Respond to this Topic
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:16 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 11:09 AM, PiGPEN wrote: I can't really see how anything on newgrounds would really warrant anything more than a cease&desist from these vultures.

These guys love to send out 'settle or else' letters. There's law firms out there who make profits by mailing these out en masse. I doubt they'd send them out for a small clip, but you never know.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

DonkeysBazooka
DonkeysBazooka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:33 AM Reply

oops.

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 02:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 01:09 PM, Wolfos wrote: Well, for music, you had already found the brilliant solution that is the audio portal.
What I would also like to see, are some sound effects in the audio portal, maybe even a specific page for it.
The Audio Portal actually launched with sound effects but it became a huge mess. We have a goal of having a soundbank, fingers crossed.

A NG SOundbank is a great Idea
sometimes the hardest part of making a Flash is finding the Sound Effects

Pelemus-McSoy
Pelemus-McSoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 01:17 PM Reply

Sorta makes me glad I try to use as many original materials as possible.

But the one time I decide to finally animate Mr. Scruff's "Fish"...

Coming soon: Bill's Quest

About goddamned time!

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I know the web and Newgrounds have been like the wild west, but times are changing.

):
Oh well...
Luckely there's a lot of badass music to work with in the audioportal. Also, good thing you mentioned google images. Kind of disapointing news, but I'm glad to be aware of it.

Also dicks are still ok.

Good.

Whirlguy Whirls your Whirld.

BBS Signature
Clovis15
Clovis15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 04:44 PM Reply

Dear Tom,

Our next animation was going to feature a 20 second segment of a song that was resung from scratch and the words mostly changed for parodic effect. What exactly is the appropriateness of this on Newgrounds?

Sincerely,
CTU Production Staff

Chrono Trigger Unglued - A Flash Retelling of Chrono Trigger that knows just how important your Ether is.

Work-Study - Squirrel Armies, Code Red, Elite Booze Agents, & More!

redminus
redminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 12/14/10 10:50 AM, matthewkinse wrote: Newgrounds users have to develop original content for everything they do but sites like youtube are allowed to take whatever they want from this site including the entire piece altogether.

I wouldn't say that's the case, I mean just take a look at Oney's page header.

It would probably expedite the flagging process if you were to have all of your flashes posted on your own youtube account as you complete them, simply so they can verify dates on their side, and if you want your stuff to stay only viewable on NG then just make all your youtube versions unlisted or private.
There are writer's guilds and such that offer the same kinds of services, archiving your work for a fee so that if anything ever comes into conflict, they can verify the date down to the day. Back in the day when people in indie bands would burn CDs or make tapes (lol) at home, a common idea at the time was to mail one to yourself and leave it unopened, that way it would be sealed and dated in case of some kind of issue in the future.
Thanks to ALL TEH INT0RNETS now though, people have to do much less of that IRL. If someone jacks your Flash you can just point the youtube admin to your version on NG and it'll prove the date and time.

But yeah that said, doesn't that kind of make the point clearer? If you were wandering around youtube/vimeo/whatever and stumbled upon a video of someone's that used a portion of something you made, with or without credit, you'd probably shit a hot dry brick of RAEG that they hadn't at least asked you first. Especially if you found that they had placed paid ads on it.
Play fair.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously.

I probably wont, for the following reasons.

The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends. Otherwise, take that inspiration and find a song you have permission to use. There are thousands of artists in the Audio Portal who are available for that sort of thing, as well as independent artists across the web who can be contacted for permission.

What about music that's royalty free? What about songs composed in Mixcraft or Garage Band that only allow you to create songs through pre-created audio clips? Or what about people who can filter the music through an audio filter and make alterations to what the song sounds like without changing the notes? What about cover songs? What about music that's not registered in the U.S. such as Showtaro Morikubo's music? What about all the many ways a person can jackass around this... wait what is this exactly? Is it a request or a new rule you're going to establish? And why are you saying all this? What brought it up and what's the problem with outsourcing mainstream music if you're not profiting from it? Are you just saying "don't expect the front page because, although we're not banning it entirely, we're not supporting it either" or "This is a new rule, we're not supporting it and we'll eventually ban it" or "This is some new obscure internet law that I've vaguely expressed or explained in this post that we're making changes to comply with"?

The next time you need art for your game or movie, DO NOT image search Google and grab something from the results. Many of those items are registered with enforcement agencies that will levy strict penalties for unlicensed use.

Although it takes forever to do, this isn't hard to slip around. Rotoscoping the material is one way to do it; tracing over the original image and applying your own graphics. Besides, aren't these already the rules?

I know the web and Newgrounds have been like the wild west, but times are changing.

Why? I still don't understand this, what brought it up or where this is coming from.

Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative.

I'm not much of a collaborator unless I'm leading it, I don't much feel like turning to other people to make their additions to my work because I don't grow, learn or develop as a media artist if I do and yes there are plenty of alternatives; you're just ignoring them.

If you are starting a project now and hope to be featured on NG when you're done, keep this post in mind. Content featuring original art and audio will be king. Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

Should I be surprised? Sprite flashs aren't exactly the most desirable kind of flash you know.

But despite all this Tom, I'm still sadened by this news post of yours. Remember back in the day when you were defending EvilDave's work from Schulz's lawyers because EvilDave made a parody flash on Charlie Brown? How you fought so desperately to keep it on the site and ended up having to pull out because of funding issues?

Now... Now this...

Well then again, I guess it's just you telling us what our boundaries are. Just making it crystal clear for everyone who didn't already get that memo?

redminus
redminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 12/14/10 06:32 PM, phsychopath wrote:
I probably wont, for the following reasons.

STFU

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 05:49 PM, redminus wrote: It would probably expedite the flagging process if you were to have all of your flashes posted on your own youtube account as you complete them, simply so they can verify dates on their side, and if you want your stuff to stay only viewable on NG then just make all your youtube versions unlisted or private.

fuck that is a GREAT Idea. definitely will be doing this for future projects.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:20 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 06:32 PM, phsychopath wrote: But despite all this Tom, I'm still sadened by this news post of yours. Remember back in the day when you were defending EvilDave's work from Schulz's lawyers because EvilDave made a parody flash on Charlie Brown? How you fought so desperately to keep it on the site and ended up having to pull out because of funding issues?

Now... Now this...

Lol, so easy to yell at Tom to.....

"Stick to to the man!! WHO CARES IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY OR A STAFF TO WORRY ABOUT.." GO AHEAD TOM, USE ALL YOUR RESERVES AND FIGHT DA POWAHH"

........ all this From the comfort of your mommy's basement.

MinatoArisato
MinatoArisato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 07:06 AM Reply

I understand where you're coming from Tom. I'd like to think any changes like this are like a piece of the Newgrounds soul going into cold sleep for awhile til it's safe again. This place holds a ton of memories for me. So I'm glad you're trying to preserve the older content.

Still, there has to be a better way or some loophole that can be exploited. I've always been of the opinion that if someone isn't making money off something there's no legal matter to speak of. Of all the portal submissions with fan made music videos the comments are either about the animation or in support of the original artist. If anything it helps spread the music and make it known.

I'm not asking you to stick your neck out for a bunch of anonymous internet users, But I hope we as a group can figure something out eventually.

SoundAlchemy
SoundAlchemy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 08:27 AM Reply

"Stick to to the man!! WHO CARES IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY OR A STAFF TO WORRY ABOUT.." GO AHEAD TOM, USE ALL YOUR RESERVES AND FIGHT DA POWAHH"

Its so easy to love on Tom,

"Bow down! Nepotism! Go ahead Tom, save your money! Give in to the power!

.......... all this From the comfort of your 3 story home.

lol

BarkBarkBOOM
BarkBarkBOOM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 10:48 AM Reply

Just wondering, are covers from songs, uploaded in the portal, still ok, or it's the same thing?

Still, I know there are Twilight forums with more posting options than the NG BBS.
My gallery

BBS Signature
Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 06:32 PM, phsychopath wrote:
But despite all this Tom, I'm still sadened by this news post of yours. Remember back in the day when you were defending EvilDave's work from Schulz's lawyers because EvilDave made a parody flash on Charlie Brown? How you fought so desperately to keep it on the site and ended up having to pull out because of funding issues?

dont be so moron, Tom is doing this to support the NG artist from the Art and the Audio Portal to make better Team work.

In the latest update of the Newgrounds page, you can specify the contribution of the co-authors. Before this nobody fucking care about the Voice actors for example, now you can give credit to the users using this.

So dont be a douche.

Winds of Change

Short-Factor
Short-Factor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 11:28 AM Reply

I totally understand these new policies.
But so help me god
if the arfenhouse series is ever removed from Newgrounds
I think I will have to strangle someone.

No matter how good you are at something, there is always someone better. I'm living proof of that.

Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 11:28 AM, Short-Factor wrote: I totally understand these new policies.
But so help me god
if the arfenhouse series is ever removed from Newgrounds
I think I will have to strangle someone.

Don't do it, you get banned for having bad karma.

BBS Signature
MastaFran
MastaFran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 01:05 PM Reply

We can still outsource sound effects right?

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 08:27 AM, SoundAlchemy wrote:

Its so easy to love on Tom,

"Bow down! Nepotism! Go ahead Tom, save your money! Give in to the power!

.......... all this From the comfort of your 3 story home.

lol

how is it nepotism, to back up the person who is making sure we all have a site/job to come back to?

Also I dont know about you, but I dont have a 3 story home, but what I do have I have to pay for.
maybe one day when you actually have responsibilities in life, you wont be talking shit from the safety of your mommy's home..

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 01:44 PM, MindChamber wrote: stuff stuff

how is it nepotism, to back up the person who is making sure we all have a site/job to come back to?

Also I dont know about you, but I dont have a 3 story home, but what I do have I have to pay for.
maybe one day when you actually have responsibilities in life, you wont be talking shit from the safety of your mommy's home..

Dude dont waste your breath, sure that guy doenst understand the responsability of having a company or having a family. He dont understand that you dont win money to survive you need money to grow and improve your life. Ng is already a big site, but sure that Tom wants it bigger and better, thats why he want more cooperation between the Art-Music-Flash to make better content in a future and OMG THAT FROST´D PICTURE IS AWESOME!!!!

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:09 PM Reply

BTW. I consider Vimeo one of the most creative sites on the web.
One of the man reason is because they have stringent rules on what can or can't be uploaded.

Do you think they have rows of babies complaining about how they should run the site? no.. They don't,

What they do have some of the most professional and eclectic pieces of media on the net.
and the number 1 rule, on their submissions page squares it all away.

Winds of Change

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 01:59 PM, Osuka wrote: OMG THAT FROST´D PICTURE IS AWESOME!!!!

lol the blue vagina mouth is the best part :3

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 02:09 PM, MindChamber wrote: BTW. I consider Vimeo one of the most creative sites on the web.
One of the man reason is because they have stringent rules on what can or can't be uploaded.

Do you think they have rows of babies complaining about how they should run the site? no.. They don't,

What they do have some of the most professional and eclectic pieces of media on the net.
and the number 1 rule, on their submissions page squares it all away.

Good example. Now, if only one could easily embed NG vids on other sites, like with Vimeo...
Why don't we have that ability? Is it a programming, legal, financial, or time issue?

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 02:26 PM, Rig wrote:

Good example. Now, if only one could easily embed NG vids on other sites, like with Vimeo...
Why don't we have that ability? Is it a programming, legal, financial, or time issue?

I totally agree, its been discussed though. If I had to guess its one of them post redesign features.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 02:38 PM Reply

I don't see why this is so hard to understand for people, it seems they believe that if their argument is practical then everything is okay.

It's not copyright opinion. It's copyright law.

You have a problem? Speak to your congressman, because that's where these winds are coming from.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

ohaihappyface
ohaihappyface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

Why's everyone giving Tom shit for helping everyone out? Who the heck wants to get sued over infringement and how is it his fault? There are times when you gotta stick it to the man, and there are times where you have to survive so all you dumb ass people trying to sound cool and revolt just stfu if you have a problem with it then leave NG. Simple as that.

MinatoArisato
MinatoArisato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 04:01 PM Reply

We'd need a convincing argument first.

rifledark1
rifledark1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:21 AM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.
Thank god.

Seconded.

#1 Penis worshipper. <3

TheElSalvador
TheElSalvador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 12/15/10 01:44 PM, MindChamber wrote: how is it nepotism, to back up the person who is making sure we all have a site/job to come back to?

Love it.

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

superluigi4ever0
superluigi4ever0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 15th, 2010 @ 10:11 PM Reply

meh, i guessssssssssss