TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:17:43 Reply

Our guest judge for the Second NG Game Jam is Edmund McMillen!

Edmund has been posting games on NG since 2001 and has most recently been tearing up the XBLA and STEAM charts with his indie sensation, Super Meat Boy.

Edmund selected his top five in order of how much fun he had. His results are DIFFERENT from the popular vote, but it's OK to be different.

Members of the IceBoy team will each be receiving $30 store credit for the first place prize!

While I have your attention, here's an honorable mention to three submissions that faired well with the audience vote:

I hope everyone enjoyed participating!

If this makes you want to get your jam on, don't miss our January Movie Jam, with the story phase currently in-progress.

Next week we'll finally talk about winners for the informal Winter Flash-Off we had in December.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Death
Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:22:16 Reply

congrats to the winners! I really liked bearbound.

WingDemon
WingDemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:24:28 Reply

Lol. the results are FINALLY in.

NonPlusUltra
NonPlusUltra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:29:18 Reply

Gratz to all the winners!

BBS Signature
JackSmack
JackSmack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:33:20 Reply

OH SNAP. The guys in the forum didn't believe me when I said it was anyone's game.

Visit JackSmack.com and submit your Flash Games!

BBS Signature
Donut
Donut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:35:16 Reply

Congratulations to the winners! I enjoyed playing all of the games and I'm excited for the next Game or Movie Jam. It's always great to see the community work together and make something we'll all enjoy.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.
PSN ID:Peegler
Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature
JackSmack
JackSmack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:36:14 Reply

Oh and Tom the original contest post says...

"The last game jam went really well, with 19 teams, 14 finished submissions, and a grand prize of $300 store credit for the winning team! You can check out the results of the last jam here."

So that is a Benjamin apiece for the winners not $30. I know the economy is rough but I'll assume you just didn't know and aren't pulling a fast one. Though... I've got my eye on you.

BBS Signature
JackSmack
JackSmack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:38:07 Reply

OR I should read that better and know that the post didn't say anything about the prizes for this jam at all... other people quoted it in the forums and I got confused. mah bad. Still have my eye on you though.

BBS Signature
ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:39:17 Reply

At 1/14/11 10:36 AM, JackSmack wrote: Oh and Tom the original contest post says...

"The last game jam went really well, with 19 teams, 14 finished submissions, and a grand prize of $300 store credit for the winning team! You can check out the results of the last jam here."

So that is a Benjamin apiece for the winners not $30. I know the economy is rough but I'll assume you just didn't know and aren't pulling a fast one. Though... I've got my eye on you.

He thought he was gonna get away with it too!

"Thwarted again by that damn JackSmack!"

JackSmack
JackSmack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:44:19 Reply

At 1/14/11 10:39 AM, ZStriefel wrote: He thought he was gonna get away with it too!

Actually Z, I went back and actually looked over the announcement post for this jam and there is NO mention of a prize at all for this jam. the $300 is in reference to the previous Jam. So, I guess the joke is on me and the rest of the jammers. The 30 bucks is more than we were promised, though it was eluded to that it would be the same as the last jam several times in the forum and it was never corrected.

Knew I should have read the fine print. :P

BBS Signature
JGL096
JGL096
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:45:29 Reply

Congrats to winners!

Newgrounds Forever! / Comment my userpage, bitch! / Add me as fan :3

BBS Signature
maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:49:19 Reply

At 1/14/11 10:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: Edmund selected his top five in order of how much fun he had. His results are DIFFERENT from the popular vote, but it's OK to be different.

Edmund makes games professionally, I think it's okay to make different choices when games are part of your job. But yeah, he did make a good selection.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:53:22 Reply

At 1/14/11 10:44 AM, JackSmack wrote:
At 1/14/11 10:39 AM, ZStriefel wrote: He thought he was gonna get away with it too!

Actually Z, I went back and actually looked over the announcement post for this jam and there is NO mention of a prize at all for this jam. the $300 is in reference to the previous Jam. So, I guess the joke is on me and the rest of the jammers. The 30 bucks is more than we were promised, though it was eluded to that it would be the same as the last jam several times in the forum and it was never corrected.

Knew I should have read the fine print. :P

Oh shiiii.. The NG police got to you didn't they?!? Tom got you on his payroll! NOBODY IS SAAAAAFEEE

...mmmm sleep deprivation.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 10:55:54 Reply

Congratulations to all of the winners - the only one of these games I've actually played is BearBound (and loved it) so I'll have to try out the rest of the winners.

Way to go, everyone who participated!

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:04:00 Reply

At 1/14/11 10:38 AM, JackSmack wrote: OR I should read that better and know that the post didn't say anything about the prizes for this jam at all... other people quoted it in the forums and I got confused. mah bad. Still have my eye on you though.

Hahah actually I only checked Austin's post for the second Game Jam, where he just said store credit without naming an amount... And $30 is like our typical store credit prize since it lets people buy one of just about anything. I didn't think to check what the prizes were in the first jam. :P

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:07:23 Reply

The four IceBoy team-mates now have $75 each in store credit, instead of $30.

In light of these unexpected expenditures, the winners of the Movie Jam will collectively need to pay NG $60 in place of a prize.

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:10:57 Reply

Congrats to all the winners and such, the bear one was my fave though fun stuff as always, keep up the awsome work newgrounds.

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:12:11 Reply

Congratulations to the lucky winners!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:24:28 Reply

What? Icy Cave of Fustration isn't mentioned? That game is awesome! Well, congrats to you guys anyway. :)

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:25:59 Reply

Iceboy won? Didn't see that one coming! Congrats to all!

BBS Signature
ShadowGamer2
ShadowGamer2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:28:51 Reply

WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! thank you edmund!!!

ill be honest, my money was on bearbound, that game was beastly.

yo, congratulations for everyone who participated, all the games were awesome. :D

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:36:26 Reply

Cool results, I'm really glad it was judges by a professional and not just everyone.

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:38:40 Reply

Dudes, mechanical ice apocalypse was by far the best of the bunch, though it needed more lives.

MonoFlauta
MonoFlauta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:41:15 Reply

First of all sorry for my horrible English and a lot of mistakes I had and will make :)

Well what can I say? First I didn't though we got the 100% of possibilities to win. I thought that there were other games really near to win and even with more possibilities that our games. First, I think that IceBoy is a really good game and really well programmed, I never thought it had a lot of possibilities but well, they won and I am happy for them :). Then there are some games I can't understand how they reach there, the AustinBreed one, really people, had you fun with it? You just move in circles throwing fire... just that! I think it's well programmed at everything but I find a lot more fun other games, a lot more :S sorry Austin but I didn't like too much your game, it's really well programmed but I can't find it fun :S. And The Pyre, is lagged as hell and I don't find it really well programmed, I never thought it had a possibility but well, me or the rest of the people weren't the judge. I am very happy that Eskimo River Rush get a position there, I think that from there it should had second place and Mechanical Ice Apocalypse the first place (from the winners) but well. I am happy for both of them because they reach that place :) and I really had fun with them especially with Eskimo River Rush :P. Then, I think that the three games I thought they were going to win just get an honorable place below, I think its awesome that they won that because I think that three games should be in the top 5, not because the votes, I mean because the graphics and the programming things, don't know which game first but I think those game should be first. Also something I can't understand is how Icy Cave of Frustration didn't get at least an honorable place, that games was like really popular, it's very simple (at least for me) but people really liked it and with the high score system it became very popular. Well I think I can't say anything more, I think that the top five should was like this: Escape from ice mountain, Bearbound, Alvin's Alps, Mechanical Ice Apocalypse and Eskimo River Rush (not in particular order). Well I think don't have anything more to say, I am happy for the winners and I can say that this experience was anyway very good, because now people like RedHarvest know me and wants to work maybe in another project with me. So this thing of random integration is very useful for a lot of people who is a bit good like me because can work in great projects if they are really ready. Why I am saying this? Just to tell that this thing of random things is something we shouldn't lose like we are doing in the movie jam that we send the team made, because is something really awesome that the jam had.

Just hope you find something of this useful for the next jam or be agree or argue (in a passive way lol) with me :)

Best regards,
MonoFlauta

3D-xelu
3D-xelu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:47:57 Reply

At 1/14/11 11:38 AM, BoMToons wrote: Dudes, mechanical ice apocalypse was by far the best of the bunch, though it needed more lives.
At 1/14/11 11:41 AM, MonoFlauta wrote: I think that from there it should had second place and Mechanical Ice Apocalypse the first place

Thank you very much guys for liking Mechanical Ice Apocalypse <3 U ARE AWESOME

And congrats to the winners.... (damn you creator of ice boy)

Aaaaaand good luck next time :3

SystemOfAtte
SystemOfAtte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 11:55:21 Reply

Hey Tom i've been meaning to ask this Question for a while, where can i see what are the shipping expenses (I wanna know because i live in Finland and i'm pretty sure it's not free..)

<make>Funny joke</make>
ERROR Unable to make a "Funny joke"

Koolguykai
Koolguykai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 12:04:10 Reply

At 1/14/11 11:28 AM, ShadowGamer2 wrote: WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! thank you edmund!!!

ill be honest, my money was on bearbound, that game was beastly.

yo, congratulations for everyone who participated, all the games were awesome. :D

Yay we won! But I really thought that Bearbound was gonna win too. Or Icy cave of frusteration.

I regret nothing.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 12:11:31 Reply

First, I'd like to say: Holy SHIT...I did *not* expect first place!!! Awesomesauce.

Second:

At 1/14/11 11:55 AM, SystemOfAtte wrote: Hey Tom i've been meaning to ask this Question for a while, where can i see what are the shipping expenses (I wanna know because i live in Finland and i'm pretty sure it's not free..)

I'm wondering about that too...would NG even ship to Egypt? I always assumed not, so I never attempted to buy anything from the store...

At 1/14/11 11:41 AM, MonoFlauta wrote: Well what can I say...

Thirdly, I'd like to re-iterate the point of game jams, which I've been saying a lot. Game jams are for "rapidly prototyping video game designs and injecting new ideas into the game industry". And I think that's why the winners may seem surprising, they weren't picked based on which was the best game. In that sense, I think BearBound would have been the winner, seeing as how it has already gotten great success over the web.

I think the winners were picked based on which, in the Judge(s)'s opinion, experimented with gameplay mechanics and had a fun concept. It's *all* about experimenting with new and untested gameplay mechanics. When we finished IceBoy and had some overall positive feedback, this assured me that the concept of creating bridges and walls with the mouse was a good one, and it would probably be successful if implemented well. And even if the game had failed, we would have had that ice creating mechanism which we could implement in another game and succeed where we failed.

So in short, what I'm trying to say is, in the next game jam, try to innovate and experiment with gameplay mechanics. Whether it fails or succeeds, you'll have some interesting data which will most certainly help you create a much better game in the future which you could then sell for thousands and wallow in fame and fortune.

MonoFlauta
MonoFlauta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 12:27:44 Reply

At 1/14/11 12:11 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Thirdly, I'd like to re-iterate the point of game jams, which I've been saying a lot. Game jams are for "rapidly prototyping video game designs and injecting new ideas into the game industry". And I think that's why the winners may seem surprising, they weren't picked based on which was the best game. In that sense, I think BearBound would have been the winner, seeing as how it has already gotten great success over the web.

I think the winners were picked based on which, in the Judge(s)'s opinion, experimented with gameplay mechanics and had a fun concept. It's *all* about experimenting with new and untested gameplay mechanics. When we finished IceBoy and had some overall positive feedback, this assured me that the concept of creating bridges and walls with the mouse was a good one, and it would probably be successful if implemented well. And even if the game had failed, we would have had that ice creating mechanism which we could implement in another game and succeed where we failed.

So in short, what I'm trying to say is, in the next game jam, try to innovate and experiment with gameplay mechanics. Whether it fails or succeeds, you'll have some interesting data which will most certainly help you create a much better game in the future which you could then sell for thousands and wallow in fame and fortune.

Yes i know about what is it, but, the one that has the fourth place, doesnt have nothing new or anything. I think all ideas where original all most of the games where funny but someones no, anyway i think your game the idea for creating bridges and everything is not really new, but you made a good use of it and made a really enjobable game in a really short period, i am happy for you but i think that some of the others games in the top, well, i cant understand why are there beeing that are a lot of games better, for example i think that Alvin Alps for being made in 72 hours, was epic, is not the newest idea, but has original things and the graphics where good, the programming too and all the logic thing of how each level has to be beaten also.
I mean with all this that a lot of games that had a really good chance of being in top 5 didnt meanwhile others that really a really small % of people liked and they werent well programmed or wasnt an original idea, won that place.
Just that, anyway i am happy for the winners and i didnt wanted the price, well i wanted, but i wanted more to know awesome people like my artist for example an with that be able to start working with other awesome people, something that before the jam was something that i never though i would had possibilities :/

Anyway, congratulation for the winners and good luck for everyone in the movie jam :)

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 2 Results 2011-01-14 12:51:21 Reply

At 1/14/11 12:27 PM, MonoFlauta wrote: Yes i know about what is it, but, the one that has the fourth place, doesnt have nothing new or anything. I think all ideas where original all most of the games where funny but someones no, anyway i think your game the idea for creating bridges and everything is not really new, but you made a good use of it and made a really enjobable game in a really short period

And that's the whole point, execution, something I've failed with countless times in the past. (And is still subjective with how IceBoy seems to have unbalanced difficulty)

And like you said, what matters is that you got to meet talented people with whom you'll hopefully create awesome games in the future.

And I forgot to say this in my previous post, I thoroughly enjoyed your game, and I'm not just saying that. I think it honestly kept me entertained the most, and was the only one I came back to again more than once. I think it was just made from a different perspective. Most teams thought of a gameplay mechanic, and made a game around that. You thought of a genre and made a game around *that*. Did I nail that right?