Be a Supporter!
TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Megaman style game 2010-12-08 01:07:36 Reply

Ok a while back me and a friend talked about making a (don't want to give it away)/megaman styled game. A few months pass by and he got a game maker program but it was a bit above us. Then (GF2) showed up and I like it. Anyway he has the main character sheet done and that puts me in the "make him move" part to this game of ours.

Right now I just want to make a demo so we know what we're doing.

I relize this will take a long while to do, but I'm will to take my time to make this work.

Right now I just want to add him to my library and need to know how to do that with his sprite sheet.

(Also the sprites are based on NES megaman)

BBS Signature
HangEmHigh20
HangEmHigh20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-08 08:33:27 Reply

You'll have to create an active object and add in the animations frame by frame. For future reference, heres a good tip to creating "megaman style" shooting:
Name a flag "shot direction" or something to remember what it is. When the left key is pressed, turn the flag off, and when the right key is pressed, turned the flag on. Have the character shoot the bullets either to the left or the right, depending on whether the flag is off (to shoot a bullet left) or on (to shoot a bullet right). Hope this answers your question and gives ya a little bit of help :)

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-08 09:33:58 Reply

Ok I see that! :D But do I have to crop from the sheet (is there a proper method?) or remake the guy just from reference?

thank you

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-08 10:00:52 Reply

At 12/8/10 09:33 AM, TheBoyOfAges wrote: Ok I see that! :D But do I have to crop from the sheet (is there a proper method?) or remake the guy just from reference?

thank you

When you create a new Active Object you can import a file. So yeah, you'd pull in the whole sheet and crop for all the frames (or crop them prior and save them all as separate files).

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-08 10:34:25 Reply

He can move now! Now im making him jump; but I need to make him some platform and every time I insert one from the library I can never get them to show up on the Event Editor.

BBS Signature
DavidXN
DavidXN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-08 12:51:13 Reply

If the platforms are Backdrop Objects, then these don't show up in the event editor - if you go into their properties, you can set their type to Obstacle. These backdrops are referred to collectively as "the backdrop" in the Event Editor, in events such as [Active object] > Collisions > Collides with a backdrop (an event for which you would want to tell the active object to stop, if it had a platform movement).

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-09 12:19:28 Reply

Ok getting a few issues.

Want player to shoot: I "think" I have him ready I have his launch sprite ready and currently adding the shot sprite, but I need to know how to make that work and add buttons to assign to do that. Also making sure it looks like its coming out of the blaster area.

Enemy pattern: I have a block for a practice enemy and gave it movement but even if I put it's speed at one it seems a bit too quick. ( There's more to it but I talk about it when someone responds)

Ladder issue: Every time I test my player and he gets on it and is stationary on it he still has the movement animation playing.

BBS Signature
HangEmHigh20
HangEmHigh20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-09 13:22:12 Reply

For the shooting you're going to want to import the animation for shooting, then in the event editor

when button is pressed > have megaman shoot the bullet object. Up further on the post I explained a good method of having him shoot only to the left or to the right using a flag, true to the classic megaman games.

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-09 14:00:23 Reply

At 12/9/10 12:19 PM, TheBoyOfAges wrote: Also making sure it looks like its coming out of the blaster area.

This will involve setting the 'Action Point' to the blaster area in the appropriate frames.

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

delibrete
delibrete
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-10 05:04:33 Reply

Here is a very simple Megaman engine I made.

It should give you a starting point or some guidance.

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-10 14:27:20 Reply

At 12/10/10 05:04 AM, delibrete wrote: Here is a very simple Megaman engine I made.

It should give you a starting point or some guidance.

Ok this really helps with my jumping issue, and after talking to my co-author he's cool with my showing what we're working on.

Plasma-cut Man AKA Issac Clarke (the .jpg suck but the .png is good)

Megaman style game

BBS Signature
ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-10 19:22:01 Reply

That does sound like a splendid game idea. If you do end up doing a Megaman-style thing, there's a wonderful Megaman/Zelda style scrolling tutorial here, in addition to other things.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
metroidfannumber1
metroidfannumber1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-16 02:11:01 Reply

im working on a megaman style game too! its not an uncommon idea.

TOAST

darkeSoft
darkeSoft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Megaman style game 2010-12-16 17:48:58 Reply

If you ever upgrade to MMF2, there is an extension that lets you use Spritesheets :D

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."

Need webhosting? Try AtomicPages