Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 2/5/11 03:11 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 2/3/11 03:39 PM, DSMagnum wrote: Does the quality of the song have to sound like it was made during that era? Like does it have to be 8-64 bit or can it sound like something a DJ today would produce?
quality of original 8-bit sounds were pure and sometiems grainy - and just hit your ears the perfect way blaring out of your soundboard. We want to emulate that perfect oldschool feel - so the older you can make it sound, the better.

also we'd also prefer 8-bit drums if ya can - but that all goes under the adcade bonus.

I don't like how limited this months contest has become. Why call it a space themed video game song when you ask for an 8-bit for "extra points". Old school 8bit games were great their music was great but they were limited to the amount of instruments they used.

Video game music has matured along with video game's. We have Deadspace now, where the music is for a Space themed Videogame with horror elements. There was Freelancer and Eve which are and were great games, and none of them used 8bit. Hell the only arcade space games I remember were space invaders (The music was rather), Meteors (which didn't have music mind you), Moon landing (I think that's what it is called), and probably some others.

Not to mention the fact that their is no sound in space lolz.

So why is there such a focus on going back rather then pushing forward? 8bit is a cool element but it shouldn't be forced it should compliment a song not be a requirement.

Course that's just an opinion and you can grade how you like, I just feel it is very biased.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 06:07 PM Reply

Theres been plenty of hifi genre contests, i for one am very happy that finally theres a 8bit preferring contest this time.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 06:48 PM Reply

In my opinion, if this was to be an 8-bit centric competition, it should have been mentioned in the title.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Hmm...

As far as I understand it, it's not an 8-bit centric competition. I think Chronamut favours the 8-bit style rather, because he mentioned in the contest title that it leans towards "old school".

"SPACE GAME THEMED! (Oldschool Version)"

I believe that because everyone's interpretation of "old school" is different, a variety of different styles is still acceptable.

I do acknowledge that this contest is rather nostalgic, and therefore does indeed look backward rather than forward, but there are plenty of NAC ideas still floating about and therefore still plenty of opportunity to explore current forms of video-game-themed music, indeed such as "Dead Space", in the future.

Contest rules and constraints may be seen as restrictive, but could be seen as motivational as well. Competitors could potentially explore styles and techniques outside of their comfort zones and therefore expand their knowledge and experience. Whether it's seen it as a "block" or a "challenge" is up to each individual.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 09:03 AM Reply

I just got some news that are gonig to depress a lot of you.

a certain someone is competing.

hope this motivates you all to try your very best. We will not favour people with celebrity status, as we all signed up aroudn the same era - so don't worry about that ;)

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 09:05 AM Reply

also he only has access to a tracker as he's using an extremely primitive computer that won't run anything else- so itll be more a battle of composition against him and not super amazing samples :P

And yes, I am referring to ParagonX9 - but hey, dj-draconum might submit too, so itll be like.. 2003 all over again! Bahahaha...

now lets see if we can get Dimrain47 to submit..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 09:11 AM Reply

fyi i submitted my entry.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 09:27 AM Reply

At 2/9/11 09:11 AM, Calamaistr wrote: fyi i submitted my entry.

you did, and it was very cool! Took a couple of listens to get into the groove of it!

I am listening to the submissiosn as they roll in and I am VERY happy with what I am hearing - we originally got off to a rocky start with people misinterpreting the contest but now I feel peopel are really gettign into the oldschool groove!

As for us being limiting to 8-bit and oldschool "oldschool" encompasses a lot - and also - trackers were capable of submitting quite a few sounds - all bitcrushed though - so keep that in mind. As awell it's a contest - thus it is suppsoed to limit you, that's the challenge!

so far some very solid pieces :)

also I've noticed some people have redid their submissions- I would just like to say that your improvements are noted and appreciated :)

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 09:50 AM Reply

Also any secondary NACs that run along the primary NACs I will now refer to as SNACs.. yummy!

hahaha..

prizes and all that will still be the same - however, any sigs and what not you will be responsible for as it will be your contest - it will just run under the rules of all NACs. Also your proposal will have to be sent to me BEFORE the next month so that I can run it by tom, or you can run it by tom if you want and say it's a secondary NAC - but it might be best if I do just cuz tom and I have a communication avenue open to discuss them every month - sort of like a monthly update, so he may read that before he reads yours - I dunno.

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 12:37 PM Reply

At 2/9/11 09:50 AM, Chronamut wrote: Also any secondary NACs that run along the primary NACs I will now refer to as SNACs.. yummy!

hahaha..

I have a proposal in relation to the NACs and SNACs. Make the NACs a theme contest (Space, Western, i dunno lol) and the SNACs would be for genre-specific competitions. This way a NAC can be reserved for all musicians and the SNACs can be a little battle royale, a 'best of' for the genre. That sound like a good proposition? Or did I miss someone posting the same thing and neglect to read it.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 9th, 2011 @ 02:38 PM Reply

snacs are reserved for contests OTHER people want to run alongside the main NACs - so the nac staff have no obligation to run it, or come up with ideas for it - we are just there to make sure YOU run it properly, if it is your contest, and that it conforms to standard NAC rules - so the sweeper judge system, which you will have to do yourself, as well as the jinalist judge system, which you will have to do yourself, with the first 3 weeks beign for contestants and the final week being for judging. The NAC staff have enough on their plates running one a month - we shouldn't be expected to run 2 - that is your job ;)

BBS Signature
RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 14th, 2011 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 2/9/11 09:05 AM, Chronamut wrote:
And yes, I am referring to ParagonX9 - but hey, dj-draconum might submit too, so itll be like.. 2003 all over again! Bahahaha...

Mmmyes, it will be...

I changed the name of my song from *Spaced Out* to Space *Out, but it didn't register on the submission thread. I have been doing a lot of C programming lately and I was...inspired recently. Out is a good variable name for a pointer, methinks.

Since, you know, the name of a song has SO much to do with the judging of it(subconsciously?), make sure it is listed in the newer format, please...

just you wait

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 17th, 2011 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Just a friendly reminder, there are three more days until the submissions for the Space Game Feb NAC are due (SUnday Feb 20h).

Let's see those submissions! :D

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 18th, 2011 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 2/17/11 07:43 PM, brokendeck wrote: Just a friendly reminder, there are three more days until the submissions for the Space Game Feb NAC are due (SUnday Feb 20h).

Let's see those submissions! :D

if dj-draconum doesn't submit by the due date he has agreed to be a judge.

BBS Signature
borchert
borchert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 20th, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Will my submission be counted if it's still awaiting approval past 11:59?

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Feb. 21st, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

I noticed EricFreeman's submission was uploaded back in January...exclude it.

just you wait

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 08:42 PM Reply

MARCH NAC

discussion starts NOW.

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 3/1/11 08:42 PM, Chronamut wrote: MARCH NAC

discussion starts NOW.

meh who actually ENJOYS making cheesy irish genre infusions.

Oh and technically doesnt folk metal derive more from Sweden and Holland and more those countries. Just sayin.

Oh and i dare someone to make a song w/ out some type of flute.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 11:19 PM Reply

I'd make one without a flute but I don't have sufficient string instruments to make up for it.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:05 AM Reply

At 3/1/11 10:13 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 3/1/11 08:42 PM, Chronamut wrote: MARCH NAC

discussion starts NOW.
meh who actually ENJOYS making cheesy irish genre infusions.

lots of people?

Oh and technically doesnt folk metal derive more from Sweden and Holland and more those countries. Just sayin.

always gotta fuck up people's dreams don't you.

I'd like to hear some violin used maybe. Or bagpipes.

BBS Signature
Realmguys
Realmguys
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Wow, this contest has so much potential. Speaking from personal experience, it is always a learning and growing experience to step outside of your norm. Generally speaking, I think many poeple in this forum will have to do just that for this contest. I'm very excited to see what people come up with for this contest!

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:20 AM Reply

W00T! Hope someone does folk metal, since I obviously have a huge boner for it.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:35 AM Reply

At 3/1/11 10:13 PM, jpbear wrote: Oh and technically doesnt folk metal derive more from Sweden and Holland and more those countries. Just sayin.

Ever heard of Cruachan, Waylander, Geasa, Mael Mordha or Primordial? They are all Irish folk metal bands.
Ever heard of Orphaned Land? They're and Israeli folk metal band. Ulytau is a Kazakh folk metal band. Folk metal = metal that uses folk instruments, folk singing styles, folk song structures, etc. So, no, folk metal doesn't 'derive' more or less from Sweden and I've NEVER heard of a folk metal band from Holland. Just spittin' the truth.

Use a banjo, Irish cittern, Irish bagpipes, violin and some Irish drums and it's easy.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:40 AM Reply

I am a "real" musician, and I have "real" talent, now all I need to figure out is how to record my "real" instruments into my "computer" software.

lel

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:50 AM Reply

I've been wanting to write a slip jig for a while. Gotta love those 9/8 tunes

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 06:47 AM Reply

Folk-music is like it says music played by the folks of a nation, its people music, pub music, field music.
accoustic and with distinct cultural themes.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 3/2/11 06:47 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Folk-music is like it says music played by the folks of a nation, its people music, pub music, field music.
accoustic and with distinct cultural themes.

yup.

music of the "folks"

BBS Signature
Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 10:59 AM Reply

idea

april contest: popular newgrounds genre

SineRider
SineRider