HLG
HLG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 14:28:00

At 11/19/10 02:17 PM, CAN-OF-SPAM wrote:
At 11/19/10 01:46 PM, HLG wrote: where should i place a link to the game that i've submitted?
You can post it anywhere in this thread.

okay thanks, just making sure this was the right place

graphics arent amazing and there are some minor bugs but i take pride in the soundtrack and the level design!!

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 15:22:42

OMG, a forum for an easy to make game engine? Sweet!

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
CAN-OF-SPAM
CAN-OF-SPAM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 20:34:04

Heres the final version of what i was making. also can anyone help me out here, i want to make another horizontal flight shooter and i went to the ships in the library and there all facing right, i want them to face left, is there any way i can make them face left?

Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:25:06

Alright, so I'm messing around with the different character settings and I have a question. I'm making the Walking animation for a character, and I can't seem to find an option to create a new frame. The only thing I see is a Duplicate Frame button.

EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:38:23

Here's a little something something I started fooling around with.

10 second timer for the first level. If you fall or the timer goes out, you lose a life. I'm going to keep making stages and eventually they'll be much longer and with that there will be higher set times and obstacles or enemies.

I didn't think platformers would be as easy to make as they are here. It's really cool.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:39:41

At 11/19/10 09:25 PM, Ptero wrote: Alright, so I'm messing around with the different character settings and I have a question. I'm making the Walking animation for a character, and I can't seem to find an option to create a new frame. The only thing I see is a Duplicate Frame button.

Sadly, there is no option to create a new frame. You just have to duplicate the frame and clear the canvas. Not really that hard to do, though, and in the end, you might want to use the duplicated frame for reference in the next frame.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:40:22

At 11/19/10 09:25 PM, Ptero wrote: Alright, so I'm messing around with the different character settings and I have a question. I'm making the Walking animation for a character, and I can't seem to find an option to create a new frame. The only thing I see is a Duplicate Frame button.

When you have your active object, double click it and you should see these options

use the folder icon at the top to import the animations and make sure you specify which direction they're to look by clicking on the points

The games factory regs lounge.

Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:52:16

I figured it out just by fucking around. Thanks anyway though!

Now there's another thing )this is my first time really using it besides the tutorial which is why I suck so much.) I want to make it like the tutorial where you can only move left and right, but with the keyboard instead of the mouse. I clicked on the Object and went under Movement, but I can't find anything that works correctly.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 21:55:16

There's the platform movement, but I think you're better off learning to make a custom platform movement system, as the default system's pretty damn buggy. Just PM me if you want to know some resources n' stuff.

BBS Signature
DavidXN
DavidXN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 22:44:31

Ptero, you could either use the Eight Directions movement and disable all directions except left and right, or you could make the object move yourself in the Event Editor with something like:

Repeat while Left is pressed
-> Set X position of object to X("Object") - 2

Repeat while Right is pressed
-> Set X position of object to X("Object") + 2

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-19 22:44:53

so this has it's own forum now.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-20 09:03:16

At 11/19/10 10:44 PM, JoSilver wrote: so this has it's own forum now.

It did since day one actually.

Anyway, I've finally found some time to finish up the first tutorial. I've been rather sick lately and on top of school work I haven't had time to mess with it anymore. Time to finish it up and then mess around with it to see what I can do.

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 14:10:41

I'm so sorry.

EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 18:26:08

My first game. Pretty happy with it.. It took about 2 days to make.

I learned a ton of new stuff while making it and I'll put that to use in the future. SEQUEL? Maybe.

Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 19:02:30

you should in your properties window for the string that shows the text for time limit, Uncheck display as background, then using a Always condition and the set Change alterable string to work like this...

"You have "+Str$( >Enter countdown variable here< )+" Seconds to find the exit, Hurry"

You would end up using the expression editor to achieve this, The line you would enter into the expression editor would look pretty much like it does above, except the >Enter countdown variable here< portion you would pull the value of the countdown into it and it will convert it to a displayable string in line with the rest of the text.

Then, maybe a sound for each second it counts down, When playing I had no idea I had to run to the exit to meet a time frame.

GREAT JOB WITH YOUR FIRST TGF2NG Game!

EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 19:56:23

At 11/21/10 07:02 PM, Clickteam wrote: Then, maybe a sound for each second it counts down, When playing I had no idea I had to run to the exit to meet a time frame.

Good idea... Added as of the minute I posted this.

GREAT JOB WITH YOUR FIRST TGF2NG Game!

Thx

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:23:17

Gotta fix that massive gravitational pull, man.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:26:04

At 11/21/10 08:23 PM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Gotta fix that massive gravitational pull, man.

what? Everything was set exactly the way I wanted. wat.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:28:53

Also, I've got an engine of my own I'm working on here.

Things I know about/haven't fixed:
-The character gets stuck in the platform occasionally
-You can get infinite jumps if you hug against a wall
-There's some serious lag
-Gargantuan file size

I really need help on that last three of those. The first should be fairly simple to fix. If anyone could help me out with that, I'll upload the mfa if needed.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:33:02

just finished up my first game. nothing special, but I feel like I've learned a good amount working on it :)

• Ambivelant
    Ambivelant by SineRider

Click to view.

Type
    Game
    Rated
    Everyone

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:43:15

I see the both of you are using standard platform movement. This is a big no-no if you want to make a quality game. I'd suggest using David's tutorial for fastloop movement here or here (See the "Static engine" tutorial). It takes a little more time, but is completely worth it.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:49:27

At 11/21/10 08:43 PM, ThePortalGuru wrote: I see the both of you are using standard platform movement. This is a big no-no if you want to make a quality game. I'd suggest using David's tutorial for fastloop movement here or here (See the "Static engine" tutorial). It takes a little more time, but is completely worth it.

Ugh, that tutorial using events and stuff was paintful to sit through and try to figure out. I'm more of a picture and video person rather than a text learner. Not saying it was bad, but I didn't get it.

I like the standard platform movment. If it works, I'll use it, and it definitely worked for me. It looks like you used the one that includes double jump.. and yours was also laggy as a side effect. it's not for me.

Also, sinerider, your game was really cool. The only problem I saw was on the third level with that one platform going up and down, I'd go right through it or it would get completely glitchy for some reason. Pretty good game though.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 20:57:53

At 11/21/10 08:49 PM, EJR wrote:
At 11/21/10 08:43 PM, ThePortalGuru wrote: I see the both of you are using standard platform movement. This is a big no-no if you want to make a quality game. I'd suggest using David's tutorial for fastloop movement here or here (See the "Static engine" tutorial). It takes a little more time, but is completely worth it.
Ugh, that tutorial using events and stuff was paintful to sit through and try to figure out. I'm more of a picture and video person rather than a text learner. Not saying it was bad, but I didn't get it.

I like the standard platform movment. If it works, I'll use it, and it definitely worked for me. It looks like you used the one that includes double jump.. and yours was also laggy as a side effect. it's not for me.

Also, sinerider, your game was really cool. The only problem I saw was on the third level with that one platform going up and down, I'd go right through it or it would get completely glitchy for some reason. Pretty good game though.

Actually, could change the amount of jumps you could have all by editing one value. I could also edit dash speed, add wall-jumping, swimming, and all sorts of crazy stuff like that. You may be fine with the built-in platform movement now, but you'll grow to love the amount of control you have with custom. Also, moving platforms are almost impossible to implement with the built-in movement.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-21 21:05:32

At 11/21/10 08:49 PM, EJR wrote:

Thanks for the links portal, I'll definietely look through them and try them out. I was havin a bit of trouble with the built in platform engine, so any other options will be great to try out

EJR: thanks for the compliments :) I'll take a look at the 3rd level and try and smooth that part out

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-22 03:49:08

Added some stuff. You can now name your character and have a nifty little thing above your head while you mess around. Also, added a neat little sound effect for hitting the ground and some music.

This was basically just a result of me messing around with stuff. The code's pretty messy, though, so I gotta look into cleaning that up, and there's also the matter of lowering filesize and finishing up that collision system.

BBS Signature
Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-22 09:35:35

I like your finished game Sinerider, PM me and I can give some tips if you want on how we can spruce it up!

Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-22 15:45:46

At 11/22/10 03:49 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Added some stuff. You can now name your character and have a nifty little thing above your head while you mess around.

I like what you are doing, but the drop shadow makes it hard to read the name.

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature
ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-22 16:23:58

At 11/22/10 03:45 PM, Darkmaster603 wrote:
At 11/22/10 03:49 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Added some stuff. You can now name your character and have a nifty little thing above your head while you mess around.
I like what you are doing, but the drop shadow makes it hard to read the name.

I realize that. I'll make a version without the drop shadow.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-23 00:39:53

If you've made a game with this program and submitted it to newgrounds make sure to drop me a PM. I'll get to reviewing it eventually as long as you promise to not delete the flash and to respond to it. :P I already reviewed two of the flashes that I saw in the thread, but I'm sure not all the game will be posted in here.

BBS Signature
Death
Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to The games factory regs lounge. 2010-11-24 11:19:59

At 11/16/10 05:54 PM, DavidXN wrote: Is pure black set as your transparent colour? (Check the spanner icon at the top right of the picture editor).

I can't for the life of me find this icon. help please.