00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AVKid4 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,038,870 Views | 77,354 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-30 02:48:24

At 1/29/13 11:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I dunno what to tell you. Black Metal is a style, not a lyrical concept.

If I had to answer my own question, I'd say for one thing, that the first wave of black metal didn't set any rules about satanism, nihilism or whatever. Sure Celtic Frost and Bathory had occult, satan-related, evil oriented themes, but these were lyrical themes and not exactly adherence to those ideologies. You can sing about Satan without worshipping him for real. So it's not like black metal was deeply rooted in this evil stuff. The second wave... it's another story. But I don't think of it as "rules of the genre", since there really wasn't any. It's a tendency in bm to be anti-christian and to swing your dick around with fake blood on your chest (see Profanatica), but it's not like there is only one possibly way to approach the genre.

So I'd say that "white metal" isn't denaturing the genre, even though these bands are pushing against the boundaries some of the fans and musicians of the genre were and are trying to set.

Would that be a good answer ?

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-30 06:20:31

At 1/30/13 02:48 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Would that be a good answer ?

A pretty good answer, I would say.

Take the dictionary definition of genre "A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter." Sense-Offender is basically saying that form and style determine the genre, subject matter being more or less irrelevant in the determining of the genre. However, it can be argued that the subject matter is just as important as form and/or style. It really depends on the person; lyrics are more important to some people than to others.

Personally I end up doing my best to ignore lyrics in black metal, since they tend to directly and violently oppose my own beliefs, so I would be comfortable calling a band "black metal" even if their lyrics are Christian, since I mostly just enjoy the form and style of black metal, not the subject matter. However, perhaps a black metal enthusiast whose beliefs connect with the anti-Christian lyrics of *most* bm bands would adamantly oppose that Christian band being considered a part of the black metal genre, feeling that the Satanic element is essential for any band to be categorized as black metal.

To not-quite-so-tastefully quote Linkin Park in the Metal Hell thread, "in the end, it doesn't even matter." Not unless you're personally invested in the Satanic subject matter so common in black metal, anyways.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 11:55:46

Devin Townsend with Meshuggah in London this May? Oh hell yes! I know I've said I'm not so big on Meshuggah but I feel they're one of those bands you should see at least once. I imagine they'll play a few songs that I like from them so it should be good.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 18:22:55

How come I never heard of this band till now?!?
Savatage- Beyond The Doors Of The Dark

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 19:15:04

At 1/31/13 06:22 PM, Anti-pie wrote: How come I never heard of this band till now?!?

I dunno, cuz they rock. Hard. Listen to more!

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 19:19:10

At 1/31/13 06:22 PM, Anti-pie wrote: How come I never heard of this band till now?!?

What, not even Hall of the Mountain King? That album is definitely worth picking up so I recommend it for your next purchases. However, Savatage have shown consistency issues with their music so from album to album you really have to decide on yourself if you like what you're hearing. While Edge of Thorns might be considered the best to some, personally I don't see the appeal at all. However, I felt they put some good effort to their last two records.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 19:20:44

Whoa you just reminded me that I downloaded a bunch of Savatage and didn't put it on WMP....

same with Manowar and Overkill....
also I head Overkill, Manowar, and Helloween for the first time ever on the radio last Saturday o:

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 19:46:33

At 1/31/13 11:55 AM, Bahamut wrote: Devin Townsend with Meshuggah in London this May? Oh hell yes! I know I've said I'm not so big on Meshuggah but I feel they're one of those bands you should see at least once. I imagine they'll play a few songs that I like from them so it should be good.

Holy shit, is this only in London? I already saw Meshuggah with Decapitated, but I missed Devin with Fear Factory. I just can't let two of my favourite bands pass simultaneously if they tour through the rest of europe.

Boop the snoot

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 19:50:06

At 1/31/13 07:46 PM, Breaktroll wrote: Holy shit, is this only in London? I already saw Meshuggah with Decapitated, but I missed Devin with Fear Factory. I just can't let two of my favourite bands pass simultaneously if they tour through the rest of europe.

I'm afraid it's a one-off show. I'm amazed Devin is back in the UK so soon but he does seem to like London a lot. So much that he played four different albums for four different nights in a row.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-31 20:37:13

At 1/31/13 07:50 PM, Bahamut wrote:
I'm afraid it's a one-off show. I'm amazed Devin is back in the UK so soon but he does seem to like London a lot. So much that he played four different albums for four different nights in a row.

Aw man, huge bummer. :( A trip to the UK plus tickets are a bit too expensive for a student with no job and about 30 euros to spare. Oh well, they'll both come tourin' after a while again I suppose.

Now on the topic of Meshuggah, you guys heard about this?
Seems like chances are big they'll be releasing a free EP through Scion A/V Metal. It could be just live footage, or something else. But apparently Scion has been releasing free EP's from different metal artists lately. I'm pretty excited.

Boop the snoot

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-01 05:21:22

I watched the American version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and noticed that in the scene at the tattoo parlor when Lisbeth Salander gets a tattoo, in the Red by Ulver is playing in the background. neat.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-01 18:49:19

At 1/29/13 11:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new Azure Emote album coming out this spring. If you haven't heard these guys, then...

Clarity Thru Apathy

Cosmic Tear

Justified End

A new track from the album was released and it sounds pretty good.

And just as with their first album, Chronicles of an Aging Mammal, the artwork is quite cool.

Those guys were great man. I was tempted to purchase that album with the songs you posted but I'm not financially stable right now hah...and yeah I agree, that artwork is seriously amazing. I don't hear about too many bands from the US that aren't either brutal death metal or thrash metal.

I haven't heard of them either but they are really awesome man.

I can always rely on this place to introduce me to some awesome new bands.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-01 19:52:13

Anyone here listen to Conan or Bong?
I downloaded their Live At Roadburn stuff off of bandcamp last night but didn't listen to em til today.

That bandcamp also has the Live At Roadburn stuff for: YOB, Wino, Church Of Misery, Year Of No Light, Bongripper, Wolves In The Throne Room, and White Hills.
At 2/1/13 05:21 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched the American version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and noticed that in the scene at the tattoo parlor when Lisbeth Salander gets a tattoo, in the Red by Ulver is playing in the background. neat.

I still haven't watched that movie.....

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-01 23:01:01

At 2/1/13 06:49 PM, mothballs wrote: Those guys were great man. I was tempted to purchase that album with the songs you posted but I'm not financially stable right now

purchase....yes, purchase...
>_>
<_<

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-01 23:27:56

So I just got copies of the following albums today

High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine
Valient Thorr - Legend Of The World
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Technical Ecstasy

The Sabbath albums are both on vinyl. And Technical Ecstasy is still in the original shrink wrap too! o:
So it is in AMAZING condition. I was going to get Never Say Die on vinyl (which was also still in the shrink wrap as well) but my sister was the one at the store and I was talking to her over the phone and she wanted to know what I wanted her to buy for me and I decided not to get it because all together it cost $34 for all 4 of those. And I gotta pay her back when she gets back from wherever she went off to.
That and she was with her boyfriend who thinks the Ozzy era Sabbath is complete garbage and thinks Born Again is the best Sabbath album that has and ever will exist.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-02 15:28:08

I've been wanting to a review one of Sigh's albums for a while, but still haven't figured which one I should do first. Also, while I'm at it, if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst, what would the list look like ? Thanks :)

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-03 09:52:50

At 2/2/13 03:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've been wanting to a review one of Sigh's albums for a while, but still haven't figured which one I should do first. Also, while I'm at it, if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst, what would the list look like ? Thanks :)

I really need to listen to more Sigh. I have Imaginary Sonicscape and In Somniphobia but the only other album I've listened to is Gallows Gallery and then just a track or two from the rest of the albums.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 09:46:34

At 2/2/13 03:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst

I just can't do that. I can tell you, though, that Hangman's Hymn and Imaginary Sonicscape are among my favorites.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 14:44:23

Anyone here listen to Flummox?
They're described as "Technical Doom Metal".

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 18:05:41

At 2/4/13 02:44 PM, Viper50 wrote: Anyone here listen to Flummox?

I see Progressive Stoner Doom Metal on Metal Archives. I'll have to check them out :)

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-04 19:06:11

At 2/4/13 06:05 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I see Progressive Stoner Doom Metal on Metal Archives. I'll have to check them out :)

Ah well you get what I meant haha

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 00:20:05

At 2/4/13 11:58 PM, Shade wrote: Does anyone know of any metal Genres that have fantasy themes?

I can't think of any other than Power Metal.

Depends on what you mean about fantasy.

I know some Gothic or Symphonic Metal stuff like Epica, Kamelot, Nightwish and the likes have their fair share of fantasy related lyrics.

Otherwise, black metal and subgenres or crossover of the genre will touch various mythological of fantastic themes. Tolkien's universe has influenced black metal just has much as it has influenced the power metal scene. Galadriel, Balrog, Gorgoroth, Burzum. Are all bm bands with Tolkien influenced themes (Balrog a little less, I have to admit...).

Thrash and Folk is also very strong on fantasy stuff. Blind Guardian, which is somewhere between thrash and power metal is a proof of that. Otherwise, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Equilibrium, Finsterforst, Turisas, Finntroll and the likes are all bands with fantasy related themes.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 01:37:33

Anyone here listen to Sky Burial? It's pretty decent Post-Metal.

At 2/4/13 11:58 PM, Shade wrote: Does anyone know of any metal Genres that have fantasy themes?

There are some Epic Doom Metal bands with Fantasy themes.
Doomshine, Candlemass, DoomSword, and stuff like that.

Or regular Heavy/Doom Metal like Cirith Ungol.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 09:29:43

I'd have an easier time considering which metal genres don't have fantasy themes. :P The least likely I'm going to find it is in death or sludge metal. Although, if someone did find fantasy themes within those subgenres, I'd like to listen for laughs/curiosity.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-05 15:56:42

At 2/2/13 03:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've been wanting to a review one of Sigh's albums for a while, but still haven't figured which one I should do first. Also, while I'm at it, if you guys would have to rank Sigh's album from best to worst, what would the list look like ? Thanks :)

Wow. That's a tough question. It really depends on mood for me. If I want their heavier, more metal stuff, I'd probably listen to Scenes from Hell, Hangman's Hymn, or Hail, Horror, Hail. If I want their more out-there stuff, it goes to Imaginary Sonicscapes, Gallows Gallery, or In Somniphobia. I would probably put their early stuff towards the bottom because it lacks some of the fundamental "Sigh-ness" to me. Not to say they are bad in any way. Just...not quite as good.

At 2/5/13 09:29 AM, Bahamut wrote:

I'd have an easier time considering which metal genres don't have fantasy themes. :P The least likely I'm going to find it is in death or sludge metal. Although, if someone did find fantasy themes within those subgenres, I'd like to listen for laughs/curiosity.

Well, in all fairness a lot of Folk Metal bands (like Equilibrium or Ensiferum) have a lot of death metal elements. But I would be quite interested in a "pure" death metal band with fantasy elements.

Also, progress report with the Top 25 Albums of the Year.....my list was deleted and I had to start over...so yeah. Don't expect it till mid-Feb (I've really been fucked over by technology lately, geez.)

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 07:32:56

At 2/5/13 03:56 PM, Zodir wrote: Well, in all fairness a lot of Folk Metal bands (like Equilibrium or Ensiferum) have a lot of death metal elements. But I would be quite interested in a "pure" death metal band with fantasy elements.

Yeah, pure death metal was what I had in mind more. I listen to a lot of Ensiferum but they don't quite fall under my criteria.

Also, progress report with the Top 25 Albums of the Year.....my list was deleted and I had to start over...so yeah. Don't expect it till mid-Feb (I've really been fucked over by technology lately, geez.)

You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 19:17:18

sounds pretty good

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 20:38:19

Anyone ever listen to Witchfynde? They're NWOBHM.

At 2/6/13 07:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
sounds pretty good

Indeed. I'm actually not even 100% sure how I found them.

But because of them I found a few other bands.
They're: Sky Burial, Act Of Impalement, Rotbrains, and Summit.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-06 21:25:45

At 2/6/13 07:32 AM, Bahamut wrote: You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.

I've actually considered that, but I have a very....unstable internet connection here, hence why I don't post quite as often as I used to. So, I would probably have just as much trouble as I am now.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2013-02-07 07:50:58

At 2/6/13 09:25 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 2/6/13 07:32 AM, Bahamut wrote: You know what, I'm just going to recommend you use Google Drive to write your stuff. It'll be backed up on your account as opposed to being on the computer. Google accounts are highly secure so you shouldn't have to worry about being hacked or anything providing you have a strong password.
I've actually considered that, but I have a very....unstable internet connection here, hence why I don't post quite as often as I used to. So, I would probably have just as much trouble as I am now.

Google Docs should constantly save whenever you type so even if your internet connection falls down, you should have it all backed up for whenever your internet connection does return. Also, what kind of internet server are you using to have such shitty performance with getting on the internet? This is 2013 ffs.