Be a Supporter!

Metal Hell

  • 1,692,599 Views
  • 78,847 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 01:50 PM, Bahamut wrote: I'm sure there's some more surprises.

Yeah more than likely.

I've only listened to the certain records from the 90s. There is stuff I should look into and see if I can pick things up but I've learned that trying too hard to hunt down new good releases can cause a burnout. That was one lesson learned when I was doing reviews. While others can keep it up, it just doesn't do it for me. I will appreciate certain records at a later point as opposed to right away.

Ah okay.
I still have a hard time tracking down some albums....hell it seems as though no store within 50 miles of here sells a copy of Master Of Reality on any format.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:29 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 11:03 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/13/13 11:19 AM, Zodir wrote: Voivod's Target Earth- Holy shit. This album is probably their best since Nothingface. And I do not say that lightly as I loved Outer Limits and Katorz.
It's an enjoyable record for sure and I don't see myself as a huge fan of the classic works so that's saying something. I need to find some more 2013 releases as I've only heard that, Mysterium and Straight Out of Hell so far. All are great releases for sure, though but I feel Manilla Road played a little too safe with their latest album apart from the last few tracks.

Awww. How can you not love Classic Voivod? I kid. I can't really think of any other albums coming out this year (or at least in the near future) that I am really looking forward to this year. Hmmmm. Any you guys are looking forward too?


At 3/13/13 09:09 PM, Zodir wrote: K, my Top 25 is finally done and up! Thoughts welcome!
To think two of my favourite releases from that year aren't even on your list. My two personal choices are Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Pinata and Threshold's March of Progress. Both albums I didn't get to listen to until the end of 2012, though so it seems like the better stuff from these years just creep up either when the year is about to close or the year after. Maybe 2012 wasn't such a slow year for metal as I originally thought it to be.

I didn't really like Diablo Swing Orchestra all that much. Call me crazy. I didn't get a chance to pick up Threshold's new album. Maybe I should track it down.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 08:56 AM, Viper50 wrote: Yeah....looks like I still have quite a bit of stuff to listen to then xD
Also I'm trying to convince my sister to take me to go see them in May when they're going to be in Chicago with Pallbearer. But she doesn't know if she can get the day off and I can't go alone because I highly doubt my car can make it up there in one piece....they're going to be playing two nights in a row. The first night they're going to be playing their "All-Time Classics" and on the second night when they're playing with Pallbearer they're playing Flood in it's entirety....

Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!

Also, I will most likely be seing If These Trees Could Talk live in April. I know it's not a metal show, but it's worth mentioning. First chance I get to see these guys live, I don't want to miss it!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

Anyone here hear about the super group Ensemble Pearl? It has Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Grave Temple), Bill Herzog (The Sweet Hereafter), and Atsuo & Michio Kurihara (Boris) in it.
They're releasing an album apparently next Monday.

At 3/15/13 05:09 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!

I'll try not to! Also the place thats selling the tickets has a thing for getting a pass for both days for only like $25.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 3/15/13 05:56 PM, Viper50 wrote: Anyone here hear about the super group Ensemble Pearl? It has Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Grave Temple), Bill Herzog (The Sweet Hereafter), and Atsuo & Michio Kurihara (Boris) in it.
They're releasing an album apparently next Monday.

Just reading that gave me a shiver. No jokes. I have to hear this!

At 3/15/13 05:09 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!
I'll try not to! Also the place thats selling the tickets has a thing for getting a pass for both days for only like $25.

Well, that's a great fucking deal! Don't miss on it!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 11:16 AM Reply

At 3/16/13 02:50 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Just reading that gave me a shiver. No jokes. I have to hear this!

I felt the same way when I first saw that! xD
Apparently there is a song online at the moment.

Well, that's a great fucking deal! Don't miss on it!

I know right!?!?!? I seriously hope I can go see that.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 12:26 AM Reply

I was just doing shit with one song on repeat. And I think it played like 15 times. It was an old favorite.

Slough Feg - Sky Chariots

I never get sick of it.

MANAMANAAAH!


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 3/15/13 12:39 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/14/13 06:41 PM, Coop wrote: On a lighter note, Iron Maiden has a beer! It will be called "Trooper" and will be available soon.
Woo yet another cool thing I can't legally have for awhile.
according to the law here in the US....

Haha youngsters. I've been legally allowed to drink for some years now (I live in the US too). I do plan on trying Trooper ale. Sounds good.

Not much metal news, since most of what I've been listening to lately has been dark ambient, but on Infected Nuclear Bioromance there is little left to do except for vocals on half the songs.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 12:31 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 11:01 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Haha youngsters. I've been legally allowed to drink for some years now (I live in the US too). I do plan on trying Trooper ale. Sounds good.

Well today is my birthday. Though I'm only turning 20 :/
So I suppose its only one more year. Its better than having to wait like...3 or something.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
mothballs
mothballs
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 03:07 PM Reply

I'm probably a little late on this, but anyone here pick up Suffocation's new album? I was one of the first to pre-order it. I absolutely love it. So much better than the previous one. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 03:07 PM, mothballs wrote: I'm probably a little late on this, but anyone here pick up Suffocation's new album? I was one of the first to pre-order it. I absolutely love it. So much better than the previous one. Anyone have thoughts on it?

I wasn't a big fan, but then again, I haven't really liked anything since Pierced From Within.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 11:15 PM Reply

If Acid Witch werent so brickwalled theyd be really really cool

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 3/15/13 02:20 PM, Viper50 wrote: I still have a hard time tracking down some albums....hell it seems as though no store within 50 miles of here sells a copy of Master Of Reality on any format.

I'm guessing I have advised Amazon to you before and that's not a possibility. If you can't find a good store within 50 miles then you're really stuck on that one.

At 3/15/13 02:29 PM, Zodir wrote: Awww. How can you not love Classic Voivod? I kid. I can't really think of any other albums coming out this year (or at least in the near future) that I am really looking forward to this year. Hmmmm. Any you guys are looking forward too?

June has new Megadeth and Black Sabbath, although whether I want to hear them or not isn't certain. I fear of what bullshit Mustaine will have put on Super Collider while Black Sabbath's new album, anything can happen.

I didn't really like Diablo Swing Orchestra all that much. Call me crazy. I didn't get a chance to pick up Threshold's new album. Maybe I should track it down.

I personally like Diablo Swing Orchestra a lot. I'm always looking for an entirely fresh take on metal that sounds really good and DSO accomplishes that. Out of 500 or so metal albums that I have, nothing sounds anything alike to them. As for Threshold, I don't know how much you've listened to them but I really like the new record. I need to catch up on everything else they've done but if I can really dig their latest release then I should be able to enjoy their back catalogue.

At 3/17/13 12:26 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I was just doing shit with one song on repeat. And I think it played like 15 times. It was an old favorite.

Slough Feg - Sky Chariots

I never get sick of it.

MANAMANAAAH!

I listen to that song, then the rest of the album follows right after. No exceptions!

At 3/17/13 12:31 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/17/13 11:01 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Haha youngsters. I've been legally allowed to drink for some years now (I live in the US too). I do plan on trying Trooper ale. Sounds good.
Well today is my birthday. Though I'm only turning 20 :/

Ah, you turned 20 yesterday? Happy birthday man!


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 01:13 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 11:57 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'm guessing I have advised Amazon to you before and that's not a possibility. If you can't find a good store within 50 miles then you're really stuck on that one.

Yeah its not at the moment...so I guess I'll have to either wait til it is. Or wait til I can find a copy around here.

Ah, you turned 20 yesterday? Happy birthday man!

Thanks.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 03:54 PM Reply

Bah! An Opeth/Katatonia show is playing near my home after I get on summer break and it's a 21 and over show. Curses!


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 12:31 PM, Viper50 wrote: Well today is my birthday. Though I'm only turning 20 :/
So I suppose its only one more year. Its better than having to wait like...3 or something.

Legal drinking age at 21 is fucking ridiculous. Just thinking about it... I've been drinking since I was 16 and except for a few hangovers and some intense parties, nothing fuckin' horrible happenned to me. Other than that, I can't help but feel that it's totally ridiculous that the legal drinking age is 21 where you live. 21... that's when I started university... and remember that I live in Quebec, so university isn't right after high school. 21 years old... I was drinking and having sex. Looking back at 2010... I just can't see myself as a minor. I was already a man...

And really? Who does wait to be 21 to start drinking?

Bongripper - Worship
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 05:49 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: And really? Who does wait to be 21 to start drinking?

This guy.
Hell I don't even smoke. And it's probably going to stay that way.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 05:55 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/18/13 05:49 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: And really? Who does wait to be 21 to start drinking?
This guy.
Hell I don't even smoke. And it's probably going to stay that way.

Same here. Though that is more that I have an incredibly severe food allergy and any impairment to my judgment can be guaranteed fatal. Also, my body is allergic to most common drugs like weed and tobacco.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 07:30 PM, Zodir wrote: Same here. Though that is more that I have an incredibly severe food allergy and any impairment to my judgment can be guaranteed fatal. Also, my body is allergic to most common drugs like weed and tobacco.

For me it's because I choose to not smoke.
That and my gf is allergic to tobacco and weed and shit like that so I wouldn't be able to smoke it even if I wanted to.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 07:55 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 07:49 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/18/13 07:30 PM, Zodir wrote: Same here. Though that is more that I have an incredibly severe food allergy and any impairment to my judgment can be guaranteed fatal. Also, my body is allergic to most common drugs like weed and tobacco.
For me it's because I choose to not smoke.
That and my gf is allergic to tobacco and weed and shit like that so I wouldn't be able to smoke it even if I wanted to.

I mean I doubt I would smoke even if I wasn't allergic, my uncle had a heart attack due to smoking related complications. So I doubt I would ever do it even if I had the choice.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 07:55 PM, Zodir wrote: I mean I doubt I would smoke even if I wasn't allergic, my uncle had a heart attack due to smoking related complications. So I doubt I would ever do it even if I had the choice.

My uncle ended up losing one of his lungs because he smoked so much. And his other one turned black.
And then he died not too long afterwards ._.
So thats one of the reasons I don't smoke.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 05:55 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/18/13 05:49 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: And really? Who does wait to be 21 to start drinking?
This guy.
Hell I don't even smoke. And it's probably going to stay that way.

Well, drinking isn't like smoking... Smoking is inhaling chemicals and shit on purpose, while drinking doesn't imply getting wasted. There is very good wine, very good beer, porto, gin, rum, etc. If you know how to drink, those can be very enjoyable and not harmful for your body.

mothballs
mothballs
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 3/17/13 07:04 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 3/17/13 03:07 PM, mothballs wrote: I'm probably a little late on this, but anyone here pick up Suffocation's new album? I was one of the first to pre-order it. I absolutely love it. So much better than the previous one. Anyone have thoughts on it?
I wasn't a big fan, but then again, I haven't really liked anything since Pierced From Within.

Fair enough, I mean it's fair to say that their first 2 albums were their best by far. I liked their self-titled album though. Blood Oath was too slow. I really like this one and how they completely changed it for the better.

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 09:20 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Well, drinking isn't like smoking... Smoking is inhaling chemicals and shit on purpose, while drinking doesn't imply getting wasted. There is very good wine, very good beer, porto, gin, rum, etc. If you know how to drink, those can be very enjoyable and not harmful for your body.

Yeah you have a point....
But I'm still not going to drink til I'm "legally" able to do so ._.
Though my dad is seriously against drinking and stuff like....hes even gone so far as to say that if he catches either me, my sister, or my brother drinking he'd consider kicking whoever it was out. Which means I should seriously consider moving out at some point in the near future xD


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 10:16 PM Reply

I know this is off topic but in terms of drinking and smoking, I do drink often but only on weekends. If it's ever during the weekday then it's because either I'm out at a pub somewhere or it's for a celebration. I'll admit that often I can drink a lot and should try and pace myself better. As a citizen who lives in a country where the legal age for drinking is 18, I've always been more comfortable with 18 as a time to legally drink. Although, this country has considered raising it to 21 and it would be a tad inconvenient for me as a fair number of my friends are 17/18 would be underage if the age limit was 18 here but if they do change it, that's how it'll be but there's bigger shit to worry about right now.

As for smoking, I know several friends that do smoke and I'll admit that being around with them has got me to try it out a bit. I only had my first smoke as early as last September and I can be hit and miss with it. I could smoke well but then I just choke and cough at one puff. I have recently tried to smoke a bit more but then it hit me. If there's anything I don't want to do in my life, it's following the footsteps of my cowardly father. There was a time when he was smoking and tried to hide it from everyone but it wasn't much of a secret in the end. It would be great if I don't repeat his mistakes so thankfully I've never reached addiction stage for smoking and since I said to some last Saturday that I would give it up, I better keep my word.

Keep in mind that I have not smoked all that often since September so I have not become an addict to it. There'll be no hassle with giving it up entirely right away.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 11:57 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/15/13 02:20 PM, Viper50 wrote: I still have a hard time tracking down some albums....hell it seems as though no store within 50 miles of here sells a copy of Master Of Reality on any format.
I'm guessing I have advised Amazon to you before and that's not a possibility. If you can't find a good store within 50 miles then you're really stuck on that one.

There was an ambient album that Bruce introduced me to by this artist called Letum, and I looked far and wide for the album both in local stores, on youtube, for torrent, or anywhere really. Yup, Amazon was the only place that had it, and I found myself paying for music (haven't done that in a looooong while.)


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Back on topic.

Karma To Burn are releasing a new EP
They released a teaser thing for it ._.

Also High Priest Of Saturn are releasing their debut album in 5 days.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 11:57 AM Reply

So, while not metal, Steven Wilson's new album is kinda completely awesome. I know there are a few fans of Porcupine Tree around here you should definitely check this out. While much more 70s style prog than most of his stuff, it definitely has moments reminiscent of PT.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 02:31 AM Reply

I'm slowly getting into the Melvins albums, trying to figure what album I should be getting next. I suggest that any of you guys who never listened to them gives them a try. After all, these guys did heavily influence Stoner Metal, Sludge and Grunge.

Melvins - Pig House (Alternate Version)
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 06:50 PM Reply

You can vaporize, you know.

At 3/20/13 02:31 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I'm slowly getting into the Melvins albums, trying to figure what album I should be getting next.

My favorites are Stoner Witch, Stag, and Bootlicker.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature