Be a Supporter!

racing game question

  • 177 Views
  • 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
bica1
bica1
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
racing game question Dec. 4th, 2010 @ 10:45 PM Reply

Hello,

I had a question in regards to the making of a racing game.

I was looking at this game: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/38 6254

I was curious in regards to the ground and how it moves in relation to the car. I was wondering, do you draw a giant flat picture of the racetrack, and then project it through Z space?

I'm not sure how to do the background in an art sense. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

bica1
bica1
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to racing game question Dec. 4th, 2010 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 12/4/10 10:45 PM, bica1 wrote: Hello,

I had a question in regards to the making of a racing game.

I was looking at this game: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/38 6254

I was curious in regards to the ground and how it moves in relation to the car. I was wondering, do you draw a giant flat picture of the racetrack, and then project it through Z space?

I'm not sure how to do the background in an art sense. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Sorry, 1 more thing. When I mean the background, I mean the actual ground where the cars are driving(and the track itself and how it moves). Not the actual game background. Thanks again!

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Programmer
Response to racing game question Dec. 4th, 2010 @ 11:11 PM Reply

You would have to use a 3d engine. That game certainly did.


BBS Signature
bica1
bica1
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to racing game question Dec. 4th, 2010 @ 11:54 PM Reply

At 12/4/10 11:11 PM, sandwich-eater wrote: You would have to use a 3d engine. That game certainly did.

The 3D engine is not a problem, but I'm not sure how the artists actually do the road art. Do they take a giant 3D plane and then texture it with a map? Or did they just take a jpeg and then use flash to flatten the ground?

Those are my main questions....not sure how to achieve that result :)

UnknownFury
UnknownFury
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Programmer
Response to racing game question Dec. 5th, 2010 @ 03:27 AM Reply

I haven't read this yet, but i had it bookmarked, and it might explain what you need to know.

bica1
bica1
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to racing game question Dec. 5th, 2010 @ 09:47 AM Reply

At 12/5/10 03:27 AM, UnknownFury wrote: I haven't read this yet, but i had it bookmarked, and it might explain what you need to know.

thanks, I will read that, it could be the trick. If anyone else knows or wants to give info, I would really appreciate it. thanks again!