• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-18 20:17:17 Reply

At 1/14/15 03:18 AM, twistex wrote: King Crimson
Ulver

We're friends now.

At 1/12/15 09:24 PM, Twone wrote: Anyone here know of any good post black metal bands out there? (Besides Deafheaven, Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Lantlos)

Sólstafir and maybe it doesn't 100% count, but Agalloch.

Also, I noticed that MA labels Solefald as post-black metal, which I really don't know why. But they are one of my favorite bands ever and have possibly the most consistently perfect discography I know of starting with their second album.

At 1/15/15 02:17 PM, Viper wrote:
At 1/12/15 11:46 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, man, I gotta try to get that. I haven't gotten a new album in like 2 or 3 years.
Same here. As for that second thing. Not me I even have the new Lord Dying and Torche albums pre-ordered.

I wonder if my one reliable source is still as good as it was. Metal has always been by far the easiest music for me to grab, especially since this decade came around.
What source would that be? I could use new places to get me some music.

I'll PM you.

I've been saying how I've not been checking out new stuff pretty much at all for the last couple of years but I did kinda start checking out a bit of punk music recently. I'm liking the kind of '80s American hardcore punk.
Check out Void and The Faith. And also Minor Threat.

Thanks, will try to remember. Never heard of those first two before. It seems the only times now that I listen to music are when I'm washing dishes or cooking, especially if I'm sitting over a cutting board. I used to always have music on while playing videogames, but it's been all podcasts and occasional standup comedy for a while.

At 1/15/15 09:47 PM, Twone wrote:
At 1/15/15 02:17 PM, Viper wrote: And also Minor Threat.
Dude, that Slayer cover of "Guilty of being white" ....

I actually heard that on Pandora last time I was chopping vegetables. I think I only heard like 1 or 2 Minor Threat songs so far. If only I could check what I've thumbed up on the channel (which I'm supposed to be able to do).

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 36
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-20 01:12:16 Reply

At 1/18/15 08:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'll PM you.

Thanks for the PM.

Thanks, will try to remember. Never heard of those first two before.

No problem. They're both good bands. Could have bought that split of Void and The Faith.

It seems the only times now that I listen to music are when I'm washing dishes or cooking, especially if I'm sitting over a cutting board. I used to always have music on while playing videogames, but it's been all podcasts and occasional standup comedy for a while.

I haven't listened to much of my music in awhile due to my computer being all crappy right now. So it's only music on my phone and whatever cd I want to listen to. And sometimes a random youtube video.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
SubliminalVirus
SubliminalVirus
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-21 23:54:16 Reply

this seems like the best place to ask. Sorry if I'm wrong... just curious
The other day I was talking with someone about bands, the topic of "female fronted" bands came up. He pretty much went on a rant on how much he hates it when bands focus attention on the female in the band. He referenced to In This Moment, for instance their promo pics often only show Maria Brink, even the latest music videos tend to feature her, only showing near subliminal clips of the rest of the band, even in their live shows the band tends to stay in her shadow. This kind of makes me wonder how they feel about it...

Personally I don't give a shit what bands release other than music. It's not like sexy pictures are the only reason they can sell albums and gain fans. to me it seems like a bonus. I guess the only thing that bugs me is when the rest of the band is almost forgotten...

I was wondering if anyone here even notices and if they have a strong opinion...if any... I never even thought about it before that exchange... probably never going to think about it again in a few minutes...

this post wouldn't be complete without a nice picture...

Metal Hell

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-22 08:58:08 Reply

At 1/21/15 11:54 PM, SubliminalVirus wrote: this seems like the best place to ask. Sorry if I'm wrong... just curious

Yeah, this is something that's been done with a lot of bands, especially when they rely on the novelty of having a woman as the lead singer. It's not only bands like that, though. Sigh has had extra attention focused on Mikannibal wearing fishnets and shit, but they're way more than that and she wasn't even in the band until later on. Other bands like Krypteria seem to exist pretty much just because they have a pretty face in their videos and promo pics (Victoriam Speramus and Scream are pretty damn catchy, though). Sometimes if they aren't using sex appeal, bands will milk the fact that they have a woman who does harsh vocals. That said, some bands do have women that do harsh vocals well and they make good music despite what many may assume.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-24 04:11:54 (edited 2015-01-24 04:17:17) Reply

At 1/21/15 11:54 PM, SubliminalVirus wrote: this seems like the best place to ask. Sorry if I'm wrong... just curious
The other day I was talking with someone about bands, the topic of "female fronted" bands came up. He pretty much went on a rant on how much he hates it when bands focus attention on the female in the band. He referenced to In This Moment, for instance their promo pics often only show Maria Brink, even the latest music videos tend to feature her, only showing near subliminal clips of the rest of the band, even in their live shows the band tends to stay in her shadow. This kind of makes me wonder how they feel about it...

It's not really much of an issue within metal music. Mallcore crap like In This Moment, which I came to refer to as titscore, doesn't qualify as metal, not in their sound, and especially not in their attitude, aesthetics and pop music marketing and general vibe.

Personally I don't give a shit what bands release other than music. It's not like sexy pictures are the only reason they can sell albums and gain fans. to me it seems like a bonus. I guess the only thing that bugs me is when the rest of the band is almost forgotten...

Oh yes it can! Well, not single-handedly, but it sure helps a lot. You have to understand that bands that usually focus on their image so much, are the "heavy" version of pop artists and bands. They NEED the looks to sell, because this is their main (often only) quality/interest. These bands usually bet a lot on the strong and badass female lead to sell records. It attracts poser teenager kids who find them hot, and it gives the teenage girls icons, role-models.... girls who are hot, but strong and does what male musicians and vocalists can also do... It seems to work better when the female musician is the vocalist. And it's especially efficient when she can growl (like them boys, yaknow). It's crappy marketing. But again, it doesn't usually affect real metal. When it does, it usually stays within gothic/symphonic metal and melodic death metal realms. Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Lullacry, Within Temptation and Epica are all bands with female vocalists. And just to make myself clear here, I'm not saying these bands are bad. Some of them have awesome material.

Even if that gimmick is spreading, there are still awesome female vocalists. And well, sure it's a gimmick... but not all bands that have female vocalists do it because of the gimmick. Some of them are true to what they artistically want to accomplish and aren't trying to make a quick buck on a dumb trend like shitty bands like In This Moment and Amaranthe are.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-24 04:21:17 Reply

Oh, and while we're on the subject of females in metal music. I was looking for some women in corpsepaint pictures (musicians or non-musicians).

But I have to specify that I'm not looking, at least not specifically, for the heavily eroticized pictures that some photographs like to do and that usually involve totally naked women with only their faces in corpsepaint. I'd like to find some material that reflects more the black metal aesthetics, or just basically... typical black metal pictures, but with females in them instead of men. If any of you guys know where to find some, please let me know!