New Topic Respond to this Topic
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 20th, 2011 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Oblivion was fun before Skyrim came out.

Skyrim was fun before X came out.

X was fun before Y came out.

Y was fun before Zed came out.

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 20th, 2011 @ 11:26 PM Reply

I never thought that the voice acting to get worse than it was in Oblivion. But DAMN. Farengar Secret-Fire is a pain to listen too.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 20th, 2011 @ 11:43 PM Reply

M'aiq the Liar: "Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible. And very, very quiet."
Oh my god, it all makes sense!

BBS Signature
wafflecake12
wafflecake12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 12:07 AM Reply

I love using the become ethereal shout, and then jumping off cliffs. Saves a lot of time.

Gamertag: Evilchicken43
"Screw those people, I have pancakes."
Sig by simon

BBS Signature
Screch
Screch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 12:07 AM, wafflecake12 wrote: I love using the become ethereal shout, and then jumping off cliffs. Saves a lot of time.

Lmao.. I never thought of that... on the flip though i do like shouting people OFF of cliffs

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 05:27 AM Reply

So far the only things I miss from Oblivion are Shivering Isles and the excellent scenery with the Imperial City. That's not saying the scenery in Skyrim is bad but it's missing that excellent view where you can spot one monumental city from many locations. What I certainly don't miss from Oblivion is the level scaling they had. That really fucked me up a few times. If I go back to Oblivion, I will realise how outdated the graphics look and how goofy looking some of the characters are now.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 06:16 AM Reply

My follower Onmund decided to become a pacifist apparently, because even if I send him back to the college and then go tell him to follow me again, he still won't fight. So I've just been using him as a pack mule to carry all my heavy loot.

UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 07:37 AM Reply

I'll be honest, I wasn't going to get Skyrim, but I've been watching a few Skyrim videos on YouTube and it looks pretty frigging amazing. I've gotten back into Oblivion just so I can get Skyrim after I beat it :)

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 05:27 AM, Bahamut wrote: So far the only things I miss from Oblivion are Shivering Isles and the excellent scenery with the Imperial City. That's not saying the scenery in Skyrim is bad but it's missing that excellent view where you can spot one monumental city from many locations. What I certainly don't miss from Oblivion is the level scaling they had. That really fucked me up a few times. If I go back to Oblivion, I will realise how outdated the graphics look and how goofy looking some of the characters are now.

Oblivion has some fun moments and it was one of my favorite games of all time until I got Skyrim. Ugh, remember the freaking menus in Oblivion? It was a disaster. Oh well, Oblivion had some cool quest that I wish they would have re-imagined.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 08:04 AM, Cootie wrote: Ugh, remember the freaking menus in Oblivion? It was a disaster. Oh well, Oblivion had some cool quest that I wish they would have re-imagined.

I quite liked Oblivions menus. The only thing that I didn't like so much about then was the slight delay when switching between them that happened from time to time.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 10:07 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 05:27 AM, Bahamut wrote: So far the only things I miss from Oblivion are Shivering Isles and the excellent scenery with the Imperial City.

Agreed.

Skyrim seems to take itself a little too seriously with the environment, even down to the races inhabiting it. Everything is snowy and uninspired, with a few exceptions, and 75% of the NPCs are boring humans.

Even certain quests that transport you to a realm of Oblivion or into a dream are very dull looking. Remember the painting quest in Oblivion? Or Shivering Isles in general? Yeah, nothing like that from Skyrim; everything seems to be grimdark and puts realism first.

Only detracts slightly from the game's awesomeness, though.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 10:34 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 10:21 AM, Tramps wrote: Let my mate borrow Skyrim because I wasn't playing it much at all. Hopefully I'll miss it and want to play it when I get it back.

What made you stop playing?! I've basically been on it all day for the last two days. Although this is the first time I've been able to have a proper geek session with it. Prior to this I've only been able to play for a couple hours at a time.

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 10:34 AM, Dean wrote:
At 11/21/11 10:21 AM, Tramps wrote: Let my mate borrow Skyrim because I wasn't playing it much at all. Hopefully I'll miss it and want to play it when I get it back.
What made you stop playing?! I've basically been on it all day for the last two days. Although this is the first time I've been able to have a proper geek session with it. Prior to this I've only been able to play for a couple hours at a time.

when you get to about 40+ hours, you will see why. the game starts to get a bit monotous because you've seen most of it before. you would have done most of the sidequests and there is little left to explore that will genuinely interest you. that being said, still goty etc etc

i love the voice acting, especially the male voices because there are two that sound amazing. the guy who does the voice for Farkas which is used for many other npcs too is amazing. there's another random male npc voice that i love and Ulfuric's voice is rad too.

also, my sneaky khajit-heavy-amour-two-handed-weapon-sec ond-playthrough is hella fun. one shotting most mobs on the way to riften to FINALLY FINISH THE THIEVES GUILD QUESTLINE

curved swords. CURVED SWORDS

hey

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 10:58 AM, Crink wrote: when you get to about 40+ hours, you will see why.

At 46 hours and I still feel like I have a ton of stuff to do and places to explore. I'm nowhere near bored of this game yet.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

I'm probably nearing 60 hours gameplay and I just finished the main questline, I still feel like I have a tonne of stuff to get done, which I do.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 12:18 PM Reply

I'll definitely be aiming to get all the achievements for this, so that will add some play time to the game for me, as if Skyrim needs more hours of playtime anyway. If it's anything like Oblivion, I'll want to do several playthroughs as well. I'm a little less compelled to do that now though, seeing as we have access to all the skills anyway, but I'd like to play through as a Breton mage as well, which is my usual second character in TES games.

BBS Signature
djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 11:42 AM, Snuff wrote: I'm probably nearing 60 hours gameplay and I just finished the main questline, I still feel like I have a tonne of stuff to get done, which I do.

58+ hours and I still have more quests than I can complete in another 60 hours. Also for those worried about dragons disappearing, I recently completed the main quest in order to get all the dragon priest masks and I'm in the middle of a fight with an elder dragon so it's safe to say that they're still around after.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 12:43 PM Reply

I'm getting tempted to make a second character now, but I'm only level 38 and I want to finish the Thieves Guild and Imperial Legion questline. I also started the College of Winterhold and then forgot all about it. I have so much on my plate I can't help but get distracted by other quests which seem more fun.

At the moment I'm running errands for the Imperial Legion, taking forts and such, it's a lot of fun I have to say. The battles are awesome and I hope there are quite a lot of them, it's a good way of increasing my Block and One-Handed.

Speaking of which, I got to 100 Sneak legitimately and got the final perk though I have yet to use it. I have to say, silent rolling is very useful when you only have a limited window of opportunity to sneak behind someone, it's basically sprinting in sneak mode. Also I often don't even need to go into sneak mode, especially if I'm looting someone's house while they sleep, they never hear me when I run around and knock all their stuff over.

I can't help but sneak on pretty much any character I do, whether it be on Skyrim, Oblivion or even Fallout 3. I loved sneaking around Raider camps with a Silenced 10mm Pistol and killing all of them without them even knowing I was there in the first place.

Also, handy tip in case anybody is confused like I was as to how to move items, you hold down the A button (on xbox, X on PS3 and probably SPACE on PC), it works pretty much the same as Fallout 3, maybe a little less OTT though, but definitely better than Oblivion where you could hardly move a body. It's also something you need to know if you want to get a bonus from one of the Dark Brotherhood quests when you're required to move a body out of sight. I'm happy they've still got it (I thought they removed it), I love making battle scenes look awesome by putting bodies all around, yeah I know I'm weird but it's pretty fun.

Oh yeah, and to the person who asked about Dragons staying after you finish the main questline, they're still there, I assume they're a bit rarer to encounter but they might not be, I've only fought one since.

Another thing, is anyone else overstocked on Dragon Souls? When I first got the game I always had a Word of Power but no Soul to unlock it, now I have 15 dragon souls and no Words of Power to unlock. It's not a big deal because they don't exactly weigh anything but I would still prefer to have some use for all of them.

/longpost
Jawd
Jawd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 01:44 PM Reply

I hate recycled dungeons. But not as much as recycled voices. But nowhere near as much as recycled dialogue. But hey, cabbages!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 02:37 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 01:44 PM, Jawd wrote: I hate recycled dungeons. But not as much as recycled voices. But nowhere near as much as recycled dialogue. But hey, cabbages!

I noticed a lot of recycled voices as well. But it isn't so bad as in Oblivion.

Also, anyone feel like killing that guy in the Companions' guild that keeps saying stuff like "I'd be dead if it wasn't for Vignar. He took me in and saved my life." or something like that. Seems like every time I'd go near him, he says the same damn thing.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 02:37 PM, MiroDK wrote:
Also, anyone feel like killing that guy in the Companions' guild that keeps saying stuff like "I'd be dead if it wasn't for Vignar. He took me in and saved my life." or something like that. Seems like every time I'd go near him, he says the same damn thing.

If you think those people are annoying, I'd like you to meet Noober.

Quite literally the most annoying NPC ever conceived.

hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 01:44 PM, Jawd wrote: I hate recycled dungeons. But not as much as recycled voices. But nowhere near as much as recycled dialogue. But hey, cabbages!

Walking through Whiterun, that fucking lady: "Looking for my husband, Nazeem?..." I've heard it A THOUSAND times, run into my house. She fucking follows me into my house: "...check the Jarl's backside, that's usually where he stuffs himself" *kindly leaves* Is the annoying repeated dialogue really that important that NPC's will follow you into your house to finish their line? I REALLY wish they would have gotten rid of the whole "NPC's randomly saying the same shit every time you get near them and continuing to talk to you even if you walk off" thing. At least they seem to have gotten rid of the "NPC's staring at you when you're close" thing. That shit was just creepy. I always remember when I first brought Martin and Jauffre to Cloud Ruler Temple and The Blades line up for Martin. There was always the one Blade that would smile and stare at me during the entire ceremony just because I was standing close to him.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 12:18 PM, Dean wrote: I'll definitely be aiming to get all the achievements for this, so that will add some play time to the game for me, as if Skyrim needs more hours of playtime anyway. If it's anything like Oblivion, I'll want to do several playthroughs as well. I'm a little less compelled to do that now though, seeing as we have access to all the skills anyway, but I'd like to play through as a Breton mage as well, which is my usual second character in TES games.

The achievements seem pretty doable for this game. I think I'm going to do that as well.
Problem is, the first companions achievement bugged out for me and I didn't get that.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 04:32 PM Reply

It is just as bad as Oblivion. Still, I laugh every time I hear Arnold Schwarzenegger sound-alike.

Nope, only the guy in Whiterun that is always shouting about Talos and everything.

animehater
animehater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 05:21 PM Reply

I despise trolls.

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 04:30 PM, Wolfos wrote: The achievements seem pretty doable for this game. I think I'm going to do that as well.
Problem is, the first companions achievement bugged out for me and I didn't get that.

Yea. For the most part it's a case of time rather than effort. I think the only achievements that I might struggle with are the one that included pickpocketing 50 times and the other that requites a 1000 bounty in all the holds. Not that either will be particularly hard, but I'll have to intentionally try to get them, rather than them coming to me naturally.

BBS Signature
ShadowXbladE
ShadowXbladE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Whenever i go to some thieves fort my game crashes on my pc... any suggestions?

I'm a nerd. In other words, I'm awesome.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 06:04 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 05:46 PM, ShadowXbladE wrote: Whenever i go to some thieves fort my game crashes on my pc... any suggestions?

Wash your disk, might be smudged.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 06:28 PM Reply

Okay, the Dark Brotherhood definitely has the best quest line.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Ok you guys, whoever murdered my wife is going to get fucked up.

Ysolda, why?!

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature