New Topic Respond to this Topic
PainasaurusRex
PainasaurusRex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 6th, 2011 @ 11:51 PM Reply

I'd like to add my two cents. While I love mixing genres, it's probably my favorite thing to do, I do believe that this contests rules are a little odd. I don't find Heavenly to have driving beat. If you want a heavenly song with a driving beat, your better off writing a song, then ruining it with a simple drum beat. Unless I misunderstand the concept of driving beats, then syncopation of drums would not be allowed unless you consider a driving beat to include syncopation. However, this brings up another interesting point that I heard from a music theory instructor, as long as it's not a free form beat, it will have a driving beat since humans can naturally feel the beat of songs. Even if it's difficult at first they'll figure it out eventually. So to ask for a driving beat is actually rather irrelevant since as long as you don't change the beat, it will have one.

That aside, I think that you should reinterpret what you guys are calling restrictions, and instead say recommendations. That way, there's more wiggle room. This is just what I think especially since I thought the last competition seemed so heavily restricted. Just instead of saying that's what you have to have to succeed, simply say, we're looking for something upbeat and heavenly, bonus points for ambient samples. I think this would have gone over much better with much less struggling. However, I'd like to just say, this is my opinion. If you want to argue, go ahead, but I won't partake, and finally, please forgive any grammar and spelling mistakes.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 4/6/11 11:12 PM, JohnnyFrizz wrote:
I think he means uplifting as in happy/joyfull! Minor scale's are usually for sad/touching/emotional music.

The point here is to create a track that fills you with joy and excitement PLUS it has to have calm and beautiful parts that makes you feel good instead of depress you or make you cry ^^

At least thats how I see it.

Lol i know. But i think it would be more fun to try to make uplifting happy songs with minor chords since there are so many variations on the chord

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 01:11 AM Reply

what johnnyfrizz said.

if you can still make it happy and cheerful with minor, or major chords, or whatever, then do whatever.

As for driving beat,.. yeah just make it consistant.

And no you can definitely have a driving beat and a heavenly calming background - ive prodived quite a few examples- think of it as a challenge - and not something like "well I donm't make that kind of music - I don't like this music because it wont let me make music the way "I" like to make it"

contests are meant to be somewhat restrictive as it forces you to make something in a specific way that you wouldn't normally think of making.

there is still lots of wriggle room for interpretation here. Keep it happy, keep it uplifting, keep it angelic sounding, and keep a consistanmt beat throughout - is that really that restrictive? Becasue to me it sounds liek you guys are making more of a deal out of this than needs to be made.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PainasaurusRex
PainasaurusRex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 02:05 AM Reply

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal but I'd rather have it clarified like that. I do think this competition is fine but I can see where people could complain. Though I think that the NAC seems to be designed less around everyone can enter and more along the lines of (as you did state in your original post) this month the members of genre X will shine. So with my tired mind I'd like to summarize this by saying that I think this competition is relatively genre specific, maybe not on purpose, but it is. However, this is a good thing since it will surely allow for different people and winners.

On a side note, are we allowed more then one submission? Cause the first guy has two submissions. Sorry if this was already addressed.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 4/1/11 03:48 PM, Chronamut wrote: Production
2) If you use a real vocalist - make sure the vocals sound sweet!

Rule #2 is specifically designed to keep me from participating!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 4/7/11 02:05 AM, PainasaurusRex wrote: Personally, I don't think it's a big deal but I'd rather have it clarified like that. I do think this competition is fine but I can see where people could complain. Though I think that the NAC seems to be designed less around everyone can enter and more along the lines of (as you did state in your original post) this month the members of genre X will shine. So with my tired mind I'd like to summarize this by saying that I think this competition is relatively genre specific, maybe not on purpose, but it is. However, this is a good thing since it will surely allow for different people and winners.

On a side note, are we allowed more then one submission? Cause the first guy has two submissions. Sorry if this was already addressed.

hehe yes it was already addressed - due to some close calls with the celtic competition we are allowing 2 submissions per user. However, if you place in the top 3 and your second song ties with another user's first song, they will get precedance over you to prevent monopolizing.

And yes, as it stands, the NACs have evolvedto becoem genre specific, but this is good because hopefulyl over the course of the entire year I can pretty much cover every single genre, esp. if we run 2 contests a month - that's 24 possible genre "areas" - I say this because contests like the heavenly contest and "st. patties day" contest weren't necessarily restricted to one genre, but a group of genres.

Untilately, I am trying to avoid making any one contest too vague, as I feel more specific genres help attract certain crowds of people, and in fact make them try harder. I also must say that so far these contests have been a resounding success, with staff members participating, checking out the contest, new users participating and gaining prominance (like hamstercake), regulars participaing and old users actually coming back to the site (Triskele, Realmgys, Xbrav to name a few).

The ultimate goal of these contests right from the start has been to strengthen the community, and I am trying to focus on one area at a time. See the problem with making a contest too general is you will have biased judges, and you will have users that will ONLY focus on specific genres - thus screwing the litle guys. Genre specific allows me to choose judges who are totally biased towards that genre but can thus be used in a pisitive way, and lets me attract consistant artists of the genre we are showcasing.

So a lot of research has been put into this.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 4/7/11 10:36 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
Rule #2 is specifically designed to keep me from participating!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

rule #2.5: NO FISH! >:(

lolololololol.. poor PsychoGoldfish.. you can still participate.. just use hania's vocals again and tell her to sing properly :P

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

quarl, I have to say,.. your NAC submission is absolutely BRILLIANT. You put a spin on it that now even "I" considered.. I am so impressed :D

everyone else.. you could take notes from this man :)

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 11:42 AM, Chronamut wrote: quarl, I have to say,.. your NAC submission is absolutely BRILLIANT. You put a spin on it that now even "I" considered.. I am so impressed :D

lol, stop you're making me blush.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 12:06 PM, Quarl wrote:
At 4/7/11 11:42 AM, Chronamut wrote: quarl, I have to say,.. your NAC submission is absolutely BRILLIANT. You put a spin on it that now even "I" considered.. I am so impressed :D

hey I don't dish out compliments often ;)

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 01:05 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 4/7/11 12:06 PM, Quarl wrote:

hey I don't dish out compliments often ;)

Hey betch don't be picking yur winners already, i have't even posted my 4 hour long dissonant dubstep gutteral rawr to the contest! IT WILL BE HEAVENLY D:<

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 02:03 PM Reply

*puts kirbyfemur on auto-disqualify list*

post away! *beams!* :P

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: *puts kirbyfemur on auto-disqualify list*

To bad i don't have amazing sampling/editing skills, otherwise i would have tried to turn a gutteral growl into a beautiful ambient pad :P

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 02:12 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 4/7/11 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: *puts kirbyfemur on auto-disqualify list*

To bad i don't have amazing sampling/editing skills, otherwise i would have tried to turn a gutteral growl into a beautiful ambient pad :P

that's easy.. just slow it down extremely.. and then pitch it up a ton, and add a bajillion effects.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 02:55 PM, Chronamut wrote:
that's easy.. just slow it down extremely.. and then pitch it up a ton, and add a bajillion effects.

Don't forget the sound-goodizers... :P

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 4/7/11 03:05 PM, brokendeck wrote:
At 4/7/11 02:55 PM, Chronamut wrote:
Don't forget the sound-goodizers... :P

oh and throw a brickwall limiter on the master bus.

BBS Signature
Sandwhich-lord
Sandwhich-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 7th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

I have made something a few years back which would fit perfectly for this competition are old submissions allowed or does it have to be something new? Not a problem if something new is needed just not sure if i can do anything better then the old track.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 4/7/11 11:44 PM, Sandwhich-lord wrote: I have made something a few years back which would fit perfectly for this competition are old submissions allowed or does it have to be something new? Not a problem if something new is needed just not sure if i can do anything better then the old track.

In the rules it clearly states something made for this or as long as it wasn't posted before the NAC thread started

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 09:30 AM Reply

yeah sorry has to have been made during the contest time. Imagine you are someone who spent 3 weeks on a song making it fix exactly the criteria within the contest time and someone just comes and submits a song they think fits within the criteria in a day that they made last year.

Not very fair for the first guy now is it.

BBS Signature
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 11:43 AM Reply

Here's a good example of semi-Happy hardcore but uplifting DnB.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 12:04 PM Reply

At 4/8/11 09:30 AM, Chronamut wrote: yeah sorry has to have been made during the contest time. Imagine you are someone who spent 3 weeks on a song making it fix exactly the criteria within the contest time and someone just comes and submits a song they think fits within the criteria in a day that they made last year.

I don't think a lot of people actually read the wall-o-text of rules. I don't think people know how to read.... SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 4/8/11 12:04 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 4/8/11 09:30 AM, Chronamut wrote: yeah sorry has to have been made during the contest time. Imagine you are someone who spent 3 weeks on a song making it fix exactly the criteria within the contest time and someone just comes and submits a song they think fits within the criteria in a day that they made last year.

I don't think a lot of people actually read the wall-o-text of rules. I don't think people know how to read.... SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

If people aren't gonig to take the time to sit down and read and take these contests seriously, then I am not going to take the tiem to take them seriously, and that's the honest to god truth - noone who doesn't take the effort to do these things deserves the same amount of respect and understanding as everyone else- please keep that in mind. The "wall of text" posts are made specifically that way so that nothing is vague and that everything is specifically covered, exactly for the purpose of when you whine that something wasn't stated or things were unclear, that I can point to that wall of text and tell you to FRIGGEN READ!

hahaha.

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 09:11 PM Reply

Hopefully we don't have many more posts of songs that don't qualify... i want to hear some good songs to kick my crappy one to shit damn it!

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 10:11 PM Reply

You should always read the wall of text rules for a contest if you are actually entering it. If you don't and get disqualified on a stupid technicality that you should have known about then its your own damn fault.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 12:17 AM Reply

Ok so wait,

does this have to be uplifting AND heavenly, and does judging go by the best combo of the two?

OR

is it uplifting or heavenly?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 01:13 AM Reply

At 4/9/11 12:17 AM, jpbear wrote: Ok so wait,

does this have to be uplifting AND heavenly, and does judging go by the best combo of the two?

OR

both.

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 06:29 AM Reply

At 4/9/11 12:17 AM, jpbear wrote: Ok so wait,

OR

Yes

It is the stairway to heaven, only with less overplay, less led and more simple complexity with subtle loudness.

leocedia
leocedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 10:49 AM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 12327 hope u like the song :D

leocedia
leocedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 12327 hope u like the song :D

joethesouleater
joethesouleater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 11:12 AM Reply

At 4/9/11 10:58 AM, leocedia wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 12327 hope u like the song :D

ok two things,

1. wrong thread.

2. Plagiarism is not cool man, if you are gonna try something that low at least take it from another site from something that was uploaded a while ago, http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 09320

BBS Signature