TIMarbury
TIMarbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 14:05:31 Reply

At 4/27/11 01:19 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/27/11 01:03 PM, TIMarbury wrote: i likey :)
I don't.

lol why not?

http://soundcloud.com/timarbury PM me here or there if you want to use anything. thanks

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 14:16:29 Reply

At 4/27/11 01:19 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/27/11 01:03 PM, TIMarbury wrote: i likey :)
I don't.

well... good thing there will be 2 contests then eh? :P

you get your acapella contest :)

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 16:27:36 Reply

I still prefer the time signature idea.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 16:42:21 Reply

Yeah.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 22:00:23 Reply

I really REALLY don't.

p.s. i am gay

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 22:01:50 Reply

re: remixes.

time sigs are fine
anything is fine
just not really annoying remix contests

unless i can fucking DESTROY someone's song. that would be fun. I wish you could edit posts here wtf.

p.s. i am gay

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 23:23:41 Reply

Remix contest lack creativity :( unless it is just a melody with no genre attached. So I would be disappoint if the next one is a remix contest.

Maybe a contest that involves a sample like Rig did with the printer jam contest way back when.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-27 23:39:08 Reply

Even though its been done rather (not that) recently, picture to song contest?

Lets say you give out 3 pics, listener has to watch the picture you choose throughout listening.

Hard to judge though, so idk. Food for thought, or whatever the phrase is.

Not a fan of time sig change, NG classics remixes doesnt sound that bad.

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 00:38:17 Reply

At 4/27/11 11:39 PM, jpbear wrote: Even though its been done rather (not that) recently, picture to song contest?

Lets say you give out 3 pics, listener has to watch the picture you choose throughout listening.

Hard to judge though, so idk. Food for thought, or whatever the phrase is.

Not a fan of time sig change, NG classics remixes doesnt sound that bad.

The only problem I see with the pics idea is that it is very subjective, I remember there were lots of trouble on the "Flight In Freedom Contest" (I think that was the name) many many complaints, sad thing is that at the time of deciding which is the best, the judge will choose the one who HE thinks suits the picture...

So yeah in summary: Hard to judge and very subjective...

Now thinking about it, the time sig change contest would be also pretty hard to judge, you will say a song wins based on what? How many times the time signature changes on a song? Or the song with the weirdest time sig? Hmmm....

May I propose a "Welcome the Summer Contest" :)

The vacations are coming real close as well as the summer movie season and the likes, so why not create suitable summer themes to be prepared for the vacation! It could be like you know the typical summer trance/dance hits or you could make something along the lines of "Hotel California" or "Escape (The Pina Colada song)" ;D

It would be kinda like the Heavenly contest, not really based on a genre, but on a theme :)

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 01:20:08 Reply

"Now thinking about it, the time sig change contest would be also pretty hard to judge, you will say a song wins based on what? How many times the time signature changes on a song? Or the song with the weirdest time sig? Hmmm...."

you'd judge this based on a ratio of overall listenability and catchiness to technical rhythmic wizardry. not difficult!

p.s. i am gay

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 02:08:44 Reply

Time signature is kinda a bad choice. I Can easily make you a song in 3/4 12/8 4/4 6/8 and you might never notice the change because of hemiola.

Hell I wrote a 3/4 house song with a 4 to the floor kick and a snare on 2 and 4 (thought really it was on 2 and 1) but the melody was 3/4.

You'd need sheet music to have a better "judging" of the music. Which in most cases not everyone can score their song.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 03:25:30 Reply

So what? If a time signature contest goes ahead and someone submits a song that's written in such a way that the time signature changes aren't noticeable without sheet music then it can just be disqualified because it's clearly just some dickhead trying to be funny and not taking the contest seriously.

p.s. i am gay

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 03:26:36 Reply

"Hell I wrote a 3/4 house song with a 4 to the floor kick and a snare on 2 and 4 (thought really it was on 2 and 1) but the melody was 3/4."

That's just a polyrhythmic melody. Your song was still in 4/4.

p.s. i am gay

uint
uint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 05:54:03 Reply

If a song is most easily written down as 4/4, it's 4/4.

Also, you can tell the contestants to use an unusual top numeral - 5, 7, 11 and so on.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 10:09:45 Reply

we're not doing a time signature contest and that's final.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 10:14:18 Reply

At 4/27/11 11:23 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Remix contest lack creativity :( unless it is just a melody with no genre attached. So I would be disappoint if the next one is a remix contest.

Maybe a contest that involves a sample like Rig did with the printer jam contest way back when.

biggest bullshit statement ever. I coasted most of my ngs career off of remixes, and I can tell you this - there is an infinite amount of directions you can take when remixing a song - you can pretty much butcher it to fuck, make it in any genere, change almost anything about it.

And also, if you're disappoint, then that simply means you don't have the skill to make it interesting - not our fault in cotest making - your fault in application.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 11:52:22 Reply

At 4/28/11 10:14 AM, Chronamut wrote: biggest bullshit statement ever. I coasted most of my ngs career off of remixes, and I can tell you this - there is an infinite amount of directions you can take when remixing a song - you can pretty much butcher it to fuck, make it in any genere, change almost anything about it.

I'll have to agree with this.

Just because you're given a melody to remix doesn't mean you can't use the melody in a completely new, different and creative contest. Hell, if you play your cards right, you can make a remix just as creative as you can make an original song, by giving the remix a completely different style, structure and instrumentation from the original.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 12:24:23 Reply

hell ive remixed songs that have gone on to be mccessful than the original song. It gives you a great opportunity to improve a song in your own way.

TIMarbury
TIMarbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 15:52:43 Reply

guess i'll throw some artists out there then.

API
b0unce
dj nate
cornandbeans
nemesistheory
waterflame

http://soundcloud.com/timarbury PM me here or there if you want to use anything. thanks

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 16:04:49 Reply

At 4/28/11 03:52 PM, TIMarbury wrote: guess i'll throw some artists out there then.

API
b0unce
dj nate
cornandbeans
nemesistheory
waterflame

I'll throw some up too:

XBrav
Jarrydn
Bad-Man-Incorporated
Darkside555
Dreamscaper
Envy
Helix6
Crud
ParagonX9
ZeRo-BaSs
Rucklo
Evil-Dog
Dimrain47
Bosa
Edgen
MaestroRage
Milkman Dan
Khuskan
Housemasta
MetalJonus
PianoForte
DJ-Draconum
Czer323
GoreBastard
Realmguys
F-777
Poetic-Raven
Lejin
Jazza
KingBastard
F2X1
NathanAllenPinard
AznPB
NightVision
Psybot
Glib
Synteza

there are others I couldthink of but theyre rather minor.

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-28 17:19:06 Reply

Oh what the hell! We all know we're gonna end up doing whatever Chron wants :P

So why bother XD

BTW I totally support the remix idea, in fact, I think I like it better than my own so LETS DO IT!

@Mrmilkcarton You can choose a song from the portal that has an inspiring effect on you, Chron and TIM just gave you a wide range of options, so just choose!

There's a lot of inspiring stuff in here ;)

Decibel
Decibel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 07:10:38 Reply

At 4/29/11 02:41 AM, meneldil wrote: How about a remix contest in which you make a 3/4 or 4/4 song into one with a complex time signature?

I know this sounds like some shitty "we could all be happy" kind of solution, but think about it for a second...

Or we could grab the melody of 4/4 into a 3/4 melody.

Chron, don't leave, it's just everyone has their opinions, yes you've done both harm and good but you've provided us with these contests. Just ignore everyone, if they don't like the contest, they don't take part.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 13:57:05 Reply

At 4/29/11 07:10 AM, Decibel wrote:
At 4/29/11 02:41 AM, meneldil wrote: How about a remix contest in which you make a 3/4 or 4/4 song into one with a complex time signature?

I know this sounds like some shitty "we could all be happy" kind of solution, but think about it for a second...
Or we could grab the melody of 4/4 into a 3/4 melody.

Chron, don't leave, it's just everyone has their opinions, yes you've done both harm and good but you've provided us with these contests. Just ignore everyone, if they don't like the contest, they don't take part.

good thinking.

After taking some time to cool off I have decided to stay - if only to piss everyone off who wanted me to leave.

Now if you guys want a time signature contest, you are gonna have to make this somehow work, because judging a contest based on tiem signature alone is.. well.. that's not even a contest.. what is there to judge.. how many time signatures you cramemd in? Rate of time signature change? Also would the judges even notice, or even be aware of the time signature changes?

I realize you guys want a time signature contest.. but as it stands I don't see we would be able to judge it.

also this is all discussion anyways.. we don't HAVE to have a secondary contest if you guys don't want one.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 16:58:26 Reply

To answer your issue on a time signature contest. It would have to all sort of flow together to the point that it works. Listen to some Rush or Tool songs, they have so g that constantly change signature but because of how it is written, you would even notice that it does. What you would notice however is the complexity of the beat, because of the difference in time signatures there should be different stresses on certain beats. Or how you would accent the down beat. You could actually write a song in 4/4, but if you accent the beats right it could sound like it is changing signatures. So it will be hard for those who are far to comfortable with a simple four on the floor or every quarter beat being the driving pulse, but easier for those who already do so. It would be a great opportunity fortunes who want to expand upon there comfort zones with something that might both frustrate them and teach them a great deal.

A remix Would be great for a short term popularity boost, but that's all you'll ever get with a remix, even if the original song isn't that great it still will last longer than a remix mainly for the fact that it is the base of the remix in the first place.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 17:37:55 Reply

At 4/29/11 04:58 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: To answer your issue on a time signature contest. It would have to all sort of flow together to the point that it works. Listen to some Rush or Tool songs, they have so g that constantly change signature but because of how it is written, you would even notice that it does. What you would notice however is the complexity of the beat, because of the difference in time signatures there should be different stresses on certain beats. Or how you would accent the down beat. You could actually write a song in 4/4, but if you accent the beats right it could sound like it is changing signatures.

The constant time signature changes that Rush/Tool/Dream Theater are kind of obnoxious IMO, I find it much more interesting when the odd time signatures and/or changes actually aren't all that obvious so that you might not even notice something's different before you count the beats, because they've managed to make a melody that actually fits and sounds natural in that time. Which can be a challenge, and you often hear people just chopping the last part off or prolonging a 4/4 melody when using a different time.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 17:57:53 Reply

meshuggah

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 21:42:44 Reply

At 4/29/11 05:37 PM, SBB wrote:
The constant time signature changes that Rush/Tool/Dream Theater are kind of obnoxious IMO, I find it much more interesting when the odd time signatures and/or changes actually aren't all that obvious

I'm finding it hard to see what songs are that blatantly obvious of the rush and tool, i can understand the dream threater, since they are a more metal band. The dave brubec is very obvious, however that is not in the least saying it's a bad song, it's just how it's written. Something like say "Schism" is a little harder to pin down, since it could either be switching between two or three different signature or just being accented on different beats. Then you probably think the syncopation is obnoxious since that is probably why they feel like they change so much not because they actually change.

so that you might not even notice something's different before you count the beats, because they've managed to make a melody that actually fits and sounds natural in that time. Which can be a challenge, and you often hear people just chopping the last part off or prolonging a 4/4 melody when using a different time.

And it's kind of hard to compare Tool And a Jazz musician since they are two completely different styles of writing. Jazz will have multiple melodies, or have multiple instruments overtime play that melody, where as more rock oriented bands carry their melody in the vocals. And Rush is heavily syncopated, and has time changes throughout.

What would be done with a contest would be a mixture of a lot of things. The idea of obvious changes, for a break down sort of thing, and Brubeck's idea of having the time fit the melody (Brubeck had explained one of his songs as going "1-2/1-2/1-2-3/1-2/1-2/1-2-3/1-2/1-2/1-2 -3/1-2-3/1-2-3 ect" forget the name of the song lol)

People would get bonus points for either the smoothness or if the transition was so smooth it wasn't even notice, and would be docked if it was constantly changing and to blatantly obvious. It points would also be lost if a 4 on the floor bass is used, because it would be way to easy and lazy to just write out everything in different time sigs and not even do anything special about the percussion. Full ness rather than just a basic "Melody, beat, bassline, generic techno chhhhhh beginging" would also be encouraged.

And i know there would be lots of elements to think about, but not every contest should be too easy, otherwise no one is learning, just winning or losing.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-29 22:07:39 Reply

At 4/29/11 01:57 PM, Chronamut wrote: Now if you guys want a time signature contest, you are gonna have to make this somehow work, because judging a contest based on tiem signature alone is.. well.. that's not even a contest.. what is there to judge.. how many time signatures you cramemd in? Rate of time signature change? Also would the judges even notice, or even be aware of the time signature changes?

I realize you guys want a time signature contest.. but as it stands I don't see we would be able to judge it.

You judge it on a ratio of listenability/catchiness to technical prowess. Of course you wouldn't judge it based on how many dumb time sigs they crammed in.

I mean, when there's a "Uplifting" song contest you don't judge based just on how uplifting it is, you take into account general musicality and mix quality also (or at least, you should).

p.s. i am gay

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-30 15:32:00 Reply

alright since you guys are obviously more in tune with dynamic time signatures than I am if you guys want to host that contest go right on ahead - but I am not going to touch it because frankly.. I don't think I could do it justice.

so yeah.. make a thread for it tomorrow and get yourself some judges for it and I'll add that link to my update to tom along with the acapella NAC - this way everyone is happy.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-30 21:34:27 Reply

Works for me!

Honestly Chron, I think it might be better if you just set the next challenge without taking ideas/whining from other people. Keep it a surprise until the first of June, and if they don't like it they can suck a hundred dicks OR like you said just run their own contest.

p.s. i am gay