00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,057,046 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 18:24:37

At 2/17/20 12:56 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/15/20 07:49 AM, Logans-art wrote: I just joined Newgrounds and this looks like a good club for me. I love black metal, death metal, prog, doom, stoner and some nu-metal.

I actually have a question. I'm looking for more prog metal right now, specifically something that can rival Coheed and Cambria in terms of style. My criteria are that the vocalist doesn't use vibrato constantly, there's no egypt-themed interludes, clean vocals only*, creative instrumentation, they make concept albums, and they at least try for catchy choruses.

I know that really narrows it down but there should still be a ton of artists that fit the criteria. If you know any, I'll be really grateful.

*I can handle growls but it's comparatively really easy to find.
I don't know what to recommand that would be similar to Coheed and Cambria. To me they were always more of a weird prog-rock/post-hardcore band than a metal band, and that's just not a genre that speaks to me all that much. But if you're looking for progressive metal, there's always Symphony X. They had that egyptian kind of feeling on some instance on V - The New Mythology Suite, but it's far less present on The Odyssey or The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Solid albums! Later in their career they released Paradise Lost, which might fit the bill.

You most likely already know about Dream Theater. Otherwise Images and Words is still one of my all time favorit prog albums. The band Fates Warning was always more than solid. Jim Matheos worked on other worthwile projects, namely OSI (which I love) and Arch/Matheos.

If you never listened to Blotted Science, I can't recommand them enough! They're completely instrumental, but they are worth it, trust me! Their 2007 album The Machinations of Dementia is a template of madly well writen tech/progressive metal that's all about structure and that doesn't sacrifice songwriting to favor technical prowess. Ron Jarzombek, their guitarist, is still most likely one of the best guitarists in metal now and of all time, although this guy always disappears for ages after releasing solid albums. Oh! And Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse played with Blotted Science!

Sorry for the late response.

I'm already familiar with Symphony X. They're somewhat grandfathered in for me since I've known about them for so long. They're pretty good, especially later on.

Yep, Dream Theater was a big one for me for a long time. I'm not as sure about their newer stuff unfortunately.

I'll definitely give Fates Warning another shot and check out OSI and Arch/Matheos.

As for Blotted Science, I'm usually not into instrumental stuff at all but I'll give them a try because you make a good case for them. Thanks a lot for all the recs!

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 18:26:11

At 2/23/20 06:24 PM, Logans-art wrote:
At 2/15/20 07:49 AM, Logans-art wrote: I just joined Newgrounds and this looks like a good club for me. I love black metal, death metal, prog, doom, stoner and some nu-metal.

I actually have a question. I'm looking for more prog metal right now, specifically something that can rival Coheed and Cambria in terms of style. My criteria are that the vocalist doesn't use vibrato constantly, there's no egypt-themed interludes, clean vocals only*, creative instrumentation, they make concept albums, and they at least try for catchy choruses.

I know that really narrows it down but there should still be a ton of artists that fit the criteria. If you know any, I'll be really grateful.

I don't know what to recommand that would be similar to Coheed and Cambria. To me they were always more of a weird prog-rock/post-hardcore band than a metal band, and that's just not a genre that speaks to me all that much. But if you're looking for progressive metal, there's always Symphony X. They had that egyptian kind of feeling on some instance on V - The New Mythology Suite, but it's far less present on The Odyssey or The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Solid albums! Later in their career they released Paradise Lost, which might fit the bill.

You most likely already know about Dream Theater. Otherwise Images and Words is still one of my all time favorit prog albums. The band Fates Warning was always more than solid. Jim Matheos worked on other worthwile projects, namely OSI (which I love) and Arch/Matheos.

If you never listened to Blotted Science, I can't recommand them enough! They're completely instrumental, but they are worth it, trust me! Their 2007 album The Machinations of Dementia is a template of madly well writen tech/progressive metal that's all about structure and that doesn't sacrifice songwriting to favor technical prowess. Ron Jarzombek, their guitarist, is still most likely one of the best guitarists in metal now and of all time, although this guy always disappears for ages after releasing solid albums. Oh! And Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse played with Blotted Science!
I'm already familiar with Symphony X. They're somewhat grandfathered in for me since I've known about them for so long. They're pretty good, especially later on.
Yep, Dream Theater was a big one for me for a long time. I'm not as sure about their newer stuff unfortunately.
I'll definitely give Fates Warning another shot and check out OSI and Arch/Matheos.
As for Blotted Science, I'm usually not into instrumental stuff at all but I'll give them a try because you make a good case for them. Thanks a lot for all the recs!

Idk shit about many prog bands, but if you like Tool, check out Lucid Planet or Sublunar

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 18:31:12

At 2/23/20 06:26 PM, StaticSkull2 wrote:

Idk shit about many prog bands, but if you like Tool, check out Lucid Planet or Sublunar

I'm willing to give most bands a shot, thanks man.

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 18:36:23

At 2/23/20 06:31 PM, Logans-art wrote:
At 2/23/20 06:26 PM, StaticSkull2 wrote:

I'm willing to give most bands a shot, thanks man.

no problem

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 21:14:33

At 4/15/04 08:28 PM, Goatchrist wrote: Welcome to the Metal hell :)

If you are into heavy metal, melodic metal or whatever, this is the club for you. Tell us your favourite bands and/ or songs and join the hell :)

My favorite band of course is black Sabbath

Iris queen of the heavens

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-23 22:29:48

At 2/23/20 06:24 PM, Logans-art wrote: Sorry for the late response.

No sweat! If you listen to any of them, let me know what you thought! I tried to give recommandations based on the bands you named and the description you made. If you have any more bands or ideas of things you're actually looking for, don't hesitate to tell us more!

At 2/23/20 09:14 PM, Elhabanero20 wrote: My favorite band of course is black Sabbath

You like any other metal bands?

If you like Black Sabbath you might enjoy bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Om or Candlemass. Do you know any of these?

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-24 18:22:46

At 2/15/20 07:49 AM, Logans-art wrote: I

the closest i can think of is periphery, but they use growls along with clean vocals.

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-25 02:44:54

At 2/23/20 10:29 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/23/20 06:24 PM, Logans-art wrote: Sorry for the late response.
No sweat! If you listen to any of them, let me know what you thought! I tried to give recommandations based on the bands you named and the description you made. If you have any more bands or ideas of things you're actually looking for, don't hesitate to tell us more!

At 2/23/20 09:14 PM, Elhabanero20 wrote: My favorite band of course is black Sabbath
You like any other metal bands?

If you like Black Sabbath you might enjoy bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Om or Candlemass. Do you know any of these?

I'll definite check out electric wizard and. And the rest and the other band that i recommend but im not sure if they still count as metal is tenacious d. Because i have listened too there. Most rescent. Song being wonder boy.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-25 21:35:44

At 2/25/20 02:44 AM, Elhabanero20 wrote: I'll definite check out electric wizard and. And the rest and the other band that i recommend but im not sure if they still count as metal is tenacious d. Because i have listened too there. Most rescent. Song being wonder boy.

Well, Tenacious D is the band of these two actor guys, right? I didn't know they had any material outside of the music they made for their movie, but I guess they do have a few metal tracks, yeah. I doubt they'd even described themselves as a metal band, since they are more of a parody act that focuses on rock music, but they do play a few metal songs, and their most popular tracks are the metal tracks. If you're into the whole fiction band from a movie or a show playing real and original music, you might like Dethklok from Metalocalypse. It was real big while it was being released (between 2006 and 2013).

If you're looking for doom stuff Ă  la Black Sabbath though, I do recommand listening to the bands I recommanded (Electric Wizard, Sleep, Om) and maybe you should try Kyuss and Saint Vitus.

Have a good day!

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-25 22:17:57

At 2/25/20 09:35 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/25/20 02:44 AM, Elhabanero20 wrote: I'll definite check out electric wizard and. And the rest and the other band that i recommend but im not sure if they still count as metal is tenacious d. Because i have listened too there. Most rescent. Song being wonder boy.
Well, Tenacious D is the band of these two actor guys, right? I didn't know they had any material outside of the music they made for their movie, but I guess they do have a few metal tracks, yeah. I doubt they'd even described themselves as a metal band, since they are more of a parody act that focuses on rock music, but they do play a few metal songs, and their most popular tracks are the metal tracks. If you're into the whole fiction band from a movie or a show playing real and original music, you might like Dethklok from Metalocalypse. It was real big while it was being released (between 2006 and 2013).

If you're looking for doom stuff Ă  la Black Sabbath though, I do recommand listening to the bands I recommanded (Electric Wizard, Sleep, Om) and maybe you should try Kyuss and Saint Vitus.

Have a good day!

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-25 22:27:30

At 2/25/20 09:35 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:

Have a good day!

Thanks but i already watched dethklok from the pilot to thr finale it was pretty good. But i still enjoy. Mr.crowley by ozzy osbourne.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-02-27 22:18:18

I'm in an amazing music discovery period right now! I had been trying to catch up with new music for a while, but I eventually started working my way backward into black metal to re-listen to the classics and dig around for a few ones I had not really listened to before. So I enjoyed some of the material of Bathory I had not listened to all that much before. I specifically spent more time on Under the Sign of the Black Mark since I had listened to the s/t and Blood Fire Death a lot before. I started listening to Sarcofago two,

But the genre I'm really having a blast with right now is death metal. It's been my favorite sub-genre for a while now, and after discovering the band Blood Incancation and digging around back to a big influence of theirs named Timeghoul, I popped out my favorit OSDM classics with Gorguts, Possessed, Death and the likes, but I started listening to some more stuff. I had actually never listened to Sepultura all that much, and I finally got around to listening to their first 4 records, but Beneath the Remains is the one that stuck. Oh boy is that a solid fucking death/thrash album! I actually bought a patch of the album cover for my new battle jacket.

I also started listening to a few other OSDM bands, giving a few spins to some of the old Entombed albums and the album The Key by Nocturnus. This last one is a quite fascinating album. If you've never listened to it, I strongly recommand you do. Sci-fi themed OSDM albums are pretty rare, and this one is a very unique beast.

And last but not least, I've been really getting into Pestilence this last week. I love their album Consuming Impulse, of course, but their debut Malleus Maleficarum is quite solid two, and I really really really enjoy their 1991 album Testimony of the Ancients.

Now I have to get into Malevolent Creation's early 90's catalog. And maybe I'll work my way through their 2000's stuff eventually as I go.

Anyone else discovering some new music and having a blast right now?

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-01 21:33:44

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-05 16:49:39

YOU CUM DUST SNORTING SAUSAGES SHIT ON NU METAL ALL THE TIME AND IT'S REPULSIVE REPUGNANT RUBBISH. DO YOU FOOLISH FASCIST FROSTBITTEN FROGS NOT REMEMBER THE GLORY DAYS OF WRESTLING? L-I-M-P BIZKIT HITTING THE LOUD SPEAKERS AND THE DEADMAN ROLLIN HIS ASS DOWN TO THE RING TO BAMBOOZLE TRIPLE H'S ANUS INTO AN EARLY GRAVE.THE SOUND OF POWERMAN 5000, THE DUDLEY BOYS DROPPING A BOMBSHELL AND PUTTING MAE YOUNG THROUGH A TABLE SO HARD SHE FUCKED SEXUAL CHOCOLATE AND SHE GAVE BIRTH TO A FUCKING HAND. THAT'S SOME HECKIN OILY STUFF DOGGY. THIS SHIT HAS ME SO FIRED UP IMA LATHER UP AND GO WRESTLE THE LOCAL PANHANDLERS. WINNER GETS THE LAST SLICE OF PUMPERNICKEL BREAD. SEE YA LATER YOU YELLOW BELLIED YARD ORNAMENTS. GET WRESTLED DOGGY

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-05 16:53:01

I am sick of metal and rock bands promoting satanist shit . Music is not about any religion including that bullshit . Fuck all of you metal bands who stand for satan !! Because of you rock died and metal died . Who the fuck wants to see a negative force live ? . Fuck satan and everything he stands for . I am light , my band will never represent that bullshit . Stupid blind fools , I want my shows full of light and energy and great vibes .

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-06 23:33:19

kek

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-17 03:00:34 (edited 2020-03-17 03:02:24)

@Dyna-Soar @HeavenDuff @smeagol1 @Delirium @Viper Sorry I’ve been bad about keeping in touch. Still think about all you people and how you helped form my taste in music since I was young. New stuff I’m loving right now.

Blindead

Entropia (you’ll like this, Duff)

Callisto

Still mad into Obscure Sphinx. Think they’re almost a favorite now.

At 2/19/20 10:26 AM, StaticSkull2 wrote: Hænesy

First track sounds pretty gr8. I’ll finish this album later.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-03-18 14:10:58

Anyone else here familiar with Igorrr? Been really hooked on Savage Sinusoid for their experimental approaches while mixing in metal. Good time for me to get into them while their new album comes out next week which from the songs released so far is gonna be another eye widening listen.

Would have gone to see them next month but like with all the gigs and any kind of events right now they're all getting postponed due to the coronavirus.

Another band I've recently gotten into. I know this one wasn't that favourable in this thread in the past but I've been caught on by Children of Bodom lately. Well, their first few releases anyway. Only reason why they came into mind was finding their first album for cheap at a record shop by mine

At 2/12/20 10:15 AM, Dyna-Soar wrote: Good to see 'ol BAHAMUT and HEAVENDUFF too :)

Aye, still lurking about mostly and still pop onto NG daily. Although, wouldn't mind posting a little bit more right now in the current situation.

At 2/27/20 10:18 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: So I enjoyed some of the material of Bathory I had not listened to all that much before. I specifically spent more time on Under the Sign of the Black Mark since I had listened to the s/t and Blood Fire Death a lot before

Can't go wrong with a bit of classic Bathory, although saying that I never got around to listening to The Return. Still think to this day Hammerheart is the best of Bathory.

Response to Metal Hell 2020-04-11 15:21:09

New Coroner album comin’.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-04-11 15:56:02

At 4/11/20 03:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: New Coroner album comin’.

coronervirus

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-04-13 09:59:14

I can't wait for the current Coronavirus hysteria to be over, because otherwise, we've all seen our last real shows. The threat of all future shows being virtual is very real.

Just thinking about all this inclines me to start up my NSBM playlist from A to Z. That's just all I want to listen to, especially after a heated exchange with my green card holding subtenant yesterday. Let's start with Absurd.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-05-25 22:54:36

iu_125749_6715108.jpg

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-05-26 00:28:39

I've been going through a lot of demons in my personal life and the person I love the most is, essentially, almost 100% described by the lyrics of Eden by Battle Beast. Nothing can possibly describe what she means to me, what I mean to her, and how recent life events have changed her in a way that has also been making me feel tremendous pain.

Look the song up yourself. I'm in so bad a mood I can't be bothered to give out any freebies. I can't stop listening to it though--it resonates with me that deeply.

This probably isn't the most appropriate venue to release my stressors, but I've done it about 12-13 years ago too. Like back in those days, I'm directing my pain more inwardly than outwardly.

I will probably always be a laughingstock to the majority, but there are a few that sometimes take a moment to pause and privately reach out to me when I'm really hurting, and in a heartfelt way. Those are the people I can never possibly thank enough.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-06-03 17:23:48

i wish this place wasn't so dead

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-06-04 11:22:21

At 6/3/20 05:23 PM, StaticSkull2 wrote: i wish this place wasn't so dead

You'd think with coronavirus around and pretty much everywhere shut down that more people would be posting. Or at least more often. I have the excuse that I still have to work 2 jobs because both are "essential" and have no time for really anything unless it's on a day I have off.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-06-15 15:22:54

I've recently gotten into Gothic Metal listening to Tristania. Vibeke Stene has a great voice.

Response to Metal Hell 2020-06-23 23:42:45

At 6/15/20 03:22 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: I've recently gotten into Gothic Metal listening to Tristania. Vibeke Stene has a great voice.

You ever check out Type O Negative and Paradise Lost? Both are pretty sick GOFF METUHLS bands.

Anyway, sorry about my silence guys, been a hard last few months for me. I was hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital in March on the second week of SaRS-COVID19 due to dealing with heavy heroin withdrawal, after a week I got out, and well, I've been spending a lot of time trying to find a job. In the meantime I started up a new project, been recording a couple of songs, and I hope I get to pull out an album in the following months.

Response to Metal Hell 2020-07-16 15:29:35

At 7/13/20 09:46 PM, Warpathalpha wrote: anyone listen to megadeth? or bolt thrower?

Bolt Thrower is one of the best bands. I'm glad I saw them live in 2006.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Metal Hell 2020-07-28 22:23:20

Wow this thread is still kicking. Barely.. But alive.

RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead

Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2020-07-29 13:28:05

I like blind guardian, luca turilli and rhapsody