New Topic Respond to this Topic
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-01 15:36:14 Reply

At 8/1/11 03:09 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: frontpaging #2 - #5 instead.

Congratulations to RampantMusik!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-01 18:39:21 Reply

not happy with the way things turned out - but it's really out of any of our control.

So let's just carry on forward - and hope that if he is a thief - he stays out of our community.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-02 00:44:39 Reply

fuck monday was a holiday here and so I thought I had one more day to post the NAC results.. so sorry guys the results will be delayed a day.. I will try to have them out today though.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-02 04:26:11 Reply

A the risk of sounding a complete fool.

Im a tad perplexed. We've to do remixes? but not covers and not mixes. From the context I take it as...

A cover is a complete redo of the track. A remix, is my own take on it, and a mix is taking the track and say splicing parts up while add my own stuff? Or am I complete wrong?

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-02 04:28:42 Reply

IGNORE THE ABOVE.
it belongs in the other thread.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-02 07:36:01 Reply

At 8/2/11 04:26 AM, PeterSatera wrote: A the risk of sounding a complete fool.

Im a tad perplexed. We've to do remixes? but not covers and not mixes. From the context I take it as...

A cover is a complete redo of the track. A remix, is my own take on it, and a mix is taking the track and say splicing parts up while add my own stuff? Or am I complete wrong?

no you're pretty much right.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-02 15:20:13 Reply

also some friendly advice - if you are going to offer to be a judge - if you think there may be events that prohibit you judging, then please don't offer - we only want dedicated judges - it ain't fair for everyone else.

and for the record all the judges have submitted their results for this contest on time - its just my error in dates that has caused this delay - the results will be posted tonight, and once again I sincerely apologize for that.

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-09 22:01:16 Reply

Regarding the remix contest, I have a song where i put a dl link to the midi in the desciption, if anyone's interested:

• =Latency=
    =Latency= by stratkat

Click to listen.

Score
    4.46 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

Idk if anyone would want to do it, but I'd be really interested in hearing a remix.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 15:34:37 Reply

ok guys I am hearing submissions for this remix contest that are half, if not more, of the ACTUAL ORIGINAL SONG.

You should be fucking ashamed - that's not a remix - a remix is taking some element of it - maaaybe the vocals or lead instrument - and using it in your submission - which involves EVERYTHING ELSE BEING DONE BY YOU.

girlstep - I'm sorry - but you fail - the majority of your song IS the original song - I am going to have to disqualify you.

That and making my ears fucking bleed.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 15:53:00 Reply

Gotta say though - Hojima Garu (garlagan) - impressive - and a treat to listen to :)

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:33:40 Reply

Chronamut. Your definition of a "remix" is ridiculously vague and completely arbitrary.

You say covers are not allowed; so people can't just have their own take on a song while doing everything themselves. From what I understand you want people to take pretty much a really small sample of an existing newgrounds audio submission, and then build a new song around it?

You're outraged when people take a decent portion of the song and do creative things with it? (Like what MrMilkcarton slapped together). In my opinion, what he did qualifies perfectly fine as a remix, because it samples the original and reuses them creatively. Granted, he could have sliced it up and rearranged it a bit more than he did, but there really isn't anything that makes this more of a "rip-off" than any actual remix would be.

If you're going to judge this contest as arbitrarily as I'm seeing, I can only see it becoming a giant fiasco where just about everyone will be outraged with decisions being made.

I normally don't follow up on these contests, but I noticed this and couldn't help speaking my mind.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:35:49 Reply

If a BBS mod coming by would want to delete the above post and perhaps this one, that'd be nice. I didn't realize there were monthly discussion threads too.

Excuse me.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:35:53 Reply

At 8/11/11 04:33 PM, Mich wrote: If you're going to judge this contest as arbitrarily as I'm seeing, I can only see it becoming a giant fiasco where just about everyone will be outraged with decisions being made.

If he wasn't making arbitrary decisions on a whim, regardless of how it affects others, he wouldn't be who he is.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:40:11 Reply

At 8/11/11 04:33 PM, Mich wrote: Chronamut. Your definition of a "remix" is ridiculously vague and completely arbitrary.

You say covers are not allowed; so people can't just have their own take on a song while doing everything themselves. From what I understand you want people to take pretty much a really small sample of an existing newgrounds audio submission, and then build a new song around it?

garlagan nailed it on the head.

If this was ocremix and you guys had attempted to submit those songs there (lets pretend they were video game remixes) they would have ALL been rejected.

You're outraged when people take a decent portion of the song and do creative things with it? (Like what MrMilkcarton slapped together). In my opinion, what he did qualifies perfectly fine as a remix, because it samples the original and reuses them creatively. Granted, he could have sliced it up and rearranged it a bit more than he did, but there really isn't anything that makes this more of a "rip-off" than any actual remix would be.

I love how you always like to play the high and pious authority figure in these instances. Fortunetely - YOU are not the one determining what qualifies in this contest - so butt out.

Yes, remixing is taking some element of a song - not MOST of the element of the original - the more of the original that is used, and the more similar the structure of your song is to the original - the more it gets classified as a 'cover" - the key here is to see just how creative you can be while still maintainnig some familiarity of the original song. Garlagan nailed it on the head.

If you're going to judge this contest as arbitrarily as I'm seeing, I can only see it becoming a giant fiasco where just about everyone will be outraged with decisions being made.

Honestly dude, your aassumptions of how you "feel" this is gonig to turn out is your opinion.

I normally don't follow up on these contests, but I noticed this and couldn't help speaking my mind.

Go back to TAP.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:45:47 Reply

I though my second post here would give an indication that I was willing to take the discussion to the appropriate thread (and thus not discuss it further in here). I've read the other discussion thread and posted my comment (and an addition there).

I was willing to discuss this matter based on -this case- rather than as a personal attack towards you, but if that's not possible, I'll just retreat and go about my own business.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 16:48:25 Reply

At 8/11/11 04:40 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 8/11/11 04:33 PM, Mich wrote: Chronamut. Your definition of a "remix" is ridiculously vague and completely arbitrary.

If this was ocremix and you guys had attempted to submit those songs there (lets pretend they were video game remixes) they would have ALL been rejected.

http://ocremix.org/artist/5792/mrmilkcar ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lffsPne 0c

Hmm?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 17:00:23 Reply

At 8/11/11 04:48 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote:
At 8/11/11 04:40 PM, Chronamut wrote:

http://ocremix.org/artist/5792/mrmilkcar ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lffsPne 0c

Hmm?

I fail to see your point - I have been a member of ocremix since 2004. I've seen their criteria for remixing - the song has to be almost entirely "reborn" from the original.

I believe what we have here is a "remix" war occurring. For THIS contest - the focus isn't just take the song, keep it sounding the same while changing instruments and maybe adding more - I want to see your own creative interpretation of the melody as well. Hell even the BLACK MAGES do that - they'll always put some creative little spin into the song - guitar solo, whatever.

Instead of you all getting all mad - why don't you just I dunno.. try again? You're wasting energy on unimportant stuff. The focus of these contests is to have FUN - I apologize if when I made this contest I wasn't aware that every single person seemed to have a different opinion of what a remix was. Sadly everyone DOES seem to have a different opinion of what a remix is - and you are just going to have to deal with it.

Also recall that before this year there WERE no monthly contests - and any contests certainly were NOT as consistantly streamlined as the NACs have become.

So really - try to look at the positive side of things- you all still have 2ish weeks, you know what I want - if you want your song to stay relevant then FIX IT UP A BIT!

I've offered suggestions to constants since day 1 as the contests have rolled along - they made changes, and placed much better.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-11 20:37:30 Reply

At 8/11/11 08:35 PM, GirlStep wrote: So am I still in the competition or not?

yeah.

sorry got post limited in the other discussion thread.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-17 21:40:42 Reply

I just posed my submission, is it a legit remix?

I used all the melodies from the main track, added some, and gave my own vibes to everything. That was your definition essentially right?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-18 00:19:33 Reply

At 8/17/11 09:40 PM, jpbear wrote: I just posed my submission, is it a legit remix?

I used all the melodies from the main track, added some, and gave my own vibes to everything. That was your definition essentially right?

I'm just gonna let the sweep judges decide whats what :)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-18 20:11:16 Reply

you guys only got a few day left!

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-18 20:20:59 Reply

At 8/18/11 08:11 PM, Chronamut wrote: you guys only got a few day left!

stoked :x

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-20 11:13:21 Reply

Started to work on a remix a few weeks ago, almost finished it, and then my computer with my life's work on it gets stolen.

NO BACKUP.

FML, my life sucks.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-20 16:14:00 Reply

you got one more day dude!

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-23 21:14:27 Reply

I had mine done and submitted at the VERY last minute, but I hope it'll be worth it...

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-23 21:23:46 Reply

gimme dur resultssss

dj-Jo
dj-Jo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-23 21:34:06 Reply

IKR

I hope i get on dat list :P

but i won't be able to see it today cause I gotta sleep

I Hate high school :PPP

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?
Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-24 06:01:22 Reply

Looks like this is going to be a late judging. I guess I really did dream that about 4 people reviewed my remix...

Are they all in some sort of trouble or what? Chronomut, the judging for the top 8 WAS supposed to be on the 23rd right?

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-24 09:43:45 Reply

At 8/24/11 06:01 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: Looks like this is going to be a late judging. I guess I really did dream that about 4 people reviewed my remix...

Are they all in some sort of trouble or what? Chronomut, the judging for the top 8 WAS supposed to be on the 23rd right?

Let wait until this afternoon, different people have different time zones.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-08-24 20:55:08 Reply

Good game, guys. I was about to declare a forfeit after waiting so long. Best of luck to this month's top 8!