Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-15 21:37:14 (edited 2015-04-15 21:38:02) Reply

At 4/15/15 09:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Another cool album cover. I actually haven't fully heard a HoF album from beginning to end since Death is This Communion.

Really? You definitely need to listen to De Vermis Mysteriis all the way through. Definitely one of the best albums of 2012.

Maybe I'll give Torche another chance sometime. I checked them out a few years ago and wasn't really feeling it, but I dunno which albums(s) the songs were from.

Try giving their self-titled album and maybe Harmonicraft a listen.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-17 13:06:21 (edited 2015-04-17 13:06:53) Reply

Anyone know where I can find the first 3 Inches Of Blood album?

Also I'm starting to get more into Slough Feg. Listening to Traveller right now and listened to Down Among The Deadmen a bit ago.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-17 14:38:35 Reply

At 4/17/15 01:06 PM, Viper wrote: Also I'm starting to get more into Slough Feg. listened to Down Among The Deadmen

ahem...

MANAMANAAAAAA!

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-17 23:59:32 Reply

I dunno if anyone else here listens to em. But I'm really excited about this
New Uncle Acid this year!

At 4/17/15 01:06 PM, Viper wrote: Also I'm starting to get more into Slough Feg. Listening to Traveller right now and listened to Down Among The Deadmen a bit ago.

@BrenTheMan
>.>

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-18 21:53:57 Reply

Nirvana Tribute Album Featuring Boris, Torche, Kylesa, Thou Streaming in Full

I thought that this would be of some interest to some of you guys. You can also listen to the whole thing in streaming :)

Metal Hell

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-18 22:09:40 Reply

At 4/18/15 09:53 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Nirvana Tribute Album Featuring Boris, Torche, Kylesa, Thou Streaming in Full

I thought that this would be of some interest to some of you guys. You can also listen to the whole thing in streaming :)

LOVE the Torche version of In Bloom. Man, I remember when that came out. That was the first song on the tape on that side and it was a GREAT opening tune.

The whole wall at Target (I think) where I got it was that blue green water color because it was so popular. My mother said I was wasting my money. WRONG. I still love that album to this day.

I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
Need help? Have questions? Please read the FAQ!

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-18 22:36:42 Reply

At 4/18/15 09:53 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Nirvana Tribute Album Featuring Boris, Torche, Kylesa, Thou Streaming in Full

Hmm interesting.
I didn't like the SLTS cover tbh.
Torche's cover was good as was Kylesa and Cave In.
But I'm sorry. I just couldn't get into Boris' cover. Them singing in English just always sounds slightly awkward to me....no idea why. I DID like the music though.
The Polly and Territorial Pissing covers were good.
Oh my god....the Circa Survive's vocals sound so fucking whiny....
The Lounge Act cover was an interesting take on the song.
Kinda middle of the road about Stay Away.
On A Plain and Something In The Way were both really good.
Endless, Nameless sounded A LOT like the original. In a good way. I really liked it. And I really like the original. Though I was wondering why they chose the same band to do that AND Even In His Youth. Speaking of. I DID NOT like the last cover. The vocals didn't sound good. And the music sounded incredibly muddy to me. I feel that if they picked a different band for it and then tacked on a cover of Old Age and maybe Sappy or Aneurysm.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-24 02:41:01 Reply

I wanted to ask you guys what you thought was the best drone/noise/ambient metal albums out there and why, but also what you thought were the best Earth albums.

I personally love Boris's work on Absolutego, Präparat, Flood, and their work that combines drone, noise, sludge, doom, etc., like on tracks like Just Abandoned Myself, Farewell and Blackout on the Pink album, or 鐘 (The Bell Tower of a Sign) on Heavy Rocks.

I also love their collab with Sunn O))) entitled Altar. Sunn O)))'s work on Black One, Monolith & Dimensions is also amazing.

I only have one album by Earth, which is HEX; or Printing in the Infernal Method, and I think it's great. I want to listen to more of their stuff and wanted to know what you guys thought of their work.

I also love bands like Corrupted which is very sludgy, or Fell Voices, that manages to recreate drone-ish atmospheres in their highly atmospheric, distorted and gritty black metal.

Bands like Leeches Of Lore and Agalloch who aren't renowned for their drone have also produced very interesting pieces in the genre. I recommend LoL's Giant Sloth album without hesitation, and while Agalloch doesn't have any straight out drone music, their Grey EP is pretty good, and I've always felt that Ashes Against The Grain is noise/drone oriented in many ways.

So, drone recommendations and favorite Earth album everybody?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-24 04:26:46 Reply

At 4/24/15 02:41 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I wanted to ask you guys what you thought was the best drone/noise/ambient metal albums out there and why, but also what you thought were the best Earth albums.

I personally love Boris

I don't really listen to their drony stuff much, or drone in general even though I have Flood and Absolutego.

Farewell

Farewell is one of my favorite Boris tracks. I listen to it all the time still. I guess it's one of my favorite songs in general.

I also love their collab with Sunn O))) entitled Altar.

I still listen to Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep) a lot. I actually put that and Farewell on my phone (and Pink, Korosu, Rattlesnake and 1970) which I only managed to fit 196 songs on. Seems like a lot less than it sounds.

Been a long time, but I definitely remember enjoying chilling/smoking/dozing off to Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull a few times. That's the only full album of theirs I have. I can't recall if I actually heard all of Pentastar from beginning to end, but I know I used to have a couple tracks saved, which I liked.

Drone stuff is the area I know least about. Thou is supposed to be drone/sludge and they're good. Saw them live. Fucking Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean is pretty sick. I thiiiink I listened to Thaumogenesis by Nadja years ago. I know I have it anyway, but I was just grabbing so much music then. I also still have Migration by Buried at Sea, but I just can't remember this stuff. Jesu is sometimes drone, right? I like Stanlow. I never checked either out, but some people such as Nev would mention Khanate and Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine.

Some of this sort of stuff kinda makes me want to point out funeral doom like Wormphlegm, Monolithe and Esoteric but I dunno.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-04-24 13:13:44 Reply

At 4/24/15 02:41 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I wanted to ask you guys what you thought was the best drone/noise/ambient metal albums out there and why, but also what you thought were the best Earth albums.

Oh god. Um....I'd say that Gravetemple are pretty good. Specifically The Holy Down or Le Vampire de Paris.
As for Earth, I'd say my favorites are Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1 and 2, Pentastar, Earth 2, Hex, and Primitive & Deadly.

I personally love Boris's work on Absolutego, Präparat, Flood, and their work that combines drone, noise, sludge, doom, etc., like on tracks like Just Abandoned Myself, Farewell and Blackout on the Pink album, or 鐘 (The Bell Tower of a Sign) on Heavy Rocks.

I also love their collab with Sunn O))) entitled Altar. Sunn O)))'s work on Black One, Monolith & Dimensions is also amazing.

I love Boris. Amplifier Worship, Flood, Absolutego, Pink, both Heavy Rocks, and Smile are some of my favorite albums. They just have a way of throwing so many different things all together and make it all work together very well. I really wish I could see them live at least once.

Other than what I've mentioned.
Try out the bands:
Sunn ■]]]
Pentemple
Burial Chamber Trio
Los
Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine
VOID
and Wolvserpent

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature