, or I've missed something out, I'll try to put you to rights (even though I'm hopelessly shit).

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 23rd, 2011 @ 08:49 PM Reply

Wow there are some really cool renders already.

ToaS this tutorial should be added to art101's profile. It's so good, even I understand how to do that now.

BBS Signature
datamouth
datamouth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 09:23 PM Reply

can someone re-upload the .obj files? i use Modo and only .obj works. i tried the 2 megaupload and rapidshare links but they are both dead. thanx!!!!

datamouth ~ digesting everything.
my soundcloud,
email me!

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 09:32 PM Reply

I will re-Uplaod the obj files

And Thanks for the Tutorial TurkeyOnAStick

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 09:41 PM Reply

Now i added a LOW POLY Version Here are the link where you can downlaod them

MegaUpload
Hotfile
Rapidshare

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
datamouth
datamouth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 2/24/11 09:41 PM, Osuka wrote: Now i added a LOW POLY Version Here are the link where you can downlaod them

MegaUpload
Hotfile
Rapidshare

thanx!!

my soundcloud,
email me!

BBS Signature
datamouth
datamouth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 24th, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

sorry to keep botherin'

i downloaded the re-upped 3d models (thanx btw!)
but i notice the geometry is different that the supplied texture sample
the texture sample has more of a polygon (square) geometry while the re-upped .obj files have a different triangular geometry

i'm using Modo and i was trying to create the texture uv map for the model but the geomtry doesnt match and its very complex to do

is it possible to get the model from the original texture map file?

again sorry for the nagging but i'm inda perfectionist and i wanna make sure what i make is perfect
cuz if its not then ill hate myself lol

very excited bout this contest btw

attached you can see the Modo geomtery and the original texture map supplied

~ dm

my soundcloud,
email me!

BBS Signature
datamouth
datamouth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 25th, 2011 @ 12:10 AM Reply

hey!!
i cleaned up the model .obj file to work with Modo if anyone out there is using Modo.

here is the link

hotfile

my soundcloud,
email me!

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 25th, 2011 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 2/24/11 11:28 PM, datamouth wrote: sorry to keep botherin'

i downloaded the re-upped 3d models (thanx btw!)
but i notice the geometry is different that the supplied texture sample
the texture sample has more of a polygon (square) geometry while the re-upped .obj files have a different triangular geometry

Mmm the character is made In square, but exporting in OBJ convert it into triangles
anyways should keep the UVW Mapping Information so you only need to add the texture and this will read all the mapping position

Thanks for sharing the Modo version :)
i never used that software but sure i will give it a try

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to (talk) Figure Painting Contest Feb. 25th, 2011 @ 11:07 PM Reply

Thanks a lot!!!
I love this banner :3