Be a Supporter!

Nac General Discussion Thread

  • 54,129 Views
  • 915 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 03:00 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 02:54 PM, PeterSatera wrote: So far ive restarted countless times lol.

tonight it's very clear.. as we're both lying here.. there so many thing I want to say..

Jessismith
Jessismith
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 04:18 PM Reply

Hmm, hey everyone. Just wondering, what are your thoughts on using sound effects? Just curious. In the song I'm working on, some of the sound effects in my soundfonts can really contribute to my overall theme, while not overpowering the actual instrumentation of course. Just need an okay to go through with it. :)


Hmm. I will change this signature soon, lol.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 04:18 PM, Jessismith wrote: Hmm, hey everyone. Just wondering, what are your thoughts on using sound effects? Just curious. In the song I'm working on, some of the sound effects in my soundfonts can really contribute to my overall theme, while not overpowering the actual instrumentation of course. Just need an okay to go through with it. :)

you guys are allowed to use whatever sounds you want - however they can only be supportive to the main orchestral melody of the song.

think of how orchestral samples are used in support to a rap song - well do the reverse.

Jessismith
Jessismith
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 04:27 PM, Chronamut wrote:

you guys are allowed to use whatever sounds you want - however they can only be supportive to the main orchestral melody of the song.

think of how orchestral samples are used in support to a rap song - well do the reverse.

Hey, awesome. Just figured I'd double check. Thanks a bunch. :)


Hmm. I will change this signature soon, lol.

megakill
megakill
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Am I late to the party?

Just letting you guys know I'm gonna be entering.

Good luck everyone!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 04:29 PM, Jessismith wrote:
At 1/7/11 04:27 PM, Chronamut wrote:

you guys are allowed to use whatever sounds you want - however they can only be supportive to the main orchestral melody of the song.

think of how orchestral samples are used in support to a rap song - well do the reverse.
Hey, awesome. Just figured I'd double check. Thanks a bunch. :)

np :)

and welcome to our little contest man above me.

and oh hai everybody.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 05:44 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 03:00 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 1/7/11 02:54 PM, PeterSatera wrote: So far ive restarted countless times lol.
tonight it's very clear.. as we're both lying here.. there so many thing I want to say..

Im scared to as what... lol ;)

At 1/6/11 03:11 PM, Chronamut wrote: and I do believe that choirs still fit into an orchestral settiing.

Does this mean, that it's included as an orchestra addition, or are we still thinking that too much use is a bad thing? Worried when I come to put my orchestra in it's going to be too frontal and take away the allowance of an orchestra piece.

You see...i love my choirs. :P


BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 1/5/11 10:21 AM, brokendeck wrote:
At 1/5/11 10:08 AM, Rucklo wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/7159 24
Ah Castle Crashers...

How things have changed for David since,,,

the music in castle crashers was pretty much s-h-i-t

well except for the intro oobiedoobie at the castle.


Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 10:34 PM Reply

At 1/6/11 11:00 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 1/6/11 08:03 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote:
At 1/6/11 06:39 PM, brokendeck wrote:
Yes you heard right folks, MaestroRage is now on-board as a finalist judge.
Oh dear, the review rapeage has just stepped up.
hey you shush - or we'll get EDGEN to judge as well!

AND ON THAT NOTE..

Edgen will also be judging in this contest - have fun guys :P

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 10:44 PM Reply

Oh come on! There's more judges than participants! lol ;)


BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 10:44 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Oh come on! There's more judges than participants! lol ;)

5 judges lol..

and all the more reason for more of you to join.. don't give us nothing to do :P

and imagine - all those musicians giving you reviews :P

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:43 AM Reply

My pet peeve is having the strings sound real and they don't >:( grrrr. Spending too much time on them.

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 03:43 AM Reply

I've just got to say; the submissions so far are absolutely superb


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 06:55 AM Reply

Finished.

Orchestral is far from my prominent genre so I don't know how well it came out, but I'm quite proud of it, despite the amount of time it ate up from my schedule. Hope you all like it, and I wish good luck to everyone else.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 08:16 AM Reply

I think Steph already won this competition so far LOL.

Time to get crackin'.


lel

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 09:11 AM Reply

At 1/8/11 12:43 AM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: My pet peeve is having the strings sound real and they don't >:( grrrr. Spending too much time on them.

One of my annoyances too! Especially when using them for prolonged sustains. Yesterday I was finding it hard to get staccato brass to sound right. Having it repeat can sound marching esk, whereas I was looking for a more of a flat crecendo'ed run. Hard to describe, but I know what I mean! I just wanted to hunt down an Orchestra and shout "LOOK YOU, JUST PLAY THIS!"

Stephan, I can see why you wanted to add sitar. Works tremendously for the theme you created. Stunning stuff! Well up there! This is going to be really interesting for the judges, because everything we have heard is really pretty amazing, and is so incredibly worked on. Also the stuff is really different in genre, so they are in for a tough time!


BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 10:32 AM Reply

Well, I started something this afternoon. I really suck at making classical :/


lel

megakill
megakill
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 10:35 AM Reply

At 1/8/11 10:32 AM, Sequenced wrote: Well, I started something this afternoon. I really suck at making classical :/

I'm sure not many of us are used to it. It'll be a good learning experience lol.

megakill
megakill
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 11:12 AM Reply

For my first stab at an orchestral piece, I'd say I'm quite proud of this.

Good luck to everyone!

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:07 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 11:12 AM, megakill wrote: For my first stab at an orchestral piece, I'd say I'm quite proud of this.

Good luck to everyone!

Not a good idea to " Turn the volume up quite loud ". :/


lel

megakill
megakill
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 12:07 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 1/8/11 11:12 AM, megakill wrote: For my first stab at an orchestral piece, I'd say I'm quite proud of this.

Good luck to everyone!
Not a good idea to " Turn the volume up quite loud ". :/

No? well then I really need to do something about my speakers because it sounds weak as shit from these =/

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:15 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 12:14 PM, megakill wrote:

No? well then I really need to do something about my speakers because it sounds weak as shit from these =/

It sounded fine on mine. The cymbal was too loud though.


lel

megakill
megakill
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 12:15 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 1/8/11 12:14 PM, megakill wrote:

No? well then I really need to do something about my speakers because it sounds weak as shit from these =/
It sounded fine on mine. The cymbal was too loud though.

Yeah, I was worried it might become a bit over-powering. Well, damn. Theres still plenty of time to tweek it a bit.

EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 01:36 PM Reply

Orchestral NAC

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it in time... >_<

Good luck to all participants ;)


BBS Signature
Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 02:39 AM Reply

I hath finished.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 11:05 AM Reply

Brilliant work MrMilk! Hard one to beat!


BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 06:46 AM Reply

At 1/10/11 06:30 AM, PGegen wrote: Will entries be judged on any criteria other than using a lot of different instruments and realistic sounds?

Ya. By the sounds of it, composition is a major key.


BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 08:23 AM Reply

At 1/10/11 06:46 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 1/10/11 06:30 AM, PGegen wrote: Will entries be judged on any criteria other than using a lot of different instruments and realistic sounds?
Ya. By the sounds of it, composition is a major key.

oh no, i wanted to compose in a minor key.

:D

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 09:01 AM Reply

At 1/10/11 08:23 AM, SBB wrote:
At 1/10/11 06:46 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 1/10/11 06:30 AM, PGegen wrote: Will entries be judged on any criteria other than using a lot of different instruments and realistic sounds?
Ya. By the sounds of it, composition is a major key.
oh no, i wanted to compose in a minor key.

D

lol you dork.

and yes your song will simply be judged by how much effort you put into it and how well it is COMPOSED -yes those with realistic sounding sounds will have an upper hand but it won't be a beneficiary factor over those with lesser resources (for all you east west and logic pro users out there)

camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 11:21 AM Reply

Hi!

I'll be joinin' the competition, just wondering if Gershwin is an accepted approche to the orchestral style?

Cheers,
Samuel Hébert