Respond to this Topic
BoMbLu
BoMbLu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:52:27 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: For 2011 we hope to set an aggressive schedule that involves one jam EVERY MONTH, alternating between game and movie jams.

FANTASTIC!! This should keep me occupied and looking forward to work on something whenever i get my creativity blocked ;)

mindmaster123
mindmaster123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:55:01 Reply

Sounds interesting should be given a subject each month whether the authorswould have an idea of what to do

eg
January is the month of ham (just an example)

February may be the month of space

March the month of Luis

And the candidates would do a work around this and so on each year could be 12 different contests.

yeah, the Halloween in October and Christmas in December could be combined with the theme of the month for example if you talk about that in October is the month of the ocean, the contestants could do horror stories about pirate ships or whatever.

Art and Audio

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:55:09 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:46 PM, TankBeatsEverything wrote: I'm a little new to NG, can you explain to me what a Jam is?

The original NG Jams were collabs amongst artists:

But the more modern use of Jam is generally for short-timeframe events, such as weekend Game Jams. In the case of the recent NG Game Jams organized by AustinBreed, developers have been given 48 hours to make games. Teams have consisted of a mix of programmers, artists, musicians, voice actors and other wild cards.

Some of the benefits, IMO, of jams are:

1) The short time frame demands results, so successful teams will finish their projects and not risk dragging them out until someone on the team burns out (as happens with many larger projects).

2) They force people to work together, which can result in great long-term partnerships, or at the least, an education on teamwork and collaboration.

3) They give you a chance to experiment with new ideas and get your creative juices pumped for future projects.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:55:11 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/6/11 03:41 PM, Phenom9 wrote: Great! Rushed, short, unfinished, bugged and unpolished crap every month.

Just pointing out what's wrong with this jams.
The birthing process isn't always pretty - jams are a stepping stone to future partnerships and better abilities.

What people don't realize that a lot of amazing games were first crappy beta's in a jam. If I'm not mistaken, this game:

• Depict1
    Depict1 by mirosurabu

Click to view.

Type
    Game
    Rated
    Everyone

was first made in a 48 hour game jam. I remember the author talking about that, I don't think it was originally made in flash though. And look at how successful and popular that was.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be entering all the game jams in there, but I'm glad there's more of them. What I'd like to see, is more people experimenting with new and unique gameplay mechanics. Some games were done really well in the last game jams, but they didn't present anything new or untested before, gameplay-wise or otherwise. And I think that's the whole idea of the game jam, to rapidly prototype new ideas, rather than simply to see who can make the best game in 48 or 72 hours.

ribIREred
ribIREred
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:56:02 Reply

Sweeeet. NGs' jamorama, imaginative explosion! Excellent, humbling news, so much thanks Tom (I'm presently trying to burn my butt completing "less then 24 hour"animations and games... to prepare?). So thanks again (I'm looking forward to NGs' random jammin' session too... never tried it before).

FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:59:05 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:55 PM, TomFulp wrote: Some of the benefits, IMO, of jams are:

1) The short time frame demands results, so successful teams will finish their projects and not risk dragging them out until someone on the team burns out (as happens with many larger projects).

So that's what they mean when they say crash and burn when it comes to jams...

2) They force people to work together, which can result in great long-term partnerships, or at the least, an education on teamwork and collaboration.

I'm liking this already!

3) They give you a chance to experiment with new ideas and get your creative juices pumped for future projects.

Well it's a good thing that I've been saving some ideas just incase something like this comes up.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 15:59:17 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:44 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I think this idea sounds fantastic. It will truly allow many artists, programmers, musicians, writers, and animators to get their talents recognized. I honestly think, however, that each jam should give AT LEAST one week for decent games and movies to be produced. Three days just simply isn't enough time for a great game to be created, in my opinion. Sure, people have done that in the past... but dear lord the general public will find it difficult to achieve brilliance in a short amount of time.

I want to stress this again. By definition, the point of game jams are "to rapidly prototype video game designs and inject new ideas into the game industry". The point isn't making great games, it's building an experimental prototype which you can build on.

This gives you a chance to experiment as much as you'd like with little risk, rather than spending a month or more on a project and gamble on it only for it to fail.

TankBeatsEverything
TankBeatsEverything
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:00:19 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:55 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/6/11 03:46 PM, TankBeatsEverything wrote: I'm a little new to NG, can you explain to me what a Jam is?
In the case of the recent NG Game Jams organized by AustinBreed, developers have been given 48 hours to make games. Teams have consisted of a mix of programmers, artists, musicians, voice actors and other wild cards.

That sounds awesome! So it's basically a bunch of groups making their own games/movies for people to enjoy?

Kembry
Kembry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Artist
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:03:50 Reply

YOUR THE gOD !

Tycrane
Tycrane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:06:08 Reply

That's a great idea Mr. Fulp!

It's always fun to see people working together and enjoying themselves. That's what's teamwork is all about right? Anyways, can't wait to see the outcome of the first movie jam. I wonder how you'll manage to pull it off. (it might be easy for you since your a genius and all)

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:12:56 Reply

I think we should start a thread or something to organize a list of dedicated people who would like to participate in these jams. The thread should include posts from anyone who would like to participate, including their specific talents and perhaps some links to previous works they have done such as flashes, art, and music.

I also think it would be a cool idea for each Jam to have its own theme, as they have before. Maybe there could be a jam that makes games / movies that revolve around an art piece, a musical composition, or a writing of the teams choice? That would be interesting. It would be really cool to see each department be brought together into one great collab. This would also bring out some amazing gems hidden on newgrounds. I have seen some amazing things here that barely anyone has, mainly music and art.

3D-xelu
3D-xelu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:12:59 Reply

I'M TOTALY OK WITH THAT !!!!

JGL096
JGL096
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:13:18 Reply

This year newgrounds will have alot of things to do.

Newgrounds Forever! / Comment my userpage, bitch! / Add me as fan :3

BBS Signature
Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:16:58 Reply

Sounds like a good idea.

If artists have a reason to collaborate, they will, and they will end up making good animations and games which we could always use more of.

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:21:42 Reply

I think for Movie Jams that there should be at LEAST 2 artists to work cause the artwork is thee hardest part and with such limited time, people are gonna need all the help they can get.

Also this Jam idea is good

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:31:51 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:35 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote:
At 1/6/11 03:21 PM, Sequenced wrote: No Audio Jam? :(
A jam is a collaboration of people. The game jam includes audio people. But remember, this site is flash-based, so they aren't gonna really care about the audio. It's just like that =[

Meh. At least we can make audio for the gamer dudez ^_^

lel

davaca
davaca
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:32:07 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:45 PM, Rucklo wrote:
However, it would be very cool with both game and movie jams that are "audio-themed" one way or another. First things to pop in my mind are of course music-videos and musicbased games, like DDR, punk-o-matic and whatnot.

To make something based on a song, the song needs to be (almost) finished. Once it is, the musician has nothing more to do. That doesn't sound like a good idea for a jam, unless it's divided in two parts: first music, then movie/game. And that still breaks the purpose of bringing people together.

ceci n'est pas un blog.
(get it? It's a link to a blog.)

Snaws
Snaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:35:03 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: September 9-11
Movie Jam

now thots what om J R R Tolkien about!

BBS Signature
blaziken789
blaziken789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:39:50 Reply

Only movie and game jams? What about music? :/

kcnh
kcnh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:42:44 Reply

Sounds cool!

FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:43:30 Reply

At 1/6/11 03:33 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/6/11 03:21 PM, Sequenced wrote: No Audio Jam? :(
I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD ASK. I was thinking of popping one in but really we could plug one in at some point along the way.

Why not the last weekends in April?

just a suggestion

BBS Signature
JackSmack
JackSmack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:51:43 Reply

Jan 28-30 is the global game jam. Movie jam makes it hard to participate in both for some artists.

Visit JackSmack.com and submit your Flash Games!

BBS Signature
DeadEndWorldStudios
DeadEndWorldStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:52:08 Reply

I'm a little comfused. what do you man by JAm, do you mean the random teams of three or for that have three days to make a project like for the current game Jam OR something else?

Sig by ToastedToastyToast

BBS Signature
RionHunter
RionHunter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:56:44 Reply

EFFYEAH another robot day.
*begins work*

doondeka
doondeka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:58:39 Reply

Can I get warnings about this?
I'd like to receive a message about the game jam or movies jams coming, so I can say I wanna partake in it or not.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:59:23 Reply

YES, YES, YES, YES.

This is awesome.

MonoFlauta
MonoFlauta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 16:59:56 Reply

Oh Tom, there is one problem, you are allready saying the themes of some game jams, that wouldnt be a surprise :/ just the teams, and the artist could start doing something, also programmers, or writers or musicians. Just that :/ think better that ones so people cant cheat.
Ps: Pleaseeee tell us the winners of the actual jam today =D

Ockeroid
Ockeroid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 17:06:39 Reply

Sounds awesome! I've been really helped out by taking part in the 24H collabs. Learnt loads and met some very cool people. So it can only be a good thing for more Newgrounders.

It's really making use of the fact Newgrounds has a huge collection of creatives in one place that currently not that many are collaborating.

At 1/6/11 03:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/6/11 03:22 PM, RedHarvest wrote: i would love an elaboration on how the movie jams would work - how many artists? and things such as this.

EXPLAIN TO ME!
The setup could change for each jam... But one concept could be to have a lead writer, voice actor and animator, as an opportunity for writers to have a team at their mercy for a weekend... But other concepts could include mini-cluster collabs, or having multiple artists to manage a combination of backgrounds, characters and effects... THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

I'm all for encouraging more writer projects, but I can't see the set up of having a lead writer going down well.
A lot of animators like to do their own thing and see the telling of the story as part of the craft. Also if you don't like the story you're given then you're kind of screwed.

BBS Signature
steph2568
steph2568
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 17:09:27 Reply

Big schedule. Can't wait!

<3

BBS Signature
SSJDre
SSJDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 2011 JAM Schedule 2011-01-06 17:23:20 Reply

I'd be glad to jump on as a musician or a writer, can't program or draw to save my life. I don't agree that having a "Lead Writer" would be all that bad an idea. The lead would just have to make sure that the idea they used was good with everyone, or that they gathered the idea from the group, and then made the script. That would save problems down the road. I could crank out a game idea in like two minutes, but I'd never be able to animate it or program it, that only leaves me being able to write, which is helpful for us that aren't talented in those means. I don't know why I can't understand programming code though.

A person's life isn't measured by what they do, but by how hard they work for what they believe in.
Vampire Survival Story