Be a Supporter!

Syncopation Catharsis

  • 455 Views
  • 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 24th, 2010 @ 01:34 AM Reply

Next semester is the final one for my four year art school fiesta. I'll have to build up a thesis and a collection of work. Seeing as how I'm more interested in sound art than visual art I'm thinking of focusing around the idea of uncommon time signatures within DJ sets. To my knowledge most if not all music within DJ sets are divisible by 4/4. If you guys know of any exceptions, please tell me. I thought it seemed like a relatively unique idea. Awkward time signatures make mixing seem impossible but if I mix using my own original reason files I can change things up on the fly and use my tracks like glue in situations where the mix needs to change it's flow. Also, don't tell me it's a bad idea/ is impossible to mix straight from my DAW. I've been doing it for a little over year and it works pretty swell.

Now I'm going to ask for two things out of you guys: music and info. If any of you have made, will make or know of songs in uncommon divisions such as 7/4 let me know. I want to start building up a library of syncopated sounds to work with. I'll also need a little info on the tracks such as BPM and what the time signatures are. All credit will be given to the artists selected and no money shall be made in this journey. Dumb step producers, no need to comment unless you don't want me using your stuff. I know who you guys are already :p


Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Member since: Nov. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

I really have no goddamn idea what your talking about.

I thought you were at first going to mix music on a turntable, then you brought reason in so i assumed your just going to make music of different time sigs then play it on a turntable, then it sounded like you wear going to program a track live on reason while spinning it on a turntable.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM Reply

If you're looking for artists you can sample that don't always use 4/4 I'd suggest Aphex Twin, Four Tet etc, Try sampling some baltic or indian folk music, african drumming or even some prog rock and you'll find lots of strange rhythmic groupings.

Of course if the tempo of the two is the same there's no reason you can't put say a 7/4 loop over a 4/4 loop - you can get some cool effects where the pattern repeats on an alternate beat and syncs up breifly etc. etc. Try taking 2 or 4 bars from Two Heart's In 3/4 Time by The Avalanches and throwing it over a 4/4 drum beat. It's all trial and error with this kind of stuff.

Burn7
Burn7
  • Member since: Aug. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 08:17 PM Reply

I don't really know many DJ's that perform in odd time signatures, but from what I've heard Bassnectar does some pretty triptastic things. I think it's all still 4/4, but there sure is a lot of leeway in the beats. But then again, it's dub, so there's the reason. If you want an example, skip to around 1:10 in his Seek & Destroy Remix.

My personal theory of why 4/4 is the most common time signature is because most people conform to an even, symmetrical normality. Musically, 4/4 is symmetrical and balanced (There can be a certain degree of asymmetry within the 4/4 such as with the Bassnectar song up there, but I digress) and most DJ's try to keep a "Flow" about their work. When you go into an uneven time signature (3/4, 5/4, 13/4) it can melodically sound great, but the uneven "flow" causes our brain to notice the skewed, unbalanced nature of the song.

Aaaanyway, good luck with it. Sounds like it's gonna be super interesting :)


Stay in School? Don't do drugs? Screw that, both Steve Jobs AND Hitler dropped out! And they both took drugs! That's how you make history, fool. Don't be average. Be awesome.

BBS Signature
TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Member since: Nov. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 12/25/10 08:17 PM, Burn7 wrote:
My personal theory of why 4/4 is the most common time signature is...

i think a good artist should just flow his music and write it as it feels. I feel like most artist do that, and most songs are really polynominal. but we tend to think that a song is 4/4 unless its really odd in rhythm. Also another point is that alot artist, my self included start out on programs. and its a bit harder to write a non 4/4 song in a program. much easier to play one on an instrument. but thats imo

MJTTOMB
MJTTOMB
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 12/25/10 08:17 PM, Burn7 wrote: My personal theory of why 4/4 is the most common time signature is because most people conform to an even, symmetrical normality.

Actually, it's probably because early music was tied to dance forms, and people have two feet, thus why dance steps were symmetrical and divided in twos. If humans naturally had three legs, music as we know it today would be radically different.


BBS Signature
Burn7
Burn7
  • Member since: Aug. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 25th, 2010 @ 11:37 PM Reply

At 12/25/10 10:59 PM, MJTTOMB wrote: Actually, it's probably because early music was tied to dance forms, and people have two feet, thus why dance steps were symmetrical and divided in twos. If humans naturally had three legs, music as we know it today would be radically different.

God that makes more sense. Pot gives you interesting ideas, but it makes you miss the obvious ones :P


Stay in School? Don't do drugs? Screw that, both Steve Jobs AND Hitler dropped out! And they both took drugs! That's how you make history, fool. Don't be average. Be awesome.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 01:11 AM Reply

I have a cut version of a song I made in 5/4, but I don't know where I put the full version.
Sorry.

  • Robotics Expert (NG CUT)
    Robotics Expert (NG CUT) by Space-Whale

    Click to listen.

    Score
    3.71 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Drum N Bass
    Popularity
    63 Views


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 02:06 AM Reply

Pretty much EVERY song ever made by Venetian Snares, with an exception for a select few, are in odd time signatures, mostly 7/4, and he performs those live in a DJ set. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've got around 14 or 15 liveset recordings of his if you'd like to listen further. Just PM me about it.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 12/25/10 07:12 PM, TimeBender wrote: I really have no goddamn idea what your talking about.

uhhh, dude ima mix my own stuff into a DJ set straight out of reason in conjunction with an electronic DJ mixing apparatus.

At 12/25/10 07:50 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: MUR

thanks for that response. good ideas and artists and wut not.At 12/26/10 02:06 AM, poopr1221 wrote:

Pretty much EVERY song ever made by Venetian Snares, with an exception for a select few, are in odd time signatures, mostly 7/4, and he performs those live in a DJ set. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've got around 14 or 15 liveset recordings of his if you'd like to listen further. Just PM me about it.

word. i've listened to some of their stuff but those amen breaks kind of turned me off just a tad... of course the first song of theirs i googled is in 7/8. thanks :)


Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 03:08 AM Reply

I have been experimenting with nearly random time signatures in songs to create dream like atmospheres that represent the subconscious.. lol im so lame. Correct me if im wrong here, since I havent had any musical lessons whatsoever and simply have taught myself over the years, but doesn't this song have an odd time signature?

  • Breathe With Me
    Breathe With Me by FatKidWitAJetPak

    Click to listen.

    Score
    4.29 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity
    8,565 Views

This might be an odd example though, since it is more of a headphone song than anything. It could, however, be a prime example of how an odd time signature could be used for atmospherical progressions and setting strange moods.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 05:30 PM Reply

sorry dude, but im not looking for ambient music. im looking for tracks with drums that can be mixed into a DJ set, specifically syncopated dance music.


Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

paublo666
paublo666
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 12:05 AM Reply

red seas fire, a djent band uses synthesizers and they have some pretty crazy time signatures

so does winds of plague i think...

probly not helpful though lol

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 01:41 AM Reply

Aphex Twin is pretty awesome.

Really though, you should probably look outside of that DJ shit and into more interesting, experimental types of music. 4/4 is only common in pop music, because most people are stupid and like music that puts their mind to sleep with hypnosis.

Only people without a real sense of rhythm demand that a piece has a steady beat and stays in 4/4 throughout. A lot of the most complicated music ever composed was originally made to be danced to.. Like, say, "Le Sacre Du Printemps" by Igor Stravinsky. You all are probably disco folks who probably suck at dancing though, so that wouldn't be your bag.

If you listen to music with odd rhythm, you eventually feel it naturally. This whole nursery rhyme 4/4 shit is not universal in all cultures.

Envy
Envy
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 01:50 AM Reply

This is all.


At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 03:29 AM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo14leNRh RQ

Old amazing DDR track that's a dance tune written in 7/4. And it changes to 4/4 at the end.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Syncopation Catharsis Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 12/27/10 01:41 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

\

Only people without a real sense of rhythm demand that a piece has a steady beat and stays in 4/4 throughout. A lot of the most complicated music ever composed was originally made to be danced to.. Like, say, "Le Sacre Du Printemps" by Igor Stravinsky. You all are probably disco folks who probably suck at dancing though, so that wouldn't be your bag.

dude, i love romantic era shit. i play piano dood. careful what you say in a forum full of musicians you turd.


Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.