New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
My art showcase! 2011-01-12 03:00:35 Reply

I thought the art portal needed a little diversity in its artwork types, so I decided to upload MY art.

http://ironchefgriffin.newgrounds.com/ar t/

Let me know what you think!

And before you say anything:

Q: No photographs? What about a photo of a painting I did in real life?
A: A photograph of a sculpture, painting, or some other piece of art you have made are in fact exceptions to this rule. Feel free to submit scans and photographs of your art if it's not already in a digital format.

This is food art!!!

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 03:03:06 Reply

Post your art in the forum and don't link somewhere else. Please consult DA RULES. Although I have to say it looks pretty, but I'm not sure if it's legit or not.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 03:09:14 Reply

Whoops, my bad. What do you mean by legit? As in whether or not I made it? Or whether or not its allowed in the art portal?

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 03:13:09 Reply

At 1/12/11 03:09 AM, Ironchefgriffin wrote: Whoops, my bad. What do you mean by legit? As in whether or not I made it? Or whether or not its allowed in the art portal?

I'm not sure. I won't say anything because I might be wrong. I'm sure a moderator will clear things up sooner or later.

BBS Signature
3abden
3abden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 04:29:30 Reply

Awesome idea, please keep posting more and keep em in one thread.

My art thread!
Clicky for my DA!

BBS Signature
Zodape
Zodape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 08:34:59 Reply

Wow... I wasn't expecting that... but... I guess it's art.
Keep it up! ;3

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 08:48:27 Reply

The art of food, now that's something definitely new and unique.
Don't know if it's portal acceptable or not, but definitely something cool in the forums.

Rhunyc
Rhunyc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 09:17:18 Reply

At 1/12/11 08:51 AM, Jow279 wrote: imo, it's totally aceptable,.

Agreed, it's similar to molding clay and stuff such as that. Just edible.

"Now, I've chased this dream to do what I love - and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. I threw away what naysayers say, and started on a race that I had to win for myself."

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 10:52:22 Reply

So, do you mind including the pictures in this thread, as well as a recipe for each dish?

They look delicious, especially the rabbit.
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 12:06:07 Reply

Sure I could include the pics in the thread, but as far as recipes go, I could inly give rough instructions. I just kind of throw shit together as I go along haha.

Rabbit en Vermouth Demiglace:

Rabbit:

Debone one rabbit. Wrap the tenderloin of the rabbit in the breastmeat and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes. Remove the silver skin from the strip loin of the rabbit, season with salt and cover top with dijon mustard (prefferably a dijon with whole or cracked seeds intact). Then cover with panko breadcrumbs. French the ribs of the rabbit and season with salt and black pepper. make a liquid consisting of vermouth, white wine, brandy, veal stock, dijon mustard, 1 peice of star anise, mustard seed, celery seed, black pepper, and salt. Debone and sear the lower portion of the rabbit legs in a hot pan and remove them to the braising liquid. Over medium heat, simmer the rabbit legs until done. Sear the rack of rabbit in hot oil. Roast the breast wrapped tenderloin and the dijon crusted strip loin until done (the tenderloin will be done before the strip loin).

Vermouth dijon demiglace:

After rabbit legs are finished simmering, transfer one cup of liquid to a saucepan and reduce until there is about 1.5 oz remaining. Whisk in 3 tbl of butter and 1 tbl of heavy cream.

Tomato, onion, and Balsamic Jam:

Remove the seeds and center portion of roma tomatoes. Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes. After roasting, remove the skin and mince. Mince red onions and add to a pan with butter, olive oil, and basil. Cook over medium high heat until the onions start to turn brown. Add vermouth to the pan and stir. After most of the vermouth has evaporated, add the tomato, a little bit of sugar and salt. cook over med-high heat for about 5 minutes and add a little balsamic vinegar. Cook until a thick shapable mixture forms.

Mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus should be pretty simple for most anyone to do.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 12:24:10 Reply

At 1/12/11 08:34 AM, Zodape wrote: Wow... I wasn't expecting that... but... I guess it's art.
Keep it up! ;3

My art is 45% less coherent than most art, but infinitely more delicous :3

Beets and Chevre:

Beets:

Roast beets until tender. Peel and season with salt. cut into 1/4 inch medalions.

Chevre (Goat cheese):

Chill the chevre. Slice into 1/4 inch medallions roughly the same diameter as the beets.

Beet greens:

Saute beet greens in butter and season with salt and pepper. Add heavy cream to finish.

Citrus compote:

Peel and julliene the tangerine zest. Supreme the tangerine and dice the meat. Choffonade basil and almonds. Make a vinaigrette with the tangerines juice and olive oil. Mix all ingredients together and season with cayenne pepper, salt, and sugar.

Tangerine reduction:

Reduce juice of 1 tangerine in a saucepan by 3/4. Add a little sugar and cornstarch slurry until it reaches proper thickness.

Beet reduction:

Blend 1/2 a roasted beet in the blender with water until a smooth mixture forms. strain through a chinoise or fine mesh strainer. Reduce strained juice and a little red wine by 3/4 and season with cayenne pepper, salt, and sugar.

My art showcase!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-12 12:24:56 Reply

I can almost smell the goodness.

AethosGames
AethosGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 11:19:03 Reply

Next!

Bacon n' Eggs:

Soft Boiled Egg:

Add an egg into cold salted water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 7 - 10 minutes. CAREFULLY remove the shell and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. (Soft boiling eggs is really difficult to do, but the recipe wont be too diminished if you just hard-boil them)

Fried basil:

In a small saucepan, add about 1/2 inch of oil to the bottom and heat to 350 F. Drop a nice basil leaf into the pan and fry for about 4 - 6 seconds. Remove from pan and season with salt immediately.

Prosciutto:

Fry prosciutto until crisp. Season with black pepper.

White wine emulsion:

Saute minced shallots and garlic in a pan with a little butter. when the garlic starts to turn brown, add white wine to pan and reduce until pan is almost dry. Slowly whisk in cold butter over medium heat. Blend an egg yolk and heavy cream. When enough butter has been whisked in, slowly whisk in heavy cream and butter mixture. Season with salt, cayenne pepper and white pepper and cook for another minute.

My art showcase!

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 11:20:09 Reply

Whoops, forgot to go into my chef profile first :\

Batto
Batto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 11:38:07 Reply

At 1/12/11 12:24 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I can almost smell the goodness.

I wish I could taste the goodness

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 11:51:40 Reply

Next!

Seared Lamb Tenderloin:

Tenderloin

Season Lamb Tenderloin with cracked pepper. Wrap Tenderloin in bacon and sear on all sides.

Steamed Asparagus:

Steam asparagus, season with sea salt.

Sage-honey glazed carrots:

Jullienne carrots and rough mince sage. In a saute pan, add 1/4 inch layer of honey. Add another 1/4 inch layer of white wine and water. Lightly season with salt and put over med-high heat. Add carrot jullienne and sage and cook until done.

Lamb Sauce:

Make a brown roux and add it to hot brown lamb stock. add dijon mustard and shallots and simmer until done. Season with salt and black pepper. Finish with butter and cream.

My art showcase!

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 12:01:36 Reply

and...

Braised Cabbage 'Cannoli':

Choux Rouge (Red Cabbage):

Mince shallots and garlic. Shred red apple and acidulate with champagne vinegar and calvados. Dice red onion and leek. Large chiffonade red cabbage. Heat a saute pan with butter to high heat and sautee the onions, leeks, shallots, and garlic. After its somewhat caramelized, deglaze pan with calvados, champagne vinegar, white wine, a little red wine, a little vegetable stock, and a little balsamic vinegar. Add apples and cabbage and stir until coated. Cook in a 350F oven for 2 hours.

Root vegetable purees:

Dice carrot and boil in lightly salted water until done. push cooked carrots through a fine mesh sieve and season with salt and white pepper. Finish with a splash of heavy cream.
Dice turnip and boil in lightly salted water until done. push cooked turnips through a fine mesh sieve and season with salt and white pepper. Finish with a splash of heavy cream.

Saffron cream:

Bloom saffron in warm white wine. Simmer mixture until reduced by half and add cream. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.

My art showcase!

AethosGames
AethosGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 13:37:26 Reply

Also, I've got some desserts on the way! I should have 2 or 3 within the course of the next couple weeks.

BBS Signature
maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 13:57:05 Reply

These are wonderful works of art. I've stared at each of these pictures for quite a while, possibly longer than I've ever looked at any picture in the portal. Thought I'd share that..

Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 14:29:06 Reply

At 1/13/11 01:57 PM, maficmelody wrote: These are wonderful works of art. I've stared at each of these pictures for quite a while, possibly longer than I've ever looked at any picture in the portal. Thought I'd share that..

<3 Aww.... shucks. Thanks! :D

CMlive
CMlive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 14:57:20 Reply

It looks nice! :)

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 15:54:22 Reply

is anyone else really hungry right now?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 17:49:32 Reply

At 1/13/11 03:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: is anyone else really hungry right now?

As a matter of fact, I am :\

Also, thanks to Twilight for the scout! :3

I am honored!

Piggler
Piggler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 18:14:44 Reply

Miniscule portions for huge sums of money. What's not to love?

BBS Signature
Ironchefgriffin
Ironchefgriffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 18:39:31 Reply

At 1/13/11 06:14 PM, Piggler wrote: Miniscule portions for huge sums of money. What's not to love?

Don't be hatin' :C

Allow me to explain why portions are so small at really nice restaurants and the common misconceptions about them:

There are scientific reasons that portions sizes are so small at fine dining restaurants. The first bite of a dish is the most physically and mentally stimulating. The reason that portions are so small in fine dining is to prevent the diner's palate from getting 'bored' of the dish.

In any fine dining restaurant worth their salt, they have lots of courses to a meal (which remedies the small portion sizes). A standard tasting menu usually runs 8 - 15 courses, I've seen them go up to 45!!! This is also one of the reasons for an exorbitant price tag.

Another reason for an exorbitant price tag is the meticulous preparation and level of detail that goes into every dish and the quality level of the ingredients. They just plain cost more to prepare than most restaurants dishes.

I usually like to compare fine dining restaurants to concerts or sporting events. Why go to a concert when you can just buy the CD? Why go to a sporting event when you can watch it at home on your TV? The answer is simple: The experience is leagues different.

You go to a diner to fill up the tank, but going to The French Laundry or any similar fine dining restaurant isn't about getting full. Its about experiencing flavors and textures that you've never seen or tasted before. Fine cuisine can evoke strong emotions and feelings that normal food cant. Its romantic, its exotic, its unusual. You aren't just buying food when you go there, you are buying memories and an experience.

You aren't paying $15 for just a bit of food, you're paying for a piece of art that you can experience will all of your senses.

Wow, look at me rant. Thats enough I guess ;)

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 19:17:27 Reply

At 1/13/11 06:39 PM, Ironchefgriffin wrote:

Wow, look at me rant. Thats enough I guess ;)

Don't think of it as "ranting". An artist has a right to defend his art, and you've done a beautiful job of that. This is a complaint that has always bothered me when people show disrespect for finer dining; the point of food isn't always to get one full, just as the point of music isn't just to give people a beat to dance to or sing along to. These are artforms, and can present oh so much more to the mind and senses.

For a more "art forum" oriented example of "why": compare owning an original painting by an extremely talented artist, say, Greg Simkins. (Using a personal favorite here as an example). Then take buying posters to cover one's walls. Compare the two; one provides a significantly greater amount of decoration and can still give someone's place a great appearance, while the other covers significantly less wall-space for WAY more money. Would you say that people who buy paintings are idiots?
I wouldn't. The fact that someone put massive amounts of thought, talent, and work into it, and that it's the only one of its kind and has so much more artistic integrity than a poster makes that painting a far superior form of decoration, especially in that it can be more than simply decoration as a work of art.

I like what you're doing here, sir, in bringing something vastly different to Newgrounds.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 20:32:49 Reply

Great stuff mate. It looks very good. Keep posting more. I love the color assortment on every dish.

BBS Signature
maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 21:10:11 Reply

At 1/13/11 06:39 PM, Ironchefgriffin wrote:
At 1/13/11 06:14 PM, Piggler wrote: Miniscule portions for huge sums of money. What's not to love?
Don't be hatin' :C

(reasons to not be hatin')

Nicely put.

"...you are buying memories and an experience." = poetry. Damn, could only wonder how the menu will read.

AethosGames
AethosGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 22:37:19 Reply

My menu will be pretty simple actually; little more than a list of main flavors as to avoid preconceptions. I want to surprise the diner and let the food to speak for itself ;)

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to My art showcase! 2011-01-13 22:39:23 Reply

I'd love to try a dish and attempt to name where all the flavours come from.

I have a rather fair sense of taste.