Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 17:20:43 Reply

At 4/2/11 05:11 PM, hamstercake wrote:
At 4/2/11 05:10 PM, Chronamut wrote:
listen to the "sound from the above" links from youtube that I provided - that's pretty much the ideal.
I´m too lazy... But okey i will ;)

in future- any song submitted that does not conform to the rules because the user was "too lazy to listen to the examples or read all the rules"

will immediately be disqualified.

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 17:57:55 Reply

At 4/2/11 01:42 PM, WerewNC wrote: Stuff.

My last post may have been overlooked due to the fact that it mocked itself. I'd seriously like to know if country music like this would work for the competition.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 18:00:02 Reply

This post doesn't sound as shitty.

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 18:16:30 Reply

If anybody wants any male choir vox, hit me up cuz I love me a choir.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 19:13:38 Reply

I listened to the example songs in the April NAC thread and... I don't really see the "heavenly / uplifting" part. Some just sound like Deadmau5, some just sound like any other trance/house song. Maybe my idea is different than Chron's, but... when I think of 'heavenly' and/or 'uplifting,' I think of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfizjEUYD BI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZg6sQ5J 2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRiaIIiva Ks

Or, for sad & uplifting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJz9OGYmP vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqjJWxBM f8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9j-BqKg2 hU (yeah, it's a Requiem, in a minor key, but look how he keeps hanging around the major VI chord!)

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-02 19:39:11 Reply

At 4/1/11 03:52 PM, Chronamut wrote: New April NAC contest is up - UPLIFTING/HEAVENLY THEMED!

Lol you may need to re-write the dates. March kinda ended yesterday xP

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-03 16:49:31 Reply

At 4/2/11 07:39 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 4/1/11 03:52 PM, Chronamut wrote: New April NAC contest is up - UPLIFTING/HEAVENLY THEMED!
Lol you may need to re-write the dates. March kinda ended yesterday xP

That's what happens when Chron copy-pastas lol ;), late at night probably....

:P

mmm pasta...

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-03 19:31:47 Reply

At 4/2/11 07:13 PM, RampantMusik wrote: I listened to the example songs in the April NAC thread and... I don't really see the "heavenly / uplifting" part. Some just sound like Deadmau5, some just sound like any other trance/house song. Maybe my idea is different than Chron's, but... when I think of 'heavenly' and/or 'uplifting,' I think of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfizjEUYD BI

too dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZg6sQ5J 2k

yes, but where is anyone here going to get a full piece choir hmm? Also you seem to ave missed the part in the contest criteria about the whole thing being combined with a driving beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRiaIIiva Ks

no.

Or, for sad & uplifting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJz9OGYmP vs

no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqjJWxBM f8

no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9j-BqKg2 hU (yeah, it's a Requiem, in a minor key, but look how he keeps hanging around the major VI chord!)

no.

The point of this contest - and it is very much written in the criteria - is to have a HAPPY, HEAVENLY SOUNDING song combined with a cheerful, driving beat.

Thus progressive trance, techno, house, dance, happy hardcore, all those incorporate that cheerful driving beat. Your job is to add some heavenleiness TO that - think angelic trance, angelic house, angelic tachno, etc.

Think blissful pads, ambiant waves, seagulls, rapturous angelic choirs, foresty flutes, blissful progressions, etc. The problem with this contest is not much (That I know of) exists that shows all these elements together.

use your imagination - and DON'T make the percussion and bass the main focus of the song - I realize this will be difficult for a lot of you since you tend to use this a s a crutch so that you don't have to focus on complex melodies, but what we want to see here is excellenet production - timbres and layers interwoven seamlessly with each other (much like progressive trance/house) - so that by the end you feel you were just sent on a blissful journey high in the clouds and the burden of your very soul has been listed - all to a driving beat you can groove to.

I'm sure you can all figure that out - and if not - then go back to school becasue you apparently can't read and comprehend what is written to you.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-04 10:34:46 Reply

another beautiful example of uplifting with a beat

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-04 19:35:55 Reply

At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Chronamut wrote: Something.

Oh? Then buy yourself a hat, and then proceed to hold the fuck onto said hat, because I'm about to unleash classical theory unto your contest.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-04 22:19:06 Reply

Would this song be good, although it has very little beat to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsK73v2A m8

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-04 23:19:01 Reply

Chronamut! You've posted here a few times since my last post without answering my question! Actually, don't worry about it, I've already started writing an incredibly bland song that is currently 14:35 long and only 80 BPM. So I gave up on country since I figured you ignoring my comments and the overall lack of country music on this site meant the song I WANTED to make would be undervalued. But now I'm worried about your examples for the competition. I only read the text until now. RampantMusik's second, fifth, and sixth example were what I expected the competition was looking for, but now that I've listened to your examples I'm really confused. And drunk. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. My piece has no drums as of now for about 2/3rds of the piece, and I wasn't planning on adding any. In fact, the first pieces that come to mind with heavenly and uplifting for me are this, this, and this. I guess I want to know is if something like Canon, the songs RampantMusik suggested, or the song Blackhole12 suggested are dead in the water for this completion. If so there's really no reason for me to hurry on editing my piece as it doesn't stand a chance. And I think I'm also pissed about you ignoring my earlier question. :(

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-04 23:56:21 Reply

At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Chronamut wrote: yes, but where is anyone here going to get a full piece choir hmm? Also you seem to ave missed the part in the contest criteria about the whole thing being combined with a driving beat

EastWest Symphonic Choirs. 80% of the people who enter these contests seem to have EWQL products, so there is no reason not to.

I'm sure you can all figure that out - and if not - then go back to school becasue you apparently can't read and comprehend what is written to you.

Insulting the people who would enter the contest is not a very good idea. Besides, I don't think you're one to talk about going back to school seeing as, in both this thread and every competition post, there are innumerable spelling and grammar errors.

I can read. I can comprehend what you've written. Have you considered that maybe you're just not very good at explaining the details of the contest? Or that, perhaps, this is the exact kind of genre-restricting contest many of us are trying to avoid? Or that the contest prompt just wasn't that good in the first place?

Before placing the blame on everyone else, take a step back. Look at other posts from the past: there are several people who would rather not write in a specific style. Sure, there can be genre specific contests -- 8bit, orchestral, advertising, 'Russian,' film, or video games, for example: but those are good genre restrictions, because they still allow for a lot of personal style and development. On the other hand, your examples basically show that you want us to write techno that is, frankly, pretty much indistinguishable from any other techno.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 02:03:34 Reply

At 4/4/11 07:35 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Chronamut wrote: Something.
Oh? Then buy yourself a hat, and then proceed to hold the fuck onto said hat, because I'm about to unleash classical theory unto your contest.

just combine it with a beat and we shall see what you come up with :)

At 4/4/11 11:56 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Chronamut wrote: yes, but where is anyone here going to get a full piece choir hmm? Also you seem to ave missed the part in the contest criteria about the whole thing being combined with a driving beat
EastWest Symphonic Choirs. 80% of the people who enter these contests seem to have EWQL products, so there is no reason not to.

fine but they will be wordless choirs.

Insulting the people who would enter the contest is not a very good idea. Besides, I don't think you're one to talk about going back to school seeing as, in both this thread and every competition post, there are innumerable spelling and grammar errors.

I don't make grammar errors. Spelling errors? Sure I make those all the time because I'm dyslexic - thanks for calling me out on a disorder.

I can read. I can comprehend what you've written. Have you considered that maybe you're just not very good at explaining the details of the contest? Or that, perhaps, this is the exact kind of genre-restricting contest many of us are trying to avoid? Or that the contest prompt just wasn't that good in the first place?

I do believe I wrote very extensively the criteria for the contest. Also It's not genre restricting to the extent you think it is. "Driving beat" does not mean techno - in fact - the examples I provided AREN'T techno. Trance and house are not techno.

Basically provide a beat with a song that provides heavenly/blissful progressions - make it sound airy, beautiful, accented with beautiful things.

Things like foresty flutes. Those are beautiful.
Things like airy pianos and harps and choirs. Those are beautiful.
Things like celestial bells and waves and starry synths. Those are beautiful.
Things like wind and more classical instruments - focusing on the high octaves and the high end of the spectrum. Give the user the feeling he is sailing away into the louds. That is beautiful.

Before placing the blame on everyone else, take a step back. Look at other posts from the past: there are several people who would rather not write in a specific style. Sure, there can be genre specific contests -- 8bit, orchestral, advertising, 'Russian,' film, or video games, for example: but those are good genre restrictions, because they still allow for a lot of personal style and development. On the other hand, your examples basically show that you want us to write techno that is, frankly, pretty much indistinguishable from any other techno.

wrong. I believe that how I described the criteria just above your paragraph should give you a better idea. Imagine god told you to make as song worthy of the heavens but he wanted to be able to groove to it. Think on that. And no mention of the devil please.

And no.. country wouldn't really be fitting.

so far mrmilkcarton's feel has hit the nail on the head. THATS the feeling I want you all to portray - that uplifting blissful joyful feel. Heck his could have gone even further and added more heavenly embellishments in the progression parts.

and blackhole.. itt is indeed beautiful.. it may be a bit too somber in parts, but if you took the idea of that wonderful piano and the harp, and added a wonderful lighthearted percussion to it - driving but not heavy. I guess the word would be articulate, graceful.. something youd expct angels or elves to make. Delicate, beautiful, with a beautiful percussion to make. See it's easy to make an ambiant song, but people always then deprive them of percussion - I want to see the 2 combined so that you could dance to it in heaven, or in a forest full of elves. Or in the far expanses of the universe. Try to envision that :)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 02:16:48 Reply

a commercial example:

Fragma - memory

ver voice is beautiful and airy.. and there are beautiful pads.. wave progressions.. strings in the bg.. piano.. heavenly embellishments.. and a driving beat along with the whole thing. The whole thing is just beautiful, and heavenly feeling.

or this:

Through the kalaidoscope - it misses the beat, but the overall feeling of it is just so heart achingly beautiful. THAT feeling.. embody it in your songs.

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 13:01:19 Reply

At 4/5/11 02:03 AM, Chronamut wrote: I do believe I wrote very extensively the criteria for the contest. Also It's not genre restricting to the extent you think it is. "Driving beat" does not mean techno - in fact - the examples I provided AREN'T techno. Trance and house are not techno.

I don't even know what trance, house, or techno are. So that's sorta excluding me.

Basically provide a beat with a song that provides heavenly/blissful progressions - make it sound airy, beautiful, accented with beautiful things.

Things like foresty flutes. Those are beautiful.
Things like airy pianos and harps and choirs. Those are beautiful.
Things like celestial bells and waves and starry synths. Those are beautiful.
Things like wind and more classical instruments - focusing on the high octaves and the high end of the spectrum. Give the user the feeling he is sailing away into the louds. That is beautiful.

Okay, I might be able to do that, but it won't sound like any of the examples. And it will be real light on the beat.

:Imagine god told you to make as song worthy of the heavens but he wanted to be able to groove to it. Think on that.

I'm imagining it now. That's going to mean something different to everyone. And that song sure doesn't fit with your examples.

And no.. country wouldn't really be fitting.

Thanks for responding.

:See it's easy to make an ambiant song, but people always then deprive them of percussion - I want to see the 2 combined so that you could dance to it in heaven, or in a forest full of elves. Or in the far expanses of the universe. Try to envision that :)

I'm still a little lost. Should I just add a jazz drum solo to a baroque piece?

I'm glad we're having this friendly discussion now instead of later. You use Internet Explorer, don't you, Chron?

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 14:14:47 Reply

I have a question. You said we cant submit DnB or Dubstep. But can i still make a liquidDnB its Drum And Bass with all the atmospheric sounds and melodies with the bass in the background.

YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 14:16:22 Reply

An example: http://soundcloud.com/spacefx/world-and-
bass-demo

Decibel
Decibel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 14:25:43 Reply

Guys. Calm, the Fuck, Down.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 17:01:08 Reply

At 4/5/11 02:14 PM, YouriX wrote: I have a question. You said we cant submit DnB or Dubstep. But can i still make a liquidDnB its Drum And Bass with all the atmospheric sounds and melodies with the bass in the background.

yes liquid dnb is fine because it's beautiful - I just want to weed out any of the genres that make "filthy" music as naturally it's not really relevant to this contest.

as for jazzy... try to keep the energy n the drums.. make the user wanna dance! High energy! Combined with relaxing heavenly/foresty/cosmic sounds. A wonderful contrast.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-05 17:04:35 Reply

At 4/5/11 02:16 PM, YouriX wrote: An example: http://soundcloud.com/spacefx/world-and-
bass-demo

yes.. that would be relevant - now picture where the bass is in the bg some nice high octaved choir mimicking those notes.. thatd make it even more heavenly.

Also remember you can't submit anything made (uploaded) to newgrounds before the contest began.

Also Winners of the March NAC have been given their store credit - Tom will announce them in the next post he makes.

Audio mods/mods - if you could please award the top 4 their places on the ngs front page either this week or next monday, that'd be great.

Thanks!

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 16:19:42 Reply

I am not entering the contest but I will more than gladly review the entries for the uplifting audio contest. I need some uplifting music to hear. Most likely won't be able to review every entry but for those who do want their piece reviewed they can send a message to me to my inbox. Love hearing uplifting sounds.

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 18:39:42 Reply

I am soooooo in for the Uplifting contest!!!

This is gonna be great! I've been waiting for a contest like this!!! :D

Btw what is the limit number of submissions? Cause I wanna make a dance and a trance track...

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 19:23:23 Reply

a ngs example thats sorta applicable:

• -'+ Serenity +'-
    -'+ Serenity +'- by Krussi

Click to listen.

Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Trance
    Popularity

it's got the foresty flutes.. so if you wanted to go down a route like that itd be acceptable - notice the wonderful driving beat.. with the serene flutes and piano in the bg - a wonderful combination of movement and calm. That's what we wanna see :)

just consider anything serene as the main melody, as well as serene stf and transitions, fluttery transitions, etc.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 19:25:31 Reply

At 4/6/11 06:39 PM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: I am soooooo in for the Uplifting contest!!!

Btw what is the limit number of submissions? Cause I wanna make a dance and a trance track...

limit is 2 pieces. Due to the close call of some of the previous contests we will let every user submit 2 pieces max.

You are also free to modify your piece up until the due date for submittions - which is always the third week of the month.

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 19:31:29 Reply

At 4/6/11 07:25 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 4/6/11 06:39 PM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: I am soooooo in for the Uplifting contest!!!

limit is 2 pieces. Due to the close call of some of the previous contests we will let every user submit 2 pieces max.

You are also free to modify your piece up until the due date for submittions - which is always the third week of the month.

Thats great! My dance track "Furor" is almost finished and I got a special suprise for all the uplifting trance lovers >:)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 19:38:13 Reply

At 4/6/11 07:31 PM, JohnnyFrizz wrote:
At 4/6/11 07:25 PM, Chronamut wrote:

Thats great! My dance track "Furor" is almost finished and I got a special suprise for all the uplifting trance lovers >:)

it better be upliftingly epic like the above link or I will eat you alive.

I dont wanna see no limp wristed pansy submissions - make it heavenly.. but make it STRONG - like a dance club in heaven that archangels would groove to :P

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 19:44:23 Reply

At 4/6/11 07:38 PM, Chronamut wrote: it better be upliftingly epic like the above link or I will eat you alive.

I dont wanna see no limp wristed pansy submissions - make it heavenly.. but make it STRONG - like a dance club in heaven that archangels would groove to :P

ROFL XD AWESOME!

Hahaha thats what I do best bro ; )

Promise I wont let ya down : )

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 20:05:57 Reply

This contest is sounding more and more like its trying to pull away from anything unique. I'm going to have to rethink everything that i do just for the sake of structure? And also just one opinion of heavenly doesn't really sit well with me. For one person heavenly is a major chord, to another it's a minor chord. To me it's a blend of the two resolving into the major chord. Honestly, i think we need more than just your definition of beautiful sounds there chron, because i feel like i'm being limited to only one view point and feel like i'll be punished for thinking one sound is beautiful and being disqualified for it.

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread 2011-04-06 23:12:38 Reply

At 4/6/11 08:05 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: This contest is sounding more and more like its trying to pull away from anything unique. I'm going to have to rethink everything that i do just for the sake of structure? And also just one opinion of heavenly doesn't really sit well with me. For one person heavenly is a major chord, to another it's a minor chord. To me it's a blend of the two resolving into the major chord. Honestly, i think we need more than just your definition of beautiful sounds there chron, because i feel like i'm being limited to only one view point and feel like i'll be punished for thinking one sound is beautiful and being disqualified for it.

I think he means uplifting as in happy/joyfull! Minor scale's are usually for sad/touching/emotional music.

The point here is to create a track that fills you with joy and excitement PLUS it has to have calm and beautiful parts that makes you feel good instead of depress you or make you cry ^^

At least thats how I see it.