Be a Supporter!

Metal Hell

  • 1,719,066 Views
  • 78,934 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-12 21:31:50 Reply

At 3/12/13 03:35 PM, Bahamut wrote: That awkward moment when you get followed by Five Finger Death Punch on Twitter...

Hahaha! Loser :P

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 08:53:07 Reply

I got a copy of Win Us Over by ASG on clear yellow vinyl as an early birthday present yesterday.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 09:36:10 Reply

At 3/12/13 04:12 PM, Viper50 wrote: Also if you follow the instructions on this site you can hear a new song from Ghost's new album.

It's feeling a lot different to the debut album which is a good thing but perhaps this is the kind of record that I'll need to spin many times to absorb it all. I enjoyed the first album a lot so I hope this one will be good as well. My sister will be picking it up sometime next month.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 10:34:37 Reply

Oh man, we've lost Clive Burr.

RIP

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 10:46:44 Reply

At 3/13/13 09:36 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/12/13 04:12 PM, Viper50 wrote: Also if you follow the instructions on this site you can hear a new song from Ghost's new album.
It's feeling a lot different to the debut album which is a good thing but perhaps this is the kind of record that I'll need to spin many times to absorb it all. I enjoyed the first album a lot so I hope this one will be good as well. My sister will be picking it up sometime next month.

So far I'm liking how this album sounds.
Granted I still prefer Opus Eponymous more than this one, but it looks like its going to be another good album from them.
So I'm probably going to see if I can get a copy when its released (which might be later here....which bugs me).


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 11:19:45 Reply

Hey guys! It's been a long time. College has been absolutely killer lately, so I haven't had as much time for getting on here and posting stuff. Just letting you know that my Top 25 Albums of 2012 is complete, I just need to post it later today. Some new albums I've gotten:

Voivod's Target Earth- Holy shit. This album is probably their best since Nothingface. And I do not say that lightly as I loved Outer Limits and Katorz.

Audrey Horne's Youngblood- This is a solid, old school, bluesy metal album. Lots of fun.

I should be around a little more often now that things have slowed down (at least until finals in a month and a half).


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 12:56:22 Reply

At 3/13/13 10:34 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh man, we've lost Clive Burr.

RIP

Well this just ruined my day....


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 13:44:57 Reply

At 3/10/13 12:59 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Going back into death metal again! Recommand me good stuff! (possibly avoiding bands you know I already like :P)

Disincarnate
Beyond Creation
Diluviian
Illogicist
Desecravity
Necrosanct
Brutality
Pestilence
Psycroptic
!T.O.O.H.!
Demigod
Dismember
Thormenthor
R.U. Dead?
Transmetal
Myrkskog


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 21:09:52 Reply

K, my Top 25 is finally done and up! Thoughts welcome!


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-13 22:54:08 Reply

At 3/13/13 09:09 PM, Zodir wrote: K, my Top 25 is finally done and up! Thoughts welcome!

Really liked the list you compiled there.
Reminded me that I still have some albums to check out from last year.

specifically Kamelot, Kreator, Vintersorg, and Sigh. I bought Apocryphon and De Vermis Mysteriis and loved them.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 00:06:55 Reply

At 3/13/13 10:34 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh man, we've lost Clive Burr.

RIP

Yeah... I've read that. RIP.

At 3/13/13 10:46 AM, Viper50 wrote: So far I'm liking how this album sounds.
Granted I still prefer Opus Eponymous more than this one, but it looks like its going to be another good album from them.

I've got Opus Eponymous in my albums to listen to. Cool little reminder to give it a listen!

At 3/13/13 01:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Disincarnate
Beyond Creation
Diluviian
Illogicist
Desecravity
Necrosanct
Brutality
Pestilence
Psycroptic
!T.O.O.H.!
Demigod
Dismember
Thormenthor
R.U. Dead?
Transmetal
Myrkskog

I already know Beyond Recognition (they are from Quebec!) and also Pestilence. I'll give a listen to some of those if I get the chance to.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 00:40:46 Reply

I've read just now that Boris have released an album, something like 8 days ago :) Apparently they have moved away from the dreampop of New Album and went for something between noise rock, drone, post-rock and some other stuff. I've read just one review for the album. Since it's kind of new, I figured there wouldn't be much reviews for it yet... but whatever.

The album is named Präparat, and I'm planning to give it a listen :)

jack-be-nimble-69
jack-be-nimble-69
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 05:17:21 Reply

Sup gangstas!

Been a while since posting, busy trying to be an adult, it sucks by the way, for the most part

Below is a link to some demo recordings from local doom metal band (heavy My dying bride influence) Burning Solitude. I use to play with them but technically left a month before these were done, but did it anyway. I play rhythm/solos, the other guitarist does rhythm and all harmonies/layers, or whatever the fuck you call them

You can check them out on facebook, hopefully they'll get back into it this year with a new lineup

https://soundcloud.com/richard-tchernegovski/sets/burning-so litude-ep-2011

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 10:11:38 Reply

At 3/14/13 12:40 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've read just now that Boris have released an album, something like 8 days ago :) Apparently they have moved away from the dreampop of New Album and went for something between noise rock, drone, post-rock and some other stuff. I've read just one review for the album. Since it's kind of new, I figured there wouldn't be much reviews for it yet... but whatever.

Seriously how many albums are they going to release? xD
I still have like 5 or so albums by them that I still need to listen to!


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 11:03:11 Reply

At 3/13/13 10:46 AM, Viper50 wrote: Granted I still prefer Opus Eponymous more than this one, but it looks like its going to be another good album from them.
So I'm probably going to see if I can get a copy when its released (which might be later here....which bugs me).

I'll reserve my whole judgment for when I hear the album in full. Although I do rate the debut album 5 stars (as well as best of 2010), I still have to see what they do with the second release.

At 3/13/13 11:19 AM, Zodir wrote: Voivod's Target Earth- Holy shit. This album is probably their best since Nothingface. And I do not say that lightly as I loved Outer Limits and Katorz.

It's an enjoyable record for sure and I don't see myself as a huge fan of the classic works so that's saying something. I need to find some more 2013 releases as I've only heard that, Mysterium and Straight Out of Hell so far. All are great releases for sure, though but I feel Manilla Road played a little too safe with their latest album apart from the last few tracks.

At 3/13/13 09:09 PM, Zodir wrote: K, my Top 25 is finally done and up! Thoughts welcome!

To think two of my favourite releases from that year aren't even on your list. My two personal choices are Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Pinata and Threshold's March of Progress. Both albums I didn't get to listen to until the end of 2012, though so it seems like the better stuff from these years just creep up either when the year is about to close or the year after. Maybe 2012 wasn't such a slow year for metal as I originally thought it to be.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 13:30:05 Reply

At 3/14/13 11:03 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'll reserve my whole judgment for when I hear the album in full. Although I do rate the debut album 5 stars (as well as best of 2010), I still have to see what they do with the second release.

So far it seems as though the songs on there are probably going to be roughly similar to Secular Haze.
Which all in all I'm okay with.

I need to find some more 2013 releases as I've only heard that, Mysterium and Straight Out of Hell so far.

Huh. Would've thought you'd listen to the new Darkthrone album...
Also if you're into "Stoner Metal" Spiritual Beggars are releasing a new album next month.
Heres a song off of the aforementioned.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 13:40:10 Reply

Hellhammer finished the drum work on the new Arcturus album, apparently. I hope this album is good.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 59
Writer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-14 18:41:02 Reply

At 3/13/13 10:34 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh man, we've lost Clive Burr.

RIP

A most devastating loss to the Maiden Family. Hallowed Be Thy Name was one of the greatest demonstrations of his drumming talent.

On a lighter note, Iron Maiden has a beer! It will be called "Trooper" and will be available soon.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 00:39:19 Reply

At 3/14/13 06:41 PM, Coop wrote: On a lighter note, Iron Maiden has a beer! It will be called "Trooper" and will be available soon.

Woo yet another cool thing I can't legally have for awhile.

according to the law here in the US....

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 01:33:26 Reply

At 3/14/13 10:11 AM, Viper50 wrote: Seriously how many albums are they going to release? xD
I still have like 5 or so albums by them that I still need to listen to!

Also, Boris EPs and Splits are not albums you want to miss on, either. There is way too much stuff to listen to in these guys discography.

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 08:56:56 Reply

At 3/15/13 01:33 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 3/14/13 10:11 AM, Viper50 wrote: Seriously how many albums are they going to release? xD
I still have like 5 or so albums by them that I still need to listen to!
Also, Boris EPs and Splits are not albums you want to miss on, either. There is way too much stuff to listen to in these guys discography.

Yeah....looks like I still have quite a bit of stuff to listen to then xD
Also I'm trying to convince my sister to take me to go see them in May when they're going to be in Chicago with Pallbearer. But she doesn't know if she can get the day off and I can't go alone because I highly doubt my car can make it up there in one piece....they're going to be playing two nights in a row. The first night they're going to be playing their "All-Time Classics" and on the second night when they're playing with Pallbearer they're playing Flood in it's entirety....


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 13:50:55 Reply

At 3/14/13 01:30 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/14/13 11:03 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'll reserve my whole judgment for when I hear the album in full. Although I do rate the debut album 5 stars (as well as best of 2010), I still have to see what they do with the second release.
So far it seems as though the songs on there are probably going to be roughly similar to Secular Haze.
Which all in all I'm okay with.

I'm sure there's some more surprises.

I need to find some more 2013 releases as I've only heard that, Mysterium and Straight Out of Hell so far.
Huh. Would've thought you'd listen to the new Darkthrone album...

I've only listened to the certain records from the 90s. There is stuff I should look into and see if I can pick things up but I've learned that trying too hard to hunt down new good releases can cause a burnout. That was one lesson learned when I was doing reviews. While others can keep it up, it just doesn't do it for me. I will appreciate certain records at a later point as opposed to right away.

At 3/14/13 06:41 PM, Coop wrote:
At 3/13/13 10:34 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh man, we've lost Clive Burr.

RIP
A most devastating loss to the Maiden Family. Hallowed Be Thy Name was one of the greatest demonstrations of his drumming talent.

Indeed. I look back at the first three albums and it re-assured to me how much Clive Burr added to the music. I generally don't have a preference between him and Nicko since they both have done right when they were/are in the band. To think now one former member of Iron Maiden has left us all. :(


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 14:20:46 Reply

At 3/15/13 01:50 PM, Bahamut wrote: I'm sure there's some more surprises.

Yeah more than likely.

I've only listened to the certain records from the 90s. There is stuff I should look into and see if I can pick things up but I've learned that trying too hard to hunt down new good releases can cause a burnout. That was one lesson learned when I was doing reviews. While others can keep it up, it just doesn't do it for me. I will appreciate certain records at a later point as opposed to right away.

Ah okay.
I still have a hard time tracking down some albums....hell it seems as though no store within 50 miles of here sells a copy of Master Of Reality on any format.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 14:29:27 Reply

At 3/14/13 11:03 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/13/13 11:19 AM, Zodir wrote: Voivod's Target Earth- Holy shit. This album is probably their best since Nothingface. And I do not say that lightly as I loved Outer Limits and Katorz.
It's an enjoyable record for sure and I don't see myself as a huge fan of the classic works so that's saying something. I need to find some more 2013 releases as I've only heard that, Mysterium and Straight Out of Hell so far. All are great releases for sure, though but I feel Manilla Road played a little too safe with their latest album apart from the last few tracks.

Awww. How can you not love Classic Voivod? I kid. I can't really think of any other albums coming out this year (or at least in the near future) that I am really looking forward to this year. Hmmmm. Any you guys are looking forward too?


At 3/13/13 09:09 PM, Zodir wrote: K, my Top 25 is finally done and up! Thoughts welcome!
To think two of my favourite releases from that year aren't even on your list. My two personal choices are Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Pinata and Threshold's March of Progress. Both albums I didn't get to listen to until the end of 2012, though so it seems like the better stuff from these years just creep up either when the year is about to close or the year after. Maybe 2012 wasn't such a slow year for metal as I originally thought it to be.

I didn't really like Diablo Swing Orchestra all that much. Call me crazy. I didn't get a chance to pick up Threshold's new album. Maybe I should track it down.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 17:09:41 Reply

At 3/15/13 08:56 AM, Viper50 wrote: Yeah....looks like I still have quite a bit of stuff to listen to then xD
Also I'm trying to convince my sister to take me to go see them in May when they're going to be in Chicago with Pallbearer. But she doesn't know if she can get the day off and I can't go alone because I highly doubt my car can make it up there in one piece....they're going to be playing two nights in a row. The first night they're going to be playing their "All-Time Classics" and on the second night when they're playing with Pallbearer they're playing Flood in it's entirety....

Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!

Also, I will most likely be seing If These Trees Could Talk live in April. I know it's not a metal show, but it's worth mentioning. First chance I get to see these guys live, I don't want to miss it!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-15 17:56:34 Reply

Anyone here hear about the super group Ensemble Pearl? It has Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Grave Temple), Bill Herzog (The Sweet Hereafter), and Atsuo & Michio Kurihara (Boris) in it.
They're releasing an album apparently next Monday.

At 3/15/13 05:09 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!

I'll try not to! Also the place thats selling the tickets has a thing for getting a pass for both days for only like $25.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-16 02:50:05 Reply

At 3/15/13 05:56 PM, Viper50 wrote: Anyone here hear about the super group Ensemble Pearl? It has Stephen O'Malley (Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Grave Temple), Bill Herzog (The Sweet Hereafter), and Atsuo & Michio Kurihara (Boris) in it.
They're releasing an album apparently next Monday.

Just reading that gave me a shiver. No jokes. I have to hear this!

At 3/15/13 05:09 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Do not miss this opportuinity, son! I'd go to both shows if I could!
I'll try not to! Also the place thats selling the tickets has a thing for getting a pass for both days for only like $25.

Well, that's a great fucking deal! Don't miss on it!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-16 11:16:42 Reply

At 3/16/13 02:50 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Just reading that gave me a shiver. No jokes. I have to hear this!

I felt the same way when I first saw that! xD
Apparently there is a song online at the moment.

Well, that's a great fucking deal! Don't miss on it!

I know right!?!?!? I seriously hope I can go see that.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-17 00:26:17 Reply

I was just doing shit with one song on repeat. And I think it played like 15 times. It was an old favorite.

Slough Feg - Sky Chariots

I never get sick of it.

MANAMANAAAH!


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-03-17 11:01:32 Reply

At 3/15/13 12:39 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 3/14/13 06:41 PM, Coop wrote: On a lighter note, Iron Maiden has a beer! It will be called "Trooper" and will be available soon.
Woo yet another cool thing I can't legally have for awhile.
according to the law here in the US....

Haha youngsters. I've been legally allowed to drink for some years now (I live in the US too). I do plan on trying Trooper ale. Sounds good.

Not much metal news, since most of what I've been listening to lately has been dark ambient, but on Infected Nuclear Bioromance there is little left to do except for vocals on half the songs.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature