Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 09:46:34 Reply

At 2/2/13 03:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst

I just can't do that. I can tell you, though, that Hangman's Hymn and Imaginary Sonicscape are among my favorites.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 14:44:23 Reply

Anyone here listen to Flummox?
They're described as "Technical Doom Metal".

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 18:05:41 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:44 PM, Viper50 wrote: Anyone here listen to Flummox?

I see Progressive Stoner Doom Metal on Metal Archives. I'll have to check them out :)

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 19:06:11 Reply

At 2/4/13 06:05 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I see Progressive Stoner Doom Metal on Metal Archives. I'll have to check them out :)

Ah well you get what I meant haha

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 23:58:43 Reply

Does anyone know of any metal Genres that have fantasy themes?

I can't think of any other than Power Metal.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 00:20:05 Reply

At 2/4/13 11:58 PM, Shade wrote: Does anyone know of any metal Genres that have fantasy themes?

Depends on what you mean about fantasy.

I know some Gothic or Symphonic Metal stuff like Epica, Kamelot, Nightwish and the likes have their fair share of fantasy related lyrics.

Otherwise, black metal and subgenres or crossover of the genre will touch various mythological of fantastic themes. Tolkien's universe has influenced black metal just has much as it has influenced the power metal scene. Galadriel, Balrog, Gorgoroth, Burzum. Are all bm bands with Tolkien influenced themes (Balrog a little less, I have to admit...).

Thrash and Folk is also very strong on fantasy stuff. Blind Guardian, which is somewhere between thrash and power metal is a proof of that. Otherwise, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Equilibrium, Finsterforst, Turisas, Finntroll and the likes are all bands with fantasy related themes.

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 01:37:33 Reply

Anyone here listen to Sky Burial? It's pretty decent Post-Metal.

At 2/4/13 11:58 PM, Shade wrote: Does anyone know of any metal Genres that have fantasy themes?

There are some Epic Doom Metal bands with Fantasy themes.
Doomshine, Candlemass, DoomSword, and stuff like that.

Or regular Heavy/Doom Metal like Cirith Ungol.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 09:29:43 Reply

I'd have an easier time considering which metal genres don't have fantasy themes. :P The least likely I'm going to find it is in death or sludge metal. Although, if someone did find fantasy themes within those subgenres, I'd like to listen for laughs/curiosity.

Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 15:56:42 Reply

At 2/2/13 03:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've been wanting to a review one of Sigh's albums for a while, but still haven't figured which one I should do first. Also, while I'm at it, if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst, what would the list look like ? Thanks :)

Wow. That's a tough question. It really depends on mood for me. If I want their heavier, more metal stuff, I'd probably listen to Scenes from Hell, Hangman's Hymn, or Hail, Horror, Hail. If I want their more out-there stuff, it goes to Imaginary Sonicscapes, Gallows Gallery, or In Somniphobia. I would probably put their early stuff towards the bottom because it lacks some of the fundamental "Sigh-ness" to me. Not to say they are bad in any way. Just...not quite as good.

At 2/5/13 09:29 AM, Bahamut wrote:

I'd have an easier time considering which metal genres don't have fantasy themes. :P The least likely I'm going to find it is in death or sludge metal. Although, if someone did find fantasy themes within those subgenres, I'd like to listen for laughs/curiosity.

Well, in all fairness a lot of Folk Metal bands (like Equilibrium or Ensiferum) have a lot of death metal elements. But I would be quite interested in a "pure" death metal band with fantasy elements.

Also, progress report with the Top 25 Albums of the Year.....my list was deleted and I had to start over...so yeah. Don't expect it till mid-Feb (I've really been fucked over by technology lately, geez.)

Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 07:32:56 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:56 PM, Zodir wrote: Well, in all fairness a lot of Folk Metal bands (like Equilibrium or Ensiferum) have a lot of death metal elements. But I would be quite interested in a "pure" death metal band with fantasy elements.

Yeah, pure death metal was what I had in mind more. I listen to a lot of Ensiferum but they don't quite fall under my criteria.

Also, progress report with the Top 25 Albums of the Year.....my list was deleted and I had to start over...so yeah. Don't expect it till mid-Feb (I've really been fucked over by technology lately, geez.)

You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 19:17:18 Reply

sounds pretty good

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 20:38:19 Reply

Anyone ever listen to Witchfynde? They're NWOBHM.

At 2/6/13 07:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
sounds pretty good

Indeed. I'm actually not even 100% sure how I found them.

But because of them I found a few other bands.
They're: Sky Burial, Act Of Impalement, Rotbrains, and Summit.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 21:25:45 Reply

At 2/6/13 07:32 AM, Bahamut wrote: You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.

I've actually considered that, but I have a very....unstable internet connection here, hence why I don't post quite as often as I used to. So, I would probably have just as much trouble as I am now.

Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-07 07:50:58 Reply

At 2/6/13 09:25 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 2/6/13 07:32 AM, Bahamut wrote: You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.
I've actually considered that, but I have a very....unstable internet connection here, hence why I don't post quite as often as I used to. So, I would probably have just as much trouble as I am now.

Google Docs should constantly save whenever you type so even if your internet connection falls down, you should have it all backed up for whenever your internet connection does return. Also, what kind of internet server are you using to have such shitty performance with getting on the internet? This is 2013 ffs.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 07:17:00 Reply

Picked up:

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Slayer - South Of Heaven

Might not get to listen to them today, I already got my 2 CDs for the month and Mrs. ZAAL would kill me.

Would you like to send our coloured cousins Home again, my friend?
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by BlueHippo. Seig heil

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 07:42:45 Reply

At 2/8/13 07:17 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Picked up:

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Slayer - South Of Heaven

Might not get to listen to them today, I already got my 2 CDs for the month and Mrs. ZAAL would kill me.

Despite what others may say, I'm still a fan of Reign in Blood. Everything else from Slayer, not so much but good tracks are found throughout the first five records. I just don't praise South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss as highly as others would.

Tobi
Tobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 07:57:22 Reply

At 2/8/13 07:42 AM, Bahamut wrote: Despite what others may say, I'm still a fan of Reign in Blood.

It seems as though it has become a trend to hate this album. I do think it's a tad overrated, but that doesn't mean it's really bad. One of the biggest criticisms I see is that it's too cartoony. Seriously, go listen to "Blasphemer" by Sodom, and tell me what's cartoony.

I just don't praise South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss as highly as others would.

tbh, I can't get in to South of Heaven beyond one or two tracks. Even though the drums and riffs are all great, possibly some of the greatest of their career, the vocals just plain out suck.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 09:34:52 Reply

At 2/8/13 07:57 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 2/8/13 07:42 AM, Bahamut wrote: I just don't praise South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss as highly as others would.
tbh, I can't get in to South of Heaven beyond one or two tracks. Even though the drums and riffs are all great, possibly some of the greatest of their career, the vocals just plain out suck.

Yeah, the clerk told me to check out Reign In Blood first. I was intending to, I know of it by reputation. The guy nearly fainted when I told him that I hadn't heard any Slayer.

Yet.

Would you like to send our coloured cousins Home again, my friend?
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by BlueHippo. Seig heil

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 20:06:59 Reply

See Helloween and Gamma Ray in April in London; the following night I shall see Sonata Arctica live in London. Stop spoiling me so much 2013.

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-08 23:40:55 Reply

Just found the band Bevar Sea today.
Some pretty awesome Indian Stoner/Doom Metal.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-09 17:33:40 Reply

At 2/8/13 08:06 PM, Bahamut wrote: See Helloween and Gamma Ray in April in London; the following night I shall see Sonata Arctica live in London. Stop spoiling me so much 2013.

You bastard. I could've seen Testament and Overkill last Saturday, but money's tight right now.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 00:34:06 Reply

At 2/8/13 07:42 AM, Bahamut wrote: Despite what others may say, I'm still a fan of Reign in Blood. Everything else from Slayer, not so much but good tracks are found throughout the first five records. I just don't praise South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss as highly as others would.

That's a very nice way to say they are over-rated and full of shit :)

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 02:58:23 Reply

Can someone recommend me any Power Metal?
And possibly some Drone Metal?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 05:23:07 Reply

At 2/10/13 02:58 AM, Viper50 wrote: Can someone recommend me any Power Metal?

Labyrinth - the album Return to Heaven Denied (very good Progressive Power Metal)
Control Denied - because Chuck Schuldiner.
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder is a good album... right ? (RIDERS OF THE STORM !!! ONE WITH THE WIIIIND ! DEFENDERS OF CREATION !!!)
Allen/Lande - Don't know if it counts as "Power Metal", but it's cheesy as fuck :P
Jacobs Dream - I can't recommand these guys enough. Listen to their music!
Sinergy - Guys from CoB with Alexi Laiho's ex-wife. Cool stuff.
Sonata Arctica - obviously.

And possibly some Drone Metal?

The usual ones, right ?

Get some of Sunn O)))'s albums. The Black One, Monoliths and Dimensions, Domkirke, The White One.
And some Boris of course. Absolutego and Dronevil Final are great Drone albums. If you can get Altar by Sunn O))) & Boris, it's a must :)

Otherwise, get some
Earth
Otzepenevshiye
Ascend

and maybe... and I can't believe I'm recommanding this... but some Khlyst. Their album Chaos Is My Name, is an album I gave a 47% rating in a review for Metal Archives. This album as a whole is a piece of shit if you ask me, but the Drone tracks are abysmal. They are fuckin' great! As in Sunn O))) great!

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 08:07:44 Reply

At 2/10/13 05:23 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Labyrinth - the album Return to Heaven Denied (very good Progressive Power Metal)
Control Denied - because Chuck Schuldiner.
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder is a good album... right ? (RIDERS OF THE STORM !!! ONE WITH THE WIIIIND ! DEFENDERS OF CREATION !!!)
Allen/Lande - Don't know if it counts as "Power Metal", but it's cheesy as fuck :P
Jacobs Dream - I can't recommand these guys enough. Listen to their music!
Sinergy - Guys from CoB with Alexi Laiho's ex-wife. Cool stuff.
Sonata Arctica - obviously.

To be honest. The only bands you listed that I knew were: Control Denied, Hammerfall, and Sonata Arctica haha.
I'll get around to looking up the others after I stop feeling like I'm going to throw up xD

The usual ones, right ?

Get some of Sunn O)))'s albums. The Black One, Monoliths and Dimensions, Domkirke, The White One.
And some Boris of course. Absolutego and Dronevil Final are great Drone albums. If you can get Altar by Sunn O))) & Boris, it's a must :)

I have pretty much all of Sunn O)))'s albums on my computer :3 Including Altar.
Finally....

Otherwise, get some
Earth
Otzepenevshiye
Ascend

and maybe... and I can't believe I'm recommanding this... but some Khlyst. Their album Chaos Is My Name, is an album I gave a 47% rating in a review for Metal Archives. This album as a whole is a piece of shit if you ask me, but the Drone tracks are abysmal. They are fuckin' great! As in Sunn O))) great!

I already have stuff by Earth. But will also check out the rest of the bands listed.
Also that DOES sound like it would be pretty great (with the drone tracks and whatnot). haha xD

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 13:40:04 Reply

In Somniphobia is really good and would be even better if it wasnt so loud

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 15:14:04 Reply

At 2/10/13 08:07 AM, Viper50 wrote: I already have stuff by Earth. But will also check out the rest of the bands listed.
Also that DOES sound like it would be pretty great (with the drone tracks and whatnot). haha xD

There is an interesting little album you could try to find online. It is named Heliophagia V. AOTA, Panacea Enterpainment, ÄEUv Ux (Av Ux if Newgrounds fucks the name up), Otzepenevshiye and Paracore. What you'll find on this 35 minutes album is some Dark Ambient, some Drone and some Funeral Doom Metal. You might enjoy it. If you can't get your hands on it, just PM.

Arcturus - Of Nails And Sinners
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 16:37:56 Reply

At 2/10/13 03:14 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: There is an interesting little album you could try to find online. It is named Heliophagia V. AOTA, Panacea Enterpainment, Ã"EUv Ux (Av Ux if Newgrounds fucks the name up), Otzepenevshiye and Paracore. What you'll find on this 35 minutes album is some Dark Ambient, some Drone and some Funeral Doom Metal. You might enjoy it. If you can't get your hands on it, just PM.

I'll look for it now.
And I guess if I can't find it by the end of the day I'll PM you xD

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 19:01:46 Reply

Firewind, Redemption

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-10 19:02:38 Reply

At 2/10/13 07:01 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
Firewind, Redemption

Thank you.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature