New Topic Respond to this Topic
DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 04:45 PM Reply

:D thanks? :D Well I have a Great Drive to Animate and I have a great Teacher :D

Animation I want to be the Best Fucker.

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:57 AM Reply

We should make a compilation of everything posted here and submit it to the portal.

"Animation Practice Collab Compilation"

How bout it?

DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:59 AM Reply

that'd Actually be pretty cool but it would be one big ass file

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 12/23/11 02:59 AM, LazyAss23 wrote: that'd Actually be pretty cool but it would be one big ass file

i dunno. Theres a lot of small shitty files. So it would kinda compensate.
It took me half an hour to go through all the posts. If you filter it down it wouldn't be that big tbh.

Also a lot of files got deleted. And a lot of artists don't even check here anymore, a lot of works in progress.

Doesn't seem worth it.

DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:29 AM Reply

you literally want a death wish.

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 07:43 PM Reply

I figure this is the animation forum's version of the reg lounge, so lemme just start off a tiny rant.

I wish people would post more about wanting help for specific things or the program of flash. Hard questions, questions that seem simple and then get complex later, stuff like that. Not this "Moving Outlines" kind of stuff. I want real good questions. Not saying i don't want those simple questions here though, lemme explain.

Two reasons. First one being that I love helping people. I love being able to take a question that seems simple and warp their understanding of that aspect of animation or flash. I like being able to type for what seems like hours on end explaining exactly what's going on in their animation (or potential animation) and giving them a full understanding of a subject so they are able to use it in multiple situations, instead of just the specific one they want. This way they are better prepared in the future. I like this.

Second reason is that i like it when people want to learn. I like it when people come here for help, and me or some other people are able to give them exactly what they want and then some. I love it when someone comes out of something with more than they expected, and as a result improves exponentially because of this. I also like this.

When i see questions that are asking for specific, simplified information, i'm not able to show them as much as i'd like to, not able to teach them all that i could. Not only that, normally other people have these topics covered quite quickly, so i tend to leave these threads alone.

Does anyone else feel a lot of joy out of helping people out on this forum and knowing that you just helped build a strong foundation for what came later? Or would you just prefer to give the quick answer that gets them in and out?

Sig made by me
Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor
Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 12:16 AM Reply

At 12/23/11 08:20 PM, Otto wrote: Anything you can say about my first run cycle?

I like it! You could try stretching the character when it hits the ground so it will give the illusion of weight.

Animation Practice!?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 12:30 AM Reply

Any feedback on my walking scene?
It's supposed to be like in some movies when the camera closely follows the actor. The character's legs are under water so it moves a little slow.
I'm planning to use the V-cam to make it look more realistic...

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:20 AM Reply

At 12/23/11 08:20 PM, Otto wrote:
Anything you can say about my first run cycle?

Looks really nice for what you need it to do. A bit stiff but it works. In case you were wondering some of the stiffness is caused by the really fast inbetween motion and the arms staying close to the end of their swings for most of their loop. Doesn't really matter, just depends on how you want your animation to look.

There's a bit of a problem with the legs though. Make them different! It's hard to tell which leg is which sometimes, which gets confusing. This is caused by the same (or similar) leg animation for both legs, which ends up making the legs looking like they're closing and opening rather than actually running. Probably the best solution is to make the start and end position of each leg different from the other. Just a tiny displacement of the feet will change this entirely.

Finally another thing that could be problematic about the arms is that the majority of the stiffness comes from the arms barely changing positions during their swing. I mean they do swing, but it looks almost like the same arm pivoting on a point. Not all parts move at the same time, unless they're on a robot. All parts move at a different rate. For example, think of a simple arm swing. The leading action would tend to come from the shoulder as the pivot, so the bicep would move first and swing naturally. The forearm would follow the bicep around (instead of being attached firmly) and the hands would follow the forearm. This can be exaggerated to great lengths or receded to the utmost subtly, but either way the audience will definitely be able to 'feel' the difference in flexibility. For a more forceful swing the force originates from the torso, which would mean the shoulder swings first, with everything following behind. This is only one example, try using it elsewhere!

Now keep in mind with every advice that can be given that you can keep it the way it is if that's really what you want in your animation, but at the same time stick these ideas in the back of your head so you know what you're intentionally missing out on, and so you know what it could look like. That's how you decide how to animate something, you choose one idea over another, keeping all different ways and paths open to thought. You may even change halfway through

Looks great though, and also, you're only one year younger than me! Don't worry about age getting in the way of things, it's really just maturity and knowledge that matters.

PRACTICE. ALL THE TIME.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 02:48 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 10:19 AM, Otto wrote: Sadly I believe I've made it much worse.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9a2d 557a4acd36c17dd30b28849a7ae4

The problem with this one (i'm gonna only really touch on the legs this time) is that everything is moving at the same rate all the time (for the most part). You've got to ease things in and out at different points in the cycle, and really make that foot slam down as it touches the ground to give the viewer the feel that your character is putting weight on that foot. As it looks now it's more floating with strides :P

also with the arms the one major problem i see is that it just snaps at the back swing. For one frame it's further than all the other frames and then it just pops back. I think you should put more frames there to really give it the feel of a swing (slow at front and back). In case you misunderstood from last time, yes the arm swing does have to be slow at the front and back, but you don't need to make it a super fast swing in the middle.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
cmkinusn
cmkinusn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 25th, 2011 @ 09:43 PM Reply

fluffomix, two problems with your desire for more complex and difficult questions:

Those who have complex questions are already skilled at what they do, and tend to be self-reliant. Though they may ask someone they know over messenger or the like, they probably won't even desire opinions on this board.

Those who do ask these complex questions on the board are probably just stalling. Questions such as:

1. What kinds of methods are there for shading characters and/or backgrounds?
2. What are the benefits of using pose to pose instead of straight ahead animating?
3. etc.

People who ask these questions probably couldn't think of anything to animate, or are stuck in a current animation.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you desire as far as complex questions go, I was thinking questions that require thinking but can't be definitively answered either way.

I much rather answer simple questions (that aren't of a technical nature) that revolve around linking resources as the answer. The reason being: I am no professional, so why should I answer a question that I clearly am not qualified for when there are dozens, if not hundreds, of professional answers online?

Current Projects
Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)
Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 26th, 2011 @ 01:51 AM Reply

I made something.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 27th, 2011 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 12/26/11 01:51 AM, Damien wrote: I made something.

Awesome. Reminds me of LazyMuffin

fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 27th, 2011 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 12/27/11 01:10 PM, Otto wrote: Fluff, I gave it some more today. Had my tablet not working when I opened flash, but I've fixed all my drivers up now.

Boosted the fps to 30 to match the added inbetweens. The hair is yet to be done, I imagine that will be simple but tedious..

that's looking pretty nice, but 30 fps is NOT the way to go :P

industry standard is 24, as it works better for timing and gives the animation the feel of incomplete smoothness, which ends up making the animation look more attractive.

The theory is this: The less realistic and more simple an image looks, the more likable we'll find it because we'll pick out the things the seem more human, and attach to that. The more realistic something looks, the more creepy we'll find it because we'll point out the things that don't seem human (our eyes are brilliant at this) and attach to that.

This goes with all forms of realism/simplification. The smoother something becomes, the less appealing it looks overall and the more we'll avoid it. The choppier something becomes, so long as the prime movement is still there, the more we'll enjoy it. This animation is a great example of this. It uses a human body as a puppet for stop motion, and while watching it and studying it, you can tell that it IS stop motion. You can also tell that if they had just done CG for it instead of stop motion and had the man film out the actions it wouldn't look nearly as good.

24fps is the perfect mix of choppiness and timing potential. It makes it easier to time out basic movements from everyday life and chop things into halves (24,12, 6) rather than 30fps (30, 15, ....7.5?) and keeps it from dipping into the uncanny valley (which is the point where something looks too real and ends up looking creepy)

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 28th, 2011 @ 01:03 PM Reply

This was originally gonna be in the christmas loops collab, but I missed the deadline by a few hours :L

I feel like I should do something with it, so i'ma post it here.

(For some reason it lags on the one frame when he's putting the present down, though it doesn't lag when I play it in flash.)

GamerTag: MEGAxCptnWalrus

davimink
davimink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 29th, 2011 @ 12:54 AM Reply

How do you animate colored cartoons on Flash?
I am confused on how to keep a constant line quality for every frame. Do I retrace the character on every frame? And do I recolor the character individually on each frame?

It's a pain in the ass and I was wondering if there were better methods.

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 29th, 2011 @ 09:13 AM Reply

At 12/29/11 12:54 AM, davimink wrote: I am confused on how to keep a constant line quality for every frame.

This is why the line tool was created: For consistent linework. However, many prefer the brush tool.

Do I retrace the character on every frame? And do I recolor the character individually on each frame?

Yes, if you're doing FBF.

It's a pain in the ass and I was wondering if there were better methods.

The better method in this instance would be creating a tweenable character rig.

BBS Signature
Roxas552
Roxas552
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?

Jomillex
Jomillex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 12/30/11 10:40 PM, Roxas552 wrote: I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?

GoAnimate is probably one of the best alternatives to flash! It is used by the makers of Family Guy, American Dad, And the Simpsons! Not to mention Harry Partridge and Chris Oneil!
Check it out!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 1st, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Working on something sort of big. Probably won't get past the animatic or rough animation stage, but if it does i plan on getting other people to help me (my immediate considerations are elkins for backgrounds and psychicpebble for additional animation) because this is NOT gonna be a small project.

But i doubt i'll have the motivation that, at least not any time soon. When i get home from my job at the animation studio, even though i'm not animating the LAST thing i wanna do is animate :P

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 1st, 2012 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 12/30/11 10:56 PM, Jomillex wrote:
At 12/30/11 10:40 PM, Roxas552 wrote: I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?
GoAnimate is probably one of the best alternatives to flash! It is used by the makers of Family Guy, American Dad, And the Simpsons! Not to mention Harry Partridge and Chris Oneil!
Check it out!

dude you cant go around spilling the professional industry secrets...

i gues its too late, yes, anyone in his right mind will use GoAnimate instead of all the other crap

ama gon chill

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

I spend almost two hours making a kick-ass run-cycle inspired by the one in Legend of Johnny

Break it down, Frame by Frame:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/db0a b2ed4ea076f54c5cb0aafbfa1cc8

The Run in action:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7e9d 94bc7b53d1b34087a4b2f9ed9f74

Animation Practice!?

BBS Signature
KodoPuppy
KodoPuppy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 4th, 2012 @ 11:07 PM Reply

Here's something I did in two days with photoshop animation. First day to make the art and test the animation, the second day to get it complete. It's actually my first time in a long time animating and the first time I worked with photoshop as a tool for animation. It definitely has it's advantages over flash, mostly in the visual department, but I don't think I would use it for long animations just short ones like this.

Probably going to give it a second go and build on it, perhaps make the plant grow from the red orb or something. What do you guys think?

Joeylicious
Joeylicious
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 06:51 AM Reply

Here's a couple of tidbits that I made.

FBF Facial Test
Gorilla

Jomillex
Jomillex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 1/4/12 11:07 PM, KodoPuppy wrote: Here's something I did in two days with photoshop animation.

This isn't good at all. Take your time next time or if your better with flash use it.
The animation has a terrible lag. the clouds are moving in all directions and appear to be moving fast as well. I dont get why there's a floating.... Plant is it? The clouds look like they were shodilly painted and given a blur so you couldn't tell.

@JoeyNG

OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS SHIT IS AMAZING YES!!!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 01:28 AM Reply

Rough animation im working on

its for the 60 frames collab, the preloader will be in the collab too

ama gon chill

SpamOfCan
SpamOfCan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 19th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jimmy the Rabbit Masturbates

bonkanailios
bonkanailios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

Howdy,
thought I'd get in on some of this animation goodness.
This is a rough draft of a spell I'm working on for a game that may or may not ever exist.
<a>http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9 755b3bcfdefa4316bcf4370babda3b5<a>

bonkanailios
bonkanailios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 12/27/11 06:29 PM, Otto wrote:

works at 30 and he does fine, but here is what is almost certainly my final draft.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/30ce 990c615e2c7434a180ed16cb5f61

Digging the smears on that mop!

MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Practice!? Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

Any feedback on this silly loop? It was made in about two hours, I probably spent more time on it than I should :/

Animation Practice!?

BBS Signature