New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2011-05-14 00:36:43 Reply

At 4/28/11 04:41 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Slenderman up in this bitch, also done during school.

Holy fucking shit its slender man son of a bitch. XD

-warwicks on the prowl, aww fuck man I know i'm dead-

go to my ill named thread here.

silversunned
silversunned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2011-05-14 02:40:12 Reply

the shading seems very Minimal with this piece, I mean if that is a blue flame in his hand the character should have a blue glow on him too just from the flame and then a darker shading on the opposite side of his face/body because of where the light-source seems to be

Danopus
Danopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2011-05-14 08:49:35 Reply

At 5/13/11 11:54 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: I apparently have a bad habit of drawing people with heads that are too big and not noticing it until it's too late to fix.

Anyways, I used to play soooo much Fable 2 and decided to make this.

I wanted to make will lines but i'm exhausted and sick of looking at it.

Ok, theres a lot that's good about this piece, and a lot that could be improved.

First and foremost, anatomy. Anatomy is key to ANY drawing of a living creature. Specifically the issue I'm seeing with your fellow here is head to shoulder ratio. You should be able to fit about 3 and a half heads along his shoulder, and you could just about fit two on that guy. Without a doubt you need to broaden the shoulders, and perhaps shrink the neck. Also, the pose doesn't look very fluid; fixing this is very simple, just make the muscles a tad, it looks as if he's putting every ounce of muscle strength into just standing there. The left arm (our left) could be fixed by in fact making the muscles look larger and more tense in contrast, as he would be putting a lot of effort into holding the hammer up, whereas in his right (our right still) arm, he would have little to no effort producing a little blue flame and holding his arm in that position.

Next, the lower body: you need to slope his midriff in ever so slightly, and humans are not 100% straight lines. It should be subtle however, don't go giving him girl hips. His legs should be wider apart, and he needs a lower centre of gravity, otherwise he would NOT be able to be holding the hammer like that. You'd probably want him holding it further up the handle too, as a hammer with that weight would snap his wrist if he held it like that. His left hand (our left) should be a bit bigger, but with the knuckles not visible, and only the third and some of the section segments of the finger showing.

Finally, add a little bit of contrast and depth to his clothes, some folds, and perhaps make the outline of his fingers slightly distorted (the lines showing through the fire) and change them to bit a little bit blue in that are (there should be an opacity lock in the program you're using; play around with the lock option in your program to find this useful setting)

I can see quite a bit of improvement from the start of this thread, so keep up the good work, meatball!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-02-26 17:42:39 Reply

Well fuck me it's been a year since I last posted here and this thread appalls me. I wrestled for awhile over whether I should make a new thread or resurrect this one, and ultimately I decided to bump this so I can watch myself improve.

So anyways, here's Sherlock Holmes with an expression that basically shows how I felt about my old art.

I still don't have coloring quite down because I don't practice it very often, but I think it's still a bit of an improvement.

DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-02-26 17:44:28 Reply

20 minute self portrait for kicks and giggles, a bit outdated now because I no longer have my teenager goatee.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-02-27 00:38:16 Reply

At 6 hours ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: 20 minute self portrait for kicks and giggles, a bit outdated now because I no longer have my teenager goatee.

Alright, this is just a quick tip that I want to sure right now - your linework, right now? We have a word for that, and it's called "chickenscratch". It's a hard habit to get out of, but for your own sake you really want to practice confident linework - long bold strokes as compared to nervous little ones.

Otherwise, keep at it - you're off to a solid start and I'd love this thread evolve, dig it?

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-02-28 14:50:35 Reply

At 1 day ago, Lintire wrote:
At 6 hours ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: 20 minute self portrait for kicks and giggles, a bit outdated now because I no longer have my teenager goatee.
Alright, this is just a quick tip that I want to sure right now - your linework, right now? We have a word for that, and it's called "chickenscratch". It's a hard habit to get out of, but for your own sake you really want to practice confident linework - long bold strokes as compared to nervous little ones.

Otherwise, keep at it - you're off to a solid start and I'd love this thread evolve, dig it?

Thanks for the heads up. I try not to do chickenscratch but it's very hard for me to avoid; not just because it's become a habit, but also because my hands shake like Michael J. Fox on a rickety bridge during an earthquake. Nonetheless, my work is using cleaner than that particular piece, I had just been rushing to try and get it done fast to challenge myself and ended up liking the end result.

I don't have any more completed digital work and i'm not particularly happy with most of what's in my sketchbook, but I don't feel like I should bump without any art, so here's a picture of Dom from Gears of War that I scanned in and did, like, a quarter of the line art for before deciding I didn't want to. His arms are a bit wonky and something with the gun is wrong, but I was very happy with it when I made it, so what the heck.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-05-21 19:21:05 Reply

It's time for what has become my every couple month art thread bump yaaaaaaayyy

Anyways here's a finished thingy of a character i'm designing. I'm trying to keep my line art more clean, but I got pretty lazy with the body, in terms of line art and coloring. My main focus with the whole thing, though, was to get a strong grip on his face and to practice shading.

I'll be back with more in, like, 3 months if my updating habits stay the same.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-06-27 17:16:46 Reply

Jesus christ my older art appalls me. And now I feel like people are gonna look at the first page and just decide i'm terrible.

Anyways, summer is here so i'll be artisting more often. Here's some BBC's Sherlock sketches. If it's not already clear, it will eventually become very obvious that I love Sherlock Holmes.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit 2012-06-27 17:24:17 Reply

I saw the Avengers a second time and adore every role Robert Downey Jr does. Tony Stark is no exception.

I messed up the whole body and the chest on the colored one because I rushed through it, I only added it because I was worried that without the arc reactor people wouldn't recognize him. That's not really an excuse, just my explanation.