Be a Supporter!

Nac General Discussion Thread

  • 53,121 Views
  • 915 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 13th, 2011 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 3/13/11 05:25 PM, Decibel wrote:
At 3/13/11 04:21 PM, SBB wrote: The judges' ears are going to smell like diabetes after listening to all the entries but sure, fun idea :)
SBB, I challenge you to make progressive house for next month :P

I'm not so sure what it is really. Is it long house-type songs that add or remove one element from the song every 30-60 seconds?

examples?

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 13th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

Maybe a more precise term for that would be Uplifting Ambience? Either way I'd totally go for that, I'd been planning on making an ambient-ish song anyway.

Decibel
Decibel
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 10:13 AM Reply

At 3/13/11 05:35 PM, SBB wrote:
At 3/13/11 05:25 PM, Decibel wrote:
At 3/13/11 04:21 PM, SBB wrote: The judges' ears are going to smell like diabetes after listening to all the entries but sure, fun idea :)
SBB, I challenge you to make progressive house for next month :P
I'm not so sure what it is really. Is it long house-type songs that add or remove one element from the song every 30-60 seconds?

examples?

It's one of those ultimate generic songs with that sidechain pluck on every second and at about every 16 bars the cutoff increases and decreases for about one bar.

Up for it?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 02:03 PM Reply

there is a fine linem between progressive house and progressive trance, but this would be an example of one or the other - other examples are "the sound from the above" series on youtube which it links to at the end of this video.

and yes uplifting ambiance would probably be a better way of describing - although I don't know if I would want to make it strictly ambiant - you can have heavenly classical, beavenly techno, hell even heavenly happy hardcore or hardstyle.

It's all in adding that interlaced beautiful aspect to it that pretty much resounds in all my music and is pretty much a large part of who I am as a musician :)


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Decibel
Decibel
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: there is a fine linem between progressive house and progressive trance, but this would be an example of one or the other - other examples are "the sound from the above" series on youtube which it links to at the end of this video.

I still think we should do some kind of 'ibiza' theme though ^^

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: and yes uplifting ambiance would probably be a better way of describing - although I don't know if I would want to make it strictly ambiant - you can have heavenly classical, beavenly techno, hell even heavenly happy hardcore or hardstyle.

So you mean the entire uplifting subgenre, then, since there's uplifting trance, uplifting ambient, uplifting whatever-you-want. "Uplifting" here essentially being a replacement for "heavenly".

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 02:50 PM Reply

At 3/14/11 02:42 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:
So you mean the entire uplifting subgenre, then, since there's uplifting trance, uplifting ambient, uplifting whatever-you-want. "Uplifting" here essentially being a replacement for "heavenly".

yeah pretty much :)


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 14th, 2011 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 3/13/11 04:06 PM, Chronamut wrote: Stuff.

April NAC=Mexican for Cinco de Mayo, duh? Plus, while Irish music sucks, everyone loves the hat dance.


I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 12:51 AM Reply

At 3/14/11 08:43 PM, WerewNC wrote:
At 3/13/11 04:06 PM, Chronamut wrote: Stuff.
April NAC=Mexican for Cinco de Mayo, duh? Plus, while Irish music sucks, everyone loves the hat dance.

too obscure.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Member since: May. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 3/1/11 04:43 PM, Chronamut wrote: - like folk metal, etc etc etc.

Lolololol.


My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:56 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 12:51 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 3/14/11 08:43 PM, WerewNC wrote: April NAC=Mexican for Cinco de Mayo, duh?
too obscure.

Spaghetti western-style? That's always seemed like a really fun style of music to write. Morricone's music always captured the tension, emotion, and somehow even the expansiveness of the Old American West. Could be a fun style to try, even for our non-film-composers. (For example, our house and techno artists could try and make something that sounds like Ennio Morricone on Acid -- like this track from TimeSplitters 2.)

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 02:29 AM Reply

Ya ive gotta say this months genre/theme was pretty fail, i said before in this thread that producers wont go that far out of their genre comfort zone lol.

But anyways so uplifting anything next month?

Imo setting the theme to a mood isnt that good of a choice, a mood is such a subjective way to judge.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Member since: May. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 03:16 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 02:29 AM, jpbear wrote: Ya ive gotta say this months genre/theme was pretty fail, i said before in this thread that producers wont go that far out of their genre comfort zone lol.

But anyways so uplifting anything next month?

Imo setting the theme to a mood isnt that good of a choice, a mood is such a subjective way to judge.

Really now? Ever heard of RAC? Where everyone makes songs that represent a country (i.e. RAC)?

Muthafuckas did some folkey shit up in that contest that was way out from what they normally do.

My theory is that everyone saw the, "get drunk," part and are all out drinking and forgot about the NAC. At least it'd be a feasible excuse.


My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 03:16 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
My theory is that everyone saw the, "get drunk," part and are all out drinking and forgot about the NAC. At least it'd be a feasible excuse.

I've been drinking everyday.I may not have Irish blood in me but I'm Irish in spirit yeah?

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:56 AM, RampantMusik wrote: Spaghetti western-style

Oh, yes, please. I wouldn't miss that for the world. It would be the best NAC so far.


I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 11:11 AM Reply

Make the April NAC Easter Bunny Themed and leave it to the participants to interprete what that means :P

Decibel
Decibel
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

At 3/15/11 11:11 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: Make the April NAC Easter Bunny Themed and leave it to the participants to interprete what that means :P

Wow, this isn't.. I can't even...

wow.
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:23 PM Reply

lol I think I'll stick with uplifting,..

as for this month's NAC- the idea was brilliant - and there is still a week left - and users have commented they are still working on this - if it's a failure on anyones part its a failure on the contestants parts for not willing to make music that isn't electronic *shrugs*


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
hamstercake
hamstercake
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 02:29 AM, jpbear wrote:
My theory is that everyone saw the, "get drunk," part and are all out drinking and forgot about the NAC. At least it'd be a feasible excuse.

Do you think that the judges "saw" that aswell?!!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:27 PM, hamstercake wrote:
At 3/15/11 02:29 AM, jpbear wrote:
My theory is that everyone saw the, "get drunk," part and are all out drinking and forgot about the NAC. At least it'd be a feasible excuse.
Do you think that the judges "saw" that aswell?!!

really though - it's just lack of effort - hell you could do it with a violin and flute vsti - god knows I have in the past.

I have to say I'm quite disappointed so far.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
hamstercake
hamstercake
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Maybe people are just trying to go "OVERKILL" and combining that with alcohol... ...
There´s still one week to go =)

alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:42 PM Reply

Wait, can we submit 2 pieces for an NAC? Especially for one with only 3 entries LOL


------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:34 PM, hamstercake wrote: Maybe people are just trying to go "OVERKILL" and combining that with alcohol... ...
There´s still one week to go =)

yes. I think my lack of bumping it probably didn't help either - resultign in less people being aware of it's existance - I will have to do progress bumps from now on for situations like those. That's the only problem when you make a contest where you can only post submissions in the thread. The others were fine because it was a rather popular idea but this one's a little more out there.

anyways I hope I get proven wrong and get a SLEW of submissions in the final week.

NO PRESSURE OTR ANYTHING ANYONE.

NO PRESSURE AT ALL..

bares teeth in a scary smile

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:42 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Wait, can we submit 2 pieces for an NAC? Especially for one with only 3 entries LOL

you know what - for this one - if you want to - go on ahead!

the macs I believe also had that option where you could submit 2 pieces.

no more than 2 though :P


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:46 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 3/15/11 01:42 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Wait, can we submit 2 pieces for an NAC? Especially for one with only 3 entries LOL
you know what - for this one - if you want to - go on ahead!

the macs I believe also had that option where you could submit 2 pieces.

no more than 2 though :P

Well thanks! =D


------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
hamstercake
hamstercake
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:44 PM, Chronamut wrote:
yes. I think my lack of bumping it probably didn't help either - resultign in less people being aware of it's existance - I will have to do progress bumps from now on for situations like those. That's the only problem when you make a contest where you can only post submissions in the thread. The others were fine because it was a rather popular idea but this one's a little more out there.

What was the overall response when deciding this NAC? I know i would have cheered, but i found out about this NAC a week after it had started.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:53 PM, hamstercake wrote:
What was the overall response when deciding this NAC? I know i would have cheered, but i found out about this NAC a week after it had started.

seemed like a good enough reception..

*shrugs*


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
hamstercake
hamstercake
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:56 PM, Chronamut wrote:
seemed like a good enough reception..

Then, there´s nothing to be worried about

Or is there...
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 01:59 PM, hamstercake wrote:
At 3/15/11 01:56 PM, Chronamut wrote:
seemed like a good enough reception..
Then, there´s nothing to be worried about

Or is there...

agreed.

I've also stated before that I'd rather see people use the entire 3 weeks to work on a song then just pump one out the first day - so the only way I will be able to determine whether this was a success or a failure will be to see what happens after this week.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
hamstercake
hamstercake
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Nac General Discussion Thread Mar. 15th, 2011 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 3/15/11 02:15 PM, Chronamut wrote:
agreed.

I've also stated before that I'd rather see people use the entire 3 weeks to work on a song then just pump one out the first day - so the only way I will be able to determine whether this was a success or a failure will be to see what happens after this week.

That´s right. Rather have HQ songs than multiple 1:30 samples