New Topic Respond to this Topic
sparrow
sparrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 03:53:56 Reply

I woke up this morning at exactly 5:34 because I just couldn't sleep properly. I went out with some friends last night for a couple of beers which was great but I've been having problems due to the way in which I think about my lifestyle and the way in which it negatively effects my general well-being.

Over the past few months or so I've completely taken a bad direction in my overall health. Firstly, I never seem to get enough sleep. I cope with this quite well but it's slowly starting to catch up on me.

Secondly, I don't appear to cook myself. Over the last few months I have eaten very unhealthily, trying to justify being lazy in this respect by saying it's fine because I am a student.

There are many other areas which I've become unhappy about and I am willingly to completely change my lifestyle. I know this won't be easy and will be tough to break free from bad habits, but I was wondering if any NGers have decided to do this same thing recently or in the past and whether they could give me any tips of changing the way they behave and live?

Sup?

BBS Signature
Seamonkeyman
Seamonkeyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 04:01:14 Reply

Enjoy life while you're young.
You can complain all you want when you're old how you made poor decisions in life.

Like the rest of the elderly.

Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 04:04:37 Reply

Same here, but I workout so I don't give a fuck.

BBS Signature
sparrow
sparrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 04:15:12 Reply

At 12/17/10 04:01 AM, Seamonkeyman wrote: Enjoy life while you're young.
You can complain all you want when you're old how you made poor decisions in life.

Like the rest of the elderly.

That's the thing though, I want to live a balanced lifestyle so I don't regret doing bad things when I'm old.

Sup?

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 06:51:40 Reply

Depends on what you want to achieve out of changing your lifestyle, and how your resolve will hold. As for changing your lifestyle, itself, going cold turkey isn't the best idea. Go to bed earlier bit by bit, until you're getting a decent amount of sleep, and as for cooking, you have no excuse. You've got the internet. It's the best cookbook. Search up vids, recipes, and fucking well learn. Shouldn't take long.

Overall, good luck.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 07:06:53 Reply

My ideal routine would be waking up just after sunrise, having a quick cup of coffee or cereal or anything with some energy, and then head off for a 2-4 mile jog, grab the paper on my way back and *then* start my day.

Poopychat
Poopychat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 07:38:51 Reply

lolno your such a liar

MoRGoT1-1
MoRGoT1-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 09:23:10 Reply

Well i do the same when my session is about to end because there is soooo many works i need to finish with exam etc..., but it usually last for a couple of week, after that i start doing exercise and about cooking... well i enjoy cooking ;) its not to hard to put some vegetable in there and eat fruit during the day...

Don't forget the fiber!!! have bread (brown) in the morning and eat some granola bar during the day and exercise !!! thats the only way of staying fit... and im no gym person i exercise by jogging to the bus or taking walk. I know what you mean by you don't feel healthy when all you do is eat bad and drink beer with friend, the idea here is to do good things to your health so you can do the bad thing (like drinking) im a big drinker so i need to stay in shape in order to enjoy that drink :P

Cry while training to laugh on the battlefield

GotTheBlues
GotTheBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 09:24:43 Reply

At 12/17/10 03:53 AM, sparrow wrote: I don't appear to cook myself.

Isn't that a good thing?

"jesus came down and told me to stop using the lord's name in vain and i was all like "fuck u bitch" shit ws so cahs$$$$$$" - Irrelephant

BBS Signature
AlphaFemme
AlphaFemme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 09:26:41 Reply

At 12/17/10 07:06 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: My ideal routine would be waking up just after sunrise, having a quick cup of coffee or cereal or anything with some energy, and then head off for a 2-4 mile jog, grab the paper on my way back and *then* start my day.

It's all about behavior change. You just can't take a leap and think that it will stick. You have to start slowly. Just change one thing at a time. For example, start with the exercise. That's the hardest one to nip in the bud.

BBS Signature
ChainsawNinjaZX
ChainsawNinjaZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 10:13:08 Reply

To get the best natural sleep possible:

Don't drink alcohol.
Don't do drugs.
Get off the computer at LEAST 30 minutes before you go to bed.
Have a regular sleep schedule and follow it even on your days off.
Have at least 8 hours of sleep required in your sleep schedule.
Reduce stress levels.

If you want to be physically fit:

Stretch everyday.
Run a mile 3-5 days a week. Work up to more miles.
Do a certain amount of pushups and situps. Build up slowly.
Don't drink alcohol.
Don't do drugs.
Eat healthier. You don't have to cook to do this, just buy celery and bananas, maybe some strawberries to go with it.
Cut down TV and internet time.

If you want to improve your social life:

Spend time with your family (a meaningful amount).
Do community service/ volunteer.
Cut down TV and internet time.
Learn new things (instruments, language, etc.).
Be the designated driver.

Hope this helps you. Making changes isn't easy, but if you want to change this is a great start.

bipolarmunkey
bipolarmunkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 10:37:56 Reply

At 12/17/10 03:53 AM, sparrow wrote: I woke up this morning at exactly 5:34 because I just couldn't sleep properly. I went out with some friends last night for a couple of beers which was great but I've been having problems due to the way in which I think about my lifestyle and the way in which it negatively effects my general well-being.

Over the past few months or so I've completely taken a bad direction in my overall health. Firstly, I never seem to get enough sleep. I cope with this quite well but it's slowly starting to catch up on me.

Secondly, I don't appear to cook myself. Over the last few months I have eaten very unhealthily, trying to justify being lazy in this respect by saying it's fine because I am a student.

There are many other areas which I've become unhappy about and I am willingly to completely change my lifestyle. I know this won't be easy and will be tough to break free from bad habits, but I was wondering if any NGers have decided to do this same thing recently or in the past and whether they could give me any tips of changing the way they behave and live?

Lack of sleep, huh? I know what you mean, I wake up at 11pm to go to work til about 10am. It definitely catches up with you. I recently have thought the same thing. I've started eating healthier and am looking for a new job (3 years is enough at UPS). Hope things work out for you.

Shmossy
Shmossy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Lifestyle Changes. 2010-12-17 10:42:49 Reply

At 12/17/10 10:13 AM, ChainsawNinjaZX wrote: To get the best natural sleep possible...

If you want to be physically fit...

If you want to improve your social life...

I agree with this.
OP, you should do what he says.

BBS Signature