New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 26th, 2011 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 4/25/11 11:55 PM, Matkingos wrote: What program are you using to color your advertisement?

Photoshop.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 26th, 2011 @ 05:23 PM Reply

I decided to spare newgrounds the horror of reading the cheesy line that i'm going to actually put in the copy I turn in, but the ad is finished.

On an unrelated note, how exactly does one go about doing line art? I've got a tablet and such, but I don't know whether you make a new layer but can somehow still see the scanned picture, or something else.

DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 26th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 4/26/11 05:23 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: I decided to spare newgrounds the horror of reading the cheesy line that i'm going to actually put in the copy I turn in, but the ad is finished.

On an unrelated note, how exactly does one go about doing line art? I've got a tablet and such, but I don't know whether you make a new layer but can somehow still see the scanned picture, or something else.

You should use Helvetica for the font.
Everything looks better with Helvetica.

BBS Signature
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 26th, 2011 @ 11:52 PM Reply

I love your style :) Very funny.

Good comics too! I feel that if I were to make a comic people would be disgusted just because I have a really fucked up mind... so I better stay away from comics.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 27th, 2011 @ 10:45 PM Reply

Today I learned two things. The basics of doing lineart, and that lineart is goddamn boring.

Here's the beginning of a cartoon of myself i'm making, i'll color it tomorrow.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 28th, 2011 @ 12:33 AM Reply

And color.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 28th, 2011 @ 04:39 PM Reply

Posing done during school.

Looseleaf paper scans horribly.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 28th, 2011 @ 04:41 PM Reply

Slenderman up in this bitch, also done during school.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 29th, 2011 @ 08:15 PM Reply

I'm working on learning the style used in the webcomic The Meek, starting with faces.

This was all drawn during school, so I was just drawing characters from memory, then I colored it and played with shading in photoshop.

The bottom right character isn't from The Meek, I was just playing with shading and drawing eyes. I have no clue why I didn't draw it lower.

Zodape
Zodape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 29th, 2011 @ 10:14 PM Reply

Interesting (in a good way).
Needless to say.

gassyturtle
gassyturtle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit Apr. 30th, 2011 @ 01:10 AM Reply

At 2/20/11 10:54 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Fingers crossed that the text is visible.

that happens to me all the time ,good comics

keep ur friggen eyelids down

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 1st, 2011 @ 05:47 PM Reply

I'm currently at a point where i'm considering starting a webcomic or some nonsense with art that, unlike in this thread, i'm putting a shit ton of effort into. Unfortunately, I can't even think of a story for a one-page comic right now, so I can't start anything big.

Anyways, i'm still in the middle of learning a new style, here's some faces.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 1st, 2011 @ 08:16 PM Reply

You should use this handy-dandy Euphemism Generator that someone in the lounge linked to. You know... for inspiration.

"Guess what I've been doing? That's right --laminating the nether stainless steel midget."

BBS Signature
Matkingos
Matkingos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 2nd, 2011 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 5/1/11 05:47 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: I'm currently at a point where i'm considering starting a webcomic or some nonsense with art that, unlike in this thread, i'm putting a shit ton of effort into. Unfortunately, I can't even think of a story for a one-page comic right now, so I can't start anything big.

Anyways, i'm still in the middle of learning a new style, here's some faces.

Awesome choice in using The Meek as a tutorial, but make sure you try and keep some of your own style as well!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM TIME!

1: I thinned out the face of your character (For all intents and purposes (let's call him Jim). Anyway i thinned out Jim's head and retracted his jutting jaw. I moved his ear up so that it is level with his eye, and overall just made Jim's head rounder. As for the face, i moved everything down a bit, and straightened out his mouth.

I would suggest you scrunch up the face a bit, and make it a little more rounder, expand the ears and shorten up your neck area.

2. I know this was a failed drawing (the all too familiar GIANT "X") but I decided to help you anyways.

Left of your drawing I made a sketch of basic shapes and color coded them as to what order I drew them in, Red was first, green second, and blue third. I used a circle an square for the basic shape, and then used guidelines to show where the eyes are and chin.

Its important to note that for the eyes, if you make the character slightly cross eyed he looks right at you (evident in the picture). Also, the cheeks scrunch up the eyes and give them a kind of crescent shape.

3. HANDS SUCK. Just want to say that. You should try using the basic shapes I show in this drawing this will really help in getting structure and proportion of the hands down, as for perspective... that is just practice really.

4. I couldn't really tell what the expression Jim was trying to show here, so i assumed it to be fearful. Notice the use of lines and how they emphasize the areas of the face to give it a lot more emotion. If you don't feel as if your character is really conveying the emotion properly then try adding a few well placed lines.

5. Once again, cannot really tell what emotion Jim was displaying here, so I took matters into my own hands. In order to really convey emotion, try overlapping skin with your eyes, it really helps to emphasize just what the character is feeling.

6. When a person is angry, their face definitely warps itself. Excessive use of line, and interfering with the eyes is recommended to try and express anger.

Overall I am amazed at just how much your drawing has changed over such a short period of time. As for the webcomic deal, I would advise against it at least until you have a good year under your belt and know how to digitally or manually ink things in under 3 hours otherwise it will eat up ALL of your time.

Hope this helped

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 2nd, 2011 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 07:00 PM, Matkingos wrote: A bigass helpfulass guide.

Well thank you for the tips, good sir. I agree with you on most points of this, and now I don't completely regret posting that page as I did earlier. The only face I liked at all was #1 and the pissed expression in the bottom corner. when I drew 5, i'd made a line from the tip of his nose to the end and made it look all piggy (not my first time making that mistake) so I tried to fix it real quick in paint, which didn't help. Overall, what originally was intended as a smirk became nonsense. The hands were basically an attempt at following a hand drawing tutorial, which came out O.K with the left one and was just nonsense on the right. As for #4, it was sort of a disgusted look, like kind of flinching away from something and half wrinkling his nose, though the way i'd drawn it from the front looked weird.

So thanks for the pointers. Guess i'm off to work on hands and drawing faces from the front rather than a half-profile view like I usually do. Hopefully i'll get used to this style before long and have some stuff I actually like up, since about the last page has been made up of me playing with photoshop and a new style.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Looks like you're trying to emulate Alexds' style without understanding why he puts what where.
I'd suggest checking his other tutorials, he has one on facial structure too, as well as hands and whatnot.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 08:02 PM, M-Vero wrote: Looks like you're trying to emulate Alexds' style without understanding why he puts what where.
I'd suggest checking his other tutorials, he has one on facial structure too, as well as hands and whatnot.

Good lord, thank you sir.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 2nd, 2011 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 07:00 PM, Matkingos wrote: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag w/pic

I don't wanna be a dick, man... but apart from your numero dos, I like Meatball's versions better.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:35 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 09:15 PM, Kumakun4 wrote:
At 5/2/11 07:00 PM, Matkingos wrote: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag w/pic
I don't wanna be a dick, man... but apart from your numero dos, I like Meatball's versions better.

The hands are better as well.

But, Matkingos, I do not understand why you make the lines for the cheeks so prominent. They make the character look like an old man.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Eyyy, some stuff i'm fairly happy with. Although I don't quite like the way the excited face came out, it looked good on paper, but scanned the eyes seem a little off.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 5/3/11 06:45 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Eyyy, some stuff i'm fairly happy with. Although I don't quite like the way the excited face came out, it looked good on paper, but scanned the eyes seem a little off.

For the excited face, trying placing his nostrils a bit higher and making his grin wider and higher to take up the space you made by raising the nose.
The rest of these look good!
Practice them often and the lines will eventually come naturally. That's when your own style starts to settle in.
Takes months though.
Maybe even years.

BBS Signature
silversunned
silversunned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 4th, 2011 @ 01:07 AM Reply

you extended his facial features too much but left the mouth regular size, if you want Truly excited make the nose go up a little, and make the mouth close to huge! :D :D BTW your style is very much so amusing! :D :D

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 7th, 2011 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Been a little while since I posted. Here's concept art for a character from a story I wrote a page of in English that I liked and am considering to continue, and possibly make into a comic at some point. It takes practice to not be happy with a parrot on your shoulder.

I realize his foot's weird looking, but I didn't know how else to go about doing it.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 10th, 2011 @ 10:24 PM Reply

Since i'm in the middle of two styles, i'm not particularly good at faces. I got sick of drawing them and decided to draw Daft Punk instead, and as a by-product made one of my favorite drawings and probably the most professional looking thing I've ever made.

HARDER BETTER FASTER STRONGER

Matkingos
Matkingos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 10th, 2011 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 5/7/11 09:38 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: Been a little while since I posted. Here's concept art for a character from a story I wrote a page of in English that I liked and am considering to continue, and possibly make into a comic at some point. It takes practice to not be happy with a parrot on your shoulder.

I realize his foot's weird looking, but I didn't know how else to go about doing it.

Your style is improving by leaps and bounds dude! Here are a few pointers for ya though. First off, try to make male characters between six and eight heads tall (look at the pic). Secondly try using circles for your heads instead of ovals, it will help you get a better proportioned character.

Also the Daftpunk drawing FUCKING ROCKED!

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 11th, 2011 @ 09:16 AM Reply

At 5/10/11 11:13 PM, Matkingos wrote: Your style is improving by leaps and bounds dude! Here are a few pointers for ya though. First off, try to make male characters between six and eight heads tall (look at the pic). Secondly try using circles for your heads instead of ovals, it will help you get a better proportioned character.

I dunno, I think he's got a style all his own. The oversized head thing is actually not that noticeable. Granted, the legs are short but again, I feel that may be his style. I mean, unless he's trying to go for realism. Up to him I guess.
I like your work, personally ;D
All you're missing now is experience and more assurance in your strokes, but both of those come with time and practice, I think. You're definitely on the right path though. Probably. I can't even say for sure, I'm still learning, myself :D

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 11th, 2011 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 5/11/11 09:16 AM, Kumakun4 wrote:
At 5/10/11 11:13 PM, Matkingos wrote: Your style is improving by leaps and bounds dude! Here are a few pointers for ya though. First off, try to make male characters between six and eight heads tall (look at the pic). Secondly try using circles for your heads instead of ovals, it will help you get a better proportioned character.
I dunno, I think he's got a style all his own. The oversized head thing is actually not that noticeable. Granted, the legs are short but again, I feel that may be his style. I mean, unless he's trying to go for realism. Up to him I guess.
I like your work, personally ;D
All you're missing now is experience and more assurance in your strokes, but both of those come with time and practice, I think. You're definitely on the right path though. Probably. I can't even say for sure, I'm still learning, myself :D

Well thank both you gents very much. As for character height, Matkingos is probably right. I never really noticed the head was too big and the legs too short, but now that I think about it, that's probably the thing that's been bothering me about all of my recent stuff. I'll have to work on that.

Matkingos
Matkingos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 11th, 2011 @ 04:41 PM Reply

I'm just trying to help you with your proportion. Your characters are a bit Uncanny Valley right now because of it. It might take a while before they get out of that.

Danopus
Danopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 11th, 2011 @ 05:35 PM Reply

lines are for the weak

i dont do lines because i have shaky hands, so kudos to you for being able to do them

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to DirtyMeatball's doodles and shit May. 13th, 2011 @ 11:54 PM Reply

I apparently have a bad habit of drawing people with heads that are too big and not noticing it until it's too late to fix.

Anyways, I used to play soooo much Fable 2 and decided to make this.

I wanted to make will lines but i'm exhausted and sick of looking at it.