Be a Supporter!

Metal Hell

  • 2,034,915 Views
  • 78,529 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-30 12:57:14 Reply

At 7/30/12 11:55 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 7/30/12 03:16 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Melissa
Is that her real name, or does she really like Mercyful Fate?

Both? It's her real name tho.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-30 14:41:04 Reply

At 7/30/12 11:36 AM, Bahamut wrote: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is the longest from the lot but even with that, it's still a strong track. I like how there's four instrumentals from this album and The Hawthorne Passage is finding a lot of love from myself right now.

So you have checked out Ashes Against The Grain, but you just like The Mantle better. I'm not really suprised actually. This whole album has a Bahamut aura :P

Surely Melissa is the best name for a female metalhead.

Not a big fan of Mercyful Fate. But I loved a girl named Melissa. I like the name two :)

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-30 15:06:43 Reply

At 7/30/12 12:57 PM, ElGhoulio wrote:
At 7/30/12 11:55 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 7/30/12 03:16 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Melissa
Is that her real name, or does she really like Mercyful Fate?
Both? It's her real name tho.

Well she sure sounds like a keeper :P
Anyone who likes Mercyful Fate is okay in my book.

Weird thing is I was for the past like...month or so trying to go out with this girl I know, and her name is also Melissa ._.
She ended up turning me down, but we're still good friends.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 02:26:08 Reply

At 7/30/12 03:06 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 7/30/12 12:57 PM, ElGhoulio wrote:
At 7/30/12 11:55 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 7/30/12 03:16 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Melissa
Is that her real name, or does she really like Mercyful Fate?
Both? It's her real name tho.
Well she sure sounds like a keeper :P
Anyone who likes Mercyful Fate is okay in my book.

She's trying to get me a job at this local music store in Marin. She knows the owner. I love working with guitars, and I want to get another fender (or fender-like) guitar as my next purchase, so this should go over quite well.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 05:38:31 Reply

At 7/30/12 02:41 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 7/30/12 11:36 AM, Bahamut wrote: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is the longest from the lot but even with that, it's still a strong track. I like how there's four instrumentals from this album and The Hawthorne Passage is finding a lot of love from myself right now.
So you have checked out Ashes Against The Grain, but you just like The Mantle better. I'm not really suprised actually. This whole album has a Bahamut aura :P

Oh no, I haven't even jumped that far yet but I will want to check out Ashes Against the Grain sooner than later. On the other hand, it's a good idea to embrace The Mantle as much as possible before moving on.

At 7/31/12 02:26 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: She's trying to get me a job at this local music store in Marin. She knows the owner. I love working with guitars, and I want to get another fender (or fender-like) guitar as my next purchase, so this should go over quite well.

Now that sounds quite a job. Here's hoping for the best from this.

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 11:35:34 Reply

At 7/31/12 02:26 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: She's trying to get me a job at this local music store in Marin. She knows the owner. I love working with guitars, and I want to get another fender (or fender-like) guitar as my next purchase, so this should go over quite well.

Sounds like a good job. I was interested in trying to get a job at this music store thats about a half hour drive from here.
As for me im holding off on buying any more guitars or guitar related things. I feel as though i have enough at the moment.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 12:05:37 Reply

At 7/31/12 11:35 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 7/31/12 02:26 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: She's trying to get me a job at this local music store in Marin. She knows the owner. I love working with guitars, and I want to get another fender (or fender-like) guitar as my next purchase, so this should go over quite well.
Sounds like a good job. I was interested in trying to get a job at this music store thats about a half hour drive from here.
As for me im holding off on buying any more guitars or guitar related things. I feel as though i have enough at the moment.

Never. I love tinkering with guitars, and exploring new sonic textures. I have 3 electrics and would love to use moar.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 12:47:45 Reply

At 7/31/12 12:05 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: Never. I love tinkering with guitars, and exploring new sonic textures. I have 3 electrics and would love to use moar.

I have 4 electrics and an acoustic that was converted into an acoustic/electric by the dude that owned it before me.
In total ive had...I wanna say 8 guitars. ESP LTD Viper 50, my acoustic electric, BC Rich Bich, some crappy strat copy, Epiphone SG, Epiphone Les Paul, Hamer Explorer, and a Gibson SG. I no longer have the last three. The LP was destroyed, I gave the Explorer back to the person I got it from, and I sold the Gibson.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2012-07-31 13:29:55 Reply

Agalloch's setlist when I saw them:

01. Limbs
02. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
03. Faustian Echoes
04. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
05. Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds
06. Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
07. As Embers Dress the Sky
08. Hallways of Enchanted Ebony
09. You Were But a Ghost in My Arms
10. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
11. Kneel to the Cross
ENCORE:
12. Falling Snow

It was pretty great, i'm definitely traveling to Connecticut in October to see them headline Winter is Coming Fest with Evoken, Fen, Sig:Ar:Tyr, etc.

Saint Vitus / Weedeater / Sourvein tour:

09/14 Little Rock, AR âEU" Rev Room (no Sourvein) (also feat. Rwake & YOB)
09/15 Memphis, TN âEU" Hi-Tone Cafe
09/16 Nashville, TN âEU" Exit/In
09/18 Atlanta, GA âEU" The Masquerade
09/19 Raleigh, NC âEU" Lincoln Theatre
09/20 Richmond, VA âEU" Kingdom
09/21 Huntington, WV âEU" V Club
09/22 Lexington, KY âEU" Backroom (âEUoeBoomslang FestivalâEUoe)
09/23 Pittsburgh, PA âEU" The Rex Theater
09/24 Cambridge, MA âEU" Middle East Downstairs
09/25 Brooklyn, NY âEU" Saint Vitus
09/27 Washington, DC âEU" Black Cat
09/28 New York, NY âEU" Best Buy Theater (with Down, Warbeast, Haarp) (no Sourvein & Weedeater)
09/29 Cleveland, OH âEU" Grog Shop
09/30 Chicago, IL âEU" Bottom Lounge
10/01 Minneapolis, MN âEU" Triple Rock Social Club
10/02 Lawrence, KS âEU" Granada Theater
10/03 Denver, CO âEU" Bluebird Theater
10/04 Salt Lake City, UT âEU" Urban Lounge
10/05 Boise, ID âEU" Neurolux
10/06 Portland, OR âEU" Fall Into Darkness Fest
10/07 Seattle, WA âEU" The Highline
10/09 San Francisco, CA âEU" The Independent
10/10 Los Angeles, CA âEU" Bootleg Theater
10/11 Sacramento, CA âEU" HarlowâEUTMs
10/12 Santa Cruz, CA âEU" Atrium @ The Catalyst
10/14 Santa Ana, CA âEU" The Observatory
10/15 Mesa, AZ âEU" Nile Theatre
10/16 Albuquerque, NM âEU" Launchpad
10/18 Austin, TX âEU" Beauty Bar
10/19 San Antonio, TX âEU" Bonds 007

I will definitely try and go to the MA date of this tour!


Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-01 03:31:14 Reply

At 7/27/12 03:28 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Just got back from a local power metal show with my girlfriend, Melissa.

Instantly I hear "MELISSAAAAAAA" in the voice of King Diamond. Damn Ghoulio you can pick em! You shall always remain the man haha.

I've just discovered how funny Ozzy is in the Osbournes.


Metal Hell.
Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-01 05:00:27 Reply

By the looks of this playlist Roadburn is like the best festival besides Hellfest? I wish I lived in Tampa, they had that free death metal concert and Sleep played... I want to see Sleep and Om so bad.


Metal Hell.
Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-01 19:28:27 Reply

Only now I discover a band called Hexenhaus, a swedish thrash metal band from the 80s. I shat myself when I saw the album cover for A Tribute to Insanity.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-02 00:54:49 Reply

At 7/31/12 05:38 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh no, I haven't even jumped that far yet but I will want to check out Ashes Against the Grain sooner than later. On the other hand, it's a good idea to embrace The Mantle as much as possible before moving on.

Oh definitely. But a fun thing you could have did would have been to start with their very first album and followed their discography in chronological order to get the best feeling of their evolution. But since all their albums are great, it really doesn't matter. I'm happy you are enjoying The Mantle so far. Tell me when you get any other of their releases so we can discuss it :)

At 7/31/12 01:29 PM, AniMetal wrote: Agalloch's setlist when I saw them:

01. Limbs
02. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
03. Faustian Echoes
04. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
05. Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds
06. Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
07. As Embers Dress the Sky
08. Hallways of Enchanted Ebony
09. You Were But a Ghost in My Arms
10. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
11. Kneel to the Cross
ENCORE:
12. Falling Snow

Exactly the same as in Montreal. But you guys didn't see them play In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion with Nathanael Larochette from Musk Ox.

I can't help but think that Agalloch should play some of their Drone stuff live. I don't know if it was the same at your show, but Taurus didn't get a very good reception from the crowd in Montreal. There was a few people who liked it a lot, or found it interresting, like I did. But I heard negative opinions on their set... and I can't help but feel that a lot of Agalloch fans are dumb and only like them for very superficial reasons.

I see two kinds of Agalloch fans. The one who are deeply in love with the way they master over 10 different genres and manage to mix elements from all the genres in a perfect blend... and there are the melo-kids who like them because they are melodic, sometimes smoother and relaxing but heavy. The melo-kids do not understand how important drone is in Agalloch's sound. It may not be obvious to them, but Drone is all about heavyness, sound experimentation, atmosphere and build-ups. I was disapointed by the fan's reaction to Taurus, because it shows how little they understand about Agalloch's music...

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-02 09:47:31 Reply

At 8/2/12 12:54 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 7/31/12 05:38 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh no, I haven't even jumped that far yet but I will want to check out Ashes Against the Grain sooner than later. On the other hand, it's a good idea to embrace The Mantle as much as possible before moving on.
Oh definitely. But a fun thing you could have did would have been to start with their very first album and followed their discography in chronological order to get the best feeling of their evolution. But since all their albums are great, it really doesn't matter. I'm happy you are enjoying The Mantle so far. Tell me when you get any other of their releases so we can discuss it :)

I've done that particular order with King Crimson. Well, up until Larks' Tongues in Aspic since I really wanted to get Red. Not to worry, I will eventually get Starless and Bible Black from them. It just helps doing that with King Crimson since you will most likely be exposed to the debut album at first and then you'll want to hear In the Wake of Poseidon for more Greg Lake. Maybe afterwards you'll then check out Lizard to see how they managed without him and I tell you, the band lived strong even from there. I don't know how much King Crimson you know but if you've yet to hear Cirkus, then you'll soon find out more from them beyond the debut album.

As for Agalloch, considering their small discography, it would have been easy to start from the beginning. However, would the debut album be the best Agalloch gateway album? I was familiar with A Desolation Song a few years back, actually so after hearing it online recently again, I knew The Mantle was the best option.

Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-02 23:07:37 Reply

At 8/1/12 07:28 PM, Bahamut wrote: Only now I discover a band called Hexenhaus, a swedish thrash metal band from the 80s. I shat myself when I saw the album cover for A Tribute to Insanity.

Whoa. That's pretty mindblowing. Is there stuff any good besides the fact that their cover is identical (and predating) to Morbid Angel's Blessed Are the Sick?

So how is everyone's year of metal going? So far, my favorites I've heard this year are:
High on Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis
Kreator's Phantom Antichrist
Meshuggah's Koloss
Primal Fear's Unbreakable
Sigh's In Somniphobia
Vintersorg's Orkan (Might be my album of the year [at least right now])

I'm looking forward to hearing Testament's new album, Time, Voivod's new one, Ensiferum's new one, Ex Deo's Caligula, Ghost's new album, and Darkane's rumored new album. I still need to pick up Gojira's new one, have heard good things about it.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-02 23:36:27 Reply

At 8/2/12 11:07 PM, Zodir wrote: So how is everyone's year of metal going? So far, my favorites I've heard this year are:

As much as I hate to say it I haven't gotten around to listening to much new metal so far this year. Pretty much all ive listened to was: De Vermis Mysteriis, a few songs off of Testament's new album, a few songs from Gojira's new album, Yellow & Green (found out there was something up with the shipping so my copy wont be arriving for a bit), and various tid bits of other albums. All in all im ashamed of myself for not listening to more stuff xD
Hell I got fucking...Jack White's new album, but hes the furthest thing from metal.

Ghost's new album

Ghost is bringing out a new album? That either totally went under the radar for me or my memory is going and i completely forgot about it.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-03 08:24:55 Reply

At 8/2/12 11:07 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 8/1/12 07:28 PM, Bahamut wrote: Only now I discover a band called Hexenhaus, a swedish thrash metal band from the 80s. I shat myself when I saw the album cover for A Tribute to Insanity.
Whoa. That's pretty mindblowing. Is there stuff any good besides the fact that their cover is identical (and predating) to Morbid Angel's Blessed Are the Sick?

The one song I heard was alright.

So how is everyone's year of metal going? So far, my favorites I've heard this year are:

It's not been so good for me this year but I'm hoping this month is where it takes a huge turn. Otherwise this year has been a real disappointment but so has 2012 as a whole.

ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-03 11:53:58 Reply

At 8/1/12 03:31 AM, PenisClown wrote:
At 7/27/12 03:28 AM, ElGhoulio wrote: Just got back from a local power metal show with my girlfriend, Melissa.
Instantly I hear "MELISSAAAAAAA" in the voice of King Diamond. Damn Ghoulio you can pick em! You shall always remain the man haha.

She, her brother, my friend JD, and I are going to see Iron Maiden tonight. Looking forward to that. As well, both her family likes me and my family likes her. I've never been happier with a woman before.

I've just discovered how funny Ozzy is in the Osbournes.

Late.

Oh, and this isn't metal related, but it's good news nonetheless. I got a job yesterday being a marketing consultant for a grassroots marketing firm. I earn 17.33 an hour plus commission. I get paid to talk. I love life right now. I think I'm gonna buy a new stack and a fender to go with it. Yahoo people.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-03 11:57:08 Reply

At 8/3/12 11:53 AM, ElGhoulio wrote:
Oh, and this isn't metal related, but it's good news nonetheless. I got a job yesterday being a marketing consultant for a grassroots marketing firm. I earn 17.33 an hour plus commission. I get paid to talk. I love life right now. I think I'm gonna buy a new stack and a fender to go with it. Yahoo people.

Oh, and the name of the firm is D.J. Ent, inc. For those who don't see the humor in that, Djent is a style of metal/hardcore akin to Meshuggah. I'm pretty sure they don't realize the accidental reference, but it's a little laugh I keep to myself.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
CoCo
CoCo
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-04 14:45:58 Reply

I fucking love Marrow of the Spirit so fucking much

that is all


Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below
Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away
Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature
ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-04 15:16:53 Reply

Got back from Iron Maiden early this morning. The opening band sucked (Coheed and Cambria) and were a bunch of overweight scenefags. The C&C fans looked like a bunch of faggery daggery doo scene idiots.

But Iron Maiden slaughtered everything. We got not one, but TWO eddies (One was from The Trooper, the other was from the cover of Seventh Son with an animatronic baby inside the embryo) and they played a 2.5 hour set.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-04 15:43:00 Reply

Picked up a total of 25 vinyls today. Each of them were $1 so i ended up spending $25 today. Granted only a few of them are "metal" I'm still happy with what I got.
I got: ZZ Top - Eliminator, Van Halen - 1984, The Beatles - Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, and Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild, Don McLean - American Pie, Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Deja Vu, Led Zeppelin - Coda, 2 Ringo Starr albums, Yes - Yessongs, John Lennon - Rock N Roll, 2 Beach Boys, 2 Herman's Hermits, Eagles - Hotel California, some album by the Jackson 5, and what I thought was Cream Disraeli Gears but it didn't have the right vinyl in it. The other 5 vinyls were 45 rpms and I don't feel like going to get them at the moment...


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-05 01:02:16 Reply

At 8/2/12 09:47 AM, Bahamut wrote: I've done that particular order with King Crimson. Well, up until Larks' Tongues in Aspic since I really wanted to get Red. Not to worry, I will eventually get Starless and Bible Black from them. It just helps doing that with King Crimson since you will most likely be exposed to the debut album at first and then you'll want to hear In the Wake of Poseidon for more Greg Lake. Maybe afterwards you'll then check out Lizard to see how they managed without him and I tell you, the band lived strong even from there. I don't know how much King Crimson you know but if you've yet to hear Cirkus, then you'll soon find out more from them beyond the debut album.

Only King Crimson album I have right now is In the Wake of Poseidon, which is a Greg Lake album. And honestly, the first reason why I looked into King Crimson was because of Tony Levin. That just tells you how lost I got :P I still haven't heard anything by Levin with King Crimson, yet I really like In the Wake of Poseidon.

As for Agalloch, considering their small discography, it would have been easy to start from the beginning. However, would the debut album be the best Agalloch gateway album? I was familiar with A Desolation Song a few years back, actually so after hearing it online recently again, I knew The Mantle was the best option.

The only album by Agalloch I could ever consider as "less accessible" would be Marrow Of The Spirit, because of the more agressive elements of black metal they have added to their music and the quality of the sound production. Pale Folklore while it mixes black metal and folk metal, isn't like Marrow Of The Spirit. I often compare Pale Folklore to the first Ulver's album, Bergtatt. I have said before that only Agalloch managed to do something in the vein of Ulver's very first album. It would have been, like all Agalloch's albums, a good place to start. But The Mantle isn't a worst choice by any means.

At 8/2/12 11:07 PM, Zodir wrote: So how is everyone's year of metal going? So far, my favorites I've heard this year are:
High on Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis
Kreator's Phantom Antichrist
Meshuggah's Koloss
Primal Fear's Unbreakable
Sigh's In Somniphobia
Vintersorg's Orkan (Might be my album of the year [at least right now])

I only picked up three albums from 2012 so far :

Abigail Williams - Becoming
Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Ã'me
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

Next album I'm going to pick up will be by an artist who's name will start with the letter b, I swear :P. Abigail Williams and Agalloch's albums are both very good, while Alcest's album is somewhere between decent and good. I like some songs, but it's generaly not as good as Souvenirs d'un autre monde was.

At 8/4/12 02:45 PM, CoCo wrote: I fucking love Marrow of the Spirit so fucking much

that is all

I approove this message.

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-05 09:26:01 Reply

At 8/4/12 03:16 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: Got back from Iron Maiden early this morning. The opening band sucked (Coheed and Cambria) and were a bunch of overweight scenefags. The C&C fans looked like a bunch of faggery daggery doo scene idiots.

Maiden aren't the best when it comes to choice of support acts. However, I expected America to get better support acts than we get. What did we have for The Final Frontier tour? Airbourne with one show with DragonForce and Trivium each. Yeah, not a good range there.

But Iron Maiden slaughtered everything. We got not one, but TWO eddies (One was from The Trooper, the other was from the cover of Seventh Son with an animatronic baby inside the embryo) and they played a 2.5 hour set.

Holy shit! Typically you'd only see one Eddie so your show got really spoiled.

At 8/5/12 01:02 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 8/2/12 09:47 AM, Bahamut wrote: I've done that particular order with King Crimson. Well, up until Larks' Tongues in Aspic since I really wanted to get Red. Not to worry, I will eventually get Starless and Bible Black from them. It just helps doing that with King Crimson since you will most likely be exposed to the debut album at first and then you'll want to hear In the Wake of Poseidon for more Greg Lake. Maybe afterwards you'll then check out Lizard to see how they managed without him and I tell you, the band lived strong even from there. I don't know how much King Crimson you know but if you've yet to hear Cirkus, then you'll soon find out more from them beyond the debut album.
Only King Crimson album I have right now is In the Wake of Poseidon, which is a Greg Lake album. And honestly, the first reason why I looked into King Crimson was because of Tony Levin. That just tells you how lost I got :P I still haven't heard anything by Levin with King Crimson, yet I really like In the Wake of Poseidon.

You still have a lot of amazing works to check out from them. Then again, so do I as I have six of their albums and should get the rest.

The only album by Agalloch I could ever consider as "less accessible" would be Marrow Of The Spirit, because of the more agressive elements of black metal they have added to their music and the quality of the sound production.

I did try Marrow of the Spirit ages ago but found it to be a bit of a heavy listening. I'll eventually pick it up again but maybe at the time I wasn't in the right mood to listen to it.

ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-05 13:05:19 Reply

At 8/5/12 09:26 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 8/4/12 03:16 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: Got back from Iron Maiden early this morning. The opening band sucked (Coheed and Cambria) and were a bunch of overweight scenefags. The C&C fans looked like a bunch of faggery daggery doo scene idiots.
Maiden aren't the best when it comes to choice of support acts. However, I expected America to get better support acts than we get. What did we have for The Final Frontier tour? Airbourne with one show with DragonForce and Trivium each. Yeah, not a good range there.

For the Final Frontier tour we got Dream Theater. I like DT, but they had a shitty set, with lots of stuff from their newer albums and lots of their short stuff. Frankly, I'd be more impressed if they did fewer but longer songs, and I would've liked to hear more than just ONE song from their Kevin Moar days.


But Iron Maiden slaughtered everything. We got not one, but TWO eddies (One was from The Trooper, the other was from the cover of Seventh Son with an animatronic baby inside the embryo) and they played a 2.5 hour set.
Holy shit! Typically you'd only see one Eddie so your show got really spoiled.

Yeah, although the "icebergs" looked way less real than they did on their original Maiden England tour, we got a whole lot of fire, sparks, and lights, and, of course, TWO FUCKEN EDDIES BIATCH. There was also a MASSIVE pit right behind me that I would've joined if I didn't have a foot with busted ligaments.


You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-06 05:38:31 Reply

Hordalands Doedskvad. Because Taake makes the best black metal ever.

Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad Part VII
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-06 06:36:23 Reply

Samples for Devin Townsend's Epicloud

Somehow I had expected this to be rather mellow but the name EPICLOUD should have made it obvious enough what his new album will be like. Certainly looking forward to what Devin crafts from everything here.

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-06 11:32:20 Reply

woo my Yellow & Green and Dopesmoker finally arrived


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-06 15:04:21 Reply

At 8/6/12 11:32 AM, Viper50 wrote: woo my Yellow & Green and Dopesmoker finally arrived

Hows Yellow and Green? I only heard 1 song so far off Green.


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2012-08-06 16:39:54 Reply

At 8/6/12 03:04 PM, Anti-pie wrote:
At 8/6/12 11:32 AM, Viper50 wrote: woo my Yellow & Green and Dopesmoker finally arrived
Hows Yellow and Green? I only heard 1 song so far off Green.

I actually really like it. Granted like i said before when i put up the link for when it was streaming on NPR a bit before it was released that I felt it wasn't "heavy enough" I somewhat take that back. I mean yeah it has its low points here and there but overall its a great album. I mean I wouldn't say its their best album but its still pretty good. Hell im already on my third time through listening to it.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature