New Topic Respond to this Topic
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 13th, 2011 @ 10:40 PM Reply

Very nice. Only bad thing is, this thread is making me hungry.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 15th, 2011 @ 09:19 PM Reply

I bet watching you prepare these dishes is art in of itself.

VIDEOS >:0!

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 16th, 2011 @ 05:12 AM Reply

At 1/13/11 10:39 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I'd love to try a dish and attempt to name where all the flavours come from.
I have a rather fair sense of taste.

Id love to just eat them.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 16th, 2011 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Hopefully I'll have some desserts coming up later this week!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Feb. 14th, 2011 @ 09:15 PM Reply

Chicken Congee:

Chicken:

Season a chicken breast with salt and powdered ginger. Sear skin until crisp and golden brown, then flip and cook until done. You may finish it in the oven if necessary.

Broth:

Start with 2 cups of chicken stock for every cup you will need to end with. Simmer with ginger until its half the volume. Season with salt and strain the ginger.

Garnishes:

Finely shred napa cabbage, steam some rice, fry thinly sliced lotus root chips, mince red bell pepper, blanch bean sprouts in your broth, blanch an oyster mushroom in your broth, rinse off some dried black bean and blanch VERY breifly, fry a thinly sliced ginger chip

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 08:49 PM Reply

Bulgogi:

Beef:

Marinade flank steaks in say sauce, water, mirin, sugar, scallions, garlic, and shallots for 3 hours. Grill until desired doneness is reached.

Salad:

Whisk rice wine vinegar, salt, dijon mustard, and sesame oil until emulsified. dress romaine or green leaf lettuce. Top with toasted sesame seeds.

Lime soy Pudding:

Combine soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, and honey until desired flavor is reached. Make a slurry with cornstarch and a little bit of your mixture. heat over high and slowly add the slurry until you have a very thick sauce. after cooling, run through a sieve to keep it smooth.

Roasted Garlic Siracha:

roast garlic in the oven for about 45 mintues. put through a sieve and combine with siracha, heavy cream, and honey.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Feb. 16th, 2011 @ 08:50 PM Reply

An Exploration of Thai Flavors:

Rice Noodles:

Soak rice noodles in cold water until pliable, then blanch for 15 seconds. remove and coat with sesame oil, salt, and toasted sesame seeds.

Fresh Herb Salad:

Cut some fresh basil into bite sized pieces, add a little cilantro leaf, shredded carrots, and diced lime. Make a dressing out of sweet chili sauce, coconut milk, honey, lime juice, and palm vinegar. Lightly cover herb salad with dressing.

Shrimp:

Blanch in a lemongrass and anise infused vegetable stock.

Rice Noodle 'Cannoli':

Wrap blanched rice noodles around a cannoli form and deep fry until crispy. Remove from the form (carefully) when cooled. in a saucepan, add minced basil, cilantro, coconut milk, salt, minced shrimp, mint, and minced ginger. Cool until done. Carefully stuff the cannoli with the shrimp mixture.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Dec. 27th, 2011 @ 02:28 PM Reply

Raspberry, Many Accompaniments:

(God there is a lot of stuff on this dish)

Raspberry coulis:

Push raspberries through a sieve. Sweeten to taste.

Rum Mint Syrup:

Bring rum and sugar to a boil and reduce until thickened. Remove from heat and add mint. Let steep for three minutes, then remove mint and strain through a chinoise.

Black Pepper Gelee:

Bring water and whole black peppercorns to a boil. Meanwhile, bloom some gelatin in cold water for several minutes. After the black pepper water takes on a noticeable black pepper flavor, strain the black pepper water and sweeten to taste. When the sweetened black pepper water cools to 160F, add bloomed gelatin and stir until dissolved. Cool until it sets (do not put in the freezer, as it will weaken the gelatin structure. It is best to cool at room temperature for as long as possible for the best texture.)

White Chocolate Pebbles:

Melt white chocolate over a double boiler. Keep warm. Heat sugar in a pan with enough water to get the texture or wet sand. Heat the sugar on high heat until it turns a very light brown. Immediately remove it from heat and add white chocolate. Whisk vigorously.

Lime Milk Pudding:

Boil milk on high heat, stirring and skimming often.once reduced by half, add lime juice to taste. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Make a cornstarch slurry with milk and cornstarch, then slowly add to milk lime mixture, stirring constantly, until it gets really thick. Remove from heat and cool until it reaches a pudding texture.

Anise Spun Sugar:

Bring sugar, water, and a couple cloves of star anise to a boil. Once most of the water is evaporated, remove the anise. Continue to boil the sugar until it just starts to color. Immediately remove from heat. Using a fork while the sugar is still hot, dip the fork in the sugar and whip the fork back and forth in a swift motion, repeatedly (Making sure not to get let the sugar touch you). The sugar will stream off the fork and cool into a solid strand of sugar.

Garnishes:

Candied Orange Zest:

Fine julliene the zest of an orange. Bring a simple syrup (one part water, one part sugar) to a boil, and blanch the zest for 10 seconds. Remove the zest and discard the syrup. Repeat the blancing process.

Lime Powder: Using a microplane, zest a lime and set on a sheet pan to dry completely. This will take a while. After dry, crush between fingers to make a powder.

My art showcase!

OzoneGhost
OzoneGhost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Dec. 27th, 2011 @ 02:31 PM Reply

This is very good YES.

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Dec. 27th, 2011 @ 02:49 PM Reply

Japanese Pumpkin, Sage, Cherry, Butter:

Pumpkin Puree:

Sous Vide Pumpkin, Sage, and Butter at 175F for 2 hours. Remove from sous vide bag and push through a tamis. Season with salt to taste.

Brown Butter Sauce:

Cook butter over medium high heat until the milk solids in the butter are golden brown. In a bowl whisk a little bit of heavy cream with an egg yolk until well incorporated. slowly whisk in brown butter until a very thick sauce is formed. If you notice the sauce starting to break, add more heavy cream and whisk really hard.

Ginger Braised Red Cherries:

Bring water and baby ginger to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain the ginger water, add honey, sugar, a touch of salt, and dried red cherries. Simmer until almost no liquid is left in the pan.

Pecan Crusted Pumpkin:

Grind Pecans in a spice grinder until it starts to clump to itself (almost to a pecan butter). Remove the larger chunks. Sous Vide a small rectangle of pumpkin with a little maple syrup and butter for 2 hours at 175F. Once finished, top pumpkin with a layer of the pecan mixture and lightly season with salt.

Pecan filled with Maple Almond Custard:

Sous Vide a large thick peice of pumpkin with maple syrup and butter at 175F for two hours. remove and cut into a circle with a cookie cutter. Cut a hole out of the middle of that round with a smaller cookie cutter. Heat oven to 250F. Mix eggs, egg yolks, maple syrup (real maple syrup please), almond milk, and a little salt until well incorporated. Put the pumpkin rounds on a silicone baking mat and fill with the custard filling. Bake in 250F oven until the custard is just set. remove from oven and trim any overflown custard.

Pomegranate Sage Reduction:

Reduce Pomegranate juice on high heat. until it is thickened. Remove from heat, and add sage. Let steep until the reduction takes on a noticable hint of sage. Remove sage and strain the reduction through a chinoise.

Prosciutto Crisp:

Heat oven to 350F. Using as thinly sliced a sheet of prosciutto as possible, cook prosciutto sheets on a silicone baking mat in the oven until they are crisp. Remove and let cool.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 11th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

Red Snapper - Sashimi, Traditional Accompaniments:

God where do I start?

Red Snapper:

Slice very thin

Cucumber Gelee:

Remove Skins from english cucumbers and juice them. Add 1/4 of the juice to a pan with some gelatin and heat until the gelatin melts. Combine with the rest of the uncooked juice, add salt and sugar, and cool until set.

Gari Sphere:

Heat water, sugar, salt, and calcium lactate gluconate in a pan and bring to a boil until all is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add ginger and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain through a chinoise and add rice wine vinegar. Freeze in hemisphere molds. Prepare a bath of water, sugar, and sodium alginate. Drop frozen gari hemispheres into alginate bath for 3-5 minutes. Rinse well and store.

Sesame Powder:

Combine sesame oil, salt, and tapioca maltodextrin, whisk until it reaches the desired consistancy.

Wasabi foam:

Heat water, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Remove from heat. Steep grated wasabi for 15 minutes. Strain through a chinoise and cool. Add soy lecithin and whip into a foam with an immersion blender.

Red Pepper Chip:

Seed and rib peppers. Remove inner membrane and add to blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 105F for 8 hours, or until crisp.

Ponzu:

Combine Soy Sauce, Xanthan Gunm, Agar Agar, Lime Juice, and sugar in a pan and heat until everything is dissolved. Cool and let set. Once set, blend in a blender until smooth. Strain through a chinoise.

Compressed Daikon:

Vaccum seal daikon with a simple syrup and salt blend. Let marinade for 4 hours.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 07:22 PM Reply

Watermelon - Pineapple, Basil, Creme Fraiche:

Watermelon:

Slice planks 1 x 4 x .5 inches and cut 3/4" cubes.

Pineapple:

Cut right triangles out of pineapple and juice the rest of the pineapple. Add .75% by weight of soy lecithin, .5% by weight of salt, and 2.5% by weight of sugar to the pineapple juice and whisk until everything is dissolved.

Macadamia Tuiles:

Puree Macademia nut until smooth, add sugar and whisk until combined. Add flour then whisk until combined. Add egg white and whisk until combined. Add water to thin to proper consistancy. Spread on a silicone baking mat and bake until flexible but fully baked. Shape into whatever you like (I did a circle and some triangles). Cool until crisp and set.

Nutmeg pudding:

Boil water, sugar, and salt, then remove from heat. Add freshly ground nutmeg and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain through a chinoise. Whisk in 1.5% by weight of agar agar and put on medium heat. Simmer for one minute and chill until set. Once the gel is set, blend on high until smooth and puddinglike in consistancy.

Braised Mustard Seed:

Add honey, salt, sugar, and water into a pan with mustard seed. Boil for 5 minutes, then cover and let steep for an hour.

Creme fraiche: Sweeten creme fraiche with sugar. Spread a 3/16" layer of creme fraiche on a silicone mat and freeze. Whip the rest of the creme fraiche until it's the right consistancy.

Basil Granita:

Blanch basil and set in ice water to cool. Combine blanched basil, simple syrup, and ice water in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Strain through a chinoise and freeze. Once frozen, scrape with a fork until slushy.

Honeyed Brandy Sphere:

Reduce honeyed brandy by half, and replace that half with water (this evaporates most of the alcohol while keeping the flavor strength similar). Add calcium lactate and salt, and warm while whisking until everything is dissolved. Freeze in hemisphere molds. Add water, sugar, and sodium alginate into a pan and combine with an immersion blender. Put onto high heat and continue blending until everything is dissolved. Once brandy is frozen, drop into sodium alginate solution for a few minutes, then remove, rinse, and store in any leftover calcium-brandy solution.

Garnish with basil, fresno chile powder, and flake salt

My art showcase!

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to My art showcase! Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 1/16/12 07:22 PM, Ironchefgriffin wrote: Watermelon - Pineapple, Basil, Creme Fraiche:

Wow, as always, such excellent presentation.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Avocado - Citrus, White Chocolate, Cilantro:

Avocade Mousse:

Squeeze some lime juice. Put avocado through a fine seive and immeditately whisk in lime juice to prevent oxidation. Combine seived avocado and heavy whipping cream, season with sugar and just a touch of salt until flavor is right. Put into an iSi whip and add nitrogen canister. Pipe into a container and refrigerate.

Tangerine Sauce:

Squeeze tangerine juice, and a touch of grapefruit juice. Season with just a bit of sugar and salt, and blend on high, adding Ultra-Tex 3 until a thick nappe consistancy is reached.

Orange Powder:

Microplane orange zest and dehydrate. Grind orange zest in a spice grinder and put through a fine chinois. Individually grind sugar, salt, and citric acid in a spice grinder until they are fine poweders. Season the powdered orange zest until flavor is right.

Lemon Powder:

Same as above, but with lemon zest.

Lime Powder:

Same as above, but with lime zest.

Candied Lemon Zest:

Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the zest in a 2" long strip. using a sharp knife, cut away the white pith and slice the lemon zest into 1/16 x 2" strips. Bring simple syrup to a boil and remove from heat. Blanch the lemon zest strips in simple syrup for 1 minute, then remove zest. Put zest into a bowl with about 1/2" of sugar in the bottom, and toss the zest in the sugar until coated. Dehydrate.

Candied Grapefruit:
Peel all zest and pith from grapefruit, and cut segments. Cut the segments in half and dehydrate for 1 hour. Sprinkle sugar over grapefruit and dehydrate for 2 additional hours

White Chocolate Rock:

Melt 110g of white chocolate, and add 30g of avocado oil. Combine with 40g of Tapioca Maltodextrin and 3g of finely ground salt. Compress in a vacuum sealer bag until the mass is solid and breakable.

Caramelized White Chocolate Custard:

Vacuum seal white chocolate in a vacuum bag and boil for 2 - 3 hours. combine with half and half until the proper flavor is reached, then add 0.65% by weight of Iota Carageenan. Blend until the mixture reaches over 170F and pour into a container to set.

Cilantro Puree:

Blanch a lot more cilantro than you think you will need for 1 minute in boiling water. Immediately remove to an ice water bath to shock. In a blender, combine cilantro with simple syrup and blend until smooth. You may need to add ice cubes to the blender to keep the mixture from getting too hot. Strain through a fine chinois and add back into a clean blender. Blend in enough Ultra-tex 3 to bring the mixture to a light nappe consistancy and season with salt and sugar.

Candied Cilantro Stem:

Cut 1" strips of cilantro stem and blanchin simple syrup. Remove the stems to a bowl with sugar in the bottom, and toss to coat the stems in sugar. Dehydrate.

Cilantro Leaves:

Pick really nice, small cilantro leaves.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! May. 10th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

Salmon - Springtime Sashimi:

Salmon: Sear very quickly on high heat, only on the top side. Slice thin and rearrange to original form.

Lemon Caper Foam: Combine 35g lemon juice, 10g caper brine, 90g water, 8.5g sugar, and 1.5g soy lecithin in a container and blend with an immersion blender. Use a filtered foam pump to make foam

Caramel Apple Yogurt: caramelize 60g of sugar, and combine with 200g apple juice. Reduce to a thick syrup, and combine with 100g yogurt.

Fennel: Reduce 200g of white wine by half. Add 200g of Apple Juice and 3g of salt. Cut fennel thin with a mandoline and compress the fennel with the wine apple mixture in a chamber vacuum sealer.

Dehydrated capers: Strain and rinse capers. Put into a dehydrator for 6 hours at 155F

Rice Paper Chips: In 350F oil, fry very small fragments of rice paper. Season with salt and store in dehydrator.

Braised Mustard Seed: Put 25g yellow mustard seed, 25g brown mustard seed, 50g apple juice, 200g water, 3g salt, 15g sugar, and 20g rice vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until there is almost no liquid left in saucepan.

Garnishes: Segment grapefruit, out of every 3 segments, cut one in half. Slice cucumber very thin on a mandoline until you reach the seeds. Remove the skin. 3 small sprigs of dill per plate, 3 fennel fronds per plate, 3 orchid blossom petal halves per plate, 3 pieces of frisee per plate.

My art showcase!

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to My art showcase! May. 11th, 2013 @ 02:20 AM Reply

Looks delicious. What kind of lighting are you using? It looks fluorescent, and I can't help feeling like something warmer would look a lot less sterile.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! May. 11th, 2013 @ 12:34 PM Reply

At 5/11/13 02:20 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Looks delicious. What kind of lighting are you using? It looks fluorescent, and I can't help feeling like something warmer would look a lot less sterile.

Yeah, I think they are. I want something thats close to the suns light color because food looks best in natural light, but I'm no expert in photography so I work with what I can find.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to My art showcase! May. 11th, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

Some warmer bulbs will help, but you can also try changing the white balance in your camera and even running the photos through some warming filters in photoshop. See what works.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature