00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Writing Anthology

13,450 Views | 114 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-12 17:56:08

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-12 17:57:27

I'd probably want a physical copy if anything, any idea how much it will be? Until a few days ago, I wasn't aware that we had a decent sized writing community here on Newgrounds. I'm interested to see what there is to offer!

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-12 19:24:28

At 9/12/11 12:07 AM, EKublai wrote: yes it is.

I'll likely pick up the pace with my short story and get it sent by the end of the month.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-16 10:48:48

At 9/12/11 05:56 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Ctrl + F Suprememessage, HAVE FUN!

That's not how it works. Read the submission requirements.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-18 05:44:53

The first draft will likely be finished today, and thus begins the painful process of adjustment after adjustment.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-20 19:08:54

What counts as Creative Non-fiction?

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-20 20:54:20

At 9/16/11 10:48 AM, EKublai wrote:
At 9/12/11 05:56 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Ctrl + F Suprememessage, HAVE FUN!
That's not how it works. Read the submission requirements.

Fuck, oh well, I'll stick to just buying the book when it's done.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-21 11:48:59

At 9/20/11 07:08 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: What counts as Creative Non-fiction?

Creative ways to portray real-life. It can be a story, a poem or, perhaps, a script (not entirely sure about the last one). However, and I really need to make this clear: It has to stand up as interesting and enjoyable to read about. If it's a poem about the time you saved someone from near-death and it's portrayed in a good way, fantastic. However, if it's just a story about your average day at school, saying it's non-fiction isn't going to shelter it from being shit. It really needs to stand up and be good, based on true events or not, and it being a piece of creative non-fiction is meant to flavour it.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-21 15:09:09

At 9/21/11 11:48 AM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 9/20/11 07:08 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: What counts as Creative Non-fiction?
Creative ways to portray real-life. It can be a story, a poem or, perhaps, a script (not entirely sure about the last one). However, and I really need to make this clear: It has to stand up as interesting and enjoyable to read about. If it's a poem about the time you saved someone from near-death and it's portrayed in a good way, fantastic. However, if it's just a story about your average day at school, saying it's non-fiction isn't going to shelter it from being shit. It really needs to stand up and be good, based on true events or not, and it being a piece of creative non-fiction is meant to flavour it.

Oh I see. Sounds very much like anything to do with Prose. So does this sort of thing count?

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-22 12:52:40

At 9/21/11 03:09 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Oh I see. Sounds very much like anything to do with Prose. So does this sort of thing count?

That looks like an essay. Not sure if it would count, but I somehow doubt it.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-23 04:40:46

At 9/21/11 03:09 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:

Oh I see. Sounds very much like anything to do with Prose. So does this sort of thing count?

Not exactly. Creative Non-fiction is storytelling with the truth. For instance, take Werner Herzog's documentary "Grizzly Man" or Oliver Stone's films like W or JFK. Both guys are working with real facts, but treating the participants as one would characters in fiction. By drawing connections between true events, something of a story is created, usually the personality or judgment of a person.

Still, the line is still blurry. But I would not accept something like what you linked to because there's no aspect of storytelling.

Also, just to remind everyone..... EIGHT DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT!!!!

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-23 05:40:45

At 9/23/11 04:40 AM, EKublai wrote: Also, just to remind everyone..... EIGHT DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT!!!!

Ah, shit, that's what I get for not stopping by here more often. I didn't even know this thing was still happening until a few days ago. And it doubly sucks because I'm actually in a fiction writing class right now, but I'm not getting my story workshopped until mid-October. Bleeeh.

I guess I could still try to whip something up in a week (and get ahead of my work for the class in the process), but I'm worried it'll end up coming out a little too rough. Or alternately, do you still need shorter stuff to go in between the main works? Because I have a couple one-page vignettes lying around that I could spruce up.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-23 13:32:42

At 9/23/11 05:40 AM, Dr-Worm wrote:

Or alternately, do you still need shorter stuff to go in between the main works? Because I have a couple one-page vignettes lying around that I could spruce up.

I'm welcoming anything that's up to snuff.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-23 14:23:58

At 9/23/11 04:40 AM, EKublai wrote: Also, just to remind everyone..... EIGHT DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT!!!!

Well, on Monday the second proof-reader is getting her PC back, once that's finished I'll e-mail the "final" draft (although I get the feeling you'd want to change a bit).

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-09-30 09:59:39

Fourteen hours left to submit. This will be a fairly strict deadline FYI.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-01 00:13:39

Alright the time to submit is over.
I'm really excited guys. This gonna be just swell.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-03 04:06:55

Looks like I'm not in on the account of being unable to get OpenOffice before the deadline (it's literally impossible to download it on a wifi generated by a mobile phone), so grats to those who succeeded.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-06 14:16:18

At 10/1/11 12:13 AM, EKublai wrote: Alright the time to submit is over.
I'm really excited guys. This gonna be just swell.

Even though I wasn't accepted, I'm still really eager to see this thing completed and published, and I'm looking forward to buying it when it comes out.

It'd just be really inspiring reading it and knowing, that not only was this huge collection of stories and literature put together by users or all ages and all occupations from all over the world, but it was also built by users with more than just writing as a skill. You'd read the anthology and know that, behind every great story lies perhaps an aspiring animator, a programmer or musician.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-23 23:15:25

so can we send our own versions of fairy tales like making a story where red riding hood is actually The wolf or a man or something ( I havn't written a spoof of red riding hood I'm only using it as an example)

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-23 23:37:27

At 10/23/11 11:15 PM, Farore02 wrote: so can we send our own versions of fairy tales like making a story where red riding hood is actually The wolf or a man or something ( I havn't written a spoof of red riding hood I'm only using it as an example)

Sorry , we're no longer accepting submissions.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-24 03:21:32

Now that all my uni stuff is out of the way for the year, I should be able to get to editing my pieces.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-10-24 15:59:56

Sweet look forward to it.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-11-07 12:42:16

Sorry just posting because I keep thinking someone replied to the thread but they actually had their post deleted so.... yeah.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-12-10 07:48:55

And I finally got around to editing my pieces for the anthology. Hopefully they should be polished to a satisfactory standard.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-12-10 17:52:56

Thanks. Look forward to seeing the changes.