New Topic Respond to this Topic
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:50 PM Reply

Hey all, this YouTube channel, GaragebandandBeyond is a pretty cool place to look, if you want to hone in on using the program. The guy behind it seems to have a pretty useful set of vids on mixing 'n' mastering, among others.

Also, does anyone have GB '11? I still don't, but am wondering what others think of that version, if they have it.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 26th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM Reply

Hey Garageband users, this time around, I need your help! I've been curious as to how to make a bass pitch drop sound the right way. I tried doing the pitchbend by hand, but I don't know if its limitations or what, but I can't seem to have the ending pitch part have an "indistinct" feel to it, as to not be able to know right away what pitch the bass drops to.

I don't know if I should look into getting an AU or software instrument that'd do the job on its own or what. I can only best describe it by the following example:

If there are others outside of GB that know how to achieve what they're hearing in the song, please let me know; perhaps I may be able to use the same technique/AU/synth.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 09:23 AM Reply

At 9/26/11 07:01 PM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote:
I don't know if I should look into getting an AU or software instrument that'd do the job on its own or what. I can only best describe it by the following example:

When in the example is the sound your looking for? I skimmed through it right quick and must have missed the pitch bend...

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 12:16 PM Reply

The bass drop comes in at 0:05 and 0:17.

You will most likely need headphones to hear the bass pitch drops. I know I did.

Hope that helps!

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 03:06 PM Reply

Oh that. Welp, that's pretty easy to do in most programs but the only thing I can think of with GB is to zoom in on the midi and manually write out each chromatic interval :/

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 03:57 PM Reply

Just manually use the pitch bend until it sounds about right, im not sure what else you can do.

What plug-ins do you use? certain instruments drops an entire octave while some only drop a note.

BBS Signature
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 9/27/11 03:57 PM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Just manually use the pitch bend until it sounds about right, im not sure what else you can do.

What plug-ins do you use? certain instruments drops an entire octave while some only drop a note.

I actually don't believe I have a plug-in that can drop it (as in AU?). And on the topic of pitch-bends, I was using a bass synth like the Deep Round Synth Bass or Orchestra Deep Bass. I only seem to be able to drop 60 points below the normal pitch. If there are instruments out there with "100" or as you indicated, a full octave drop, let me know.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Sep. 28th, 2011 @ 03:32 PM Reply

1. Use the "Analog Mono" AU thats standard, just play around whit the sound until you get the sound you want.

2. There should be something called "Glide" or something, set it to long.

3. Play the note you want it to bend from, then play the not you want it to bend to.

You should get a decent drop by doing this, if you are using Massive, then there should be an option to set how much it will react to your pitch bend under "Voicing" and "Pitch Bend"

BBS Signature
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 02:32 AM Reply

Need a cymbal swell similar to the one featured in the Sympony Orchestra Jam Pack, only for rock or electronica drum sets.

Please and thank you!

MikeyDee
MikeyDee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to find a good Garageband for PC alternative and I'm having trouble finding something as close as possible. I was looking on http://djtouchbeats.com/garageband-for-windows-7.html and they suggested a whole bunch of 'DAW' programs which are meant to do the same thing but they all seemed really complicated and I've used GarageBand once before which seemed easier.

Can anyone suggest something as close to GarageBand as possible but would work on Windows or is there a way to run GarageBand on a PC with emulation or VM for example?

Thanks!

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 01:14 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 12:12 PM, MikeyDee wrote: Hey everyone!

I'm trying to find a good Garageband for PC alternative and I'm having trouble finding something as close as possible. I was looking on http://djtouchbeats.com/garageband-for-windows-7.html and they suggested a whole bunch of 'DAW' programs which are meant to do the same thing but they all seemed really complicated and I've used GarageBand once before which seemed easier.

Can anyone suggest something as close to GarageBand as possible but would work on Windows or is there a way to run GarageBand on a PC with emulation or VM for example?

Thanks!

I suggest looking into giving MixCraft a try. It's about as close to GarageBand as I think one can get. Here's a tutorial on YouTube that complements the latest version.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ Nov. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:54 PM Reply

Hey, I was just finding out from my subscription to GarageBandandBeyond that GarageBand X (yes it seems this version jump from version 6.x mimics that of Apple's QuickTime player), is now out!

I don't have the upgrade yet, though the new interface and features I saw so far have answered and raised some questions to my mind.

GB10 looks like a clone of Logic Pro X, moreso than previous versions of either DAWs. Dunno why Apple's done this, though it seems to suggest a stronger and easier transition from GB to Logic, and back again!

If anyone has this now, I'd LOVE to hear reviews of this new standalone (you heard right, GBX is essentially it's own separate DAW, having little to no relation to previous versions) DAW.