Be a Supporter!

Wait... Was an Afterlife proven???

  • 1,079 Views
  • 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Boredy-Mcbored
Boredy-Mcbored
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:41 PM Reply

So I was looking at Bio the other day and a marathon of I Survived: Beyond and Back came on. Turns out it's a show where people explain what thier near death experiences were and describes what happened after their heart stopped. That's right: The people actually described what dying is like.

As far as all of their explanations almost all of them mention seeing their bodies from a third-person perspective, then being transported (some either went through a door or floated up; depended on person) to a "land/place" where they just felt at ease. Their bodies were emitted in a very comfortable warmth and most described being engulfed in light. After that their stories start to split. Some are in a tunnel, some are in a field, most described seeing dead loved ones. Once they came back to life they said it was the best feeling they have ever felt and the happiest they've been. Some regret coming 'back' to earth.

After I looked at most of the stories my mind was fucked? I wondered if this meant that heaven existed. I spent many restless nights before worried about life after death. Was this the answer?

So how do you feel NG? Do you think that these people were actually dead or do you think it was the brain hallucinating? Does this prove God or some type of higher power exist?

TL;DR: People who "died" said they went to heaven and came back. You believe them?

Note: I do not know whether these people were following a religion at the time of their experience. I would also like to add that I am not affiliated with any religion.


Too happy!!!

BBS Signature
SaghettiGuy
SaghettiGuy
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:45 PM Reply

Maybe there imagination took hold as they were dying or maybe not, well never know


BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Dying is when you body completely shuts down, not just when your heart stops.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
FountainHammer
FountainHammer
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:47 PM Reply

sounds like dying-brain hallucinations to meh


BBS Signature
The3DragonsGroup
The3DragonsGroup
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:48 PM Reply

So, basically:
You: LOL. I'M DEAD. BRB, GOING TO HEAVEN.
(Reaches Heaven's Gates.)
You: CAN I COME IN? ROFL.
God: NO! GTFO N00B FAG.
You: SHIT!!11!!
(Gets thrown off onto Earth.)
You: FUUUUUUUU-


'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.' - Samuel Johnson

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

In all likelihood, their brains probably released a massive amount of endorphans and "feel-good" chemicals, which could simulate these hallucinations. It'd explain the extreme euphoria that they seem to experience.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Ninjafap
Ninjafap
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

No, because it scientifically doesn't make sense.

You can't believe in something just because you want to believe in it. You need hard, anecdotal evidence (extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence). I wouldn't trust the stories of a bunch of people who could likely be just imagining it as their mind was in a state of trauma (or even worse, lying about it).

But if you want to believe in it real badly.. there's nothing anyone can do to stop you.


Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.

Rocksbury
Rocksbury
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:51 PM Reply

They have a show similar like this on Discovery. But most of the time they're trying to disprove people that said they went to an afterlife. It's still awesome though. Religion 1 - Atheists -1

zalecot
zalecot
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:52 PM Reply

That's just you brain synapses firing as you die. Your heart may stop, but at a limited capacity your brain can still function for several minutes (up to an hour in very limited ways). This is simoly their siding brain attempting to cope with their info, in combination with their later conscious brain working out the utter gap in memory during their death.


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
SaghettiGuy
SaghettiGuy
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 10:51 PM, killaboy69 wrote: Religion 1 - Atheists -1

This is why we cant have nice things.


BBS Signature
Boredy-Mcbored
Boredy-Mcbored
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 10:48 PM, The3DragonsGroup wrote: So, basically:
You: LOL. I'M DEAD. BRB, GOING TO HEAVEN.
(Reaches Heaven's Gates.)
You: CAN I COME IN? ROFL.
God: NO! GTFO N00B FAG.
You: SHIT!!11!!
(Gets thrown off onto Earth.)
You: FUUUUUUUU-

Yep! Hell one guy even though he got rejected by God and was depressed for years.

At 1/18/11 10:50 PM, Ninjafap wrote: No, because it scientifically doesn't make sense.

You can't believe in something just because you want to believe in it. You need hard, anecdotal evidence (extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence). I wouldn't trust the stories of a bunch of people who could likely be just imagining it as their mind was in a state of trauma (or even worse, lying about it).

Actually I doubt they are lying about it. They all seemed to have pretty similar stories. If anything it's the brain's doing.

But if you want to believe in it real badly.. there's nothing anyone can do to stop you.

I'm skeptical but hey it makes me feel a little bit better about dying.


Too happy!!!

BBS Signature
Ninjafap
Ninjafap
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:02 PM Reply

What is the chance that the people who came up with this whole God/heaven/hell/soul thing with no evidence whatsoever had it right to begin with? It's like the chance the entirety of the first Matrix will play out sometimes in the next century. Near. fucking. zero.


Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.

Stormthehouse1729
Stormthehouse1729
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Who knows, if it is, then maybe religion isn't the key to the afterlife, maybe their isn't one, maybe just being a generally good person is what allows us heaven, if that is indeed what they saw. But their is no certainty in what these people have seen, it might have just been a reaction to the body going through a massive crisis.

Anyways, if their is an afterlife so be it but we only get one life, and we must endeavor to make the lives of us and others as enjoyable as possible.
"As soon as we're born we start dying, so ya might as well have a good time"- Cake[Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell]
"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living"-Einstein

Ptero
Ptero
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Dude did you hear about the millions of people who say they saw UFOs? UFOs MUST be real because a lot of people claim they saw them.

SaghettiGuy
SaghettiGuy
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:05 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:04 PM, Ptero wrote: Dude did you hear about the millions of people who say they saw UFOs? UFOs MUST be real because a lot of people claim they saw them.

I love you


BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:04 PM, Ptero wrote: Dude did you hear about the millions of people who say they saw UFOs? UFOs MUST be real because a lot of people claim they saw them.

Yeah. Millions of people have been drunk too.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 10:48 PM, The3DragonsGroup wrote: So, basically:

Yes.


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
111122223138
111122223138
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:35 PM Reply

The white light after they come to isn't god. It's their dumbass eyes readjusting to the light in the room. It's not divine, it's reflrexes.


Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:35 PM, 111122223138 wrote: The white light after they come to isn't god. It's their dumbass eyes readjusting to the light in the room. It's not divine, it's reflrexes.

I believe that the white light that these people speak of is first seen when they are seemingly unconscious, so it may not be their eyes readjusting.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Coop5245
Coop5245
  • Member since: May. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:02 PM, Ninjafap wrote: What is the chance that the people who came up with this whole God/heaven/hell/soul thing with no evidence whatsoever had it right to begin with? It's like the chance the entirety of the first Matrix will play out sometimes in the next century. Near. fucking. zero.

And your point is?

Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:43 PM Reply

Are they here recounting their stories to us? Then they never actually died, therefore brain activity was still happening, hence they are full of shit.


BBS Signature
Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

well, time to bust out the noose


|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:47 PM Reply

If what these people are saying is true, then that means that they actually died, and went to the afterlife where they could view heaven and hell. This would theoretically validate Christianity, but this poses another problem. If they died and came back to life, then that means that Jesus Christ was not the only person to come back from the dead. Hence, Christianity is full of bullshit either way.

Mindfuck.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 18th, 2011 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:04 PM, Ptero wrote: Dude did you hear about the millions of people who say they saw UFOs? UFOs MUST be real because a lot of people claim they saw them.

But UFOs (unidentified flying objects) are real, and they have been caught on tape.

But that doesn't necessarily prove that they are alien spacecraft - They could be top secret military test flights for all we know.

LethalDosage
LethalDosage
  • Member since: Nov. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:28 AM Reply

This could probably be explained away by the fact that your brain doesn't stop processing information the second your heart stops. I think it's something like 3 minutes after the rest of your organs stop working. That might mean nothing, BUT your body also releases DMT when you die, a highly concentrated hallucinogen referred to as the "death drug" sometimes.

Recreational users often report having "near-death experience like hallucinations" when using the drug which has led some doctors to speculate if this is the source of peoples encounters when having encountering clinical death and the drug is released naturally.

Also the whole white light, out of body experience is old news.

Retrogade Art

BBS Signature
Dayl
Dayl
  • Member since: May. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:44 PM, Fleshlight wrote: well, time to bust out the noose

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL'D


BBS Signature
Spartan204
Spartan204
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 1/18/11 11:35 PM, 111122223138 wrote: The white light after they come to isn't god. It's their dumbass eyes readjusting to the light in the room. It's not divine, it's reflrexes.

Who said it was God? You know you guys don't have to be so black and white with everything, right?


Newgrounds | PM me for a forum signature

BBS Signature
Fleuve
Fleuve
  • Member since: May. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:41 AM Reply

At 1/18/11 10:49 PM, Jedi-Master wrote: In all likelihood, their brains probably released a massive amount of endorphans and "feel-good" chemicals, which could simulate these hallucinations. It'd explain the extreme euphoria that they seem to experience.

Thank you! Since you've been here I know somebody's other than me is watching over theses kids impressionable minds. Now I can sleep ez.... asdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:44 AM Reply

Here's the logical explanation:

they're short-circuiting. Literally. When you die, and your heart stops, your brain panics and goes to a last resort, sacrificing the body to save itself.(sounds weird, i know) It's kind of like a short circuit, all the signals get mixed up, brain synopsis miss fire, and your whole concept of reality goes out the window.

In a way, near death visions and experiences are very similar to lucid dreaming, only you have no control over the shit you're seeing and your brain thinks it's real.

Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Wait... Was an Afterlife proven??? Jan. 19th, 2011 @ 01:45 AM Reply

Houdini wanted to prove it. Hi wife said some shit about something, and the fad started.